Could a loan deal for Shaun Wright-Phillips be on the cards?

Posted on May 19th, 2010 | 149 Comments |

A deal for Shaun would benefit all parties.
A deal for Shaun would benefit all parties.
There has been a train of thought recently regarding Manchester City wide man Shaun Wirght-Phillips and the possibility of a move to Tyneside on a free transfer in the summer.

Certain other sites have mentioned that the winger could be snapped up on a free transfer as his contract expires, which is poorly researched and incorrect as he still has two years to run on his current contract. Quite possibly it could be a misunderstanding with regards to some recent contract negotiations that have broken down between the player and Manchester City regarding a pay rise for the player. At nearly 29 years old, and with the vast swathes of cash available for new signings at Man City, Wright-Phillips has found himself falling down the pecking order for starting positions at Eastlands, so could a loan deal suit us, the player, and his club? Let’s look first from our perspective.

We know that vast amounts of cash aren’t going to be made available to us, although there is still some money to strengthen the squad. So as it appears that we are now facing the battle for financial control at the club, it leaves our options somewhat limited on our return to the Premier League. On one hand, we need the players who are capable of improving the team and helping us to survive, whilst on the other hand, those players come with a price that would probably blow most of our budget in one hit. A loan deal for the season would allow us to gain a quality player for a minimal outlay whilst paying only a proportion of the wages. That’s a plus from the perspective of the club, so how about the player?

Well we know Manchester City will be strengthening in the summer, and meaning no disrespect to Wright-Phillips, will be able to attract the next level of players if you will. His first team appearances have been somewhat limited already, and that situation can only get worse as they add more quality to the team to challenge for the Champions League places again. Wright-Phillips will need first team football if he is to retain his England place beyond the World Cup, something he will no doubt be keen to do, and that is what we can offer him week in and week out. Not to mention he would have access to training facilities that equal those at Manchester City, so they needn’t worry about the player falling into disrepair if he was ever to temporarily move North. All that should be another plus, but how can in benefit Manchester City?

Well, as mentioned previously, Wright-Phillips has been on the edge of first team football this season rather than in the thick of it. Undoubtedly this will make the player unhappy over the longer term as players want to play football. If he joined us on loan it would take a potential problem with squad harmony straight out of the mix for them. Add to that the new Premier League home grown rule which comes into force at the start of the season, something that Manchester City, and all teams in fact, will have to be very wary of. If they loaned the player to us it would mean that they still own the registration for the player, and that means he would still count in their home grown quota. That would leave them free to get whatever signing they want from overseas whilst still reaping the benefit of Wright-Phillips’ home grown status. A way of bending the rules, and for them to benefit from it, should make it a thumbs up from them.

Of course this can be applied to any player at any club who will be looking for first team games, and a deal for Wright-Phillips has only ever really been mentioned in the gossip rags. But the more I look into it, the more it makes sense, for all parties.

NUFCBlog Author: toonsy toonsy has written 643 articles on this blog.

1. Ye, even with a loan, we’d have to pay a hefty fee and his wages (after playing for megabucks Chelsea and Man City) will be too high for us…
    Don’t think it’d be too fair on Routledge either, because we’d have to garauntee Wright first team football.

2. BIG DAVE,have missed a bit on here,what trouble have you been getting into on here?told you to keep away from JB lol

3. Icedog :) TBH mate im sick of all the sh1t twice I have popped on here to see my name being dragged into stuff that has got nowt to do with me. I just wish we could all move on and stop the personal stuff as it is ruining a real good Blog that I think highly off and spend a lot of time on, and hopefully get back to the way it was before when we could all just have a bit of craic and a bit of banter. I guess it could be down to the season being over and that Statment :( .

