Toon lock horns with Cloughie’s Rams.

Posted on February 9th, 2010 | 90 Comments |

Locking horns with The Rams.
Locking horns with The Rams.
After the great performance from the lads against Cardiff City on friday, the Toon are off to the East Midlands this evening, visiting Pride Park to take on Nigel Clough’s Derby County. With the Rams attracting the second highest average attendances in the Championship it should be a good sized crowd and a decent atmosphere.

I think we’re all hoping for a repeat of the performance against the Taffs last week, with us coming out to play good attacking football with virtually the same team that played last Friday. However our away form has not been brilliant to say the least. The positives are we have only lost one of the last six, but too many draws have seen us losing out on points which were very achievable. I’m hoping that the positive noises from Chris Hughton wanting to see more of the same type of perfomance we turned in against Cardiff means he may field an unchanged side, although with Smudge now recovered from his injury he may be tempted to slot him back in the team. Certainly, with two good attacking wingers in Gutierrez and Routledge, we should look more balanced and be able to switch the play a bit down both wings rather than the over reliance down the left we have seen most of the season.

The new additions to the team have done well. Like many of you probably, I was worried about the effect on the defence of three missing first team regulars, but the new lads have coped admirably so far and the new back four of Simpson, Hall, Williamson and van Aanholt have been solid.

So what about our hosts?

Derby County find themselves struggling down in 18th position in the league having picked up 33 points from their 29 matches. They have managed to pick up just two wins from their last six home games while losing three, and are not scoring enough having netted only 30 goals in 29 games, letting in 41 at the other end. This leaves them just above the drop zone, and Nigel Clough has come under a lot of pressure from Derby fans who have seen their team lose half of all games played this season. However the recent victory in their last home game over local rivals Notts Forest, and a decent draw against Sheffield United last weekend, when Robbie ‘Lily’ Savage scored a pretty rare goal, should lift the mood of the natives somewhat.

Team news.

Derby are without Dean Lealock (knee) and Lee Hendrie (hamstring), however they could welcome Milwall’s onloan winger David Martin to make his debut should his emergency loan signing be completed in time. New signing Javan Vidal will also be pushing for his debut. Midfielder Lee Croft could play some part after returning to training this week. Midfielder Michael Tonge made his debut at Bramall Lane on loan from Stoke City last weekend.

On the Toon side, Chris Hughton himself had this to say:

“Alan Smith is hoping to be back and Fabricio is doubtful with a slight hamstring. Colo could have played on Friday but we decided as a precautionary measure to leave him out.”

Add to this the longer injuries of Steven Taylor (knee) and Jose Enrique (hamstring).

Victory over Cardiff at St James’ Park extended our unbeaten league run to a club record 15 games, which we will look to extend further tonight. Talking to the Evening Chronicle yesterday Chris Hughton commented on the team, and the upcoming game:

“The team is not picking itself like it was early in the season.

“We want competition for places and when anybody comes in we demand certain qualities from them.

“They have to show the determination and spirit like we did on Friday night against Cardiff.

“I don’t mind having difficult decisions to make, that has to be a good thing.”

Moving on to Derby he said:

“They will be lifted by the result they got in their last game at Pride Park against Forest and they will have the belief they can pull off another big result.

“I’m expecting it to be tough, there will be a full house at Derby and they won’t be making it easy.

“We’ve got to harden ourselves to that though because this is what it will be like in the run-in from here on in.

“They will all be difficult because now we are not only looking for the victories to keep us where we want to be, but the factor that every team wants to beat us this season is also still very much against us.

“It would be great to go there and win. What we have to show is the same willingness that we have all season to go out and chalk up wins.”

Hughton concluded on our two main challengers:

“I don’t expect Forest and West Brom to lose many games, and if they aren’t losing that means we have to keep on winning enough matches.”

Possible Newcastle team: Harper, Simpson, Williamson, Hall, van Aanholt, Routledge, Smith, Guthrie/Nolan, Guttierez, Carroll, Lovenkrands,

With the top three teams winning at the weekend, United are currently three points ahead of West Brom and four ahead of Nottingham Forest, with a game in hand on both. This is a game we should win and hopefully, with a positive attacking performance, I’m going for a 2-0 win to the Toon and hope to watch a great performance.

Howay the Lads.

NUFCBlog Author: geordie deb geordie deb has written 38 articles on this blog.

