Sheard-fronted US bid “all done”.

Posted on October 14th, 2009 | 67 Comments |

"All done" ... hmm
"All done" ... hmm
Apparently the Sheard-fronted Star Foundation has made a bid for Newcastle United and the group expect an answer this week. Sheard claims the matter is in the hands of lawyers with Halliwells representing the Americans and Travers Smith representing Ashley.

Sheard claims it’s “all done”, saying:

We will push it forward this week and it will be resolved. It’s all done as far as we are concerned.

It’s all down to the solicitors now. There has been no contact with ourselves or Derek Llambias or Mike Ashley, just between legal teams.

We are not aware of any other significant interest from elsewhere.”

Personally I am extremely dubious about this, although to be fair I’m dubious about all the politics surrounding Newcastle United at the moment.

Just a couple of days ago, I reported claims made by a ‘Tyneside Source’ in The Telegraph that nobody has come up with any money to buy the club yet. I suspect there probably is something going on between the various solicitors in relation to this bid but unless they are bidding Ashley’s £100m asking price and have provided cast-iron proof that they can afford to pay it, I think this bid is probably in the same boat as all the others.

In other words it’s just a lot of noise at the moment and certainly far from “all done” as Sheard claims.

Derek Llambias has previously played down Geoff Sheard’s bid. Unfortunately we can’t trust anything Llambias has to say, so that’s of little help when it comes to trying to decide upon the credibility of bids.

Is it too much to ask for Ashley to give us a status update regarding the sale of the club? Hmm, I suspect the answer to that is probably ‘yes’.

avatar NUFCBlog Author: Hugh de Payen I’m a baby-boomer of the punk rock persuasion, currently exiled in Somerset for crimes committed in a previous life where locals keep trying to poison me with something called ‘scrumpy’. Hates sprouts, coat-hangers, Cilla Black, ornaments, Steven Seagull movies and 50 Cent (he’s not worth 10). Hugh de Payen has written 634 articles on this blog.

1. Aye, aye! As Stu has temporarily retired and UTD111 has been quiet, I’ll be the early morning response today, and say – blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

But hopefully there’s some truth in it :)
    One of these days we’ll get a surprise.

Off topic, went straight from work to see Newton Faulkner at City Hall last night. Really impressive gig and his support was an Australian girl I’d never heard before called Lisa Mitchell – who does the advert song for Surf or some other soap powder called Neopolitan Dreams. She was brilliant too, and though I was sitting miles away, I’ve since discovered she’s also very foxy :)

2. Sorry folks – our Paddy slept in and didn’t wake me up LOL
    Just looking at the picture of Uncle Fester..erm I mean Sheard – it looks like he would at least have worn a suit and tie at Sir Bobby’s funeral when representing this great club of ours. So for that alone he’s got to be better than the scruffy Barrowboy.

Other than that, I can provide the echo….blah,blah,blah,blah

3. ‘Morning BBM. Never heard of Newton Faulkner or Lisa Mitchell (because I’m an old fart who now listens to radio 2) but I’m glad you enjoyed the concert.

4. Dont wont to write blah blah blah as well but cant help it, heard it all before. We just have to wait and see.

Newton Faulkner is a white guy with massive dreadlocks great singer song writer, never heard of the foxy lady though. Off to work for me…..

5. If we don’t hear a denial from our fearless leaders today then we have to think their is some truth in it. Fatman has been quick to quash any false bidders. Come on fatman your move

6. geoff sheard is a walter mitty character,couldn,t even prove he had the funds for sheff wed takeover.
    i know he,s supposedly fronting this for the american,s,but this guy is a liar and a self publicist.
    i,ll hold my hands up if i,m wrong,but this bloke is as dodgy as cattle truck.

7. im finding it hard to believe this story,i heard a story its moat and sullivan,but who knows,i reckon fatash will hold on to see where we are at the end of the season.

8. Aye probably a load of crap I don’t understand how pretending you have enough doe or know someone who does to buy something and then not is good publicity. Surely the profitable group look stupid now or am I wrong?