4. Dave – Don’t worry mate, the personal stuff isn’t ideal, unless it’s potentially damaging to someone in real life ;)

It’s only the internet :D

5. BIG DAVE,know the feeling m8 think back to when i got a lot of stick on here over something,you and toonsy said just let it go over your head,you do same,and get that dogs photo back or rspca are getting a letter ;)

6. Lads I know and I will try, I just hate when there is ill feelings about and ye have to watch what ye say incase you offend someone. But life must go on ;)

7. SWP……zero chance. wrong age, lazy twat, huge ego and even bigger wages….Owen spring to mind on this one?? have we learnt nowt from all our big name tossers from last season, the season before, the one before that etc etc

8. BIG DAVE you know you dont offend me,hope i dont offend you its only fun,you have to laugh or cry,guess you will have to take BEST under your wing like you haveJB,hes getting a bit stick on here

9. @13… hey i couldnt give a wank who gets offended mate, my advice… say what you want, as long as what you say is what you really think who gives a shit?

10. All you lot saying he will never sign for us are bonkers! Of course he will sign! In fact my sources tell me that SWP will sign just a couple of days after Stephen Pienaar and a week or so before Benayoun signs. Good times

11. Yeah we couldn’t even afford his younger brother’s wages never mind his…if Mick pulled this off I will Knock one off on the tyne bridge Woop Woop Gannon Big Mick ya sly old Fox Ya !!

12. Where on earth has this come from?

Is there absolutely anything, anywhere regarding this fabrication?

13. Got what we need,pace and a bit of craft and some goals…been a bit hit an miss-sure CH will get him to pull his socks up !

14. Steven Pienaar won’t leave Everton. Although both he and Benayoun are quality hardworking and creative players.

15. Stu – It was loosely based on this http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/421433096sp?-11058 which I suppose means it’s not fabrication, and certainly not by me ;)

But as most are missing the point, I should refer you all to the last paragraph of the article.

With regards to the rest of it, it was merely pointing out that a loan could be benenficial, not just in the case of SWP (which I again refer everyone to the last paragraph and will even quote “Of course this can be applied to any player at any club who will be looking for first team games, and a deal for Wright-Phillips has only ever really been mentioned in the gossip rags), but in the case of any other player in the same circumstance.

16. Let’s go for BWP-Much cheaper,younger and fits the QPR,I mean Arsenal,I mean Wolves,I mean Birmingham model……in fact I don’t know who the hell I mean..who are we modelling ourselves on today…I forgot?

17. SJT – Do you not think the Leon love-in is getting a bit boring now?

Just curious as it seems near enough everyone else moved on a while back ;)

18. SWP
    Was a decent player a coupla years ago and still shows occasional bursts, but has lost a step and gets beat up a lot.
    Nor does he score as often, was in his prime while at Citeh originally, no where near that good now.
    Think that`s a, no thanks !
    Plus does`nt fit the profile, too old.
    If in fact there is a profile which I hope not, as it`s a dumbass policy, every team needs experienced players.

19. Aha, I was awaiting Mr Chuck. The whole theme of the article could equally be applied to Stepehen Ireland, or any player at any club.

20. Even on loan SWP would command wages that would be too high for us. What’s he on at City? £60k?

21. Toonsy

Why do you say that, because niether has had a productive year perhaps ?

Have to say they are different cases, SWP being older and losing a step, plus being targeted by defenders physically, aint going to improve.

Whereas Ireland IMO is certainly one of the best attacking, playmaking come goalscoring young players in the league.
    With a great head for the game, really a pleasure to watch, but hey what do I know ?
    A youngster that can still improve and if handled properly would be an asset to any side.
    However the news is he is not for sale, too bad, he`s one guy worth investing in.

22. Don’t think I’d take SWP like, nothing different to what we already have, pacey little winger who scores the odd goal. Sounds like Routledge. If anything Routledge has more potential and has never give me cause for concern.

