It’s party time! Newcastle United v Ipswich Town – match preview.

Posted on April 23rd, 2010 | 126 Comments |

St James' will be rocking against Ipswich.
St James' will be rocking against Ipswich.
The final home game of the season looks set to be the stage for the biggest party seen on Tyneside for many years as Newcastle United take on Roy Keane’s Ipswich Town outfit. Of course, there isn’t just the match to be considered tomorrow as we also get the chance to see our players lift the Championship trophy on home turf in front of what will be a fifty-thousand plus crowd.

Should we remain unbeaten tomorrow, then we will have set another three records, one for becoming the first team to gain promotion to the Premier League with an unbeaten home record, another one will see us grabbing the record of the biggest Championship attendance in history, a record we already hold but look set to improve upon, and the final one will see us become the first Championship team to have 1 million fans pass through our turnstiles in a season. Add that to the records we have already set this season, such as being the team to secure promotion in the least amount of games, and the list looks really quite impressive, and indicative of the fact that maybe, just maybe, we do belong in the Premier League, even if the result’s of last season suggested otherwise.

Newcastle manager, Chris Hughton, faces a selection headache ahead of the match as injuries, sentiment, and player form make picking a team far from easy. On one hand he will surely want to put out his strongest team, which with injuries could be hard to achieve. Then we have Nicky Butt who is club captain and could possibly be playing in his last game at St James’ Park before retiring. Surely Chris will want to give Nicky the chance of a final farewell in front of the home fans? Also, young players such as Haris Vuckic, who impressed for the reserves during midweek, will be desperate to make an appearance in a game that in the grand scheme of things is not that important.

Steven Taylor is finally back in training although it is unlikely that he will feature in a playing capacity. Fitz Hall has been ruled out after aggravating a hamstring injury in the match against Plymouth whilst Argentine duo Fabricio Coloccini (hamstring) and Jonas Gutierrez (thigh) will undergo late fitness tests, although it is anticipated that both could feature. I expect the starting XI will be:

Newcastle United: Harper, Simpson, Kadar, Coloccini, Enrique, Routledge, Nolan, Guthrie, Gutierrez, Carroll, Lovenkrands.

I would also like to see players like Butt and Vuckic given some game time, and possibly even Steven Taylor if fitness allows. In short I would like all the players to feature at some point but unfortunately it just isn’t possible.

Moving on to Ipswich, David Healy and Carlos Edwards both miss out through a knee problem and chicken pox respectively. The Tractor Boys are the divisions draw specialist and have drawn 19 of their 44 league games so far this season. Their last match was, unsurprisingly, a 1-1 draw at Portman Road against Doncaster. They lined up for that game with a team of:

Ipswich: Murphy, Wright, McAuley, Smith, Leadbitter, Norris, Colback, O’Connor, Walters, Murphy, Wickham.

Newcastle have been in great form of late and have not lost in 15 games, winning the last eight on the spin. In contrast, Ipswich have struggled of late and have only won two of their last six matches. Roy Keane will have his men fired up and will hope to play the role of party pooper, a role that he will relish after the abuse that, rightly, gets levelled at him by the fans. I can’t see our boys letting us down though and Ipswich have nothing to play for.

My prediction: 2-0

Howay the lads!

Date: Saturday, 24th April, 2010.

Time: 3:00pm.

Venue: St James’ Park.

Referee: Carl Boyeson.

NUFCBlog Author: toonsy toonsy has written 643 articles on this blog.

• No Related Posts

1. Stuart79 says:
    April 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm

“Good to see KK back with a smile on his face.”

He always does when he’s getting a paycheque, Stuart.

2. I’d like us to field a team of kids and slaughter Ipswich just to piss off keane the over opinionated prick. I want to see him moan, groan and hopefully cry the knob head.

3. jay jay – Keane has his uses. Sky are always all over him, whipping themselves into an orgasmic frenzy and foaming at the gash as they await his next sound byte.

4. That’s what pisses me off, they drool over him, despite the fact he is shite at his job the twat. I hated him as a player but could admit that he was good, but he is a shite manager. No doubts about it toonsy mate.

5. jay jay – It gives Sky more reason to divert attention from us onto Ipswich though. That suits me :)

April 23, 2010 at 8:13 pm

You’ll probably find 90% of the population are the same – Otherwise why would anyone work.

toonsy says:
    April 23, 2010 at 8:10 pm
    Also, cheers for reflecting on the article Stu

I very rarely read the articles if the truth be told – Just like reading the rose tinted comments. (If I did smiley faces I would put one here now.)

7. jay jay says:
    April 23, 2010 at 8:17 pm

When you’re as good as he’s been you have earned the right to be opinionated – He’s a complete nutter but he was one hell of a player.