9. I need glasses. I thought it said SHEARER fronted bid!

I heard it was a Frank Pingle and Mark Stimpson headed, Sierra Leone based consortium of diamond smugglers.

10. I won’t hold my breath on this one.

Off topic, congratulations to Shay Given on winning his 100th cap tonight, a Toon legend and great bloke.

11. Batty thats a bit harsh, are you questioning his loyalty?
    He give almost 12 years service and won nowt with us.

12. Ventura says:
    October 14, 2009 at 12:33 pm
    Batty thats a bit harsh, are you questioning his loyalty?
    He give almost 12 years service and won nowt with us.
    <<<<< yes 12 years so what why couldnt he wait another 5 months and ive been waiting 40 years and we never won nowt but i still support the toon break a leg shay

13. ventura we give him 1st team football for 12 years fact he went too man city for the cash most probs he could of hung on another 5 months defo and steve harper is more loyal which parts dont you agree with

14. I agree with Batty to an extent. Loyalty is always tested during the bad times. It’s easy to be loyal when everything is going great and the rewards are high.
    The lads who deserve the loyalty credit are the ones who are still with us, trying to get us back into the PL. I include the fans in this. The ones who have stopped going to games after relegation can stay away as far as I am concerned.

15. batty – i’m meeting shearer tomorrow at the dunston fed – i’ll give you a bell later with the gen..

16. batty says:
    October 14, 2009 at 1:01 pm
    sorry roy but him and keegan fcked our season up

batty says:
    October 14, 2009 at 1:04 pm
    roy and i forgot fans like you as well who protested against ashley

Did I just read that correctly Batty – Have I converted you lol?

17. Well this Genie has 3 wishes:

Wish 1 – Keegan to burn in flames for eternity.

Wish 2 – For Batty to burn with him for supporting him

Wish 3 – for the Mob to support Sunderland

18. BBM – I put Pingle, it’s Pingel, isn’t it? I know it’s not Pringle, because I put that once before and got a hiding for it. :-)

19. I’ve been wondering if this is the real batty posting on here. The last thing I expected to hear from batty was a slagging off of KK.

20. Whats the consensus on Houghton?

Even if we get taken over – are folks in favour of big Al – or has Chris earned the right for a crack at it?

21. Stardust, if you mean Hughton the jury is still out as far as I’m concerned. I think he’s done a pretty good job this season but I’m not convinced about whether he is or isn’t the right man to manage this club for the next 3-5 years.

22. batty says:
    October 14, 2009 at 1:00 pm
    ********************************************************
    Fact – Shay was loyal and had ambition, he was given the chance to join the richest club in the world in January and will compete for major honours. If he waited to the end of the season Citeh may have bought someone else. He now has a very good chance of finishing his career with some medals, I wager that If you were in the same position as Given in January you would have gone!!!

Harper is another example of loyalty, but he lacks ambition. Fact – He was content to sit on his backside for almsost 13yrs whilst he picked up a decent salary and presntly is barring Krul’s development.

Most of the present squad have been hailed as being loyal and fighting the cause, the reason they are loyal is that no other clubs will match their wages – Fact.

23. Regarding Hughton – A manager is judged on results. You can’t argue with the results we are getting. I don’t see why there are still any doubts about him being able to do the job. Hughton has EARNED his chance to manage the club. Shearer has not. We talk about continuity being the key to success and not chopping and changing managers in a whim. Yet, most people seem to be saying that Shearer should be appointed manager by any new owner. I’m not convinced of Shearers drawing powers as a manager. Yes, he is a legend of a striker, but nowadays players don’t join clubs just because someone they admire is managing the team, they join the team their agents/advisor’s tell them to.

24. Ventura – You seem so sure of your ‘facts’, do you speak to the players personally? I’d hazard a guess, as that is all you can do, that Harper was not satisfied to sit on the bench and the only reason he was on the bench was because we had Given. No matter how much ambition you have you can’t progress if there is someone much better than you in the position you want to be in.

You say that it is a “fact” that they current squad are only here because they can’t go anywhere else. Again, what is your source on this?