23. Daverism…think SWP would ignite SJP according to SJT…Think we should go for BWP…..less VAT.

24. Seriously though Shaun aint going to get a game and needs to move on and I would take him….not on 60K a week though.
    Think he will make chances for the Big Lads bit of pace still….ajust his wages and bang on some bonuses if he cuts the mustardio :)

25. Stephen Ireland is a brilliant player – Big problem though – He’s on a fortune and he ain’t gonna drop £30k a week to come here is he? Not to mention the £5-8m asking price.

Would be good though. There could be some real bargains about this summer, but they all tend to be on pretty high salaries.

26. Prefer Ireland chuck definatly….pops up in amazing positions – work rate seems great when I have seen him.
    I reckon City are going just get better and better….would take Bellamy Back pronto.

27. Aye I’d have Bellamy back, met him and he’s an utter clown, but would have him back as he’s quality.

Sure if Bellamy did come it would end in tears for Big Andy. Doubt he’d put up with that gobshite.

28. Daverism says:
    May 19, 2010 at 8:27 pm

“Off topic like, just read that chronicle article comparing west ham and toon statements.. If you wade through all the media patter etc, they both deliver the exact same message really.. No?”

We live in La Société du Spectacle, Daverism. Everything delivers the same message.

29. Dog

yeah plays inside right (Ireland) could you imagine the Impact an Ireland (right) and Sissoko/O`Hara (left) midfield with Jonas and Routledge on the wings would have.
    Could give a lot of Pl defenders a problem with pace alone.

30. GCSE fine art & poetry. Nicely. Bet you could “bust” some “dope rhymes” about Michaelangelo and his ceiling.

31. Aye Icedog…Hair to big for the team bus…Maradonna was off his Nut and booked a Single Decker Mini Bus.

32. No idea what that means worky plus I’m on the iPhone and can’t be clemmed to google it. Sure sounds nice though.

33. CHUCK,kind of makes the mouth water like,means we would have to ship few out,so what eh

34. Aye….’Michelangelo….took a piece of Ma Ho…Now he Buried down Below…..yes yes Y’all…Etc

35. Hey Big Kahoona

Did you have any luck with the Hughie Gallagher clips.
    Probably only old news reel stuff still exists if anything.

36. Daverism says:
    May 19, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Well not quite, Daverism.

West Ham quite cleary state that their efforts are going towards bringing players in as there has been far too much emphasis on players leaving over the the last couple of seasons.

We say the absolute opposite!

37. Aye always aimed for a degree in metalwork….failed miserably Yaaaaaaa’llllllll :)

38. Would certainly trade Nolan for Ireland and Joey for either Sissoko or O`Hara in a heartbeat !

39. Stu…they pay Parker a barrow load to pirouette for 90 mins…that will have to stop,them owners will rape west ham and keep the coin.

40. Were saying players are leaving?

It says the same thing Stu, we’ve never said we are not bringing in players. Is there anything I can do to make you a touch more cheery mate?

41. craig chisholm says:
    May 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Well if all the things that you say about SWeeP are true, he’s still way above the level of the average Newcastle player. Sign SWeeP ??? Dream on
    CTID

42. Chuck bear with Joey…I really think he is going to grow up and stand up and fight for the cause.

Ireland I like though indeed.

43. would trade JB for any one of them anytime m8,with a few quid throw in too to take him away fromsjp

44. Daverism says:
    May 19, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I am cheery, Daverism. It’s just Mike Ashley’s NUFC that brings out the negative in me.

They say we are concentrating on bringing players in who can provide exciting and entertaining football.

We say we have no plans for blah, blah, blah.

I think it’s hard to argue that our boards statement was on the whole completely negative, ill advised and totally burst the positive bubble that promotion had created.

Theirs on the other hand was upbeat and offered hope for the future.

Totally different and to argue they are saying the same is insane!

45. I can see what you mean Fella…Joey has one more season at our place….tightrope time…really think he will show us what he is made of though…I will stand corrected though when/if the crap hits the fan…

46. Chuck says:
    May 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm

“Hey Big Kahoona

Did you have any luck with the Hughie Gallagher clips.”

