Beckord blows his Toon chance as Hughton moves on.

Free to go elsewhere.

Free to go elsewhere.

Jermaine Beckford looks to have blown his chances of playing Premier League football at St James’ Park next season as boss Chris Hughton pursues other targets in his quest to strengthen the squad during the summer

Beckford was the subject of quite intense interest from Newcastle back in January and was the target of a sequence of bids made by the club for his services. None of those bids were deemed acceptable by Ken Bates despite Beckford handing in a transfer request at the time, which he later retracted and moved to quash any more rumours by announcing he would be opting to sit out the rest of his contract at recently promoted Leeds United before leaving on a free transfer in the summer. That whole episode has apparently put Hughton off from re-igniting his interest in a player that would cost nothing to sign, despite a January admission that he would be interested in securing the services of the 31-goal striker for Newcastle.

That deal looks dead in the water now, and there have been a number of reports in recent weeks of Newcastle staff being present at games in the French league, with the latest one being Lyon v Auxerre which Hughton himself chose to watch from the stands. And the quiet man has given his strongest hint since the release of ‘the statement’, that there could still be some new faces through door during the summer. Hughton said:

“We’re identifying the players we need to bring in. We’re aware of what we have to do to the squad, and the areas we need to strengthen, and also the cover we need.”

“I don’t think there’ll be a lot of players coming in, but we need a squad capable of competing in the Premier League. I can certainly see players coming in, but I don’t see wholesale changes.”

That certainly sounds a bit more encouraging and could be an indication that plans are underway to reinforce the playing squad with players that actually cost money, although probably not a lot of it. Money spent on a player doesn’t guarantee the success of a signing though, and some of our most fondly remembered players of the last few years have cost peanuts compared to some of our so-called stars.

Can you honestly say players like Albert Luque and Michael Owen have provided more for the team compared to someone like a Sebastien Bassong or a Habib Beye? No. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding how any of them left Newcastle, you can’t question that for value for money Beye and Bassong trumped Owen and Luque hands down, and they were both relatively unheard of before their arrival on Tyneside.

What we need to do is compliment what we already have, and fill in some of the missing pieces. Evolution, not revolution, should be the key. With Hughton’s latest statement we can be pretty confident that he knows what needs doing, and the fact he is still looking around for players should indicate that funds are available, however limited they may be.

avatar NUFCBlog Author: toonsy toonsy has written 643 articles on this blog.

113 Responses to “Beckord blows his Toon chance as Hughton moves on.”

avatar Oldham White says:

Believe me you’ll be better off without him….he aint that good…and gives ball all to the team. He might have scored a few goals at 3rd Division level but he’ll spend more time on his arse than his feet at Premiership level.

Shame we didn’t let him go at Christmas and get some money for him. Apart from his ‘tap in’ on the last day of the season Becchio and Gradel got us up.

Good luck next season hope we join you soon!!

Leeds, Leeds, Leeds.

avatar toonsy says:

Good luck, as long as you leave that service crew behind ;)

avatar richietoon says:

That seems to be the majority opinion that I’ve read from Leeds fans and I’d rather take note of those that watch him week in and week out.Leave well alone I say.

avatar DJG says:

After Leon Best I think we should let Hughton sign defenders and let Beardo or someone sign strikers :)

avatar Daverism says:

Wasn’t Beye Marseille captain? Playing Champions league footy etc? I’d heard of him before he signed like.. Sorry Toonsy, just being a petty to**er.

avatar yorkwhite says:

Totally agree with Oldham white I can’t believe that Everton and Villa are so keen. Third division striker who may score a few in the championship. Way too selfish for Prem. Good luck to the geordies for next season hopefully we’re only a year behind. MOT.

avatar toonsy says:

Dave – I’d not really heard of him, well I did, but I didn’t know what he was like if you know what i mean lol

avatar larry says:

Blown his chance of Premier League football? haha. He’s going to Everton or Villa FFS!

avatar sirjasontoon says:

I would have took Beckord in January so we could see what he was like stepping up a level – I definatly think he will offer bags more than Leon Best as a player….I think he will go to Everton TBH and do alright but won’t be scoring 30 goals a season in the premiership or even championship in a hurry.