25. Micky Toon > I’m not convinced of Shearers drawing powers as a manager.
    Do you think Hughton has it. I have said all along that Hughton will give his all to any job in life but he is a yes man and I dont think he has the steel to make a good manager I still think he didnt have the balls to drop Butt or Barton who has even came out and said that he didnt think it was fair on the younguns that he was playing while still not fully fit.

26. Micky – Im just throwing one out here – but do you not think its a possibility that Shearer has a reputation for having a large ego – and things his own way – a bit like Roy Keane?

Not always a good thing?

Houghton doesn’t have that.

27. Big Dave – not sure how you can say he has no steel or that he is a yes man.

You could similarly read it that he was loyal to NUFC when all those around ran – that he stood strong and won the respect of everyone – players, fans and management.

I think he has shown genuine class as a man and a manager – managers dont have to shout and ball and to scream for respect. Some managers just earn it in a quiet way.

28. Stardust the ego thing is the only thing that worries me. But as you know no one is going to get full support while Big Al is on the horizon so i think it is best get it over and done with asap as if not he is allways going to be there waiting for his chance

29. Stardust, it’s HUGHTON not Houghton.

Hughton, Hughton, Hughton, Hughton, Hughton, Hughton.

Please pay attention!

30. Also, there’s no reason it has to be a straight Shearer v Hughton choice. There are loads of managers out there (although whether or not they’ll come to the Toon is another matter).

31. Big Dave – I’m not convinced of Hughton’s drawing power at all. We need to be able to attract people to NUFC because of the club as a whole, not just rely on one man. If we are doing well, it is a much greater draw than doing mediocre with a legend at the helm.
    As for Shearers ego and attitude. There has been a lot of talk about this. I can only comment on what has been reported and if it’s true then he needs to learn some humility. I said at the time he only stayed on with us so he could overtake Jackie Milburn as the all time top scorer, otherwise I think he would have retired a season or two earlier. Is that ego or just ambition? Probably a bit of both.
    I love Shearer as a player, the best English striker I have ever watched. But I’m not convinced he could do it as a manager. I have a feeling that he wouldn’t listen to anyone and as a new starter he should be listening and taking on what those with more experience than him are saying.

32. Hough – I know but I was waiting for Batty to bite again – need my points levelled up – thanks for ruining my cunning plan – rotter.

33. Micky following on from that – Hoougghhton hasnt done badly in the transfer market.

I will take it as a positive – low key solid players – Wenger signs loads of players no one knows – yet they are a cut above most.

An eye for a player is more important than being able to write cheques for big names.

Im impressed with what he has achieved and in which the manner he has achieved it.

34. Big Dave says:
    October 14, 2009 at 3:06 pm

“Stardust the ego thing is the only thing that worries me.”

Dave, It worried quite a few Liverpool fans when a mere coach with no ‘ego’ was appointed there too. He turned out to be the greatest manager in their history.

35. Micky Toon says:
    October 14, 2009 at 3:17 pm

“I have a feeling that he wouldn’t listen to anyone”

He’d listen to his master tactician, Iain Dowie.

36. Ventura says:
    October 14, 2009 at 2:28 pm
    batty says:
    October 14, 2009 at 1:00 pm
    ********************************************************
    <<<<whats loyal aboot that

37. Stardust says:
    October 14, 2009 at 3:18 pm
    <<< fell for it once not agen sussed it straight away 1 nil to the batty lol

38. Most of the successful managers in the PL have pretty big egos. Not sure the size of a manager’s ego is relevant unless it adversely affects their ability to manage.

39. “Surely the profitable group look stupid now or am I wrong?”

You are wrong. All it cost Profitable Group was a two press releases. One to say they were bidding and going to spend millions, and another to say they pulled out. They didnt have to spend a penny and they got four weeks of global press speculation. When Lambiass said they were rubbish and had no money nobody listened because everyone hates him. But the hated eL Boy was the only one telling the truth. Now Profitable Group use the press on the internet to sell Asians rubbish investment schemes in engine additives and greenbelt land banking plots.

Quite brillant really and cost them nothing to do it.