Tiff for Taffs! Newcastle 5 Cardiff 1.

Posted on February 6th, 2010 | 69 Comments |

On top of his game.title=
On top of his game.
A bit of argy-bargy was about all Cardiff City fans had to take away with them tonight, after they were badly let down by their team. Newcastle 5 Cardiff 1, reads like a thrashing and a thrashing it was.

Right from the outset, we looked the far superior team, in fact we stamped our authority so early, that yours truly missed the first goal and had to make do with the other four to savour. And after three goals in the first fifteen minutes, there was never any way back into this for the Bluebirds.

Chris Hughton made a whole host of changes, which ultimately provided us with more fluency and critically, more pace. Danny Simpson returned at right back with Ryan Taylor dropping to the bench. In came Fitz Hall making a full debut at the back, alongside Williamson. Coloccini was rested, after complaining of problems with a hamstring injury which has threatened since before Christmas. Nolan and Guthrie started in the middle of the park, with neither Smith or Butt anywhere in sight. Gutierrez returned on the left and Leon Best also made his debut, paired upfront with Andy Carroll.

Although I missed the first goal by seconds (Andy Carroll notching a tap in apparently), I didn’t miss the endeavour for the second goal, manufactured by the work-rate of Andy Carroll even though it will be credited as an own goal. Leon Best could and should have made a sensational start to his Toon career but contrived to miss his header with the goal gaping. But we didn’t need to wait much longer to extend the lead, when Danny Simpson delivered beautifully onto the head of Carroll who powered in his header to make it 3-0.

Cardiff flapped for the entire first half and the damage could have been far worse by halftime. Unable to keep the ball, they invited pressure from a Toon side invigorated and uniquely motivated with so many new faces on the pitch. And the new lads blended superbly, looking for all the world like they’d been together all season.

The bite and the passion returned with a vengeance last night, following fears from supporters that the hunger had gone from within the squad. Almost every tackle and loose ball was won by a black and white shirt. But even when Cardiff got on the ball they were wasteful, so the night’s dominance was as much about how poor they were.

The showboating started embarrassingly early with predictable ‘oles’ greeting each measured piece of possession as Cardiff fought in vain to save some pride. And two Peter Lovenkrands goals later on in the game, amidst a memorable atmosphere, the football lesson was complete. Even a consolation goal for the visitors didn’t spoil the evening. And the crack from the Cardiff fans (“easy, easy”, “we want two..”) just added to the occasion.

Much can be made about the performance (and in truth, I’m not even sure we played that well…) but with a team full of new faces, for the first time in a long while we went about our business in a positive way. And as a result, along with a cracking atmosphere, that has to be the most enjoyable game of football I’ve seen for a while up at St James’.

Some good performances out on the park, with Fitz Hall sure to be pleased with a steady debut. Williamson looks like he’s playing all season and the young left back looked much more composed and very capable. Routledge tormented them at times and is like a breath of fresh air with his pace. Leon Best did enough to suggest there may be more to come but without doing much more than keeping possession and some hard work, the sitter he missed will no doubt play on his mind.

Apologies for tardiness but it was so enjoyable, I went out on the hoy afterwards…

Us – Harper 7, Simpson 8, Williamson 8, Hall 7, Van Aanholt 8, Routledge 8, Guthrie 8, Nolan 8, Gutierrez 7, Carroll 9, Best 6.

Subs – Krul, Pancrate, Ameobi, Ranger, Kadar 6, Lovenkrands 9, R Taylor 6

Cardiff – Marshall, Matthews, Gyepes, Gerrard, McNaughton, Blake, Whittingham, McPhail, McCormack, Chopra, Bothroyd.

Subs – Enckelman, Quinn, Taiwo, Feeney, Kennedy, Wildig, Burke.

Att – 44,028 (including 2,650 Cardiff fans who made a canny bit of noise and looked a bit radge).

UPDATE: Match highlights video

NUFCBlog Author: bowburnmag bowburnmag has written 234 articles on this blog.

1. Back to winning ways at last!!
    Didn’t see the match myself but happy with the good result. Maybe now we can push on and get out of this league. (funny what a good result can do, im starting to feel optimistic again after the team being so stale for a while) Slump over?

2. Great result, really chuffed!

Still say Cardiff deserved for being disrespectful and gobbing in the press. Their fans were cocky cnuts aswell. A bit of humility wouldn’t be out of place from them! Despite all their wise words and delusions of grandeur about how they are “gonna teach us a footballing lesson”, they got nowt!

What’s that? 2 games, 2 wins for The Toon? Thought so!

