Malaysian malaise, Eurovision or the American dream for NUFC?

Posted on July 2nd, 2009 | 120 Comments |

Are new owners ready to cook up a storm?
Are new owners ready to cook up a storm?
(UPDATE – 03/07/2009 9:30) I’ve unashamedly lifted some of the most recent rumours from other blogs, sites and friends (don’t we all?) because I’m nowhere near a TV, so unable to confirm or deny rumours about David Craig’s comments on Sky Sports News or any other for that matter.

However, that aside it would seem there is news drifting in off the North Sea about interest from a Central European consortium. The US links are refusing to go away as well. Whether the alleged group of four who began due diligence represent these new groups is not clear.
.com in particular are focusing attention on businessman Ananda Krishnan as potentially being behind the Malaysian bid. Let’s hope so, money isn’t everything but this fella seems to be rolling in it. Can’t hurt can it?

More updates, to quash what could be outrageous rumours or else to potentially articulate hysterical celebrations, will follow……

Well most recent news has been barely palatable over the last few weeks and months but perhaps things are starting to hot up and could get a little spicy. Forgive me for my pessimism but before getting totally carried away I want to be absolutely sure this latest rumour is going somewhere!

Numerous reports from some fairly credible sources inform us that Derek Llambias is currently showing Malysian representatives of a consortium believed to be a legitimate bidder for the club. Whether all reporters are jumping on the back of one story or rumour isn’t known but it’s picking up pace by all accounts. And if it will actually lead anywhere remains to be seen but this latest news represents the most progress we’ve seen in days so we could probably be forgiven for getting a little carried away.

Also you’ll have to forgive my slightly low-brow stereotypical nod at Asian cuisine but when mentioning ‘Malaysian’ I can’t help but follow it up with ‘curry’. I love ’em, plus I’m starving. So what could these new owners offer us? It’s hard to tell when we have very little information but if this becomes reality then they definitely offer a way out of this current nightmare and hopefully into a more pleasant and fruitful existence. As with other sites and blogs, I’m sure there will be more details to talk about in the morning. But as some erudite posters have already pointed out, these guys have every chance to be a) wealthy and b) football fans. Sounds far too good to be true eh? Which is why it might not be.

Watch this space for now…..

NUFCBlog Author: bowburnmag bowburnmag has written 234 articles on this blog.

1. I can’t help but be ridiculously excited, as well as very skeptical regarding any more “developments” with brokering a deal.

2. Guess we’ll find out soon enough.

According to SSN they were very impressed with what they saw.

But it could all just be rubbish of course!

3. I tell you, if we are owned by Malaysians, it will be good for us. Believe me they are better owners than the ones from Arab. Malaysians have good business sense and also people have passion for Football in Malaysia.

I just hope they bid and acquire us.

4. It sounds good from that Journal article but with no names mentioned i find it hard to believe any of it.

5. There was an old advert –

“passion for futbairl and appreciation of fine foods….”

Was it McEwans?

6. nufc.com reporting Ananda Krishnan is thought to be the man behind the bid.

7. beyethegreat

Sounds an intersting guy, good entreprenerial skills – sounds too good to be true! Lets hope our luck changes for once

8. beye – Those who own gentlemens clubs?

Maybe they’ll offer discount to those who buy season tickets.

Sure to get some takers!!

It’s probably rubbish anyway but I’ve heard a few people mention European buyers vaguely.

9. Ananda Krishnan – just more lazy journalism, google richest man in Malaysia then put him at the head of the consortium.

10. Got a SMS last night from an informed friend who stated the successful group were/are from Qatar – he has yet to corroborate it, just throwing in the mix, feel free to take with a pinch of salt until confirmed.

He has been 100% correct on 100% of previous occasions but he wont hang his hat on this one yet until he gets the nod.

11. Seymour Pierce has conducted the sale very professionally, no tittle-tattle abiding by the confidentiality agreement. No one knows who the bidders are, over the past few weeks it’s been unknown American/Oman/South African/Local consortium, then out of the blue it’s Malaysian. Like last years transfers, where we were linked with over 500 players, the ones we actually signed were never mentioned. It’ll be the same with the buyer, as frustrating as it is we’ll just have to wait and see. However, I do think we are approaching the end of the process.

12. Oh and if the group from Qatar is confirmed they do want Shearer – like I say though – not confirmed, more as I get it.

On a note re Huggin – its been laughable that the only person courting the press has been FFS – probably because he isn’t under NDA as he didn’t have the cash lol.

13. Good gen Stardust.

Not sure I’ll get that in a catchy headline though?

I take it you’ve been busy judging by your fleeting visits?

14. It’s all going off today mind…..

The sale apparently hotting up.

Owen off to the dirty mancs.

Big Sol interested in coming here (the madman).

15. BBM

‘Big Sol interested in coming here (the madman).’

Maybe he thinks FFS will get it and mega bucks will be on the table! Where did you hear that BB?

16. Incredibly BBM – in the last week I have had to sign off on a load of new projects for one of my companies, have sold moved house, am finalising bids for building a new one – absolutely manic – to be fair – its eased the pain of awaiting for the new owner to be announced lol.