1. I do hope Chris Hughton drops Nolan and give him a rest. Partner Smith with Guthrie in the middle. :lol:

2. Why change a winning team ? the lads put in the best performance of the season against Cardiff . Same again please CH .
    HOWAY THE LADS another big win .

3. Axel, you have to change the team because every game is different and if you are predictable other coaches quickly figure out how to beat you. My guess is this game we will start muscular across the middle and finish with the ‘Cardiff 11’ or something close. 2-0 would be good.

4. I agree with Angel of Death. Nolan needs to be given a rest and Smudge will gladly fill his spot. With the wingers, Nolan’s not as needed now to try and punch the ball forward. Even if it’s just minimal rotation, it’s needed.

5. Its energy we need in the middle of the park not muscle, home or away should make no difference to how we play.
    The best way to stop a team playing is to attack them and dominate, this in turn quietens the home crowd, Ipswich away for example.
    We are awful when we play the “muscle” players, too static and overly aggressive, just a matter of time before there is a red card and then what?
    If we swap Smith for Nolan, fair enough but thats the only change to make barring injury and as the choirboy said to the priest, no more butt!, its too painful.

6. Hughton will bring Smith in for Best and go back to playing Smith (3rd centre back) in midfield and Nolan up front.

Shame if he does that – Derby don’t score many goals and aren’t particularly good. We should go for the throat!

7. Len that is bollocks look at birmingham 12 games with the same line up on the bounce.
    Hopway the Lads!

8. i agree sirjase we should go with our best team and if that is the same as last last fridays game then thats fine. we have enough fire power to let other teams worry about us and not the other way round.

9. I agree with Angel. CH would be right to make a small adjustment in the starting line-up to account for the initial surge you always face in a well-supported away match. Gien that Nolan has looked tired and Guthrie’s similar role I f
    think Smudge in the middle makes sense.

10. And to kickstart everyone’s day with good news…. headline in the Grauniad today ….

‘Hollywood scatters Stardust on Olivier awards as plays upstage musicals in nominations’

He gets everywhere – just what have the poor sods done to deserve that!

11. Hoping for a win to end the bad run against this team, not holding out much hope if we play the same team as against Leicester. Surely we have to start Lovenkrands & Carroll, they are easily the best partnership we have. Come on Hughton, give it both barrels tonight!

12. Harper,
    Simpson, Williamson, Hall, van Aanholt,
    Routledge, Smith, Guthrie, Guttierez,
    Lovenkrands, Carroll

Give Nolan a rest, Smudge as Captain. Part of me want’s to see Best on the pitch at the start but Lover Mans performance (albeit against and already defeated Cardiff) says to me he gets the call. Best can come on for his debut goal later on.

1-3 tonight :-)

13. yeah Derby are a struggling side and we need to smash them in the first half. same side as cardiff but bring in McLovin as 6 in 5 demands a start.

14. Waldo P. Barnstormer says:
    February 9, 2010 at 11:38 am

“yeah Derby are a struggling side”

They’ve been rallying a bit recently though, Waldo, with a victory against Nottingham Forest and a draw with Sheffield United. With Derby having the home advantage as well, it may not be so easy.

15. Worky & Batty I agree that there recent results would have bouyed them somewhat, that is why I feel we need to hit them hard and fast and attempt to knock the wind out of there sails as soon as paractically possible.

16. Penalty-Spot, Brighton’s got such a lot going for it and you shouldn’t rubbish it.

Brighton’s got…….. em…..mmmmm…..errrrrrr, mmmm…… ah well, back to football eh guys?

It looks as though we’re gonna revert to 4-5-1 tonight!

I wonder if CH’s noticed that when WBA and Cardiff go away, they generally go for if not score a hat-full.

Appreciate that WBA’s breathing down on us but….

17. Is there any chance of Barton being on the bench tonight.
    If back fit it would give us multi options in the attcking six. I am not a fan of rotation more if you have the shirt and played well you should keep it but we do have seven games in twent eight days. Smith before Nolan for me but think CH will rest one of the front two for Smith.
    Lua Lua getting experience at Brighton will be good all round. My feeling is Kadar, Donaldson, Lua Lua and others have not been given the number of games to see if they are going to make it for Newcastle.
    Kadar I thought got a raw deal on Friday being dropped but Hall was decent so decision vindicated by CH just felt sorry for the lad as I think he is potential star.

18. With routlage we now have a balanced side with more attacking threats so I expertly deduce a 0-4 with smudger bagging his first goal for the toon:)

19. lesh one thing whatever ch plays tonight he will change it again at swansea,hope he keeps same side,ch says dif team dif game,that worrys me birmingham had same team for 15 games (unbeaten) and others have done it as well,where do we go?

