Frantic transfer deals needed at Newcastle United.

Posted on July 2nd, 2009 | 42 Comments |

Smith & Taylor - staying or gannin'?
Smith & Taylor - staying or gannin'?
The general consensus in the press is that things will reach a conclusion regarding Newcastle’s new owner soon. I don’t think the press actually have a clue who will be the new owner and I’m sure they just make most of it up, but I think they’re probably right that something will be announced by early next week.

Why do I think that? I don’t know – it just feels about right. Call it gut instinct. In fact let’s call it ‘sources close to the club‘ – my fictional sources are as valid as the fictional sources the press use.

So, let’s reword that: sources close to the club insist the new owner will be in place by next week. Now I’m sounding like a real journalist.

What I wanted to do was speculate as to what needs to be done in terms of players when the new owner takes over.

We have already started pre-season training and our first pre-season match is on Saturday 11th July. It’s feasible that the new owner will be in place by then and a new manager will have been appointed, particularly if that new manager is Shearer because he’s just sat around with his thumb up his bum waiting to get started. If the new owner doesn’t favour Shearer then it might take a bit longer to get a manager in place.

Our first league game is on Saturday 8th August, so we’ll have roughly a month to get everything organised. The first thing the manager probably wants to do is get shot of some players and bring some new ones in and it’s going to take some frantic work to get that done in time. Let’s have a look at last season’s regular first team selections and see who’s likely to go:

• Owen: out of contract and definitely going.
  • Viduka: out of contract and definitely going.
  • Cacapa: out of contract and definitely going.
  • Lovenkrands: sacked by letter apparently.
  • Edgar: gone to Burnley.
  • Colo: probably going as he gets paid too much.
  • Enrique: probably going as he gets paid too much.
  • Geremi: probably going as he gets paid too much.
  • Smith: probably going as he gets paid too much.
  • Barton: probably going as he gets paid too much and he’s not Mr Popular.
  • Jonas: probably going as he’ll want top flight football.
  • Martins: probably going as he’ll want top flight football.
  • Bassong: probably going.
  • Butt: possibly staying but may get the push due to his wages.
  • Duff: possibly staying but may get the push due to his wages.
  • Nolan: possibly staying but may get the push due to his wages.
  • Beye: possibly staying.
  • Harper: probably staying.
  • Taylor(S): probably staying despite contrary press speculation.
  • Ameobi: probably staying.
  • Guthrie: probably staying.
  • Carrol: probably staying.
  • Taylor(R): probably staying.
  • Nacho: no idea.
  • Xisco: no idea.

I’d suggest … sorry, ‘club insiders’ suggest that anywhere from 10-16 players will end up leaving and they all have to be replaced somehow. They can probably promote some of the decent youngsters to the first team – the likes of Ranger, LuaLua, Tozer, Godsmark etc. – but I reckon we’d still need to get in at least half a dozen players to ensure we have anything like a competitive squad. A lot of Championship transfer activity has already taken place, so we’re going to be playing catch-up in that respect.

I wonder if the new owner will actually keep on some of the players who we consider to be ‘overpaid’, simply because time is too short to complete all the associated transfer activity involved in replacing them. If that’s the case, players like Smith, Duff, Geremi and Nolan might still be playing for us next season even though ideally we’d probably want to get rid of them to reduce our extortionate wage bill. Maybe they’ll be given the shove in stages – some in January, some next summer etc.

Then of course there’s the back-room staff. A few have been given the push (and asked back again in the case of Calderwood) and some have left for other clubs, so the manager will need to sort this out too.

It is going to be frantic stuff but I can’t wait for it to start happening. It has been a sorely depressing time lately and I’m just looking forward to some positive activity from the club before I run out of Prozac.

NUFCBlog Author: Hugh de Payen I'm a baby-boomer of the punk rock persuasion, currently exiled in Somerset for crimes committed in a previous life where locals keep trying to poison me with something called 'scrumpy'. Hates sprouts, coat-hangers, Cilla Black, ornaments, Steven Seagull movies and 50 Cent (he's not worth 10). Hugh de Payen has written 634 articles on this blog.

1. lol, maybe we could pay him on a per-goal basis, which would make for a very cheap deal indeed.

2. __________________________Harper________________________

Beye______________S.Taylor________Kadar__________R.Taylor

Lualua_____________Addison_________Guthrie__________Brunt

___________________Carroll_________Duff_________________

3. Great site lads I have carried your RSS feed on http://www.geordies.net hopefully it will give you some good back links and even a few new visitors.

@bowburnmag LOL

I think next week is make or break and hopefully we will have new owners with Shearer back in charge and a decent transfer budget. This time next week it might all be so different.

Or I could be talking shite like I normally do LOL.

