Lots of hailing at Newcastle United.

Posted on October 12th, 2009 | 64 Comments |

Caught in the hail
Caught in the hail
The only reason I’m posting this article is because I read three articles in succession about somebody ‘hailing’ something at Newcastle United.

What is it with all this hail?

First up there’s the Chronicle’s Marlon Harewood hails buoyant Newcastle. This is basically about how Hitman Harewood’s preconceptions about the Toon were rapidly disproved when he join us on loan.

He can be forgiven for thinking we were a club in disarray given events of the last 12 months but now he says we’re not the ‘crisis club’ he first thought we were. Harewood said:

I haven’t seen anything bad here, just a really good set of professionals.

They went down and they were upset about it, but I haven’t seen any evidence of last season.

They have a job to do now and that is to get back in the Premier League – that’s all I have seen.”

Then in what can only be described as an editorial blunder, the Chronicle has another ‘hailing’ article on the same day with Mick Martin hails ‘caretaker’ Chris Hughton. The former skipper has this to say about Hughton:

The team are thriving at the moment. Chris has done a remarkable job in the circumstances and I commend him and the team for their efforts.

“It was always important for them to get a good start and to hit the ground running, and Chris has managed to achieve that. Everything has really followed that – players have confidence and Chris himself is starting to feel a bit more confident as a manager.

“I played with Chris for Ireland for six years and he’s a great guy. I pop in to see him from time to time and I’m delighted it’s working out for him because he’s dedicated and hard-working.

“He would have said himself that he was more of a coach, but he has developed as a manager and I wonder whether now he wants the job. I don’t think he’s ever come out and said that in so many words but, having got to this stage, he’ll be thinking ‘I can do this job’.

“But he’s been in the game long enough to know that people have short memories. He only has to lose two games and people will start to get uncomfortable again, and it is inevitable that Alan’s name will begin to crop up again.

“My feeling is that Alan would still love to do the job and he’s a legend in Newcastle. He is up there with Jackie Milburn, not just for what he did on the pitch but for the fact that he stayed in Newcastle and he knows the people, he knows the area and he has that understanding of the club.

“Newcastle United is still a big club that maybe needs big characters, and that is where Alan fits in. He’s a phenomenon round here and that is why people are still talking about him. If it was anyone else, maybe they wouldn’t be.”

The 3rd ‘hailing’ article is from the Northern Echo where apparently Guthrie hails new faces. I was never a fan of the show myself, but this is what Danny Guthrie had to say about the new loan arrivals at the club:

They’ve made a big difference. They’ve all played recently and done really well. Marlon’s the newest and you can see what he brings. He’s a different option. He’s big, strong, he’s got good pace and he can score goals. Danny Simpson’s done great at rightback and Khizanishvili looks a good player.

“Marlon (Harewood) brings us something different and I think that’s important. We’ve used Andy and Nile recently and they’ve both done really well. They’re both really strong lads, as is Shola, who did really well at the start of the season. But he’s injured now and we needed someone else. Marlon’s a bit different because he gives you that option in behind. I think that’s what we needed.”

So there we have it. It’s hailing heavily at Newcastle United today. I wonder what tomorrow’s weather will bring.

NUFCBlog Author: Hugh de Payen I'm a baby-boomer of the punk rock persuasion, currently exiled in Somerset for crimes committed in a previous life where locals keep trying to poison me with something called 'scrumpy'. Hates sprouts, coat-hangers, Cilla Black, ornaments, Steven Seagull movies and 50 Cent (he's not worth 10). Hugh de Payen has written 634 articles on this blog.

1. Oi Oi radgies!!!

Hoo man! Can nee body see that hooters is having an extended honeymoon like?

It’s alreet if ya winning, everyone loves ya, but when things gan wrang, nee body wants to kna yi.

It’s like me like! Aal the charva’s want me cowies when they are good like and they’re aal me best mates but when I hoy a bit of jif powder in like, they divvent like is. Pure ladgeful man!!!!

Keeegan! Keeeegan! He used to gan oot wi me sister man!! Pure cushty! Once Kev came roond wor ken and wi raved aal neet like! He telt is aboot superstars and how everyone thinks he was knocked off his bike like. He was howling like when he was telling is like. He was smashed oot his heed man on ten “E”s.!!! He reckons “E”s in them days like were cush. He reckons David Vine was always on them like! Wouldn’t think it like would yi?

Anyway doylums, ave godda gan. Wor Ann Marie is jackin up and needs a hand to hold her needle!

Oi oi !!!

2. So why are people surprised by Hughton, after all he had a lengthy career as a coach at Spurs, under a bunch of managers.
    Is it really that much of a step up from coach to manager.
    And from recent reports,it appears the team have been well prepared.
    Compare that to the games under Shearer, where both tactics and team selection were questionable and one wonders why there are those who want one replaced by the other.
    The only reason could be the fact Shearers name recognition could be useful in attracting future players to the club.