20. Good point icedog…. I wonder if CH’s still novelty struck and playing at being a manager?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it like McLeish seems to be doing at Brum.

21. jay jay @27 – I like your prediction, and wouldn’t bet against it.

Don’t read too much into that Chronical story; just speculation about the 4-5-1 and they know no more than us. I’m hoping to just see Smith in for Nolan but otherwise unchanged.

Talking of predictions: Stuart79, if you’re reading – so happy to say that you were right and I was dead wrong about the Cardiff tactics!

22. I think I’ve just sussed what I’m so optimistic about right now:

Before January, I thought that we would only keep winning until we were sussed. It happened, and we got draws instead.

Now, I don’t think it matters who susses what – nobody can live with us any more and I’m honestly expecting the odd comprehensive demolition job like against Cardiff.

If only we had a fixture against the mackems right now. I think we’d roll them over with some style.

HWTL!!!!

23. lesh says:
    February 9, 2010 at 1:41 pm

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

Exactly Lesh. If Chris Hughton is top of the Championship, he shouldn’t be constantly ripped apart by fans who have no idea whatsoever of what it takes to manage a club.

24. I can’t see any links for the game in any format, although I’m sure someone on the blog will come up with something.
    Lua Lua to brighton on loan is a good move as he aint getting first team games with us. I don’t know which way he swings but in answer to Lesh and penalty spot its probably the gayest place in England (not my scene I hasten to add but I had a gay friend who loved it.) They also have a great old fashioned shopping centre that my Missus loves, which is one reason, as far as I’m concerned, for not going there.

The team penalty spot said pretty well picks itself and is the obvious one imo. I couldn’t care less if opposing managers know in advance, they still have to cope with us and it might daunt them enough to give us a psychological edge.

25. SlushPuppy.

Yesterday you alluded to the fact that you felt bullied by me for holding an opinion different to my own on various matters.

Do you not think its hypocritical of you to then have a go at me for presenting an alternative case to yours – with nasty little lies accusing me of being a bully when all I do is present the case for my argument and point out yours often holds less water than a sieve?

I appreciate the way I do it makes you feel like you are frustrated and can not argue back – but is it because my argument holds no weakness or because you feel rather insecure in general?

Finally – why do you come onto a blog if not to debate? Here’s a stick boy – now go fetch lol.

26. another tough game this one,derby are a difficult side to play against.not to mention our bogey team of late,depends whether hughton wants to be expansive or not,if the latter both sides could cancel each other out to a boring 0-0.
    if we dont get all three points,it wouldn,t be a disaster as i would take one point if offered it now.
    i reckon the swansea game will suit us more,as they commit men forward,so i can see three points in that one.

27. TROJAN – Aye, it’s not going to be as easy as it potentially sounds, especially if the players have a bought of over-confidence – somethign I am highly critical of!

Stardust – Put your fishing rod away!

Big Willy – There will be radio streams knocking about closer to the match mate.

28. Not sure is it my weird feeling or what,i don’t think both our in-form strikers can click together. if i remember clearly,there was once carroll and Løvenkrands paried up,but didn’t work quite well,last match was okay.

Right Now we have 6 strikers.(Included Xisco).

So if we traditionally play 2 strikers.

This is my opinion.

Leon Best,Shola
    Xisco,Carroll
    Loverkrand,nile ranger.

29. Stardust says:
    February 9, 2010 at 2:56 pm
    SlushPuppy.

<<< have u got no respect for your elders the bloke is 67 you bully

30. Oops – sorry Toonsy / Batty / SlushPuppy (kinda like the name had to leave that if you dont mind too much) – rod put firmly away back in the case lol.

Cant believe I made a pensioner swear at me yesterday – lol.

31. Good that LuaLua will get some games – I live doon there so might pop and see him on Sat and cheer him on – lua lua lua :-)

32. Stardy – I got run over by a pensioner once, he was driving one of them mobility scooters!

Did I get an apology for him running straight over my foot? Did I balls! And they say it’s the youth that are rude and obnoxious!

33. Toonsy “If we can’t get one for any reason, I may sign up for NUFC TV and stream it all for you, if I can work out how to do it!”

Why dont you just travel down to the match dial in from your mobile via a conference call – and all of us who arent there can get a commentary – “Toonsy Motson” has a ring dont you think?