3. From the sounds of things, two players i don’t rate had great games; Carroll and Simpson.

Ahh well, i will gladly accept my servings of humble pie if it sees us win the next 4 or 5 on the trot.

4. Leon Best apparently had a nervous debut and missed a sitter. However, we all know he has the ability and once he scores one or two i am sure he will lose the nerves and settle right in. He apparently worked very hard, which is good to hear.

5. Dragonera – concurring with post 4.

As I’ve said in the update, Best didn’t do anything spectacular but worked hard and perhaps gave them something to think about with his pace, which probably helped Carroll. Should have scored though.

Anyway, I’m off to watch Lost and try to throw off this hangover…

6. I was only able to see the highlights. How was Guthrie in the AM role?

By the way- anyone watchng Liverpool-Everton? Each team may finish the match with 6 players. One red already, probably could have been 3. Absolutely brutal

7. MDS – I was listening to Shaun Wheelock last night and he mentioned the game was on live over there. It’s nice to see football making progress over the pond, hopefully you’ll be able to catch more Toon games next season.

If we do go up at least there will be streams of all the games again. Although i’ve enjoyed going ‘old school’ and catching games on the radio.

8. It was live on SetantaUS I believe which unfortunately I don’t get as I do not have a satellite dish. Since we have been relegated I’ve been watching on video and radio streams.

But to your point we used to get one Prem match a week over here- unless you had a dish. However now on cable, I pay $10 extra a month for a sports package which gets you Fox Soccer Channel and GOLTV. Today, for example, they are showing Everton-Liverpool, Hull-City, and Villa-Tottenham all live, plus a replay of Wigan-Sunderland. Also, two Bundesliga matches, Real-Espanyol, and the Juventus match. Tomorrow we get Arsenol-Chealsea, the Milan match, and more form Germany and Spain. They also show Sky Sports News and the Prem League Review Show. It’s a different world for us now.

9. MtnSailor says:
    February 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm

“i found it , for these who want to see our best match under Chris Hughton”

I felt a little ‘seasick’ after watching that, Mtn!

10. MtnSailor says:
    February 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm

“why ?what do you mean, worky”

With the guy’s wobbly camcorder rolling from side to side all the way through it, Mtn.

11. better than nothing,right?
    I thought he would say something like”it wasn’t our best performance” with Hughton

12. I had to go out just before half and was on tenterhooks all night wondering how we were doing till I got home around 1am and was able to check it out. I was worried they might get one back early in the second half and was delighted (but not surprised) to see we had thrashed them. Pity they got a late goal though.
    I know one game don’t make a season, but on the basis of it and if the same team continued with similar form and results where the same, where are Taylor, Collo and Jose (probably our three best players this season so far) going to fit in or even get a game. What a nice problem for CH especially as we now have good strikers who are getting decent service. I’d be gutted if Routledge was injured.
    Dunno why people are negative about Carroll I’ve been saying for years he will make the grade, strikers of his type need to be given the chances to score. Something lacking for some time. I predict he will get at least 20 this year.

13. i see match highlights over and over gotta say,
    second Carrol’s goal is a Shearer style
    definetely

14. toonsy says:
    February 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm

“worky – How about this one”

Oh yeah. I had two smiles there instead of one smile and an LOL. Can’t seem to get Mr. Mad working ATM though.

15. Big Willie- what’s your team when all are healthy?

STaylor-Williamson-Colo-Enrique
    Routledge-Nolan/Smith-Guthrie-Gutierrez
    Carrol-Loven

16. MDS, yeah I think I’d go for that one, we will almost certainly not keep Aanholt (although possibly till end of this season) and Fitz-Hall is also a loanee although I think we could sign him. Therefore for stability and continuity that is the better team.

17. Thanks Worky, I went there and added it to favourites. I’ll print it off, and slip the odd one in when I can.
    Fnaah Fnaah.

18. Big Willy says:
    February 6, 2010 at 3:28 pm

“Apparently David Jones is moaning because we were able to spend so much on strengthening our squad. Duuhh.”

Well he has the fifth most valuable squad in the Championship. So when he beats a team such as Scunthorpe or Peterborough, does he moan about how unfair it is because his team is worth around four times as much as theirs?

19. realy enjoyed match,and needed to on the way there BIG kick off outside rosey bar,blood all over,looked like a couple of BIG cardiff thugs got what were looking for(had seen them ealier)why oh why do they go looking for this shit,best way to stuff these guys is the way we did on the pitch,sad sad

20. Icedog-A shame like. Have never been able to understand football hooliganism. It’s a shame they’re called football hooligans because at the end of the day half of them are barely football fans. Football is seemingly just the perfect congregation of large groups of lads who’ll be up for a scrap. And after my small rant on my moral high horse-If they were causing grief, hopefully they took a good kicking, only for us to hammer them 5-1 aswell, lol.

