Newcastle defenders for the Chop.

Posted on September 8th, 2009 | 27 Comments |

Carrying his banjo with aplomb
Carrying his banjo with aplomb
In a country well known for it’s love of lamb (easy tiger), there’s a new Chop on the menu. It’s not of the woolly variety though, it’s the history-making Michael Chopra and his scoring boots that has the city of Cardiff salivating.

Chops was breaking down the barriers back in 2006, when he became the first player of Indian parentage to grace the Premiership with both appearances and accompanying goals. Back in the day, he looked like the rightful heir to Shearer’s throne as being a local lad, not only did he attend the same school as Big Al but he also knew where the goal was.

However, with a pile of high profile strikers in front of him, Chopra struggled to make a starting place his own. While he will remain a Geordie legend forever for both his (quickest Premiership) goal in the 4-1 mauling of the Mackems at their dump and his inability / unwillingness to put the goal in the Leazes End net, sadly it was inevitable his future lay elsewhere.

However, it was also almost inevitable that he would find his feet and set off on a scoring streak to raise questions about whether the relatively low sum of £500k was actually daylight robbery when Cardiff paid that sum to take him later in that summer of 2006. Since then, not unlike Micky Bridges, a local lad with firm Newcastle roots appeared to be tricked into signing for them down the road for the tidy sum of £5m all-in.

But for the reasons given above, I’m sure he can be forgiven and as with Clarkie the water will pass under the bridge when we considere he did little to harm us in reality. All of that red and white nonsense aside, while he actually proved he could score goals at the top level, The Championship has proved his favourite hunting ground to-date and he has pretty much scored everywhere he’s gone, save for a barren spell at Nottingham Forest.

Cardiff have quite brilliant stuffed it up the Mackems by getting him first on loan and then taking him permanently away from them for just over a third of the fee they received. And since his return, Chops hasn’t really looked back and is sitting pretty as the leading scorer at this level with seven goals, just above his old mate Shola.

I’d prefer that, even if he has a decent game, he isn’t able to add to that tally on Sunday but that if he continues in this vein of form then hats off to the kid. Until he’s proved it over a couple of seasons, it’s hard to argue that he’s a top flight striker but with just about a goal every other game at this level, he’s still one to watch in The Championship. Our rearguard will need to be extra vigilant as this weekend could be the moment he proves a point to us.

NUFCBlog Author: bowburnmag bowburnmag has written 234 articles on this blog.

1. this is defo our biggest test in the championship away to cardiff.for all the lads going dont forget your hardhats.lol

2. Draw would be a good result, a win would be unbelievable.

We need all the points we can get now before the injuries and suspensions strike come winter.

3. blanche says:
    September 8, 2009 at 4:01 pm

“good looks are a curse , count yourself lucky chopra.”

Well he may not be Brad Pitt, but he certainly ain’t Iain Dowie either blanche!

September 8, 2009 at 5:06 pm
    blanche says:
    September 8, 2009 at 4:01 pm

“good looks are a curse , count yourself lucky chopra.”

Well he may not be Brad Pitt, but he certainly ain’t Iain Dowie either blanche!

You could say the same for John Merrick!

5. UTD111 says:
    September 8, 2009 at 5:31 pm

“As far as looks go…..and his build and playing style, he always reminds me of Keith Dyson”

That’s gannin’ back a bit, UTD111.

6. Agreed……but I think he was very similar.

Think Dyson went to Blackpool when Tony Green came to United.

What I wouldn’t give for a Tony Green in the present squad!!

7. UTD111 says:
    September 8, 2009 at 5:40 pm

“Agreed……but I think he was very similar.

Think Dyson went to Blackpool when Tony Green came to United.

What I wouldn’t give for a Tony Green in the present squad!!”

I just missed those two, UTD111. But I know that Tony Green was good until he knacked his knee.

8. I know I said on an earlier article but TG is my old man’s all-time favourite player. Clearly Dowie got the brains and not the beauty. He looks like something out of Lord Of The Rings in that shot. No wonder he was decent in the air. It was scare tactics.

9. bowburnmag says:
    September 8, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I think you’re righ.

I think he has a degree in civil engineering.

Really comes in handy when coaching I’m sure!

10. Stu – I’m sure he’s got a Masters. And he invents new words. Hopefully he’ll be waxing lyrical about our “bouncebackability” this time next year.

11. bowburnmag says:
    September 8, 2009 at 7:26 pm

“Stu – I’m sure he’s got a Masters. And he invents new words. Hopefully he’ll be waxing lyrical about our “bouncebackability” this time next year.”

He has, Bowburn. B*ll*cks to the second bit though!

12. I’d be very happy to see Dowie involved up here.

He has been successful more or less wherever he’s been.

Success being relative to the club he was at of course.

13. Stuart79 says:
    September 8, 2009 at 7:57 pm

“He has been successful more or less wherever he’s been.”

I think you mean he’s been sacked everywhere he’s been, Stuart, apart from Oldham where they just stopped paying him.

He makes Joe Kinnear look like Rinus Michels.

14. Nah Worky I mean successful.

Palace he left to go to Charlton and was ridiculously sacked after 9 games or so.

At Coventry he did well to keep them in the division as he was manager through Administration.

QPR – Well has anyone lasted more than a couple of weeks under that idoit Briatore? He has been their most successful manager under that regime too.

So overall I feel he’s done well with what he’s had.

I know you don’t like Dowie Worky and I don’t know why but I feel he’s a decent coach and his record is good.

15. It’s all about the Palace shenanigans when the courts ruled he lied to get out and go to Charlton. He’s got the right to appeal now though.

Am I right?

September 8, 2009 at 8:39 pm
    Stuart79 says:
    September 8, 2009 at 8:23 pm

“I know you don’t like Dowie Worky”

I don’t know why you think I’m not a huge fan, Stuart.

Just a hunch….

17. bowburnmag says:
    September 8, 2009 at 8:43 pm (Edit)

“It’s all about the Palace shenanigans when the courts ruled he lied to get out and go to Charlton. He’s got the right to appeal now though.”

Not just that Bowburn. He’s the kind of cut price Big Sam. He may have embraced all these modern methods backstage (the nutritionalists and all that) but he’s a bit of an old school Championship plodder once once the players cross the line. Considering we’re in the world of the blind, where the one eyed man is king, Kinnear is much better than Dowie. But I’ll stick with the Chuckle brothers for now because the last thing we need now is more upheaval.

18. bowburnmag says:
    September 8, 2009 at 8:43 pm

“He’s got the right to appeal now though.
    Am I right?”

It was an open and shut case, the judge thought he had more front than Brighton.