Might be a decent investment on a free transfer and could always be sold on at xmas if he is Plop,don’t think he is Toon bound.

avatar toonsy says:

larry – And if you read the rest of the sentance, you thick spanner, you will clearly see I meant with Newcastle.

Or shall I dumb it down a bit more for you?

avatar JJ says:

May I just state that the comment I made in jest yesterday about South Africa “B” winning the T20 World Cup was a joke followed by a brief statement of how its sad that politics gets involved in sport…

It was not mean as a que for sad lonely ignorant people to start an unfounded attack on white South Africans.
    Trust, me, I would have done far more to fight apartheid has I only been able to get myself out the baby strap in my pram!!!

Right… Worky… happy now you tit!

Again… lets move on…

avatar richietoon says:

yorkwhite….I don’t mind him being selfish on the pitch as alot of the best strikers are but to me he just looks like an arrogant tosser and the fact that he’s scored so many goals for leeds and yet the fans don’t seem to be upset at losing him…..now that tells me all I need to know.I think Ken will be wishing he’d taken the money for him in Jan,who’d have thought it me feeling grateful to KB ;-)

avatar JJ says:

Unless you have a truely quality squad, there is no room for selfish players.
    Everyone on the pitch needs to be working their socks off.
    We are going to have games when we are completely dominated next year, and the last thing we need is a Michael Owen type striker just hanging high waiting for a goal to be put on a platter.
    Because he’ll be waiting for most of the season for something that just isn’t going to come.

avatar sirjasontoon says:

Richie loads of strikers are arrogant look at Drogba,Anelka,Adebeyor,Bellamy they all seem to be pretty arrogant but know how to bag goals.

Would you swop Beckford for Best Or Ameobi? I would carry them both up to Elland Road on my Back.

avatar richietoon says:

Of course Toonsy if he signs for Villa or Everton he will play 1 prem game at SJP if fit and selected. ;-)

SJT – Apparently Leeds are after Ameobi anyway 8O

avatar sirjasontoon says:

I can’t see us creating much for our strikers in the premiership…we where creating little in lots of games last season and nicking an odd goal out of one freak attack,if other teams had of been more clinical in finishing then the season would have been very different indeed.

avatar ANDREW R says:

I’m sure Beckford is not losing any sleep at missing out going to Newcastle….get over yourselves!!

avatar sirjasontoon says:

Yeah I heard that Toonsy….It will be a frustrating season with Shola back in the premiership..I think he is a real waste of space…Carrol has possibly 5-10 goals a season at premiership level but I think a few droughts could start weighing heavy on him and find it tuff,saying that he may be banging them in for fun if he gets sent down :)

avatar sirjasontoon says:

ANDREW R- I don’t think anyone is losing sleep over Beckford either at Newcastle we have Leon Best :)

avatar richietoon says:

SJT..true mate I stand corrected,that said they’ve earned the right to be arrogant and were already playing at a higher level that Beckford at that age(if memory is correct!).Maybe he’ll turn out to be a good goal scorer at Prem level and as he’s on a free may be worth the punt.What I would say is plenty Coventry fans blogged warning us about Best and now Leeds fans are doing the same ref JB.Anyway I doubt he would come here,I think he’ll be after bigger wages than we would pay.IMO

avatar toonsy says:

ANDREW R must have read the title and formed his opinion on that.

Cant expect him to read too much though eh? Little cherub ;)

avatar sirjasontoon says:

Yup I think a decent 3rd divison striker on a free transfer is well out of our reach in these poverty stricken times on Tyneside…plus he will have bigger fish to fry with possible interest from big ambitious teams like Wigan,Sunderland,Birmingham,Fulham etc.

Bit like N’Zogbia.

Must be taking the scenic route to Real Madrid, via Wigan and Birmingham lol

avatar richietoon says:

I’m surprised he could read that much Toonsy.A headlines supposed to be sensationalised to get you to read on Andrew R just incase you still havn’t worked it out yet.

Richie – Leave him to his homework lol

2x table tonight ya’knaa ;)

avatar sirjasontoon says:

Though it was dot to dot books for Andrew’s homework Toonsy?

avatar richietoon says:

He’ll be gone all night then ;-)

avatar RobofLeeds says:

Beckford blows his Toon chance – just love it.

He’s blown his chance to join a club that were last champions the year my Dad was born.

Dad’s 83 this year, bless him.

