Waiting for a new dawn?

Posted on June 21st, 2009 | 112 Comments |

New Owner(s) on the horizon?
New Owner(s) on the horizon?
Did your mam ever tell you that you’d get sore eyes staring out of the window, while you desperately searched for a glimpse of whatever or whoever was of the utmost importance to you at the time? Are you familiar with the saying “a watched kettle never boils” or “a watched pot never boils” if you’re slightly older….Ever had one of those days, weeks or months, when time seems to stand still?

If you can relate to any or all of those, then you’ll know what I mean when I feel like all of those sayings are fairly poignant in relation to the deafening silence that currently pervades the corridors at Barrack Road and in the remote offices controlling the future of our beloved club.

Newcastle fans don’t need to know how many teabags the tea-lady uses or which solution the cleaner prefers when swabbing the changing rooms. It’s quite likely by the natural obsession of some supporters that consumes their every day, that they’d probably find something interesting in the answers. However, the current regime has been consistent in only one thing, although cynics may suggest they have consistently made mistake after mistake. I’m of course referring to their appalling communication. Throughout the period since Chris Mort left the club, the board has been almost incommunicado in comparison to what the fans are used to up here. This has led to enthusiastic conspiracy theories and ultimately fans making their own minds up about the goings-on at St James’ Park.

Of course unfortunately, combined with his obvious mismanagement and because of the nature and finale of our season, that has led to widespread mistrust, animosity and in many cases, hatred. Did anyone really know what his intentions were? Will we ever know? The initial unnecessarily prolonged silence when things first went pear-shaped was interpreted as contempt and disrespect and he was doomed from that moment really.

And so the inevitable ending is tears and plenty of them and a new chapter must begin through the sale of our club. Mike Ashley will likely never be forgotten and certainly never forgiven for the calamity that has occurred under his ill-fated tenure.

Now we wait for a new leader. We await news of who will go and who will stay. We wait patiently for the arrival of new blood, fresh legs and honesty and professionalism. We wait for the pre-season games and no doubt they will sneak up on us, no matter how far off they seem in this barren football black-hole between the past and the future. We wait anxiously for that first game in the Midlands when our future should be clearer and the challenges ahead will come swiftly. Until then we wait.

Anybody else got sore eyes yet?

NUFCBlog Author: bowburnmag bowburnmag has written 234 articles on this blog.

1. Evening BBM

Let’s hope we hear something by later this week. It would be a complete farce if the players turned up again for preseason training in 10 days time and we were still managerless and with complete uncertainty regarding the owner, players coming in/going out etc. The level of ineptitude is staggering. Lets just hope there is a lot more going on behind the scenes and a detailed plan will be implemented as soon as the green button is pushed. Won’t hold my breath though..

2. there must be something going on. who is organising the pre season games?

3. LOL – I was working on another document and had just changed the text when it changed on here – thought I had managed to do it, so that’s a relief..

4. ESAMIM

You’re right, somebody is clearly doing something. I bet they’re beavering away behind the scenes and we are all going to end up with egg on our face when they suddenly unveil a whole host of positive actions… fingers crossed it happens

5. geordie deb says:
    June 21, 2009 at 11:52 pm

“You’re right, somebody is clearly doing something. I bet they’re beavering away behind the scenes”

They’re not the only ones who are “beavering away behind the scenes”. :-)

6. ; ) : D : ) are the ones i use. take out the space between the colon and the other bit though Deb. :D

7. Liking the new look worky.

Out of interest, did my article look ok before you changed the fonts?
    I noticed you’d changed the settings on the photo etc

Can’t really believe I managed to write so much about so little!!

8. Bowburn, I “crunched” the picture, the filesize was way too big. You should display image full size too, but make the fullsize image the right size in the first place if it’s too big. If you can’t edit images, I can do that.

9. Can I have a blast?

Not sure I know them all

;-) :-) :-( 8) :-

This could get tedious for the reader….

10. I’ll have to look up ‘crunching’!! I’ve noticed the phrase when uploading but I guess we need to keep filesizes down for the health of the blog?
    I imagine we’d purge stuff that’s unattached as well, as best practice?

11. ;) :D :) :( 8) :mrgreen: :arrow: :?: :eek: :shock: :mad: :P :| :lol: :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :idea:

12. bowburnmag says:
    June 22, 2009 at 12:24 am

“worky – doesn’t WordPress do that automatically?”