8. Stu – Just really confirms that you dont really add much to the blog, and that your contributions are solely limited to nit-picking with people.

Still, such is life (If I could find a smiley that gave a one finger salute I would add it here)

9. Stu – I know, I like to make it easy for you. If it helps you feel better about yourself then I call it success ;)

Off topic, nice to see Cameron getting hammered by Paxman.

Catch you all tomorrow

10. ‘Good to see KK back with a smile on his face’
    ‘I’d smile more if I was paid to’

Me dad reckons he watched the toon in 1984 and beardo and Waddle were absolutetly running rings round Keegan. He only came back coz the well had dried up and his ‘soccer circus’ went t### up. Greedy get.

11. Its nice to see how short peoples memories are of what KK done for our club, As for only coming back coz the well had dried up. I thought he came back because MA asked him to come back but maybe im wrong

12. Icedog was due to have his op today, hope everything went well and he’s back soon.

13. justice for the gateshead one!!!!!!.
    worky,howay unban him man,you cannot think he doesn,t cut the dustard.
    right am away to to dust off me white sheet,as i have a few crosses to burn.

14. DJG says:
    April 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm
    ‘Good to see KK back with a smile on his face’
    ‘I’d smile more if I was paid to’

Me dad reckons he watched the toon in 1984 and beardo and Waddle were absolutetly running rings round Keegan. He only came back coz the well had dried up and his ’soccer circus’ went t### up. Greedy get.
    ________________________________________________

I can only assume your dad is a mackem.

Only a mackem would come out with crap like that, mate.

15. there are girl,s hockey teams lining up outside,with banners reading”WE LOVE THE DUST”.
    everyone gather to worship at the red bus.

16. Big Dave says:
    April 23, 2010 at 9:33 pm

“Its nice to see how short peoples memories are of what KK done for our club, As for only coming back coz the well had dried up. I thought he came back because MA asked him to come back but maybe im wrong”

Mike Ashley was told by an intermediary that Keegan was available for the right price, Dave.

17. SEEK AND DUSTROY.
    PASS THE DUSTY PON THE LEFT HAND SIDE.
    DUST YOU FORGET ABOUT ME.
    DUST BE TALKING TO AN ANGEL.
    LIP UP DUSTY.
    DUST CAN,T BE MYSELF.
    DUST A FEELING.
    WE DUST ALOT.
    NO SLEEP TIL DUSTLYN.
    WHEN DUST,S CRY.
    BOHEMIAN RHAPSDUSTY.
    FALLING DOWN A MOUNTAIN KISS THE DUST.
    DUSTING IN THE NAME OF.

18. TonyGreenSupreme says:
    April 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

“Worky,
    Whoops, to much vino, are you going tomorrow?”

That’s a bit of a sore point, Tony. I’m in London and right up to my neck in it ATM. I set my heart on the QPR game all season though, and I’ll be gannin’ to that.

19. TROJAN 69 It was a sad day to see Stardust getting banned as it was me he was having a laugh and banter with. There was no foul or real abusive language used and tbh I have seen others coming out with alot more sh1t.

20. Where you get that from Worky?

21. Big Dave, with all due respect, you know nothing about it, and are just trying to have another pop at me. You didn’t even realise that he called you stupid twice?

22. Big Dave says:
    April 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I’d love to agree with the first part of that sentance – But I cannot!

23. Worky,
    The QPR match will have a cracking atmosphere, my brother in law lives in Parsons Green (Fulham) so I was tempted to go if promotion had hinged upon the game.

Off topic, who is Trojan69 on about?

24. TonyGreenSupreme says:
    April 23, 2010 at 10:04 pm

“Off topic, who is Trojan69 on about?”

Stardust was the third person to be banned from here, Tony.

April 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Like saying ‘No offence, but…’

One of lifes funny little quirks.

26. Stuart79 says:
    April 23, 2010 at 10:06 pm

“When someone starts a conversation with ‘with all due respect’ it’s the absolute opposite!”

Still got the other little stirrer here! :-)

April 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I have better things to do than have a cheap pop at you, If that was not why he was banned then I do apoligize. as for “You didn’t even realise that he called you stupid twice? :lol: Do you think im that stupid that I didnt read what he wrote when he called Deb and myself Simpletons and such like, I took that as banter and I dont for one minute believe that he was trying to put me down.
    Stu I know you and him had your run-ins and I even had a Big run-in with him myself once on Uncle Eds, but I got over it and got to see a decent side of him that I liked

28. My player ratings for the season:

Jonas 8
    Ameobi 6
    Ranger 6
    Carroll 8
    Harewood 6
    Loverman 8

Tried to base this on 10 games or more.