Keep the faith lads HTL

4. If Owen does go to Man Utd he will be in the Carling Cup games and the reserve side. He should move abroad like Derbyshire did. If he wants to play for England again he will not get it playing for Stoke/Hull/Man Utd reserves.

5. Beye

Did you actually see i or are you going off what has been said on Ed’s blog?

There’s nothin on BBC website

6. Wasn’t it a Malaysian consortium who were keen on buying Newcastle from Sir John Hall back in 2005? At the time they were allegedly interested in developing a casino and leisure complex alongside the ground. If the reports today have any semblance of truth in them, I wonder if it’s the same group? If so at least they are persistent

7. In all honesty they could be from Japan,China,Hong Kong,Vietnam, Singaphore or Korean!

I bet we end up with Kim Jong-il! Just to annoy the western governments!

8. Stuart79 says:
    July 2, 2009 at 7:22 pm
    Beye

Did you actually see i or are you going off what has been said on Ed’s blog?

There’s nothin on BBC website

yes ill try and find a video link from todays look north

9. 16 beyethegreat says:
    July 2, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Don’t worry aboot it now Beye. I’ve heard it on Five Live.

I’m still sceptical as all these news channels ect will probably be taking the story from it’s original source Look North.

10. yeah stuart we just have to hope its original source is right do you know any mega rich malaysians

11. Robert Kuok.

Only problem is he’s about a million yrs old!

But last check he was worth more than Abromovitch.

He supplies more than 10% of the worlds sugar!

12. sounds good is there any younger mega rich malaysians that arent a million years old

13. Dunno, he leaves a lot of his business dealings to his family now I think.

Malaysians wouldn’t be too bad I don’t think, if true. They are football mad and they have some wealthy people also!

My first job would be to appoint Bob Moncur Chairman

14. Good evening folks.Worky the site is lookin great by the way!IMO i think our current owners have a strangle hold on interested bidders, so we wont know who it is until it happens.( my source inside the club tells me its??????) is bollocks. I agree i think it will happen soon as well.

On topic of thread………..We have a great chance of using the young guns now maybe keep a few current players probably the same few we would all keep.

15. My first job would be to appoint Bob Moncur Chairman

great shout stuart he knows business and football also if he leaves a lot to his family it could be them who are doing the deal and interested in the club

16. also if he leaves a lot to his family it could be them who are doing the deal and interested in the club
    the malaysians that is

yeah i hope we still do but i imagine that they are passionate fans so i doubt many will change though i doubt well atractmany new fans over there unless they start supporting us because of the malaysian owners

18. With us going down a lot of the foreign fans might have given up on the club. Not sure I can blame them.

yeah especially in a poor country where they probz dont get to watch many games as it is

20. Ya right 52.

I stayed in KL for a few nights on my way to OZ and it just wasn’t like anything I’d expected.

21. Stuart

‘They have the tallest freestanding building in the world, or at least they did. Might have been takn over by Dubai.’

It may still be, not sure the Burj Dubai is open yet and until it is, it doesn’t count.

22. bowburnmag

Bottom bit says>>>>>>>>>>

Toon fans discovered in Saturday night’s Chronicle that Gutierrez will not be able to don his Spiderman mask should he score for Newcastle due to FIFA guidelines.

Yet the South American gave an insight on how the celebration came about.

He added: “The rules have changed, so I can’t use it any more.

“I met a child and his father at the cinema and went to watch Spiderman.

“I told them that if I scored in the next game I would use the mask to celebrate.”

So I guess he musnt of kept the mask down his pants

23. It just implies he can’t stick it on his head. I bet the weirdo still wears it in his shorts.

He aimed to emulate Solano? Tried and failed unfortunatley.

Seems like a decent guy and looks a lot like my hero Dogtanian of the Muskahounds but seriously he’s miles off being worth what Nobby was to us.

24. Good to see it looks like Owen will give us good reason to totally resent him by signing for the Mancs.

I bet he scores a hatful as well the little fugga.

25. bbm
    ‘Good to see it looks like Owen will give us good reason to totally resent him by signing for the Mancs.

I bet he scores a hatful as well the little fugga.’

Who would ever have predicted that the Mancs could be interested in Owen?

26. Geordies says:
    July 2, 2009 at 6:56 pm

“Great site lads I have carried your RSS feed on http://www.geordies.net hopefully it will give you some good back links and even a few new visitors.”

Ta very much Geordies. Will sort something out to go back to your site as well.

27. Geordies says:
    July 2, 2009 at 6:56 pm

workyticket says:
    July 3, 2009 at 10:23 am (Edit)

“Ta very much Geordies. Will sort something out to go back to your site as well.”

All done now.