Toon loan targets – Marlon King the latest.

Posted on September 4th, 2009 | 98 Comments |

Marlon King - latest target
Marlon King - latest target
It’s handy this emergency loan system. I’m not sure exactly what we did to qualify, which is apparently dealt with on a case-by-case basis, but it seems we do. That means we can bring in any number of players on a maximum 93-day loan at any time from a week after the transfer window closes until the 4th Thursday of November.

The Mirror is reporting that our latest target is Wigan’s Marlon King. The striker was loaned out to Hull and Middlesbrough last season and doesn’t look like he’s going to command regular first team football under Roberto Martinez. King’s strike rate has been roughly a goal every 3 or 4 games in a career that has seen him signed by Barnet, Gillingham, Notts Forrest and Watford prior to his transfer to Wigan.

King is no stranger to controversy having spent 5 months in prison in 2002 for handling a stolen car and he allegedly nutted Dean Windass in a casino in November 2008. In fact he’s due in the Crown Court on October 26th this year on charges of sexual assault and ABH after he pleaded not guilty at a Magistrates Court in April.

I must admit I’m not entirely convinced about the wisdom of loaning Marlon King right now.

The Northern Echo is reporting that we haven’t given up on Craig Cathcart yet either. We failed to strike a deal with Man Utd to buy the player during the transfer window but apparently we’re still keen on loaning him.

And of course we reported yesterday about the club’s interest in Marlon Harewood.

Given the current situation at the club – what with our Championship status and Ashley planning to sell up – I’m not actually against the idea of getting in players on loan. If we hope to get promotion at the first attempt it would be pointless to buy Championship-class players who we’d then have to sell as soon as we got promoted.

If we were to buy players at all we need to be trying to spot the current Championship-class players who could also make it in the Premier League. Sure, there’s always going to be some shuffling around when a team gets promoted but I think it works better if there’s a core of players who are good enough to make the transition.

NUFCBlog Author: Hugh de Payen

I’m a baby-boomer of the punk rock persuasion, currently exiled in Somerset for crimes committed in a previous life where locals keep trying to poison me with something called ‘scrumpy’. Hates sprouts, coat-hangers, Cilla Black, ornaments, Steven Seagull movies and 50 Cent (he’s not worth 10).

Hugh de Payen has written 634 articles on this blog.

1. Lets build a team that is 100% loan players! Tell em that there is contract in it if we get promoted and if they have shown that they have put in a deserving effort. No more over paid has beens playing out their time in a black and white shirt!!

2. Marlon King or Marlon Harewood? why not sign both… lol the choices of a Championship side.. I’d rather play an injured Shola…

3. That final paragraph is spot on.

A little leftfield but Ishmael Miller might be available when he’s fit again (and depending on a full recovery) from West Brom. We’re screaming out for some pace and Miller gives that as well as being 6 foot 3 tall and strong as an ox. With Cox, Moore and the impressive young Chris Wood coming through along with Reuben Reid and possibly Roman Bednar still to come back he could be brought to the Toon with the right deal. He’s also got Premiership experience and played a good amount at Championship level too and still has a good future ahead of him. That’s the kind of signing we need to make and Matty Kilgallon fits the bill similarly for a CB as players who are good now but could be much better.

That would mean Lovenkrands would be the only shortass of a striker at 6 foot tall. No defenders would be able to outmuscle our strikeforce and Miller and Ranger can still motor when necessary. Then we have players like Vuckic, LuaLua and Adjei who can play wide but if they play upfront could run in behind, out wide or come deep providing a contrast of playing styles.

4. Aussie Magpie – nice idea but you can only field 5 loans players in any one game.

As for what we did to qualify – we got relegated. Any League club can do it.

5. Sounds like Mr King would make a good boozing buddy for our own enfant terrible, Mr Barton… Nothing like importing trouble; wonder if Shearer would approve?

6. summerof69 says:
    September 4, 2009 at 2:03 pm

“worky how do you know that ??”

Because I’m the admin here, 69. I know everything (mwahhahah)! ;-)

It isn’t just ‘Toontastic’, it’s ‘Skunkers’ and ‘Newcastle United Mad’ as well.

7. Interesting, worky. Why do people of other blogs want to come on and cause hassle? It’s not like we are a Sunlung blog or anything. You’d think people would want to be seen as a united band of fans. I guess it’s what you call being small minded.