There are some very sketchy things in the Pathe collection, Statler. Even just standing there in a line, there’s something about him that is extraordinary and magnetic. On that one I was thinking more about writing a proper piece about him, not just some piece of fluff, with the clips as an interesting accompaniment.

47. Stu mate, my take on it, looking past all the fan appeasing cack. Well bring in a few. Mainly develop youth. You fans are class.

Same thing mikey boy tried to say in his own fat cack handed way.

48. Daverism says:
    May 19, 2010 at 8:43 pm

“No idea what that means worky plus I’m on the iPhone and can’t be clemmed to google it. Sure sounds nice though.”

Everything is just a spectacle, mediated and homogenised by PR and such and all giving out the same message. The phrase was a reference to French Situationist, Guy Debord, who wrote ‘The Society of the Spectacle’.

49. I think Benayoun would be a fantastic addition, and rumours are that he can leave Livepool. I would much rather have him than SWP

50. raffo says:
    May 19, 2010 at 9:25 pm

“I think Benayoun would be a fantastic addition”

I think he’s underrated and one of the best players in the Liverpool team. He’s getting on a bit now though, he must be about 30 by now.

51. True worky, whether he would be affordable is another thing too, but he would offer us what we dont have. Seems as though Liverpool are going to have a little clear out and if we could stump up a little bit of wedge I reckon we could profit from it.

52. Cracking player Benayoun,your right Workyticket he turned 30 this month.He would still have a good 3 years min left in him.Could we afford his wages though?

53. Looks like Chelsea are in a worse state than us, they owe Abramovich £762m despite originally claiming it was written off. So at some point he will be claiming it back

54. milner £20m to man city (sounds like a gay town), pfffttt!
    Wasn’t even worth the £12m we got.
    Oh dear!
    swp-No thanx, all ‘kicking himself in the back of the heed’.

55. Here’s the info

Chelsea’s accounts for 2008-09 announced that Abramovich’s enormous loan to the West London club he owns had been converted into shares.

But a report in the Guardian reveals that since Abramovich made his loan to a holding company, rather than the club itself, his debt is yet to be repaid.

The club’s debt to the holding company was converted into shares, but the holding company’s debt to Abramovich remains at £726m.

“The loan is interest free, but it is repayable if Abramovich gives 18 months’ notice,” writes David Conn in The Guardian.

“The Russian could still demand the money back some day, either if the club is making a profit, or if he were to sell it.

“He has not, in fact, written off the huge loans he has made on his Chelsea adventure.”

As much as I have my gripe with Ashley, rather be in our postion than theres when the owners get bored

56. richietoon says:
    May 19, 2010 at 9:37 pm

“Cracking player Benayoun,your right Workyticket he turned 30 this month.He would still have a good 3 years min left in him.Could we afford his wages though?”

He’s on less than quite a few current Newcastle players, supposedly.

57. worky,
    man city possibly sounds even worse, doesn’t it?
    Never thought of it before, amazingly.

58. Be funny when Abramovich calls in his coin….s’pose the glory chasers will start supporting Citeh.

59. CLiNT FLiCK says:
    May 19, 2010 at 9:54 pm

“worky,
    man city possibly sounds even worse, doesn’t it?”

As I’ve written, it would make a great Gay anthem.

“I’m goin’ down to Man City, gonna find me a maaaan!”

60. True Worky,but we won’t be paying those kind of wages again for a while if ever(allegedely) but I think he’d be worth the extra outlay.Skillful,scores goals and always gives his all when I’ve watched him.

61. Some of the best stuff to ever come out of france.

What went wrong?

They seem to lack politics nowadays.

62. Probably influenced the only real revolutionary british group-The Angry Brigade, Stoke Newington 6.

Disrupt the spectacle!