I hear you lot are still celebrating that legendary Anglo-Italian Cup triumph….

avatar CLiNT FLiCK says:

Boring craic from leeds ‘fans’, how droll.

avatar CLiNT FLiCK says:

From plebs rolling around in league 3 for years, talk about lacking self awareness.

avatar RobofLeeds says:

Boring “comedy name” from “clint” there, how very grown-up. Presumably a juvenile skunk.

avatar toonsy says:

Leeds are MASSIVE man, MASSIVE. Their 3 seasons in the 3rd tier of English football highlights this ;)

avatar toonsy says:

No anglo Italian hangover up here buddy. Its the inter-toto cup now ;)

avatar CLiNT FLiCK says:

You’re well grown up rob, y’father’s 83, so that makes you about 70.
    Talk about lack of self awareness.

It’s my real name btw.

avatar RobofLeeds says:

Course it is. Thoo shalt have a fishy on a little dishy, ya bugga

avatar richietoon says:

And another one just out of school…….Yeah because Leeds have won lots recently and alot less than us historically and thats not even counting the legendary Anglo-Italian………and for the record thats not your Dad.

avatar ANDREW R says:

my you are sensitive little souls……

It was a bit of a laugh at Christmas though when you didn’t having the buying power or attraction to sign a 3rd division striker ;)

avatar CLiNT FLiCK says:

But at least we’re grown up enough not to go & big it up on some rivals board with juvenile shoite.

Leeds (first class) honours – 7
    Newcastle (first class) honours – 11

MASSIVE, LEEDS ARE MASSIVE MASSIVE

avatar Mick says:

ahh well, no biggy really!
    However, raises a question for next season, what do people think we should do with the strikers we have? How many do we need? Houghton has said he doesn’t want to sell, only add, but are they all good enough? Will some be happy playing second fiddle?
    Here’s my thoughts:

Carroll – Keep
    Loven – Keep
    ????? – New striker

Ranger – Loan

Best – Sell
    Ameiobi – Sell

With a new, better quality, striker coming in, I think this would tidy up our squad in terms of strikers, however is 3 strikers enough? We could possibly have 3 as both Vukic and Nolan can play behind a front man of we wanted to go 4-5-1, What do you guys think?

avatar richietoon says:

yeah if we’d signed him we might have walked the league……..oh hang on we did :-)

avatar toonsy says:

Mick – I think we need 4 out and out strikers in fairness.

avatar CLiNT FLiCK says:

I don’t eat fish & i eat off of bricks.

avatar richietoon says:

……It must have only been in Yorkshire when the transfer window was open then or do you celebrate Xmas in January?

avatar DJG says:

I wish Ed would stop banging on about us signing Tom Cleverly, average championship player at best.

avatar richietoon says:

WBA have released Koren,dya think he’s worth a punt for free?

Na!

avatar stevep says:

There was a massive difference between bassong/beye and luque/owen……. they actually managed to play some games, put some effort in and we made a *kin profit on em for a start :-)

leeds can have him.

avatar Ross says:

This Leeds lot are hilarious. Still terribly bitter over your fall from grace!..you can’t argue with facts. Grayson said we’d bid for beckford and he wanted to come to us. It was the boardroom that stepped in and said we hadn’t bid enough. We actually pulled out when you started asking for hilarious money. We had the cash, he wanted the move. He didn’t decide to stay with Leeds, he was forced to do so. You, get over yourselves.

avatar DJG says:

Richietoon

I would say worth it if just for the fact he is slovinian captain and would take Vuckic with him in the same minibus.

avatar ANDREW R says:

CLiNT FLiCK ……this appeared on OUR board otherwise I wouldn’t have responded….give me some credit!!!

also to richietoon(????) the reason we were having a laugh a Christmas was at Houghton shouting the odds and who had been so confident about signing Beckford since early November…then his bottom lip curled in Feb when he didn’t get him and is now in a huge sulk and saying well he doesn’t want him now!!!….even you have to see the funny side of that!!!

avatar richietoon says:

Clint he might prefer a bigger club like Barnsley

avatar Johno Toon says:

53 ANDREW R says:
    May 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Im confused here , what appeared on your board?

avatar DJG says:

I wouldnt even bite with the hilarious jokers. Beckford is crap as any sensible Leeds fan will tell you. Leeds are crap thats why the Mighty Fraser Forster and Norwich pulled away from them like a steam train and they were nearly left with smacked bottoms and red faces after a late challenge from Millwall.

