Start of a new (sh)era?

Posted on June 18th, 2009 | 71 Comments |

It's that man again.
It's that man again.
Well a lot of the whisperings in the press suggest we could find out as early as today if Alan Shearer will be our new manager, as the battle hots up between the 4 parties who are still in with a chance of being first past the post and claiming ownership of our treasured institution.

Should he or should he not be manager? Well it all seems pretty immaterial now as he seems to be the favoured candidate and for the sake of the short term stability of the club if he is selected as manager we need to put our full support behind him. No whingeing and griping about his lack of experience, his suspect tactics, the massive ego etc. We need to stand behind and support the manager despite some bad decisions he will undoubtedly make or poor results he may achieve. We’ve been on the merry go round of swapping and changing managers at least a few times a season for years and look at where it has led us. We need to embrace the change to new ownership (please god let it not be FFS as that may be too hard to stomach) and to a new management structure who we hope will help take NUFC back where it should be in the top flight.

Alan Shearer while not everyone’s first choice as manager will be a uniting force between the beleaguered players, club staff, fans and new owners. He feels passionately about the club and it’s supporters and I’m sure he will do his utmost to try to bring success to the Toon. Hopefully he will be given time to learn his trade. If he surrounds himself with experienced coaches and wise heads, his lack of experience should have little impact. I was impressed with Alan Shearer during that interview after the Villa game. The man spoke with dignity and that’s something that has been in short supply at NUFC for years. If he’s chosen which I’m sure he will be, I wish him the very best of luck and every success in turning round the fortunes of our great club. Most of all I wish for him the time that is required to achieve that success.

NUFCBlog Author: geordie deb geordie deb has written 38 articles on this blog.

1. I am thinking Iain Dowie, Rob Lee, John Carver and adivce from Sir Bobby Robson workey. ;)

2. ESAMIM – JC would definitely been involved. I was talking to my footy gaffer who keeps company with him occasionally. Didn’t give any exclusives just said he’d eat his hat if JC didn’t come in if Shearer gets the job.

Iain Dowie will probably stay and Rob Lee seems like an obvious buffer too, to have on the team.

Big Al would get advice from Sir Bob and his other managers. But then I think he might have already admitted that would be the case and probably was the case.

3. Fat Freddy / Iain Dowie “dream ticket”, Deb?

Hi Worky

Ticket to hell more like…

4. ESAMIM/BBM

Why Rob Lee? Does he have the necessary qualifications and experience to add to the mix or as Shearer’s best mate, is that all the qualification he needs? If he has the required skill set great, if not he’s another free loader we should say no to.

5. I did not put him there on experience. Carver is the experience. I put him there to be a coach rather than a assistant. But if you want to pick my argument to pieces he has no experience. Niether does Shearer but you still want him! ;)

6. Ever seen a mackem in Milan says:
    June 18, 2009 at 4:24 pm

“I am thinking Iain Dowie, Rob Lee, John Carver and adivce from Sir Bobby Robson workey.”

Don’t you think old Sir Bobby deserves a bit of peace and quiet now, ESAMIM? The poor fella’s nearly eighty, has an inoperable tumour and is having chemotherapy!

7. I did not realise it was so bad workey. Shearer said he was getting advice from Robson before so i thought he would again. Probably would be best to leave him alone then.

8. tf

he would though admiting he supports another club on the rosenborg official site

also thinking about sir bobby it is great to see that he survived the season (he said he wouldnt make it )sir bobby is 1 of my all time heroes and i hope he lives for many of years to come and i would love to see him alive if we win a trophy (a propper 1 not the championship)because he deserves to see the toon win a trophy more than any of us

9. got a translation Toon Factor. Its off a translation website so some of it is complete nonsense:

PÃ¥ Monday was praying we vÃ¥re readers furnish spørsmÃ¥l at Per Ciljan Skjelbred and the opinion stayed formidabel. IN above 20 minutes answering Per sÃ¥ be comfortable he able pÃ¥ bÃ¥de sportslige and utenomsportslige spørsmÃ¥l , but we rakk alas no matter Ã¥ spørre he about all you deceived pÃ¥.Mange at spørsmÃ¥lene was acting however about ditto. Sivilstatus and overgangsrykter stayed populære subject , but ogsÃ¥ treningsvaner stayed facts a good many as deceived pÃ¥.Per answering among other reasons pÃ¥ this : What a ligature he drømmer about – Talentutvikling- Sivilstatus- Newcastle-ryktene- claims About he am glamorise ENTIRE FEATURES IN VIDEOVINDUET ØVERST In this ISSUE

10. workeyticket says:
    June 18, 2009 at 6:10 pm
    Toon, there’d be a quite a few Norwegian lasses coming to Toon if Skjelbred signed. They’re absolutely gaga over him.

GET HIM SIGNED NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Beye,

I’ve just put some more links up for you.

“I’m scouting”,
    “True Faith”,
    the “other” blog,

no proper website for “the Mag”, which is crazy!

12. worky

you could make this site the epicentre for every toon fan by adding loads of links think about ifevery site a toon fan needs is here they neednt go anywhere they could just log in here

13. Beye,

I’m thinking about it, but there are several different aspects to consider. You’ll see alot of new stuff happening over the next few days though, divven’t worry!

14. worky i wont

but the only major problem i have with the site is searching for it on google i just cant find it i even found cacapa’s wikipedia and i still havent found this site on google

15. Beye,

It’s very early days yet, that’s something that will be rectified in the fullness of time, but site promotion is very time consuming, and it will take time to filter through as well. That’s a long(ish) term thing though, unless you’re a large corporation who can throw lots of money at the problem.

If you put “nufcblog” into Google, it should come up a two or three places below the other nufcblog. I’ll be working on other keywords and keyphrases as time permits.

16. so i see worky

well great blog youre doing a great job with it and im sure given time this will be a HUGE blog

17. Needs a few months yet before this site really gets into the swing of things, Beye.

We need people to spread the word, and very importantly, to link to us if they have a website.

18. Just watched that interview, I may not understand Norwegian but it was easy to see by his body language how nervous he was when we were brought up. We’ve all been there son, haha.

19. ESAMIM

‘Idid not put him there on experience. Carver is the experience. I put him there to be a coach rather than a assistant. But if you want to pick my argument to pieces he has no experience. Niether does Shearer but you still want him!’

Au contraire ESAMIM, I don’t particularily want Shearer as manager but I’m resigned to the fact he will be and so I will support him when they inevitably announce it.
    I think he has a lot of good qualities and at the moment he’s probably the only one the fans as a whole will accept. If he is manager I would just like to see him supported by people like Carver who is established and will be of value to the club. I don’t want to see an old pals club for ex players if they can’t bring anything other than their enthusiasm. Many people mention Rob Lee but I keep asking the question regarding his coaching badges because I genuinely don’t know if he has them or has any experience since gaining them. If we are going to pay out good money on something I would rather it was on players or experienced coaches rather than some free loaders cos they’re best mates with the boss. (no offence to Rob Lee who was a great player)

20. I think what you’ll get with Rob Lee is a great attitude, knows a lot about the game, is enthusiastic and motivational. I don’t think he’s qualified in terms of today’s requirements yet. I see him as being a richer man’s Terry Mac, who really was just a buffer. I can see him being a great coach but of course he’d need his badges or prove he was getting them. Either way, I’d love to see him here and I don’t think he’d be here as a free-loader. He’s too honest for that.

21. geordie deb says:
    June 18, 2009 at 8:03 pm (Edit)

“…Many people mention Rob Lee but I keep asking the question regarding his coaching badges because I genuinely don’t know if he has them or has any experience since gaining them.”

Deb,

22. Deb,

‘Rob Lee has mountains of experience. He was interviewed for the manager’s post at Bournemouth once (Kevin Bond got it), and he’s a pundit in Singapore. What more could you want?

Don’t think he’d done any badges last time I checked, but things may have changed since then.’

Eminently qualified then Workey!

23. BBM

‘I think what you’ll get with Rob Lee is a great attitude, knows a lot about the game, is enthusiastic and motivational. I don’t think he’s qualified in terms of today’s requirements yet. I see him as being a richer man’s Terry Mac, who really was just a buffer. I can see him being a great coach but of course he’d need his badges or prove he was getting them. Either way, I’d love to see him here and I don’t think he’d be here as a free-loader. He’s too honest for that.’

