Proud to be a Geordie?

Posted on June 19th, 2009 | 159 Comments |

Spot the Weight Watchers enthusiasts.
Spot the Weight Watchers enthusiasts.
Remember when all we had to worry about when it came to being ridiculed was beer-bellied fat lads taking their tops off at games, whether it was baking sunshine or minus 5? Unfortunately, there are lots of reasons for people to laugh at us now. Useless owners, comedy email addresses and relegation are just some of the things that have opposition fans squirming with mirth.

We were once a proud football club and perhaps we still retain some pride because as fans, we are after all, guilty only by association in the case of most of the above issues. Our dedication and loyalty while mocked and pitied by some is respected by many others. Some owners would dream of having a passionate following like ours and players often remark on how special our supporters are. But it’s all gone a bit sour of late and it’s hard to keep your chin up. Whatever the reason and whoever is ultimately to blame, the fans have been left alternatively disenchanted, disillusioned, disenfranchised and disinterested by recent events. Loyal fans who have been season-ticket holders for years even mooting that this may be the final straw and an afternoon in the pub, the Metrocentre or even the garden centre is more appealing.

And yet, in our darkest hour there is light at the end of this long tunnel. There is hope ahead. And while we have hope and blind faith and optimism, we’ll continue to pass on those other attractions because quite simply there’s only really one place to be come Saturdays during the football season and that’s keeping a close eye on all things Newcastle United.

Because despite our misfortune that we chose this particular club or else it chose us, there’s nothing quite like it and we wouldn’t swap it for the world.

NUFCBlog Author: bowburnmag bowburnmag has written 234 articles on this blog.

1. well ill always be proud to be a fan of this great club whether were in the champiuons league or championship

people may mock us and as the countrys official joke club i dont blame them it just gives me more determination to see us back in the league

2. 52 times my thoughts exactly

i dont know how long it will take to get back but i do know 1 thing and thats that WE WILL BE BACK

3. Check out the photo carefully and do my alternative ‘spot the….’ –

Mid-far left – Alan Oliver
    Above the naked bloke on the left – Rene from Allo Allo
    Below the naked bloke on the left – Amanda Holden
    Big fat bloke in the middle – The late John Candy (RIP)
    To the right of the big fat bloke in the middle – JAWS from The Spy Who Loved Me.

OK, it’s Friday afternoon and I’ve had a hard day, right!!

4. BBM

‘Check out the photo carefully and do my alternative ’spot the….’ -‘

Hilarious and true!!

5. ‘well ill always be proud to be a fan of this great club whether were in the champiuons league or championship’

BeyetheGreat

Too right. We may get rid of a few fair weather supporters next season but who cares. Unfortunatley love of the Toon is an affliction we must all bear!

6. Off topic but would anyone else like to see Paul Huntington come back? From what I remember he did very well when called upon a couple of year back. Still only 21 and is 6 ft 3.

7. The lesser Geordie gutbucket looks like he’s trying to avoid a nasty whiff from Beefy’s armpits. If his heed was any further back, he’d fall over!

8. beyethegreat says:
    June 19, 2009 at 2:50 pm

“also as a suggestion

why dont you put up a suggestion link ?”

Beye,

Forget what I wrote before. I’ve just put up a dedicated “site suggestions” page, just for you!

9. Not too bad, Deb, I haven’t been quite so busy today. I got that artwork thing out the way, and I’ve been building this thing up alot of the time.

10. Hi everyone, hope you’re well.

It’s a bit disappointing that there was no announcement about a manager, presumably Shearer, being appointed either temporarily or permanently.

There goes another week.

11. Workey, good to hear you haven’t been as busy today. I will write a couple more articles over the weekend. BBM is making me feel very guilty. He is a prolific writer or a geordie gob s***e like the rest of us I guess….

12. It’s a problem both ways, Hugh. Obviously we need a manager to crack on with things that need to be done. However, if they appoint Shearer, even on a short term contract, it will make the new owners very nervous about unseating the incumbent Toon superhero.

13. Hugh – I think the expression you’re looking for is –

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

14. Hugh

It does seem to be dragging on a bit doesn’t it? With the due diligence process underway ‘they’ reckon an announcement on new owners by the end of the month. Hoepfully there will be a decision a bit sooner than that regarding Shearer. The players will be reporting back for preseason traning in 12 days time!!

15. Aye Workey, I see the reasons, but I still feel the frustrations!

To make matters worse I have to visit the in-laws tomorrow!

16. geordie deb says:
    June 19, 2009 at 9:40 pm

“Workey, good to hear you haven’t been as busy today. I will write a couple more articles over the weekend. BBM is making me feel very guilty. He is a prolific writer or a geordie gob s***e like the rest of us I guess….”