avatar richietoon says:

I havn’t heard Hughton shout the odds about anyone or anything this season,the fact is Beckford wanted to come but KB asked for an idiotic price,Since than JB has done next to sweet F.A for Leeds and now you won’t get a penny for him where ever he ends up…….now that IS funny.

avatar toonsy says:

CLiNT – newsnow im guessing mate

avatar Jimbo says:

“we had the cash”

haha, that’s the best I’ve heard yet. You have less cash than 3rd division Leeds! Lol

avatar ANDREW R says:

richietoon…..selective hearing as always…..or you just weren’t listening

avatar ANDREW R says:

I agree with Jimbo…..Magic Mike couldn’t give them away and still has the pleasure :)

avatar toonsy says:

Sorry, let me introduce Jimbo. He must work for the accounts department at Newcastle to know so definitively that we didn’t have the cash.

OR

He is another sheep who believes the papers and cant accept that we werent getting mugged of by Bates, something that the Leeds fans are used to.

How was your ticket prices for league 1 lads? Premier League level werent they?

avatar icedog says:

its no wonder leeds and millwall are the most dis-liked fans,pity there brains are not as big as there gobs they might get as high as a half-wit,but yous have the right owner like,bates another one of the dis-liked guys in footy,yous go hand in hand

avatar richietoon says:

Jimbo……we spend the same on Leon Best(a bad buy so far I admit) that KB was asking for JB so yes we had the money.According to most of your own fans we did well to dodge him and like I said you’ll not get a penny for him now,so laugh away mate.

avatar CLiNT FLiCK says:

newsnow ‘is’ leeds board, they’re sooo big toonsy.

It had nowt to do with money.
    master bates said give us the money larry grayson said he wanted to keep him, so masterbates said ok then.

Evening Icedog :)

avatar ANDREW R says:

….anyway when all is said and done you are far better off without him…..he took 10 chances for every goal he scored in the 3rd division and has a very lazy attitude (apart from the last game he played for us!!!)

avatar toonsy says:

ANDREW R – Well done for the sensible comment, about time ;)

Nice one Andrew.
    Good lad.

avatar richietoon says:

Andrew…….send me a link from November when CH said he’d be signing for us then!…….still doesn’t explain why you were laughing at Xmas when it wasn’t until Jan that anyone knew he wouldn’t be coming and at the end of the day we didn’t need him and you are out of pocket because of KB.laugh away

avatar richietoon says:

thats what we’ve been saying Andrew.At last we agree on something ;-)

avatar Ross says:

Jimbo-’had’ is the past tense mate. We’re talking about januarys window. Whether we have cash now or not isn’t important. I can’t be arsed providing you with an English lesson but make sure you at least have a grasp of what’s being said before you start throwing your weight around, makes you look daft otherwise. The fact we made cash signings in jan should have shown you that but nevermind eh. Feel free to keep going and looking the mug if you wish.

avatar Meddylufc says:

Is that the same Fraser Forster that handed our shitty beckford the winning goal on a plate at elland road and us 3 points?

avatar ANDREW R says:

right….cheers fellas….back to my own board….I enjoyed the excursion!! ;)

avatar CLiNT FLiCK says:

Na, he’s the one who played for the champions of league 3, Norwich.

Later Andrew.
    Maybe see ya’ in a couple of years.

avatar icedog says:

see N.QUINN is saying on ssn,that ashley will spend a lot of money this year on players,its just a con to say he will not spend,to keep prices down!ashley a con-man,perish the thought

avatar toonsy says:

Meddy – It was. If only a season was over one game and not a season eh?

avatar richietoon says:

cheers Andrew,nowt like a bit of friendly banter.lol
    Meddy thats right mate but you can’t deny he’s had a good season and will be a good keeper.

avatar DJG says:

Meddylufc

Yeah thats the same Forster that is 3rd choice at NUFC and the linchpin of a team that kicked yur ass to the title.

avatar Johno Toon says:

I would of taken a punt on Beckford in Jan , couldnt of done any worse than Best , but wouldnt be sure if he could cut in the premierleague,

Seriouse question for the leeds fans on here today , how do ye think ye will do next season?