Bowburn, no. It makes thumbs and smaller versions, but it doesn’t make the filesize of the main image smaller.

13. worky – ah right, that makes sense. Customises it for the post? I can’t see that level of detail at the moment.

14. Aye ESAMIM, it does but as always, details being sketchy, folk (rumour-mongers) will have looked at the most likely candidates and we’re currently for sale. The ‘Premiership’ part of it might be slightly outdated.

I wouldn’t believe it was us even if it hadn’t said that.
    I don’t think Rangerman does either but he’s heard rumours from somewhere.

Looks like it’s on a few blogs by now so I’m fanning the flames!! :D

15. “denial” that we’re no longer ‘Premiership’ sadly…

It still jolts when I search for us under Prem on other sites :-(

16. ill start a rumour aswell. sir alex ferguson is a chubby chaser. spread the word.

17. Reet it’s stupid’o’clock. Off to bed folks.
    Catch up with you tomorrow no doubt. Maybe to discuss our new owners, who knas?

18. sheik every time. the sunday sun said freddy had not made a bid yet though and there was two other parties that had.

19. i am hoping ashley has enough sense to stop shepherd getting in but i would not call him god.

20. Paul Allen would have plenty of dosh, but when have we ever been lucky? Bet the scrapman is still in there some where. ESAMIM – I would rather keep Ashley than see Fat Fred back

21. Ever seen a mackem in Milan says:
    June 22, 2009 at 1:08 am

“beggars cant be choosers worky.”

ESAMIM, the big question is, why are we “beggars”?

22. we are in a situation where we need to get it sorted. if it is a shiek, if it is paul allen or anyone else who cares. we just need someone to buy the club, appoint a manager and start moving forward.

23. Ever seen a mackem in Milan says:
    June 22, 2009 at 1:15 am

“we are in a situation where we need to get it sorted. if it is a shiek, if it is paul allen or anyone else who cares. we just need someone to buy the club, appoint a manager and start moving forward.”

24. ESAMIM

It certainly needs to be sorted one way or the other. Can’t believe it’s only 9 days till our bunch of misfits turn up again for training! We cannot be in a position where they do not know who the manager is

25. ‘Quite a few people were saying that sort of thing when Ashley came in ESAMIM; and Hall, us oldies can just keep going back. We don’t understand why we attract such bad luck, but there are reasons for it which we need to understand.’

The reasons are all self inflicted as you know Worky

26. It may be a new dawn but so far I have no reason to think it will be a nice one.

As it stands we have only one advantage over other Championship clubs and that’s that we have a bigger ground.

In every other area we are disadvantaged. We have no owner, no manager, no money, no idea who’ll be in our squad and we aren’t prepared for pre-season.

I believe we could be facing a relegation fight.

Things can and probably will change before the season starts of course but – even accounting for that – I think we have to write off any chance of a promotion challenge next season.

We will be playing under a totally new set-up next season and we will be playing against settled teams who know what they need to do.

At the moment I have no reason to hope that we can achieve anything better than a mid-table finish or worse.

That’s my dose of reality for the day.

27. Hugh

I think you are just being realistic. Many of our fans seem to think we are going to bounce straight back up, but I just can’t see it myself especially with all of this going on at present. We will be unprepared to say the least, with a new owner, new players (hopefully!), new manager, new coaches, having to develop a style of play and adapting to life in the championship. Not an easy undertaking by any stretch of the imagination and finally having to play in a vile yellow and white striped away kit….

28. That change kit is horrendous. Mike Ashley’s parting gift to us? If it weren’t on the official website I’d say it was a joke.

29. The yellow creation could be perceived two ways:

‘Some shades of yellow are associated with cowardice; but the more golden shades with the promise of better times.’
    source: precision Intermedia

Not good if other teams perceive a bunch of cowards running out the tunnel, but may make fans hopeful..

30. Wonder who they got to choose that? No doubt some numpty who had just painetd their front room that colour etc

31. batty says:
    June 22, 2009 at 4:48 pm

“wares stardust i havent seen him round for a few days”

Me neither, batty. He had another big barney with Stuart and has been very quiet since.

Do you like our new custard strips?