29. Big Dave says:
    April 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I don’t like him, Dave.

He’s a horrible little man – He suffers from the classic ‘Little man syndrome.’

He has absolutely no humility and for that he cannot be taken serious in any debate or indeed in life.

A man who sits on a laptop and creates fictional characters and alter-egos to go on a blog while on that same blog preaches maturity and righteousness really cannot be taken seriosuly at all.

That said, I always enjoyed my little disagreements with him.

Still a complete bell piece though.

April 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I aim to please.

Although I wasn’t directing any sort of insult at you per say it was just one of the little things in life that are comically ironic.

31. Stuart79 says:
    April 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm
    Big Dave says:
    April 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I don’t like him, Dave.

He’s a horrible little man – He suffers from the classic ‘Little man syndrome.’

<<<<< its called havin a laugh but ya know f@ck all aboot that di ya ya dirty manc

32. Stuart in your case I understand how you feel, as I have witnessed a few of your run ins with him and they could get pretty heated, but I did think they were quite funny at times :) and did livin the blog up at times.

33. batty says:
    April 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm
    stu a can can tell ya were born in manc land your 1 mouthy miserible get

Is that not a dance, batty?

34. alway bullshittin people on what u are doing and what you got ur a joke i havent done a days proper work since i was 25 but i could buy ur house car and every thing u own cash your small change

35. I don’t know why you bother being 6 ft 5 batty – it just makes it difficult to fit into sports cars and whatnot.

36. Fine thanks batty. I was ill a while back but all I’ve got now is a knackered knee to get sorted.

Hope you’re okay too.

37. spew what have u got right this season absolutley nothing and u tryed too slag me the other week who has got the season spot on from the start ur not happy unless were losing then ya can say a told ya so

38. Hugh de Payen says:
    April 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm
    <<<< hope ur illness wasent that serious hugh

39. batty says:
    April 23, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I admitted I was wrong, batty. More than most would do on this blog.

Although I did only say that we wouldn’t get promoted with the squad we had at the start of the season – With the injuries we had I think I would have been vindicated. But we bought players so it wasn’t an issue.

40. UTD111 says:
    April 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm
    ” beardo and Waddle were absolutetly running rings round Keegan”

‘I can only assume your dad is a mackem.

Only a mackem would come out with crap like that, mate.’

Correct me if im wrong but didnt Keegan come to the toon at the end of his career from Liverpool, think Owen but Older. So how is that crap Utd111. Its fact. were you around then?

41. DJG – do you fancy a pint before the game ? bring your daddy with you and we’ll have a reet good chin-wag then we can give keegan a good slagging off.

….you w@nk rag.

42. We believe if you enjoy giving King Kev and Big Al unjustified stick then this could be the the site for you.

43. well it looks like i put a cat amongst the pigeons with the stardust debate.
    it will be a good atmosphere at loftus rd,little shoe box of a stadium.
    i seem to recall,it hasn,t been a happy hunting ground in the past.
    danny maddix used to always score against us,plus my mate is a qpr fan,so we,ll have to beat them.

44. stuart,how can you say he was a horrible little man,he was the inspiration for the cartoon”inch high private eye”.

45. dusty springfield.
    dusty hare.
    dustin gee.
    dusty rhodes.
    dusty hill.
    dusty donovan.
    dusty baker.

46. ”We believe if you enjoy giving King Kev and Big Al unjustified stick”

Who mentioned Alan Shearer at any point. Roy big gob, strawberry at 2pm?

47. komfort

I cant believe the way you suck keegans arse. The guy walked out on us twice ffs. Alreet il be the first to admit he had every right to the second time. but howay he aint that great.Some people need to stop worshiping kk like he’s some sort of god. its f##### lame.

48. Keegan has made every team he managed the most interesting to watch. He got us promoted – he got Fulham promoted, he did a great job at Man City and the England job was one he wanted for emotion but unless your heartless like Capello, it makes anyone break.

If Keegan had just one Premiership title under his belt, he would be talked about as the most successful English manager of recent times but for some reason, he gets mocked constantly by fools who cry “he walked out”.

Ashley screwed him over and I’d put money the boss in charge during his first run screwed him over too, since this club has a fetish for insane owners.

If it wasn’t for Kevin Keegan, this club wouldn’t have been promoted into the Premiership in the first place, wouldn’t have became the modern day big club it is now, wouldn’t have signed Alan Shearer and would likely be playing the likes of Burton Albion and Bobby Robson would never have lowered himself to manage like he did.

If you think Keegan leaving twice, both for justifiable reasons, is now erased then you are not a real fan of this club. Keegan SAVED this club from complete obscurity.