21. ROSS yes m8 and i mean akicking (hosp job)i wandered round town a drink here a drink there every where,i went you saw cardiff thugs looking for trouble,thats what made me sad,but as you agree WE done it in the best place on the pitch

22. batty says:
    February 6, 2010 at 4:22 pm

“dog well a divent drink so”

batty, you once told me that you hardly ever had a bet too!

The Cardiff lot do like bit of a fight.

February 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm
    batty says:
    February 6, 2010 at 4:22 pm

“dog well a divent drink so”

batty, you once told me that you hardly ever had a bet too!
    <<<< a divent that much christ let me have some enjoyment will ya

24. just got to worry about the toon really but it would have just made a top week-end had they got beat like

25. batty says:
    February 6, 2010 at 4:44 pm

“worky sept 28th 1997 the last time i touched a drop a couple of moth before me daughter was born”

I hardly ever drink as well now, batty. I’ll go months without having one. The last drink I had was a bottle of Champagne when it was New Year’s eve.

26. icedog says:
    February 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm

“getting better this site,now we can get fairy storeys, from worky and batty”

Icedog, if you mean the drink, it was Doctor’s orders for me.

27. WORKY,sorry m8 didnt mean any offence was only jokeing.worky do you know if you can watch toon training at benton like you could at chester-le-street,got mates coming from malta and would take them.

February 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm
    batty says:
    February 6, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I hardly ever drink as well now, batty. I’ll go months without having one. The last drink I had was a bottle of Champagne when it was New Year’s eve…..

i can stretch to a few hours without a drink & having stung the bookies for £660 today it wont be long before it starts flowing again……happy days :)

…great win last neet & today for the heed.

29. icedog says:
    February 6, 2010 at 5:34 pm

“WORKY,sorry m8 didnt mean any offence was only jokeing.worky do you know if you can watch toon training at benton like you could at chester-le-street,got mates coming from malta and would take them.”

Aye, I know you were joking, icedog! No offence whatsover.

On the other thing, I live in London now so there are probably other more local people who know more than I do. However Darsley Park isn’t an open facility where they let spectators in, unless it’s for a ressies / bairns game or something like that. It’s not a particularly good place for viewing from the outside either.

30. Worky-its a shame that like. I remember going down when i was a bairn and there used to be thousands watching, during KK’s first reign. The likes of Steve Watson were always up for a laugh aswell, they’d all stop for ages to sign stuff and then have a shout and a wave out the window of his car as he left, good times like.

31. ROSS,i m8 those were the days,good PR works wonders,you think present owners would learn something,ive seen up to 3000,at chester-le-street

32. icedog-dont think my old man enjoyed taking me too much like. Loved watching them train but every time i left i’d have a shirt covered in autographs before swiftly announcin that there was no way i could wear that one again incase i ruined it, haha.

33. Having second thoughts about whether it`s MA`s intention to sell once we gain promotion.
    Apparently there`s something in the region of one billion pounds in tv revenue to be shared among EPL clubs (fifty Million per club)during the approaching season, with probably other increase`s in future seasons.
    I have been wondering why Man U. Arsenal, both Villa & Sunderland, plus Liverpool are all either owned or have major investment by US interests.
    Do they foresee a bonanza in future earnings? apparently so, otherwise what are The Glazers doing holding onto a club that is so heavily leveraged, the same with the Liverpool guys ?
    Apparently they are counting on future earnings to increase dramatically.
    I`m sure this has crossed MA`s mind, who is placed in a much better position, having a state of the art stadium in place and what appears to be a sustainable financial plan,
    Having cut costs and spent little on strengthening the side, plus heading for the PL and it`s promise of enormous financial rewards.
    Whada ya think ?

34. CHUCK,I dont think anyone knows more so ashley he changes his mind more than anyone,and his PR at the club stinks but what can you do?

35. I have a confession to make:

36. Stuart79 says:
    February 7, 2010 at 1:55 am

“I have a confession to make:

I have been to see Never Forget at the Journal Theatre. It was pretty dam good actually.”

Stuart, you’re a gadgie who likes Take That musicals, and you’re getting a white Audi TT apparently. We know what you’re trying to say, and it’s ok. We’re a very broad church here and we understand. ;-)

37. chuck says:
    February 7, 2010 at 12:30 am

“Was wondering about the recent signing of the youngster from the Faroe Islands, is this the resumption of the policy of stocking the youth squads with promising talent, if so, certainly not the act of an owner desperate to sell.
    Whada ya think ?”

He’s just installed Graham Carr as new chief scout too.