34. stevep – I’m a bit disappointed with Lua Lua to be honest, I was really exoecting him to push on this season, yet in each apearance he has been disappointing.

Still, he is young, but he needs to start making shakes towards the first team soon or else he is never going to make it.

35. Stardust – Sounds good, and no doubt I could commentate quite well ;)

Work calls tonight mate. Given the recent, well documented issues with a certain Japanese car firm that I may work for ;), it means I have been flat out since last week :(

I’m about ready to drop now :(

36. thanks toonsy who signed him i cant imagine C H DONE THE SCOUTING I MEAN HE COMES FROM A PRETTY OBSCURE CLUB

37. BATTY@39 thanks mate but i never debate with starshit,i reduced him to “baby talk” yestaday ie s/puppy hush/puppy boho,he will start with MY da is bigger than your da,next,so how can you be bullied,by a sicko who is easy beat

38. summerof69 says:
    February 9, 2010 at 3:51 pm

“thanks toonsy who signed him i cant imagine C H DONE THE SCOUTING I MEAN HE COMES FROM A PRETTY OBSCURE CLUB”

summerof69 says:
    February 9, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Welcome back Summer! WTF have you been?!!!

As for your message, he’s played a few internationals, and it was Colin Calderwood who went up to check him out.

Hughton was Brian Kerr’s assistant manager when he was in charge of the Ireland team too, and Kerr is now the manager of the Faroe Islands, so perhaps he let him know?

39. toonsy says:
    February 9, 2010 at 3:41 pm

“Work calls tonight mate. Given the recent, well documented issues with a certain Japanese car firm that I may work for , it means I have been flat out since last week”

Got your foot right down on the accelerator pedal ATM, Toonsy? :-)

40. Written by a QPR Fan Quite Amusing
    I take more pleasure in seeing Chelsea lose than I do in seeing QPR win at the moment.

I sat through so many matches when we were absolute dogs**t under the likes of Ray Harford and with people like Paul Bruce, Matthew Brazier and Mark Perry in the squad and I never felt like this.

The club isn’t ours anymore but more so than that – football is just properly gash these days.

I mean really gash.

football generally.

I hate nearly everything about it these days….

I hate the Prem and the myth that it is exciting this year. Man City breaking into the top four isn’t exciting. They spent loads of money. It’s no more exciting that Nameless C*** getting to number 1 in the charts after winning the X-Factor.

I hate the myth of Arsene’s kids. Buying some French kid when he’s 17, playing him in the League Cup and then selling him when he’s 20 after about 3 appearances in the league is NOTHING SPECIAL.

I hate hearing about Liverpool/Man Utd’s debt but nothing ever happening about it. A club needs to go to the wall for the money thing to change but it doesn’t happen. Why the **** are Charlton, Leeds and Southampton still in business?

I hate Frank Lampard’s stupid f’ing face. I hate that Joe Cole’s tongue is never in his mouth, the downsy spacker. I hate John Terry being England captain when he’s CLEARLY AN OAF.

I hate the England team.

I hate young exciting wingers who have nothing but pace. Tony Scully had nothing but pace.

I hate the FA Cup. There may be little shocks like last night but for the most part you know who’s going to win it. Unless a team throws away all their financial security to win it a la Pompey.

I hate Harry f’ing Redknapp. And Jamie Redknapp. And Louise Redknapp. And the Wii.

I hate James Nesbitt, Eammon Holmes and f***ing everyone.

I hate Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer.

I hate Garth Crooks.

I hate Garth Brooks for that matter.

I hate Sky Sports.

I hate that when a lower league player beats 10 players and chips the keeper it doesn’t matter but if Rooney scores from more than 20 yards it’s amazing.

I hate that everything football related has to have ‘Club Foot’ playing behind it.

I hate that female sports journos are now mandatory.

I hate Mark Lawrensen for not coming out. ‘I do like a big man at the back’. I bet you do.

I hate any advert that portrays football to be about anything other than pain and disappointment.

I hate any advert that mentions pies at football.

I hate Lee Hughes and the fact that he makes a living from the game. I hate Marlon King and any team that signs him when he gets out. I hate that it’ll probably be us.

I hate Phil Brown.

I hate ‘well the ball is a lot lighter now and will cause goalkeepers real problems this summer’ before EVERY F’ING TOURNAMENT.

I hate that Kieron Dyer earned more in the time I took to write this post than I’ll earn this month.

I hate Adrian Durham, Ian Wright and Alan Brazil.

I hate Gazza. Either die or shut up. Stop f’ing lingering.