Got to admit am gutted Owen is getting a move to Man U – he has got to be one of the most self centred and ego centric players ever to have visited us (I wont say played for). Showed less passion than a schoolboy having to kiss his gran.

17. stardust once they have signed a sales purchase agreement does that meen they can sign a manager m8

18. Stardust – Good craic.

Aye, I’m fairly busy myself but too close to internet connection so not able to keep from focusing on the situation at the town.

19. Is that Chicken curry in PIC ? looks more kind of Indian curry….

on serious note, guys hopefully we will have owner in sometime next week. ….

20. Someone on another blog has had a text saying the club has been sold to a group from Quatar.

That’s two people now unless it’s you on the other blog Stardust. It was posted yesterday.

Although why would they show these Malayasian guys round if the club had been sold? Or do they look like Malaysians from Quatar?

21. No it wasnt me Stuart. I am not stating a fact though – just what I have been told by a previously excellent source – but even he states it isnt 100% corroborated yet.

Could have been that the Malays flew through Qatar lol- will update as soon as I hear more.

22. Nice to see the Chronicle have the inside line on the bidding prices – worth a lot of money that info – they must have those two excellent sources on board. Mr Stick Your Finger in the Air and Mr Rabbit out of a Hat.

23. No disrespect to Arabs. But I would be more inclined towards Malaysians and Americans than Arabs for our owners. Juts personal preferences, I know Mike won’t ask me before accepting the bid.

24. 35 Stardust says:
    July 3, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Some of the reporting on the sale of the club has whipped supporters up into a frenzy when it’s become quite obvious they have had no information what so ever.

The story about Shearer’s meeting in london is a prime example.

25. Uh-oh, it sounds like Stu and Stardust are going to agree on something.

Must be something in this strange weather we’re having :p

26. bowburnmag says:
    July 3, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Put it down to the relief that this sad era in he clubs history is coming to an end.

27. “IMO the local papers have been nothing less than a disgrace over the last few weeks.”

They have. Their latest report has all the look of an educated guess, which is fine in itself, but it’s the way they try to pass it off as fact that bothers me.

Most papers do it. They make a load of guesses and then, if they eventually get real news that matches, they point back to the ‘correct’ guess and claim to have broken the news early.

Never a word is uttered (nor an apology issued) about the wrong guesses they passed of as fact of course.

I have nothing against speculation, opinion and guesswork so long as it’s clearly presented as that.

28. Hugh

If they had to apologise for every story they got wrong we’d never get any news. there wouldn’t be any spare lines!

29. Stardust says:
    July 3, 2009 at 10:34 am

“Got a SMS last night from an informed friend who stated the successful group were/are from Qatar – he has yet to corroborate it, just throwing in the mix, feel free to take with a pinch of salt until confirmed.”

Stardust, “Newcastle United Mad” shoved that into one of their stories a couple of hours after you made that comment. It could be on the back page of the Sun tomorrow. :-)

July 3, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Someone posted the text story last night at 22:30 on Newcastle Mad.

That’s why I asked Stadust if he’d been on there yesterday.

Either they both know the same source or it’s a true story!

31. Just watching sky sports news and loads of people are saying what a good “buy” owen is for man u. Am I missing something?

32. 50 Micky Toon says:
    July 3, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Your not missing anything Micky but them lot must be missing their tablets!

33. Stuart79

He may turn out to be a good signing, he will get far more chances playing for Man U then he did with us. And when players leave Newcastle they generally turn out to be good.

34. its simple if owen went to liverpool or man city all the man u fans and press would be laughing saying “past it” “you call this a world class signing” “always injured” etc etc but since man u signed him they are saying “master stroke” “he’ll score loads” “fergies a genius” personally i think hes desperate to try this

35. Micky Toon says:
    July 3, 2009 at 6:14 pm

“Just watching sky sports news and loads of people are saying what a good “buy” owen is for man u. Am I missing something?”

Lots of players have a right old mare at St James’s, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are “finished”, Micky. Owen’s injuries were terrible and ruined his years at Newcastle, but I think that his recent “loss of form” was much exaggerated, and I that he may still have a few goals left in him yet.

36. When you’ve had a knee injury you keep a knee injury.

He looked totally finished imo after his knee injury.

His main asset was his pace and he lost it.

Shearer was never the same player after his knee injuries. It just happens that Shearer had a much better all round game and didn’t rely on his pace.

Owen wasn’t making the runs we all associate with him.

He’s finished for me

37. It’s true about shearer and we often forget how quick he was before his injury. Look at some of his pre injury games. He was quick. Post injury he knew he had lost his pace and adapted his game accordingly. Perhaps fergie will change Owens game like he did with cole, but i really think fergie has dropped a bollock signing owen. He’s not totally infallable.