That would be great Deb, if you could. You and Bowburn have both been absolutely great for this site, don’t forget that you have helped in other ways too!

17. I do worry about our upcoming season. After we were relegated I figured we’d be really switched on, replace the necessary players and be clinical in our approach to the new season.

Alas no.

It’s stretching my Zen nonchalance.

18. Even in the dark days of the Lord Westwood era etc can you remember the club ever being in such disarray as it is now? It seems unbelievable that nothing has really happened at the club (apart from being put up for sale)from the players finishing the season at Villa in May to starting back to preseason training!

19. deb – that’d be the latter.
    I wanted to write something else today but I was ridiculously busy.

workey – since giving me more privileges, I seem to have more features which has made inserting images and formatting and editing much, much easier. I was kind of tip-toeing through someone else’s html and winging it (which was probably evident judging by your doctoring of the ‘src’ and in general).

20. worky me lads just got back from cattrick .he,s been on the fireing range today marking the cards a new lad jus joined his squadron a mackem so when it come to giving the mackems score he marked it 10 les so the lad had to do 100 press up then a 6 k run for not getting enough points lol but he was trying take the p:ss oot of the toon on wednesday

21. I try not to think about the implications of this uncertainty and the directionless state of our club because quite frankly I think it will eventually make my eyes and ears bleed.

And I like to think I’m quite a level-headed and patient bloke on the whole. Imagine the jumpy-jacks?
    The pitchforks will be out soon. I predicted a riot if you remember?!?!

22. BBM

I can see the bedsheets being washed and prepared as we speak if this goes on much longer.

23. Bowburn,

You usually only get lots of code stuff in there when you paste in from a “Word” document. It puts lots of “proprietary” Microsoft tags in there, which are awful and aren’t really proper HTML.

24. Batty

That’s hilarious. Serves them right. I bet your glad to have him back in the UK

25. Batty, as it happened I had to put up with the company of a mackem for a painful hour yesterday, but the chink in his armour was the Steve Bruce thing. He was a bit sensitive about having a (alleged) Geordie as manager.

26. aye deb i am but he was gona come oot this year but changed his mind so he will be going afgan in january

27. Batty I’m sure it doesn’t make it any easier when he’s away but you must be really proud of him. It makes me ashamed how our lads get treated especially when you compare them to US soldiers for example

28. Workey, if you have a look at something like the ‘TinyMCE Advanced Editor’ plug-in (or any plug-in that unlocks more of the editor) there is a ‘Paste from Word’ facility, which makes it a whole lot easier for those who write articles in Word first.

29. geordie deb says:
    June 19, 2009 at 10:00 pm
    <<<< aye iam but its his mother that suffers pet and aye they treat them like shite

30. Well thank god for lads like them despite the appalling treatment they have to put up with from their paymasters.

31. All the engineers at my place are makems or smogs. They’ve been ok generally but gave me and the boss some grief the other day. I made one of them come by the office today for legit reasons and he was being all nice but I still offered him a cup of tea and put an old teabag and manky milk in. He drank it like. But then he’s makem so it was probably the best cuppa he’s had in ages.

32. I could never imagine in a million years being able to jump out of a plane. It makes me feel sick just thinking about it. I think someone would have to break my fingers I would be clinging on that hard to stop me going out

33. workey – I type straight into the editor but I looked up how to get images and captions because the ‘insert’ feature wasn’t there. So I pasted some code in. I don’t think the ‘media library’ was there either but I may have just not noticed it.

34. Workeyticket

‘Deb, it’s the army at Catterick, the Air Force is down the road at Leeming Bar.’

Is it? I always get them confused.

35. Aye Leeming Bar is the RAF.
    We look after some of their kit. Or we have a tender out I believe.

36. Workey/BBM

This is all sounding very technical! Workey is extending my privileges also, so I hope he doesn’t regret it as a lot of this techy stuff is over my head.

37. batty says:
    June 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm

“Leeming Bar i think you right there worky”

I used to go to school in that area for a while, batty. I’ve been inside Catterick quite a few times. I always remember that it used to have a funny smell in there. Don’t know if it’s still the same?

38. geordie deb says:
    June 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm

=====

I’d take some persuading too. Maybe if the plane was on fire.

I knew someone who did a parachute jump for charity and, annoyingly, she kept saying she was going to “jump out of a parachute for charity”.

I pointed out to her that the last thing you want to do in mid air is actually jump out of your parachute, but she kept on using that daft phrase.

39. do you make the hold website with codes? I had a mate at school who did a website in all code and that confused me.