3. chuck says:
    October 12, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I don’t suppose Hughton’s record has anything to do with the fact that his team is full of internationals playing against pub sides and virtually picks it self.

Your comparison to Shearer is unfair as Shearer had a bunch of players who were/are clearly not good enough for the PL. If they were we wouldn’t have been in three relegation battles on the bounce.

4. @Chuck

Hoo man chuck it in will yi?

D’ ye honestly think hooters is a good manager? We’ve played rubbish football aal season man. The players he’s left with are stronger than the rest of the other teams therefore we’ve won games but to make him manager is beyond me.

The first 11 picks itself and after that, well ave seen nowt to get excited aboot, have ye?

Here man, listen in doylem. Troy has wrote a big book based on his life experiences. Chapter 361 paragraph 2 – “How to persuade and influence people”. Quote” So me and Terry Mac gans doon pop world bar doon the bigg market. We’re off wor heeds on phet, ket and toot!! Tez says summit like, “hoo man troy, a could just eat a burger like. So me and Mac gans oot and gets a burger from Keegans hotdog stall. Hoo man! Wi aal kna the story after that like divvent wi? eh? Terry Mac teks owa Keegans hot dog stall and Keegan joins the toon! It was only later when Keegan phones is up like wanting to kna if Mac wants to join him like. A telt Mac to gan like and a would look after the burgers like! Nee botha to me that like.

resin! toot! black n white army!

5. chuck ur wright about Hughton but the thing is that he have a lot of players that have quality than teams in the championship but eventhough i like what he does i dont think he is up to the premier job. his record is bad 3 draws 2 at home and 1 loss away. but someone must notice thet we have better quality than any team in the championship and anybody musnt be suprised

6. worky the police have been round me house some 1 has gone to stardusts work place and attacked him on saturday so think they will be contacting you m8 its because i put his work place on here the other day hes ok but had 12 stiches thats why he hasent been on m8

7. batty says:
    October 12, 2009 at 6:31 pm

I don’t believe you Batty!

There is no way anybody would stop at just 12 stitches on his heed!

8. Stuart79 There is no way anybody would stop at just 12 stitches on his heed!<<<< it wasent in head m8 and stardust is no mug beleive me stu ask him what he has a black belt in

9. Batty !<<<< it wasent in head m8 and stardust is no mug beleive me stu ask him what he has a black belt in

His Jeans ??

10. chuck says:
    October 12, 2009 at 5:27 pm

“So why are people surprised by Hughton, after all he had a lengthy career as a coach at Spurs, under a bunch of managers.”

Chuck, he was also assistant manager to Martin Jol and twice caretaker manager there as well. Once was only for one game but the other time he did quite well. I’m not surprised by him at all, and neither are my ‘Spurs supporting friends down here in North London. Geordies are just ridiculously biased against him because he’s an outsider and preferred to stay with ‘Spurs, rather than go into full management earlier with a smaller team.

11. With regards to the article….maybe it’s a Star Trek thing? “Hailing frequencies open, captain”. Just a thought.

12. batty says:
    October 12, 2009 at 6:52 pm

His Y Fronts?

13. @Workyticket

Get a grip Busticket.

No one is criticising the way he has conducted himself since he was thrown into the myre.

However, last season when he wasn’t getting results, he was quick to dismiss himself from the job he now craves.

If you can’t see that he has fallen on his feet with a team which is clearly above the standard of the other teams in the championship, then you are as daft as Stardust.

Again, i’m not dismissing his professionalism but the football played this season is worrying and it will only take a defeat to make the fans turn. The last two home games have been abysmal and prior to that we’ve been lucky to win games, save bad finishing from other teams.

Listen in Trainticket, your views are naive to say the least.

14. what we have to realise,is newcastle are still a poor side,playing in a p**s poor league.
    mick martin has also been asking for hughton to be given the job full time,i think this would just be another mistake in a long line.
    chris does deserve some credit for sticking with it,but noway full time manager.
    if hughton was given a contract,it would be another glen roeder situation in the making.
    if newcastle were to be promoted this season,and that is still a long way off,what would happen next season?
    if mike ashley were to appoint chris long term,it would prove ashley is shortsighted and only interested in running a big football club on a shoestring.
    this would put the tin hat on this whole sorry mess,is chris really that good or has he just got slightly better players than the rest of the fizzy?.
    would a half decent manager be able to come into our set up and do well imo probably.
    i also think we are starting to be found out a bit by some of the more pacey sides in the league,also we have beaten sides like reading who lets be honest will be lucky to stay up.
    barring the cardiff game we have struggled somewhat against qpr and bristol who will be up there this season.
    hughton just seems to play running scared football for me.
    i am not getting carried away by this start by any stretch.

15. We’ve fallen into a ‘don’t lose’ situation.
    Scared to lose, based on the fact that the fans could ‘turn’ & make life very difficult at any moment.
    Probably on the back of a loss.
    Rock & a hard place for CH, CC & the rest.
    But it ain’t gonna change anytime soon, so, navel gazing is gonna solve nothing.

