Newcastle United – News Roundup – 16 July 2009.

Posted on July 16th, 2009 | 25 Comments |

Shearer - in the dark?
Shearer - in the dark?
Good morning. A lot of the papers are simply following up on the club announcement that Joe Kinnear will definitely not be reinstated as manager, perishing the thought that anyone would suggest such a thing. That’s except for The Mail of course, which is where the rumour got its foothold in the national press – they have conveniently ignored the club announcement and decided to say nothing.

Louise Taylor can never seem to resist writing some gloom about Newcastle though and her article in The Guardian bleats on about stalled sales and the club’s lack of communication with Shearer about things. There’s nothing new in the article so she tries to spice it up with quotes from ‘a source close to Shearer’, who says:

Alan is completely in the dark.

Alan is in talks with the BBC at the moment. He currently has one year left on his contract with them and they want to keep him but they also know how much he loves Newcastle and are being extremely understanding.

She goes on to try and stir things up a bit by quoting some of Kinnear’s comments to the Irish press over the weekend:

Alan has been a phenomenal player but he’s never been in management or coaching.

The whole of Newcastle wanted Alan Shearer though and they got him. They have delusions of grandeur. They want someone who can put together a winning run on a regular basis.

When I went into hospital we were 13th with 13 games left. It [avoiding relegation] was looking an absolute doddle. We were on a great run.

The BBC reports of our match with Leyton Orient on 25 July, arranged to replace the cancelled match against Utrecht.

In The Journal, Nicky Butt tells of how he feels this will be a tough season (no kidding!) and there’s a nugget of information at the bottom of the article about how Jermaine Beckford’s desire to come to Newcastle may be scuppered by Leeds if our ‘in limbo’ state continues and Leeds receive a decent offer for the guy.

Going back to the official site, they have a report on our reserve side’s 3-2 win over Ashington with goals from Wesley Hgo Baheng, Fabio Zamblera and Sammy Ameobi. It’s really nice to be reporting on some football for a change, and a win at that!

NUFCBlog Author: Hugh de Payen I'm a baby-boomer of the punk rock persuasion, currently exiled in Somerset for crimes committed in a previous life where locals keep trying to poison me with something called 'scrumpy'. Hates sprouts, coat-hangers, Cilla Black, ornaments, Steven Seagull movies and 50 Cent (he's not worth 10). Hugh de Payen has written 634 articles on this blog.

1. Hugh de Payen says:
    July 16, 2009 at 9:47 am

“That can’t be pleasing Mike.”

Strangely, the biggest Sports Direct slump probably did please Mike, Hugh. He sold alot of SD shares at top price in a huge share issue, made over £900 million in one day and bought a certain football club. Then, the shares tanked fairly rapidly, and he bought lots of them back at a fraction of the price he sold them for.

I daresay that the football club he purchased with his winnings hasn’t pleased him a great deal though. :-)

2. beyethegreat says:
    July 16, 2009 at 12:10 pm

“worky

if im not mistaken that 900 mil is a record?”

So they say, Beye. Most earned in one day, or something like that.

3. Day 55 in the nut hoose………

Thou shall have a fishy on a little dishy, thou shall have a fishy when the boat comes in.

That boat is taking it’s time mind!!!

4. Scenario 1 – Shearer knows nowt more than us and is chomping at the bit but is pretty frustrated and ready to throw the towel in and return to the BBC if nothing happens soon.

Scenario 2 – Shearer knows something and it’s enough to allow him patience to let things unravel.

Scenario 3 – Shearer knows everything and is ready to roll into another St James’ ticker tape parade anytime soon.

Scenario 4 – Big Al is just teeing off on the 5th and is predominantly concerned with getting ‘closest to the tee’ on a difficult Par 3.

You choose.

5. I like the idea of 4 best but I think it’s probably 2. I don’t think he knows much more than us but maybe it’s enough.

6. Scenario 5 – Shearer is in the know, but is still frustrated that Ashley is refusing bids left and right because they don’t meet his 100 million asking price.

I really hope we don’t go into administration.

7. bowburn

its actually quite a coincidence that you decided to use a golf analogy as my uncle was talking to his mate who just happend to be playing golf (not with obviousely but at the same time as shearer) and after he got his autograph he said whats happening with the club and shearer said i havent been told anything its all just a complete mess

though this was a month ago things may (hopefully) have changed

8. beyethegreat says:
    July 16, 2009 at 8:10 pm (Edit)

“bowburn

its actually quite a coincidence that you decided to use a golf analogy”

Beye, that wasn’t an ‘analogy’, it was an ‘Alanogy’. :-)

9. Check out the comedians! Are we funny or what?

What???

T_F – my lass will have carefully considered all four scenarios I outlined and decided on something entirely different, such is a woman’s prerogative. Not that I’m inferring owt about AndrewT ;)

Actually ‘the missus’ doesn’t care that much, she’s apathetic about the entire thing and truth be known was fortunately snatched from the jaws of a life of grime as a Makem. I married into a well dodgy family (with all their S********d tendencies). As a result, before she became ‘the missus’ I used to refer to her as ‘X’ until I was able to convert her to black and white.

10. BBW, that’s completely acceptable.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about how you discovered your current wife and the brave acts that you performed to save her.

11. Evening Guys

Cr*p week sorry I’ve not contributed much, work has been a nightmare. Anyway BB made me laugh with his exmackem? wife, and then Worky with his

‘Bowburn, I have a big S********d secret too. Deb knows what it is.’

It looks like a lot of us have closet mackem secrets – Worky knows mine. Suffice to say, the mackem I was involved with became history when he wanted me to change allegiances to the red and white persuausion….

12. I hit the only Mackem I’ve ever talked to. Thought he was pretty hard, does Kickboxing. He was no CroCop.

13. I hit a Makem once on the pitch when I was playing. He hit me back twice as hard which wasn’t as I’d planned it. Not like the movies at all.

14. bowburnmag says:
    July 16, 2009 at 1:38 pm

“worky – I have pre-season games Tuesdays and Saturdays from now on but might be making the Huddersfield or Leeds game so could contribute some form of match report.”

I’ll be going to the Leyton game.

15. Incidentally, I’ve only just started spelling ‘Makem’ without a ‘c’, after years of including it.

I realised that the ‘make ’em and take ’em’ story that it’s based on, meant there’s probably not a ‘C’ in there.

Dear me, such worrying times…..

Also, I’m pretty sure I say ‘Haway’ rather than ‘Howay’ and I was born 800 yards from St James’ Park. Surely that’s not a Ma(c)kem spelling? I think that’s a new theory borne out of t’internet.

16. worky – I fancied the Darlo game but we’ve got a 3pm kick off against the mighty Consett so I need to be there for 2pm. I’d contemplated doing the 1st half of the Toon game but decided against it in the end.

17. bowburnmag says:
    July 16, 2009 at 11:20 pm

“worky – I fancied the Darlo game but we’ve got a 3pm kick off against the mighty Consett so I need to be there for 2pm. I’d contemplated doing the 1st half of the Toon game but decided against it in the end.”

18. Very good chance my game is going to be off with the rain, so if there’s no training instead, I’ll be at the Toon game.

That’s just to say I’ll write a report AND I’m excited about going to the first game of the season.

19. Aye, I’m not surprised you decided against it, Bowburn. I’m looking forward to the Leyton game, I may actually see them win for a change!

i bet you were quite happy about the fixture change were you? worky as i know they are a london side and you have mentioned many times that you live in london do you know any leyton fans?