ice,
    he’s probably got nowt good to say about the tramps then, if he’s concerning himself with us.

avatar Meddylufc says:

So that’s the same one then isn’t it? Div

avatar jay jay says:

Leeds fans make me laugh, they come out with some class stuff :)

Div? Div 3? :D

Aye jay jay, it’s cos they are MASSIVE, MASSIVE :lol:

avatar richietoon says:

I think everyone agreed to your question that its the same one.Div

avatar Meddylufc says:

re Johno I think we can make top half nothin more. How bout u in prem?

avatar icedog says:

CLINT,mind i dont like it when clubs come out and say they are going spend big ie b/ham saying they have 40mil to spend,guess whos going to get screwed then? say nowt is best imo m8

avatar toonsy says:

Meddy – Anything above the drop zone would be a succes IMO.

avatar DJG says:

To be mid-table in their respective leagues would be a success for both teams next season IMO.

avatar Ross says:

meddy-to be fair, its also the same Fraser Forster that came second in Norwich’s player of the season award, was voted player of the season by the Norwich players themselves, Norwich being the team that beat you to the title.

avatar Johno Toon says:

Meddylufc

I think we will survive and with the a bit of luck n some decent signings MAYBE push towards midtable

avatar Meddylufc says:

Richietoon look at 75 that’s wer my reply was aimed at DIV. Toonsy ur a comedian mate

avatar toonsy says:

Thank you, but when you are giving it the biggun do you expect a serious answer?

After that, you asked a serious question and got a serious answer. Funny that ;)

avatar ANDREW R says:

CLiNT FLiCK …..next year!!! (if you stay up ;) )

richietoon….agreed

Johno Toon….I hope we do good…if we could get some of our old players back like Viduka, Woodgate, Milner, Smith, Bowyer….Delph, Lennon, Ferdinand….but I am as ever optimistic….just so pleased we are not in those damn playoffs….BTW desperate for Bl;ackpool to beat Cardiff…couldn’t stand wrecker Ridsdale back in the premiership (plus it is Simon Graysons old club!)

avatar Meddylufc says:

and yeah Richietoon he’s a quality keeper it’s only banter. Hope he gets a chance at sjp tho

avatar richietoon says:

Meddy…oops sorry m8 I’m a div :-) …….owt from 4th bottom to midtable would do for me for next season.

avatar toonsy says:

I think your free to have Viduka back if you want. If you can drag him away from the pie shop or the injury table that is lol

avatar yorkwhite says:

Johno toon. It all depends if Bates spends some of our money on the team next year rather than his hotel complex ideas. We need at least six or seven decent additions to have any chance really.

ice,
    on the money, as it were, mate.
    Anyone saying they’ve got cash to lash, is asking to be raped.
    brum are probably having a collective nose-bleed mate.

avatar richietoon says:

Yorkwhite….theres a canny player at NUFC you can have for £2m………Leon Best I think he’s called.

avatar Meddylufc says:

Enjoyed the banter gents. Good luck next season. We both deserve to be playin in the big time. Hopefully see u at elland road soon

avatar yorkwhite says:

richietoon: Think you may just be taking ths pi$$ there mate.

avatar toonsy says:

Aye best of luck Meddy :)

avatar richietoon says:

There’s no gents on here Meddy….as long as it’s not Elland Road in the Championship m8

avatar CLiNT FLiCK says:

You lot should be ok in the championship next season.
    3/4 decent additions.
    Your rep should help you garner a few results.

avatar richietoon says:

yorkwhite….honest guvnor he’s worth every penny ;-)

avatar yorkwhite says:

richieton: I’ll ask Ken for the 2mill. Dont expect a quick eply.

avatar richietoon says:

He’s been poor to be honest,the only hope is he’ll get hs confidence back once he scores.That may be a folorn hope but fingers crossed

avatar DJG says:

If Leon Best went to Leeds he would probly score loads of goals. Some players just dont seem to make it at NUFC ie Luque.

avatar bowburnmag says:

Unless Leon Best turns a very sharp corner, he’ll be forever regarded as gash around these parts. Tis a shame but it seems like he was a token signing and is destined to fail.

avatar lesh says:

toonsy says:
    May 17, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Or shall I dumb it down a bit more for you?……

Tut tut toonsy – you’ll have the Press Complaints Commisssion on your tail!