16. TROJAN 69 says:
    October 12, 2009 at 7:45 pm

“the team hasn,t changed that much from the one that played last season,so as far as i,m concerned we are still papering over the cracks.”

Trojan are you kidding? The likes of Martins, Duff, Beye, Owen, N’Zogbia, Milner and several others have all gone.

“if we had a bad start in the prem,how long would it be before the fans turn on him?”

That’s because they are ignorant, prejudiced arseholes who shoot themselves in the foot because they don’t know any better. It has nothing to do with Hughton.

October 12, 2009 at 8:14 pm

———————————————————
    Obviously you mean “some are ignorant, prejudiced arseholes who shoot themselves in the foot because they don’t know any better. It has nothing to do with Hughton” :-)

18. Who are all these fans that think we’re playing great football n’ stuff-No-one, you’re arguing with yerself.
    But anyway keep saying the same shit over & over & we’ll all believe you & go & support someone else-NOT!

19. I am so fckin p1ssed off with this twt of a owner that I am not comin on this blog or any other blog until this ownership issue is sorted once and for all!

He has drained all my enthusiasm for the club and football.

When a man can do what he has done to an institution like NUFC and not be held accountable or punished for his actions I feel like the game is no longer for us ‘the supporters’.

He is a despicable, lying c*nt who has brought the club to it’s knees.

He has turned our supporters against each other and the club is no longer United, it will not be until he has gone.

So until this saga is over one way or the other…

Farewell, Goodbye, Au revour.

Over and out!

Stuart79

20. Hmmmm since stuarts decided not to come on the this blog or the real blog anymore until fat Ash has left, i hope he keepes the club for the rest of his life? ;)

21. Bollox, ain’t got that.
    Woulda liked to have seen that.
    Thanx anyway, enjoy.
    Maybe you could give us a blow by blow account.
    AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

22. Thanx batty, it’s sounds like top craic mate,
    All that for £40 a week. :)
    I’d do it for nowt mate, bet you would too.

23. in 69 bobby moncur wanted to leave for norwich but joe harvey kept upp ing his price from 25 k up past 40k cos he didnt want him to leave but he never told bobby till years lata lol

24. Lol
    I was alright back when.
    No.11, left wing, could use both feet. :)
    Ain’t got time these days, bairns.

Do you play?

25. joe harveys half time team talk when were 2 nil down whats a matter moncur boss were 2 nil down and gettin hammerd joe harvey divent worry all you have to do is score a goal and that was it lol

26. batty says:
    October 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm

“joe harvey divent worry all you have to do is score a goal and that was it lol”

They had to score three though, batty.

27. Am I just being really cynical? Dennis Wise is joining a Buckingamshire non-league side. Isn’t that home for Big Mike? Pure coincidence?

October 12, 2009 at 11:01 pm (Edit)

“They had to score three though, batty.”

Oh no! It was two legs, and Newcastle won the first. Silly me. I was only about four when it happened.

29. bowburnmag says:
    October 12, 2009 at 11:06 pm

“Am I just being really cynical? Dennis Wise is joining a Buckingamshire non-league side. Isn’t that home for Big Mike? Pure coincidence?”

You’re being a cynical radgie conspiracy theorist, Bowburn.

30. Running through the other replies I saw a trojan mentioned ! No lads not that far away.

In Jerusalem they have the Wailing Wall here its the Hailing Wall ie from Wallsend to Carlisle.

The Romans obviously got attached to geordie lasses and all these generations later it just surfaces from time to time. If its not Hail Ceasar it’ll be hail this or that, As long as its not hail Ashley,

Its not just about football y
    ‘kna

HAIL HOOTERS ————–you see its catching !

Mr Ashley you asset sripping clown please leave the building for good, your day is over,we all wish you’d never came north of our Wall so trot off back to London
    You like it better there any way.

It has been a complete nightmare and grown men who have never met you loathe you with such a passion I ‘ve never seen before.

Can I hail a Taxi for you?

31. im pleased to see stupid79 has left the building. How long before he shows his stupid head again today? I reckon before midday. He reminds me of my 8 yr old who promises not to speak to me ever again until he wants something to eat. Woo hoo hoo hoo.

32. you said it yourself worky,chris wouldn,t be afforded the time to do the job.
    there is still a lot of last years squad still playing for us,granted there have been departures but most of our starting eleven were involved last season.

33. TROJAN 69 says:
    October 13, 2009 at 9:48 am

“you said it yourself worky,chris wouldn,t be afforded the time to do the job.”

Trojan, if the retarded section of the fans are allowed to drive out managers every five minutes, then the team will almost certainly fail, as it has in the past. They are malignant and should be ignored if the club wants to be successful on the pitch. They have already done a sterling job in deterring any credible new ownership candidates.