June 22, 2009 at 5:00 pm
    batty says:
    June 22, 2009 at 4:48 pm

“wares stardust i havent seen him round for a few days”

Do you like our new custard strips
    <<<<< na what on eath are they playing at m8 but never mind its another reason for other fans to laugh at us m8

33. worky i know u dont like him neither do i realy but do you think fat fred is trying to buy the club some how m8

34. i dont like the kit but that might be very off putting for our opponents

35. Ever seen a mackem in Milan says:
    June 22, 2009 at 5:13 pm
    i dont like the kit but that might be very off putting for our opponents
    <<<< aye very off putting m8 they wont be able to stop laughing

36. That kit!

The comedy just goes on and on with this club. My only surprise is that we haven’t signed Jasper Carrot as No 9.

37. batty says:
    June 22, 2009 at 5:11 pm

“worky i know u dont like him neither do i realy but do you think fat fred is trying to buy the club some how m8”

batty, his current estimated net worth around £55-60 million, so he couldn’t do it on his own. If he did, he would probably have alot of explaining to do as to where the money was coming from. If I was a bank, I certainly wouldn’t lend him the necessary! If anyone else would back him, they would either be insane, or in the Mafia!

38. Not hugely, Workey. I wonder what sort of mind sat there and thought “I know, custard stripes will be a nice idea.”

39. I only saw the photo on .com, that’s just a photo of the shirt. I thought it might not look as bad when it’s on someone.

Turns out I was very wrong if Steven Taylor’s pose is anything to go by….

40. I wonder who actually does come up with away kit colours. Maybe it was contracted out to some design agency in Sunderland.

41. ‘Hull City used to have a really bad one in the nineties. They carried the “Tiger” thing a bit too far.’

42. geordie deb says:
    June 22, 2009 at 6:15 pm

“OMG Worky – that is truely hideous. Can you imagine how embarrasing that would be for the players wearing it every week?”

Deb, if you think it looks bad on a hanger, it looked a million times worse when the players actually had it on. It was campest thing I’ve ever seen! Those macho footballers must have been squirming even when they were on the training pitch, never mind on a Saturday afternoon in front of a full crowd. They all looked like Bet Lynch on a bad day!

43. Can you imagine the away fans they must have given them some stick

44. geordie deb says:
    June 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm

“Talking tigers, wasn’t it KK who did the Tiger breakfast ceral ads ittttssss ggggrrrreeeeaaaatttt or someting like that?”

Aye Deb, in the “entertainers” period. Do you remember him in the shower splashing “Brut” aal ower in the shower with Henry Cooper? Or the “Green Cross Code” adverts? Or falling off his bike in “Superstars”?

“Keegan’s still wobbling, OH NO! HE’S GONE!!”

45. Our players will look like bottles of Veuve Clicquot next season!

Les hope they play with the same quality!

46. God they don’t do ads like they used to. I think the old ‘Enry/Kevin in the shower thing would probably be banned now LOL.
    The Green Cross Code one – you were just waiting for a car to appear out of nowhere like on the motorbike ad

47. Stuart79 says:
    June 22, 2009 at 7:09 pm

“Our players will look like bottles of Veuve Clicquot next season!”

That’s more like Blackpool orange Stuart. It’s much nicer than our custard monstrosity!

48. Does anyone think the club will be sold this season?

I’m getting a little bit annoyed at the lack of anything happening at the club!

49. Deb,

Are you old enough to remember the bike incident? I was only a kid, but I seem to recall that it was like a national disaster at the time!

Stuart,

The first rule about selling a big club is that you don’t talk about selling a big club. It creates instability. If you go around telling people to send in joke e.mails, putting adverts in the Exchange & Mart etc, then it’s only natural that things will descend into a long, drawn out farce.

50. Stu – it has to happen….doesn’t it…?

I can’t even comtemplate where we go from here if it isn’t sold but my article says exactly how I feel about things at the minute.

51. Workey

Deb,

‘Are you old enough to remember the bike incident? I was only a kid, but I seem to recall that it was like a national diasaster at the time!

Which bike incident was it? I was thinking of the current one when the car pulls out of a junction and smashes into the motorbike? My train of thought doesn’t seem logical at times ….

52. geordie deb says:
    June 22, 2009 at 7:37 pm (Edit)
    Workey

“…Which bike incident was it?”