8. oooh who’s in trouble… It isn’t just ‘Toontastic’, it’s ‘Skunkers’ and ‘Newcastle United Mad’ as well

i think being cornered by the chuckle brothers or being bullied by joe pasquale would have a similar ‘scare factor’…lol

9. Interesting, worky. Why do people of other blogs want to come on and cause hassle? It’s not like we are a Sunlung blog or anything. You’d think people would want to be seen as a united band of fans. I guess it’s what you call being small minded….

its called rivalry, jealousy, its a healthy thing… keeps you on your toes

10. most are positive comments from the 3 sites above. it would be pretty sad if every1 agreed with it, Seems like the majority thought it was a good article and good articles keep people talking which it obviously has.

11. mark says:
    September 4, 2009 at 3:41 pm

“most are positive comments from the 3 sites above. it would be pretty sad if every1 agreed with it, Seems like the majority thought it was a good article and good articles keep people talking which it obviously has.”

mark,

I was referring to the people who called Bowburn a “F*****g C***”, said he was writing “complete b*ll*cks”, that he was “giving decent, loyal supporters a bad name”, that everyone who had anything to do with this site were “A-grade muppets” etc. They were comments on this site.

12. Hugh de Payen says:
    September 4, 2009 at 4:12 pm

“The funny thing is that BBM doesn’t even fully believe what he wrote.”

Banjo twangers tend to get a little confused when people start playing ‘Devil’s Advocate’, Hugh.

13. mark,

14. mark says:
    September 4, 2009 at 4:57 pm (Edit)

“well don’t get upset, its only comments that dont have to be taken seriously, he’ll not sleep 2night since you told him..”

I actually quite enjoy it when I’m being insulted by people of that level of intelligence Mark, it reassures me that I’m on the right track. Bowburn however is slightly more apologetic when he deviates from the herd.

15. I imagine those people on those sites are the ones who hang around SJP when Sky Sports are there. I do not like Ashley but I can still see the positives he has done for the club. The youth system, trimming the wage bill and clearing some of the debt.

16. I don’t understand the urge to categorise people all the time: ‘pro-Ashley’, ‘anti-Ashley’, ‘pro-Shearer’, ‘anti-Keegan’ etc.

It’s perfectly possible to hold views that fall somewhere between the strict categorisations.

17. Ever seen a mackem in Milan says:
    September 4, 2009 at 6:49 pm

“I imagine those people on those sites are the ones who hang around SJP when Sky Sports are there.”

They weren’t all bad ESAMIM, some were making quite reasonable comments. It’s just that 69 asked me which sites the people who insulted Bowburn came from, so I told him.

Stuart79 says:
    September 4, 2009 at 5:07 pm (Edit)

“The ads on Ed’s blog are doing me balls in!”

Stuart,

I think you mean the “Interstitial” ads. The ones that block the whole screen, and make you wait for a big page to download before you can press the “skip this ad” button. Unlike everyone else nowadays, Ed doesn’t seem to realise that they are stupid, counterproductive and don’t bring any revenue to the site.

18. I know this is probably off subject, but has Rodzilla been posting on this site? Anybody know what happened to him on Ed’s site?

19. Hugh de Payen says:
    September 4, 2009 at 7:04 pm

“I don’t understand the urge to categorise people all the time: ‘pro-Ashley’, ‘anti-Ashley’, ‘pro-Shearer’, ‘anti-Keegan’ etc.”

It’s all part of the ‘Straw Man’ thing Hugh. They have problems with the subtleties of the real argument because of their dishonesty and lack of intellect. So, they attempt to reframe the argument in their own simpleton terms to make it easier to criticise.

20. OHurley says:
    September 4, 2009 at 7:17 pm

“I know this is probably off subject, but has Rodzilla been posting on this site? Anybody know what happened to him on Ed’s site?”

Good to see you on here OHurley!

Yes, he has been posting on this site a bit. He doesn’t do a great deal of the 3AM drivel on here though (only joking Rod).

ps He put the contents of a message he received from Ed on here somewhere the other day, where Ed apparently wrote that he’d been “inundated with complaints” about Rod’s behaviour, and that he was pulling the plug on him.

21. Quite so Worky.

I also think Ashley had some good ideas at the beginning and his intentions were honourable, and maybe if he’d appointed a football-savvy chairman and given over a lot of the decision-making to him the results would have been totally different.