38. i attended the nufc supporters club meeting which was held at brandon united football club last night. my god it was brilliant. you get to find out alot of stuff which has never been leeked in the press. it was really good. i have now joined as a member at £10. a supporters trust is trying to be set away. manchester united have one of these and they have 37,000 people who are in the supporters trust, with a fund of 20.5 million quid. this is for when the club ever got into a bit of financial trouble, who would they approach, yep the fans, same applies for us. so lets get involved and lets get on the same wavelength because it would be great to get a supporters voice as part of the clubs board. they would then listen to what the fans have to say. this was what john gibson was saying at the meeting last night. it was the first time i had been to the meeting and folks, it was brilliant. anyway, back to what i was going to tell you, at 6pm last night, 4 bids had been accepted by ashley, this was said at the meeting. your question is how do i know this, well put it like this, the supporters club was helped launched by seymour group, the same group who are taking care of the takeover. i can tell you that there are 2 front runners. 1 of the groups is the american group, the other is the arabs. monday is the big day so it seems from what was said. an official annoucement is set for monday. the other 2 bids are unknown, so probably one is the asian group. i can tell you though freddy shepherd is not in the running to buy the club, he can afford it, but he can not back it. i just thought i would share this with you. some of the other stuff such has what has happend at the club was just unbelievable such as what happend to alan oliver, the milner, given, nzogbia transfers, what the club advised the fans to do, but the supporters club told them where to go caus it was laughable, how shearer got the managers job, it was just unreal. I will be so so glad once these monkeys are out of our club, put it like this, if they did not sell, then we would not have a club to support for much longer, and that is the truth everyone.

Was posted on Ed’s blog.

Make of it what you will.

Could back up Stardust’s text

39. I’m going to the next one at the Irish Club in a Rangers shirt. I just want to see if they’ll ask me to leave really.

40. I’ll tell ya what I fancy going to one of these NUSC meetings.

Some of the things you find out are ridiculous!

41. worky – aye, somebody else has gone for that one.

Didn’t do too badly on my rumours though eh? Reports since have supported those rumours.

I think Stardust’s involved but I won’t write an article about it.

42. bowburnmag says:
    July 3, 2009 at 8:16 pm

“worky – aye, somebody else has gone for that one.”

Of course, it was the Sun.

“I think Stardust’s involved but I won’t write an article about it.”

Go on Bowburn, make up lots of ridiculous rumours about him! :-)

43. I take it you’re bored and restless?

My article was that bad?

We can always go and fight some Palace Guards if it would make you feel better?

44. Why would I go to London? Haven’t you been to Newcastle lately? Enough Southerners up here to fight if I wanted to. I think you’re all a little low on testosterone, might want to get checked out by your GP.

45. Just passed my MOT.

I’m full of spunk me 52.
    You just have to use it in the right way. Otherwise you end up all bad-tempered and anti-social.

Anyway, I’m not getting into a daft debate. The weekend starts here. Rolling, rolling, rolling…..

46. 52 – by the way I don’t think we always get each other’s banter. Half the time, I’m just indulging you not patronising.

47. Well it certainly appears that we are very close to finding out who our new illustrious(hopefully) owner is likely to be. If you could hazard a guess based on the options reported in the press, which clearly could be complete BS, whic one would you chose?

48. Hi Deb,

“If you could hazard a guess based on the options reported in the press, which clearly could be complete BS, which one would you chose?”

I think the only thing the press know for certain is that a bunch of Malaysians were shown around Newcastle.

The bit about an £80m bid is nonsense I suspect.

49. I miss the days of terrorising Ed’s blog. My old playmates Toon Chicken and Spyro rarely show up now…a sign of the times over there, that the best posters (myself top of the list) don’t go there anymore.

50. You don’t have the cutting wit and elegant trolling style of Toon Chicken. Plus aren’t you Spanish?

51. Hugh

I agree. They know very little so lots of ‘creative writing’ going on which is quite amusing

52. TF

No point you two trying to get round me now. I’ve told you before not to use that photo as my hair is shorter now

53. Anyway back to footie, is there anyone still on here to have a sensible conversation with or I’m off to bed

54. I never ordered a Burger. And where’s mi fuckin extra portion of chips you cnt have got my order right you cnt have got my order right you cnt have got my order right you

55. …ahh, Worky man, good te see ye. Canit dee too many wards at the mermint though. You do realise Michael Owen swore his allegiance to the Taliban on September 12th 08 (?)

56. WWWAAAAAAALLLKKKKKKKKKKKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

…LERIZ INMAN!

…al faalaseep on the step inaminit

57. JOKERINNEAR has said he wants to return as manager of newcastle hope this is not the 1st stage of ashley saying hes not selling

58. Morning Batty

I bet he does. Hopefully the sale will be announced any day and the nightmare will come to an end. Can’t see Ashley not accepting one of the offers can you? Life could not be that cruel could it???

59. morning deb no i think he will sell but on ssn kinnear said if mike is unable to sell the club he would like to manage them has ashley told him to say it

60. Shieldss gazette and Sun are reporting the Malaysian is Ananda Krishnan.

61. Stuart 79

‘I suspect they have just picked a Malaysian billionaire out of a hat and said right we’ll go with him.’

I’m sure thats right. The lack of info must be driving these hacks nuts