I hate hearing about Hillsborough more than I hear about Heysel or Bradford.

I hate that a comeback from 4-0 down at half time (TWICE) means nothing because we aren’t f’ing scouse.

I hate Leeds.

I hate Roy Keane.

I hate grown men wearing football shirts of their team whilst shopping on a saturday when their team is playing at home.

I hate that I don’t hate Roy Hodgson.

I hate Jermaine Beckford and any player who has neck tattoos.

I hate songs being inappropriately taken as club anthems and then sung in a manly way. ‘I’m forever blowing bubbles….’. Gaylords.

I hate Danny Dyer and anyone he’s ever interviewed.

41. For the American fans who were asking who Victor Meldrew was, then the QPR Fan who JST is quoting is the epitome of him.
    And I agree with 99% of what he is saying. According to my Missus I could be the prototype for Dear old Victor.

Loved the Father Ted episode that he was in.

42. Yeah good post though…full of Venom !
    Not a big Fan of Lousie Redknapp…just don’t think she will deliver the filth that SJT Craves and Desires :)

43. sirjasontoon says:
    February 9, 2010 at 5:05 pm

“Good luck to the lads tonight..is this match online or ustream commentary only fellas?”

I think it’s just the radio, SJT.

44. Whumpie says:
    February 9, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Totally agree!

I predict a boring game tonight were we revert back to type playing boring football in a 4-5-1 formation.

Hope we scrape a win.

45. SlushPuppy

You might be old – but you havent used a single one of your years to get any class.

Shame really.

46. SJT – Commentary only. We’ll only ever get a video stream if it’s on TV live, and if it is I’ll watch it that way anyway :D

47. summerof69 says:
    February 9, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Welcome back Summer! WTF have you been?!!!

Worky unfortunately my mam and dad split up and my dad got the computer so have had to save up for a new one good also on the new signing i guess its good to know hughton has some contacts in the game something i wasnt sure of with this being his first job in management also what has happent with some of the other academy kids is vuckic baack yet and is barton fit ?

48. beye sorry too hear aboot ya mam and dad m8 and barton starting training this week so another 3 or 4 week a reckon

49. batty

thanks but i am surprisingly not too bothered about the split infact i was missing the computer more than my dad lol and its good to see barton will be back (not that we need him)has any 1 got any info on vuckic

50. 1) Mike Ashley

Newcastle (2007 – present)

It had to be Mike Ashley here. No owner experiences as much hatred from fans as the Newcastle owner. Hated for being a Cockney; driving Kevin Keegan out as manager; installing Dennis Wise as Director of Football and getting the club relegated after 16 years in the top flight, Ashley still goes to games despite being despised by every Newcastle fan. Ashley failed to sell the club following relegation and had the audacity to rename the stadium “Sports direct@ St James Park. It’s hard to believe that Ashley was reasonably popular at the start of his reign at Newcastle.

The Next few hated owners: The Glazers (Manchester United), Kjell Inge Rokke and Bjorn Rune Gjelsten (Wimbledon’s Norwegian owners who moved the side to Milton Keynes), Doug Ellis (Aston Villa’s owner from 1968-75 and 1982-2006).

51. Summer – crackin’ attitude, mate.

SJT: That QPR post made me miss my train, but it was worth it. Absolute crack-up; I love a good rant.

52. Let’s not forget that it was Ashley who was here when we sold Dyer… for £7million?! Haha I love it.

53. batty just seen that myself i am quite surprised ashley is no.l i thought the pompey owners would be they really have fecked tghat club up

Summer – crackin’ attitude, mate.

thanks whumpie

andy nufc

agreed great piece of business its a mystery as to why he is so injury prone

54. Batty – good summary of the bad bits. What I can’t quite decide is whether looking for a decent, honest football club owner is like looking for a straight bloke in Lua Lua’s new local.

55. evening Lads looking forward to the game tonite I hope we put out near enough the same team as last Friday, and attack from the start dont give them time to settle. But I have a feeling we will be back to lump and hump football :)

56. Big Dave,
    Totally agree with you mate, I would love us to start with the same team that trounced Cardif, but can’t see it happening.

It goes without saying that we need 3 points tonight.

We must not show Derby to much respect.

57. TGS thats the problem I have with the way we play 1pt isnt what we need its 3 pts so I cant understand us going for a draw with the hope of maybe nicking a Goal. FFS we are the best team in this league and should be hammering some of the teams we have been playing and still to play ;)