Quite frankly, the only way Keegan should ever be mocked or dismissed by this club is if he came out in a Sunderland top. Otherwise, I think he is in untouchable mode with Bobby Robson. Both those guys just define what this club is about.

49. Anyway…..

Looking forward to the match today. Had a ticket if I wanted but couldn’t guarantee I could make it up so had to bail, gutted. My mate will be sitting on an uncomfortable Megabus for hours now on his way up.

Hi Mark, hope you didnt get the seat next to the fatty ;)

50. komfort says:
    April 24, 2010 at 12:11 am
    gotta agree with cropper…..djg is a complete w@nker rag.
    <<<< aye got too agree with komfort and cropper

51. I liked Keanes statement about being asked about an opentop bus ride around Sunderland when they won promotion he said “Inearly threw up” who wouldn’t if they had to ride on an open top bus through Sunderland

52. djg – yes i’ll meet you at the strawberry at 2pm & so you’ll recognise me i’ll be outside wearing a woolen cardigan & holding a shopping bag with my front door key attached to it with a piece of string.

keeping well batty boy i hope :)

53. Roy Keene is a 1st class prick…can’t stand the arrogant tosser.
    Hope him and Ipswich get a right mauling HOWAY THE LADS !!!

54. Stuart 79

‘That may be true but I would imagine Ashley would have been told that about any manager, so KK isn’t the only person in the world to work ‘for the right money’. Everyone is exactly the same – Especially in football.

The idea being peddled by some that KK is/was just a money grabbing individual is just ridiculous – He’s no dofferent to everyone else, so anyone who makes this accusation against him are hypocrits.’

Well said Stuart. Sick of certain individuals slagging him off. Bet they weren’t doing that during the Entertainers period.

55. I notice Pedersen is available from Blackburn on a free this summer.

He would be worth a punt I reckon.

56. Stu, Pedersen’s 28 and that might take him beyond Ashley’s ‘recruitment age’, although I don’t know how strict that is (or even if I’ve heard it from the club as opposed to just speculation in the media).

57. Stuart79 says:
    April 24, 2010 at 9:49 am
    Yes Deb, it’s getting boring and these people need to find some dignity.
    <<<< spot on they should

58. Morning Deb, not too bad down in sunny Taunton. Wife’s gone on a shopping trip for shoes (on which I politely declined to accompany her), so I thought I’d do some work.

As it happens I’ve spent all morning reading the news, organising my music and looking on football forums, so I haven’t got much done.

Hope you’re well.

59. Hope icedog is well and his op went ok. Shame he cant be there today! I blame the way the NHS is run, forcing him to miss out on presentation day. Not fair ;)

60. Good Morning Lads and Lasses it’s refreshing to see that there is still alot of Bloggers that still remember just what KK has done for our club IMO if it wasnt for him we would never have reached anywhere near the heights that we did.

61. Dave – Don’t! I have images in my head of him doing a runner from the hispital in a wheelchair down Barrack Road :lol:

“Aye, catch me if ye can ye feckers”

:lol:

62. Stuart79 says:
    April 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm

“Just on my way to town for pre match drinks.

Nice sunny day for a few outside shearer.”

About right. It is where the ponces drink after all ;)

Kidding aside, have a goodun and enjoy it :)

63. Hi, can anyone tell me if this game is being televised anywhere ?

Are there any season review type news specials on or anything like that ?

Cant get to watch the match, what a shame :(

64. Hey im a newcastle fan since ever and im a londoner so i hate wen they call ashley one of the cockneys coz where not all like him. i mean i dont like him and him from london! anyways back on topic IM SO EXCITED TO SEE US PICK UP THE TROPHEY

65. i wish bbc was showing the match, coz they have showed a lot of west brom games and they arent even champions lol. WOOOOOOOOOOOO CANT WAIT TILL 3 :)

66. Ddave – Just wondered because Sky Sports News ,ay do something for it after the games? Not sure though. They do show early highlights and you can rest assured I will be huntong them down for here lol ;)

67. Aww man why not!! i mean they showed our other games :@ …anyways thanks for lettin me no..:(

68. LONDONER – It will just be radio for live commentary. Sky may have some highlights after the game but that is it until that BBC crap later on :)

69. Cant wait to see if there is any surprises in the team and the bench today.
    For me this is the most important game of the season
    Howay the Lads

70. toonsy

“Feck me, Llambias managed to say something without putting his foot in it”

He did n’all! Against all the odds. There was even a generous and unqualified complement to the fans.

Keep it up Degsy. You can do it :)

71. Is there anywhere I can watch the trophy presentation on tv? I live in ireland and couldnt get over. I have sats from all over europe but cannot find this anywhere??