40. ESAMIM, if you right click on this page and select ‘view source’ you’ll see the code behind the site.

41. Hugh – that made me literally laugh out loud.

Deb – no, once he promotes you to author, it makes providing your own photo for example, child’s play really. I’ll get your email address at some point and give you some pointers to give workey a break because he’ll be snowed-under.

workey – aha, that makes sense then!! I had a look at the ‘help’ section but hadn’t seen the bit about roles etc. I’ll now have to make my way to the top and before you know it I’ll be able to do anything and everything, and finally I will rule the entire world, mwahahahahaaaa

42. Changing the subject slightly, but has their been any word recently on SBR? I know his cancer is terminal etc but is he still being seen out in public etc. It would have been nice for the club to have dedicated something to him while he was still alive to see it, not that those two muppets would have organised anything even if we weren’t being sold

43. Deb,

Have a look at that WordPress codex link that I posted for Bowburn. Start at the “New to wordpress, where to start?” section.

Thanks Workey, I will diligently work my way through it

44. ESAMIM,

You get a basic wordpress, then you can upgrade the functionality with lots of “plugins”. If you’re “techy” and know stuff like “PHP”, “CSS” and “HTML”, you can also make alot of alterations to the site yourself, manually.

Deb,

Last thing I ever saw of him was at the games. I’ll never forget his “malignant melanoma” joke. He’s one of my favourite comedians!

45. Whenever I’m writing articles for WordPress I always do them in Notepad first anyway and then just paste them in.

I tend to find the latest WordPress interfaces are a bit slow and clunky.

46. Hugh de Payen says:
    June 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm

“Whenever I’m writing articles for WordPress I always do them in Notepad first anyway and then just paste them in.”

Me too, Hugh.

47. Poor SBR, if he was only 20 years younger. We need a man of his experience to guide the club through these turbulent times

48. Some good news…

When Cashley goes, I hope part of the deal is that he must take that tacky Sports Direct logo with him. How SJP was desecrated with that monstrosity.

49. Yeah, I have nothing but respect for SBR. Not just because of what he did for NUFC but I also think he’s basically a really, really nice guy.

50. Hugh
    Another reason why I hate FFS, the manner in which he sacked SBR. From my understanding SBR had an agreement with Fat Fred that he would leave at the end of the season. Instead 5 games into that season he sacked him. How humiliating for an elder statesman of the game to be treated in that manner by a despicable little thug like the scrapman

51. Deb, I agree. I thought it was a disgrace.

And I think his sacking was where this club’s downfall began to be honest.

There’s a fair argument that it might have started earlier but I think the sacking of SBR was pivotal.

52. Deb,

Diabolos said in public that he wouldn’t renew Robson’s contract at the end of the year. That’s one of the worst thing a chairman can possibly do in football, or any team sport for that matter. The moment you do that, you may as well fire the manager immediately.

53. i would remove anything Ashley has touched since he has been here. it could be contaminated.

54. Workey

Agree. How the manager can ever command respect as everyone knows he’s a bit of a lame duck. Remember when they did the same with Fergy, they soon back tracked there.

I love the ‘Geordie Satan’bit – every time I see a picture of his mug now I imagine it with horns coming out of his head. You’re going to have to doctor one of his photos Workey

55. geordie deb says:
    June 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm

“…Remember when they did the same with Fergy, they soon back tracked there.”

Deb,

Do you rememeber Fergie’s heart operation too? and how quiet they were about it at the time? It was totally “top secret”.

56. Re the Sports Direct sign. I’ve heard a few people suggest a scoreboard.

57. Workey

58. BBM

‘Re the Sports Direct sign. I’ve heard a few people suggest a scoreboard.
    The old scoreboard was class. It was hi-tech stuff at the time. With that little gadgey jumping up and down when we scored.’

Bet the little gadgey would have been another one made redundant. He wouldn’t have much work to do with the number of times we’ve scored

59. There should be a ceremonial burning of the Sports Direct sign, possibly Wicker Man style with Ashley as Edward Woodward.

Not sure who’d be our Britt Ekland.

60. Actually, was it one big gadgey and then lots of little gadgies holding hands? I’m having doubts!

It was made by Parsons I think or NEI at least.
    And it was modelled on the Wimbledon Centre Court and the graphics from Family Fortunes.

61. geordie deb says:
    June 19, 2009 at 11:13 pm
    “Workey

Yes the hacks managed to keep that quiet for fear of upsetting Ferie and Manure. Then look at the JK debacle where they went to town. One rule for us and another for most others – but then we play right into their hands so I bet they can’t resist”

62. wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy iiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssss mmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyy ppppppppppppppppppooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssstttttttttttttsssssssssssssss nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooootttttttttt sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooowwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg

63. ‘To be fair, that was mostly Man U and wily old fox, Fergie, Deb. Even the players didn’t know much about what was going on. It was like the CIA with those “rendition” flights.’