Some of his decisions have of course been atrocious and when he found himself in a hole he seemed to grab an even bigger spade and keep digging for some reason, but that doesn’t mean he’s Satan’s evil twin and was intentionally trying to ruin the club.

22. Hugh de Payen says:
    September 4, 2009 at 7:40 pm

“Quite so Worky.

I mean I think Ashley’s an incompetent buffoon when it comes to running a football club, yet I’m still glad he took the club off Shepherd or we’d have been financially ruined.”

Perhaps there was a bit of ‘too much too soon’ in there Hugh? He had so much success, so quickly with his business model at Sports Direct, that he thought he had the Midas touch, and hubris made him complacent. I don’t know.

However, inexperienced people can learn from their mistakes. For instance, they thought that Bobby Robson was a incompetent buffoon when he started out in management and got relegated, and they continued to think the same thing in his first few years at Ipswich.

Hughton’s had the same problem with the Geordie idiots who don’t know the first thing about his career. When you stick your head over the parapet and try to do something, there are always resentful idiots who want to pull you down, especially at Newcastle United, which is about the worst place around for that sort of thing.

23. batty says:
    September 4, 2009 at 9:08 pm

“worky do you think every 1 has gone oot to the pub and heres me and you stuck in agen”

Aye batty, I’m still off the drink (apart from my birthday last week) and I’m stuck with work again.

You might be able to help me out with something actually batty.

24. If I remember rightly, you and Rod like a sly punt every now and again?

If so, I wanted to ask who you think are the best online betting people in your opinion? Who would you go to if you wanted to stick a few quid on a match, or a horse, or whatever?

25. worky dont know m8 with the amount of time i spend in the house i wouldnt dare get 1 m8 would be bancrupt within a month rod is the best guy for that m8

26. Aye, ok then batty. I’ll ask Rod when I get round to writing the e.mail I’m supposed to send him.

It’s was really funny watching you, Rod and Stardust having a gossip the other day BTW. I still don’t beleive that a load of people have complained about Rod at the other place.

27. worky i just think 1 person complained and ive been banned countless times lol got that many computers in the house and used proxy sever for a bit lol and aye stardust is not that bad he was like a big kid when he was winding them up with billy and wor donna

28. “aye stardust is not that bad he was like a big kid when he was winding them up with billy and wor donna”

I thought that was someone having a wind up, I thought it might be him for a split second a couple of times, then I thought “nah, it couldn’t be!” I didn’t know he had it in him!

I wish he’d do some more ‘blogs on here about financial stuff. I know about business but he’s much better on the jargon than I am and he’s a bit better at explaining things. He could have explained why alot of these so called Newcastle United bidders are complete knackers better than I could. :-)

29. worky and as for dragera i cant stand his anti geordie comments m8 tranfer window all he kept on aboot was taylor and carrol leaving saying they were sh:t and then he slags shearer as for me i have never slaged any 1 wareing a toon top i even cant slag i the yellow top what we have because its gotta toon badge on it lol

30. worky thats why he got me on msm that night cos he knew i was gettin close so he mentioned my fist name lol bit shocked like thought it was me bro at 1st

31. 43 workyticket says:
    September 4, 2009 at 9:59 pm
    batty says:
    September 4, 2009 at 9:57 pm

“i have never slaged any 1 wareing a toon top”

What about last season? LOL
    <<<< xisco a think but never realy sore him in a toon top lol

September 4, 2009 at 10:02 pm
    I know what you mean batty, except when it comes to the club, which is more important than any individual players.
    <<<< well to me it just all the same thing like

33. batty,

I don’t like booing or complaining about the players when they’ve had four different managers to put up with in one season, or booing the managers when they’ve only had five minutes in the job. It took Bobby years to turn Ipswich around and we all think he’s one of the greats now.

34. batty says:
    September 4, 2009 at 10:05 pm

<<<< well to me it just all the same thing like Yes batty, but you can have great ex Newcastle players who have different opinions about the club and what's best for it. Remember when quite a few people had a go at Pedro? They even accused him of being in Ashley's pocket and betraying the club. Beardsley is the most honest man on Tyneside and he would never do that.

35. batty says:
    September 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm

“must admit i did boo joke at the stoke match at sjp for his subtitusions”

Was it because they were almost at the end of the game?