53. Stuart 79
    ‘Does anyone think the club will be sold this season?

I’m getting a little bit annoyed at the lack of anything happening at the club!’

Well they are saying the end of the month but presumably some of the bidders will drop out during due diligence if they don’t like what they see in the books, or we are going to have the old haggling going on with whoevers left like a couple of grannies on Shields market. If we get into negotiation Mike Ashley could royally screw up if he gets his obstinate head on and then we remain unsold what a thought….

Why couldn’t ours just toodle along like Southampton’s sale with everyone updated and everything nice and straight forward?

54. geordie deb

COZ WERE NUFC WHEN IS ANYTHING STRAIGHT FORWARD ?

55. ‘That “Superstars” video of the bike race, Deb. Did you watch the video in the links I put up?’

Yes Worky I watched it. I vaguely remember it at the time, I too was still a kid, but I remember Super Mac running the 100yds or metres or whatever it was on Superstars in just under 10 seconds must have been around the same time.

56. beyethegreat says:

COZ WERE NUFC WHEN IS ANYTHING STRAIGHT FORWARD ?

I think we’re cursed. Has anyone upset any gypsies outside SJP or broke a dozen mirrors in the mens toilets or something?

57. BTG

Has the Hoppings at the town moor been on yet? Someone needs to go and buy a load of heather from all the gypsies they can find

58. Worky

‘Here’s a good bit of Toon / Kev nostalgia.’

Those were the days… when we used to win!

59. geordie deb says:
    June 22, 2009 at 7:54 pm

beyethegreat says:

COZ WERE NUFC WHEN IS ANYTHING STRAIGHT FORWARD ?

=============

Ah, maybe it’s me.

I’ve been upsetting a gypsy over a planning application for the last 2 years.

Oops.

60. I can’t see anyone offering him the money he wants after looking at the books.

Also they know how desperate he is to sell so they will hold back waiting for him to bottle it and take less. IMO.

Either way I’m quite concerned about what they might find in the due dilligence process. Wage bill, turnover and debt…..

We could be seeing a bit of de ja vu!

61. Stuart 79

I agree. Have a horrible feeling this won’t be the end of it. On the other hand he can’t afford to keep it can he??

62. geordie deb says:
    June 22, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Hugh

So it’s all your fault?!!

====

Yeah, sorry!

He did threaten to burn my house down though. I didn’t realise he’d cursed my football team too.

63. Hugh

Get your priorities right- forget the house, tell him to lift the curse on the toon LOL!

64. hugh

you need to apologise

you cant p1$$ around with that stuff

near where i live a couple who own a burger van won the jackpot on the lottery after giving away a free cup of tea to an elderly woman who had no money it turned out she was a gypsy just as she (the wife) passed the tea to the elderly woman the gypsy told her she would would win the lottery (or something along those lines)and not too long after she did

65. Stuart, I can’t see anyone offering Ashley the full £100m either, at least not to begin with.

Buyers will know they have a desperate seller and even if they think £100m is good value for money they’ll try to get it for less.

I wonder what Ashley’s minimum is. I also wonder what will happen if nobody puts in a suitable offer.

66. geordie deb says:
    June 22, 2009 at 8:28 pm
    Stuart 79

Ashley seems to be a arrogant, half witted idiot who has absolutley stopped caring for the club(if he ever did!)

The question is, is he so desperate to sell the club that he will accept less than the asking price?

I think not,hence the statement on the website.

People wanting to buy the club know he really wants to sell. If you were a millionaire would you spend £100m more than needed if in a couple of months time you could possibly get it for £80m?

67. Hugh

‘I wonder what Ashley’s minimum is. I also wonder what will happen if nobody puts in a suitable offer’

it doesn’t bear thinking about

68. Sorry for the inane ramblings on the new article. I just vowed I’d try to make sure there was at least one per day if nobody else had but I was tempted not to for fear of repeating myself (and others) and having the same old whinge.

69. Beye, I’m not superstitious, so I don’t read much into coincidence.

As it happens I have reached a certain peace with our gypsy anyway. Once he stopped threatening to burn my house down I was one of the more reasonable people fighting his planning application and I think he realised that.

I’ll ask him about NUFC next time I see him!

70. good lad hugh

if we arent cursed can you tell him to curse us or atleast the mackems any way lol

71. if we arent cursed can you tell him to curse every 1 else or atleast the mackems any way lol