64. ‘There should be a ceremonial burning of the Sports Direct sign, possibly Wicker Man style with Ashley as Edward Woodward.

Not sure who’d be our Britt Ekland.’

Depends who’s got the best legs LOL!

65. geordie deb says:
    June 19, 2009 at 11:24 pm

“Profesionally run club then. Don’t air their dirty washing in public unlike us lot where it is hung on flag poles outside SJP for all to see.”

Aye Deb, but if they didn’t hang it up on the flagpoles, would we all moan about “lack of communication”?

66. The removal of the Sports Direct sign would be very symbolic, like pulling down the Saddam statue etc. (dont get heavy on me for making light of a big political issue, it was said tongue in cheek))

67. geordie deb says:
    June 19, 2009 at 11:32 pm

“(dont get heavy on me for making light of a big political issue, it was said tongue in cheek))”

I’m the worst offender on “politics” here, Deb.

68. bowburnmag says:
    June 19, 2009 at 11:36 pm

“Sorry workey. That’s twice now!”

It’s “worky” now. I changed it to the same spelling as I used at the other place.

69. Ah man, when did you do that? Have I been referring to you incorrectly for ages? I do prefer ‘worky’.

Did you read post 91?

70. Night Bowburn.

If you’re still there, did you know that the BBC demolished the real “room 101”? It was in Bush house down here in London until recently. It was George Orwell’s office.

71. Aye buenas noches amigos.

Until tomorrow!

Remember patience is a virtue which lets you sleep soundly.

72. geordie deb says:
    June 19, 2009 at 11:53 pm

“Thats a shame only 1000 tickets sold for SBR testimonial match”

It IS the Daily Mail though Deb. It could be wrong.

73. Thats true. You would think the local rags would be doing a bit more to try to promote it especially as one of the local hospitals will benefit from the proceeds

74. Deb, I think that they’re showing it on ITV4. I don’t know how much they’ve been doing to promote it in the Chronic and the Journal etc. I’m in the “Cockney Mafia” now!

75. Worky (please note correct spelling)
    Thats good. SBR is well respected by the majority of footie fans so there may be a reasonable armchair audience at least.

Well my eyes are saying it’s time to sleep. Such a shame I was going to leave my Cuban Diaries book for tonight and diligently study the starters guide to Word Press instead but thats scuppered that plan. Will have to read it tomorrow. If I get stuck I will give you a shout…
    Night night.

76. yeah, not bad mate, last thing I done was send you the…….CREAM TANGERINE, NICE APPLE TART, email indicating my workings. Must admit I’ve been warming mi slippers under Ed’s fire ever since. Looks nice in here though Works, get rid of that fkn woodchip though

77. All you punks and all you teds
    National Front and natty dreads
    Mods, rockers, hippies and skinheads
    Keep on fighting ’til you’re dead

Who am I to say?
    Who am I to say?
    Am I just a hypocrite,
    Another piece of your bullshit
    Am I the dog that bit
    The hand of the man that feeds it?

Do the dog, do the dog
    Do the dog, not the donkey
    Do the dog, don’t be a jerk
    Do the dog, watch who you work for
    Do the do the do the do the dog
    Everybody’s doing the dog

Take your F.A. aggravation
    Fight it out on New Street Station
    Master racial masturbation
    Causes National Front frustration

Who am I to say?
    To the IRA
    To the UDA
    Soldier boy from UK
    Am I just a hypocrite?
    Another piece of your bullshit
    Am I the dog that bit
    The hand of the man that feeds it?

Do the dog, do the dog
    Do the dog, not the donkey
    Do the dog, don’t be a jerk
    Do the dog, watch who you work for
    Do the do the do the do the dog,
    Do the do the do the do the dog,
    Do the do the do the do the dog,
    Everybody’s doing the dog.

78. Rodzilla says:
    June 20, 2009 at 12:22 am

“Works, get rid of that fkn woodchip though”

I didn’t touch it because I thought thst someone else was deein’ that, like.

79. I can’t decide if this is for real or not but it clearly looks like a page from his brochure and Samuel, although sometimes a bit of a tool, normally sticks to the truth.

If the details are true then frankly I’m quite embarrassed for him.

Off to walk the dogs and entertain the little ‘un!
    I’ll try to put something remotely interesting put together on a thread for today.

80. BBM

Just had a chance to read the guff that is Michael Owen’s sales brochure. If he has sanctioned it, he must be deluded. Now I’m a marketeer but I would be embarrased to produce a piece of promotional material like that. It raises more concerns than it addresses. Any football manager receiveing that would have to possess the brain the size of a peanut not to smell a rat.

81. BBM

Have an article in draft ready to post related to the loyalty payment issue. Just awaiting further instructions