I couldn’t help liking Joe Kinnear, he made me laugh when he was blowing kisses at all those big, ugly Geordies, and I can’t stand that Simon Bird! lol

36. worky shearer got it right when he blamed every thing and every 1 including himself for relegation last season and i think he was as gutted as us fans because he is a fan the rest i dont think they were as botherd m8

37. Tino 11 says:
    September 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm

“Kathy Secker’s husband might disagree!”

That brings back memories, batty. She’s must have been gannin’ for about a hundred years now!

38. batty says:
    September 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm

“worky both”

I quite liked Kinnear’s ‘Billy the Fish’ hairstyle, but I wouldn’t have it myself! It didn’t help with his old fashioned image either.

39. batty says:
    September 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm

“you havent been with her have u worky lol have u”

LOL no! She’s just like Mike Neville. I can remember her from way back, and I’m getting on a bit now!

I couldn’t belive it when I went up there and Mike Neville wasn’t on the telly anymore.

40. batty says:
    September 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm

“worky do u get back home much m8”

I usually go up and see my brother when I go up north now, but he’s out in the middle of nowhere between Scarborough and Whitby, and just the odd game, or visit. I see the team more at away games now though.

I miss Durham City, I spent alot of my childhood there

41. Worky “I wish he’d do some more ‘blogs on here”

When the blog started as you know I was overjoyed and was only too happy to post, I enjoyed a type of banter that was missing from Eds – I dont apologise for saying it was a higher class of banter.

Unfortunately over time on Eds blog – its fair to say I have gathered my own little hate club lol – I appreciate I am honest and forthright and sometimes people dont like the truth so directly – but when blogging you dont know your audience so cant weight it accordingly as you do it in real life – you simply say things factually.

Conversations from Eds were follwoing me onto here but that had a threefold effect.

1 – It appeared like I was having a go at some of the bloggers on here when theyd fire a small line and I would react apparently with greater venom than that one comment deserved, when in fact they were as a result of other heated conversations when they simply lied on Eds. Other people who I respect on here were commenting that I was out of order when they were forming an opinion with 1% of the evidence.

2 – That made me feel like my hate club were coming into my own “home” crapping all over it and I was powerless to act and seen as the bad guy when I reacted.

3 – This detracted from the quality of this blog and took attention away from where it was meant to be. A high quality wide ranging view and debate blog where all points where challenged and debated without a sheep mentality.

Obviously I had sent you a few emails explaining I was considering withdrawing and for the sake of the quality of this blog I did – no more or less.

I do find it easier being a poster than blogger as the boundaries and responsibilities are clearly defined when one tries to be both.

The time might be right for me to start making blogs again for you – i will have a think – cant do a load as I have a few large transactions closing, we are building a new home and we’ve just had a beautiful baby daughter, so lifes pretty full.

I will most likely trial a post or two, see the reaction and take it from there.

Cheers

42. Stardust, I can’t beleive you’re writing that. F**k ’em, they were even having a go at Bowburn the other day.

How about the diary of Billy Bunter the binman? That would be a huge hit! :-)

43. stardust workys right man why should you bother what people think and the diary of billy and wor donna would be a right laugh and the same muppets would probaly beleive it and dont be a coward like you call 1 of my heros so like worky sed fck em

44. Ha I like that idea – to be fair worky the only reason I stepped aside on this blog was if I had stayed – bickered and argued with those who I wouldnt wipe my shoes with – it would have spoiled this blogs great start and made it focus on the wrong things.

….Batty no I wasnt bothered about what “they”thought whatsoever – just I was protecting this blogs great start – I didnt want to drag it down – you will know the ones I am on about – I say what they are to them on Eds blog….which is getting pretty poor….his Uzi-Blogging is only aimed at generating clicks and revenue – the quality of the threads or stories doesnt matter.

45. Marlon King?!

…give me Mark King, anyday of the week. Would terrorise the weekend week-out weakened acoustic-only defences, with his electronic pop-topping bass-slapstick twank.

46. stardy tell him that you have talked me round to your way of thinking and when he comes on next ile tell him ashley is the best thing since sliced bread lol

47. Actually Rod my Grandfather was Morris Mcwhirter – he has just sent me a message via a lightbulb and glass and said youve just created your own world record – 2 posts after 11pm without any sign of getting banned lol