Maybe so BBM, but how many assistants/coaches etc can we afford in the fizzy pop league especially if they are not qualified? As nice a person as he probably is, I would still say no thanks unless he brings a lot of value.

24. geordie deb says:
    June 18, 2009 at 10:21 pm

“On another topic has Keegan taking over the managers job at Southampton been confirmed?”

It’s still at the question mark stage, Deb.

25. No, I don’t think so deb.

I see Bassong has admitted he’s in talks with two clubs. Possibly two of three rumoured suitors – Spurs, Arsenal and…….the A19 tramps.

26. ‘In other news, Bassong’s told Aujourd’hui in France that he’s in talks with two Premiership clubs. One of them maybe the Wearside tramps.’

27. 52times says:
    June 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm

“We could always refuse to sell him to them.”

52, I’m sure that Ashley would turn down several million pounds, rather than risk offending Geordie sensibilities. :-)

28. 52times says:
    June 18, 2009 at 11:08 pm

“If takeover talks are actually at the point we think they are, surely he wouldn’t sell?”

Well that’s a good point 52, if he were putting a £100 million takeover in jeopardy. Of course, serious prospective buyers will be looking at all kinds of factors that will affect the value of the club.

29. geordie deb says:
    June 18, 2009 at 10:55 pm

“…Workey, I can’t believe he would stoop so low as join the great unwashed! Arsenal is one thing but the mackems – clearly has no taste or sense!”

30. ‘Deb, premiership footballers love Sunderland. They go there for the glamour and the nightlife.’

Bless them. You can just imagine their agents selling the North East to them; the culture, fab places, great coastline and countryside, the Quayside, nightlife etc etc then they arrive in Sunderland……

31. You have to sympathise with him don’t you. Can you imagine being stuck in Sunderland for any period of time with the great unwashed, it’s enough to drive you nuts

32. my old man works in sunderland most days. since that terrible day on the 24th of may they have all came out from under the rocks wearing those horrible shirts.

33. deb – just about. Bowburn is about 50/50 as well. That’s one of the things I miss about moving from town and into Durham. The workforce I look after now are predominantly Boro or makems. There’s only really me and my boss that are black and white.

34. bowburnmag says:
    June 19, 2009 at 12:18 am

“workey – I’ve had a mess around with the formatting etc on the captions and used the tags as directed. Is it rude towards matters of consistency that I prefer the narrative below the image? I just think it looks neater!”

Bowburn, consistency is important (and “neater”), and not wasting space on a web page is important too. If you use images that are too big and have text wrapped around them, then it does looks bad; I chose 360 pixels across as a guide. If the images are small and have and have lots of space around them, that’s wasted space that will make the user have to scroll around more. If they’re really big, again that will take up too much space, and the filesizes of hundreds, even thousands of the things will be much larger too.

That is (very roughly) why I arrange things the way I do.

35. So ESAMIM

If the consortiums are as they are being reported, which one would you prefer buys us

36. Agree 100%. Can’t believe some people actually want him back and think he will have learnt from his mistakes!!

Ideally if the american consortium exists and consists of some of the big names in sports team ownership I would prefer them to any of the other names being touted. Still I guess nobody knows who is involved so it’s all speculation.

37. you can see why they would want him because we were a good team signing big name players then. but on closer inspection our club was run similar to that of leeds united. he can not come back.

38. ‘All that glistens is not gold’ Merchant of Venice
    Very apt for Wor Fred, fiddling while Rome burnt and all that jazz.

Well I’m going to have to go to bed. Night.

39. workey – when you pick this up…..I had a feeling you’d say that and I understand that approach hence changes to the last draft!

40. who watched the u21s ?

ithought they played realy well against a technically brilliant spanish side

41. i have only been able to watch the highlights beye. i think they could have attacked spain more in the first half, they caused spain a lot of problems in the second half. they did play well overall. Campbell was excellent i hope the rumours about us signing him are true. :D