63. I think your forgetting about The Boys Brigade ClintF……..or were they erotic dancers working in Man City ;-)

64. CLiNT FLiCK says:
    May 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm

“Probably influenced the only real revolutionary british group-The Angry Brigade, Stoke Newington 6.”

Funnily enough, I used to have a crochet blanket thing that belonged to the Stokie 4, it was in their alleged ‘bomb factory’ in Milton Grove when they got busted. A little piece of history.

65. You got ‘revolutionary’ parents worky?

Thought it was the Stokie 6, or was it just 4 that got busted?
    They still inside?

66. Clint….I actually thought it was Stokie 8 and 4 got sent down………..it has to be said tho that I’m often wrong!!

67. I think you’re right richie, i’m impressed mate.
    Though i think 5 went down like.

68. You could be right Clint,I dont know that much about them.I’m sure there was a chapter on them on some book I read when I was in the army on terrorist groups although I’m not sure they strictly fit into that category.

69. richie,
    they always tried to blow up stuff where there were no people, gov. buildings etc. One person was slightly injured, i think.
    & possibly the longest trial in english history as the jury didn’t wanna convict them.
    Interesting stuff!

70. Thats what I meant about not strictly terrorists,as a terrorist group often targets or doesn’t care if civilians are caught up in it………….Villa off to Barca,they’re starting to put a half decent team together ;-)

71. Just to keep the revolutionary theme going like.

They’re trying to prize Fabregas out of the gooners too.
    How much is he worth if milner’s worth £20m+?

72. richie,
    there is no way he’s only worth that compared with other deals.
    He’s a ‘proper’ midfielder, gotta be worth more than 30, surely?

73. i hear arsenal have him valued at 50mil but he’ll prob go for 30 odd mil.

torres to leave the pool too?

both teams in trouble but arsenal in a better place to build from i think

74. If gerrard don’t leave now, he’ll be worth FA.

Fabregas is a bairn still, gotta be worth £50m+.
    Weird!

75. I’d definetly go for Bojan Krkic this season especially with the arrival of Villa to FCB.

Second option would be Keirison also from FCB

And why not Belleti for a RB,he definetly has 2 more years left in his tank.

I think Chegrinsky could be available on a 1 year loan from FCB especially now with Puyol,Milito,Pique and even Henrique all ahead of him.

Him and Colo could form be a good CB combination.

76. although i’m not basing that on anything other than my fuddled brain so i’m prepared to be corrected!

77. Partizan @ 128

Bojan Krkic, nice idea. But a player of his calibre will not be joining us at this moment.

MA is not trying to challenge anyhting but surviving the relegation dog fight. Oh, and sell our prize assets when the price is right.

I’ve said We are in danger of becoming the Crewe of the EPL when Milner was sold, and I am sure I am not alone with that idea now.

78. Shame Coloccini didn’t make the Argentine squad, could have done with him getting a confidence boost before facing the Premiership next season.

79. Looking forward to barnets page Worky…should be a good laugh,you done much research Fella?

80. Workey

Sounds good (the Hughie Gallagher thing) looking forward to it.
    Wee Hughie Gallagher, the wee scotch lad,
    The best center forward Newcastle ever had,
    If he does`nt score a goal we`ll kick him in the h***
    And send him back teh Scotland in the mornin.

81. Chuck says:
    May 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm

“Workey

Sounds good (the Hughie Gallagher thing) looking forward to it.
    Allways curious about him, seems to have been larger than life, besides being as the old rhyme goes… ”

Statler, He’s a bit like Diego Maradona or Garrincha in that you couldn’t even invent better material for a bio. They used to say that he looked like Al Capone when he was out on the Toon.

82. Yes Hughie was a charachter larger than life, not only a a prolific goalscorer but overall talented player and of course an end that was nothing if not tragic.
    Remember hearing stories by old timers in the day,who said Wor Jackie could`nt tie his shoelaces, all 5′-5″ of him.
    Believe some of his records still stand to-day.