International breaks – A help or a hindrance?

Posted on September 6th, 2010 | 79 Comments |

It's international break time!
It's international break time!
One thing struck me over the weekend, and it is something we all know. That is that when Newcastle aren’t playing it leaves a massive hole in our weekend.

The reason for Newcastle not playing over the weekend? International breaks. Are they a good or a bad thing though?

From the outset they look like a really good thing, especially for a club in the position that we are in at the moment.

Unfortunately we don’t have that many international players at the moment, and that means that when every international break rolls around the vast majority of our squad can kick back, relax, and most importantly, wrap themselves up in cotton wool at our own training ground away from any nasty injuries, like what happened to Michael Dawson on Friday for example.

There is another advantage to international breaks though, particularly this one. This break came straight after the transfer window closed, which has unfortunately meant that we are yet to see anything of our two newest recruits, Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheick Tiote.

Now in the case of Ben Arfa, this break couldn’t have come at a better time for the lad. It gives him a chance to catch up on training, proper training, and also gives him the opportunity to get acquanted with his new team-mates. Apparently all new signings go out for a meal with the squad as a team-building exercise, kind of like a welcome party, although quite what Ben Arfa wil make of Kevin Nolan’s deep fried Chicken & Chips is unknown! Surely it is better than snails though, right?

Those are only two plus points about international breaks, and I am sure there are more that I haven’t thought of, but it isn’t all sweetness and light with regard to breaking up the season as is happening currently.

We are only three games into the new Premier League season, and by all accounts we aren’t doing badly and had started to settle into a kind of rhythm. My concern is that this break will upset that rhythm. I’m sure Chris Hughton won’t allow that, but it is still another interupption to what is a very important season for us. Mind you, if we had lost all three games then perhaps I would view the interruption differently!

Then there is our other latest signing, Cheick Tiote, who signed for us before promptly hopping on a plane back to Ivory Coast to play for his country. When he returns later this week he wouldn’t have had the chance to train with the rest of our players, or to experience Nolan’s Chicken & Chips, and let’s not forget the risk of possible injury.

So there are just a couple of points for either side of the argument regarding international breaks, where do you stand?

Personally I couldn’t give a stuff about international football at the moment. Perhaps it is my own personal reaction to the way England, my country, let me down during the summer. I can handle them losing, but I can’t handle them playing without any passion and commitment.

Newcastle United is my bread and butter, and I feel more for my club than I do about my country at the moment. Sign of the times? Maybe. Or perhaps I am just as daft as a brush?

My money is on the latter!

NUFCBlog Author: toonsy toonsy has written 643 articles on this blog.

• No Related Posts

1. The way the England players are misbehaving, isnt it time to scrap Club England and return to a more traditional set up with national pride at the core.

2. All good points Toonsy.

Regarding the International break knocking our rhythm though: while normally having a break just as we’re picking up steam would be really crappy timing the fact that we’ve got Blackpool at home for the next one is a massive bonus.
    Nothing less than 3 points will do from that game and hopefully we’ll give them a good hammering and set us up for another good run in the league, all rested an re-cooperated.

HWTL’s

3. I second that feeling, I’ve no passion to watch 11 over paid primadonnas play for our country, as none of them, especially those who were at the WC, showed any sign of wanting to be there or wear the England shirt, they had a diabolical WC & that didn’t bode well with all fans across the country!!!

Capello then told the FA that he’d change the team so as to keep his job, he did that for one game & then reverted back to using the majority of those players who were at the WC anyways!!

I watch the match on Friday & some of those players did ok but Glan Johnson should be dropped, he’s worse than any right back we have but the only reason he’s picked is because he plays for Cessepool, Capello only picks players from certain teams & I doubt any of our players would get picked even if they were the best in the land!!

As for whether or not it’s a help or hinderance, we’ll see this weekend to find out if the break has helped our players or would it have been better for them to be playing :)

4. Does any one know the story about Newcastle putting SJP and the training facility as mortgage true or not. to get better financing

5. Help if you’re on a bad run, hinderance if you’re on a good run.

Luckily for us we’ve got Blackpool at home the next game, so we should be able to keep our good start going.

6. Watching a bit of Fridays game I did wonder if our best all-English team fromthe NUFC squad could had done better. Given we thrashed villa with 10 of ’em I think so.

7. nee time for england at the mo,the rags are happy and they leave the toon alone for a while.

we were getting worried about you TOONSY last night nobody could find you, i wont grass batty up like but he was calling you :)

8. Agree with most, I don’t give a toss about England after the woeful performance in the WC.
    Dread AC getting a call up as he will be got at by the the bigger bling boys and we will risk losing him when his head is turned.

9. I think it was Marx that stated: “International break, equals a break from ‘actual’ football”. I may be paraphrasing him there, & it could’ve been Shakespeare.

It’s worked out ok this time for us, as it gives the newbies a bit of a chance to get to know the lads, employers, Toon.
    & the less of our team that play int. football the better.
    It’s an injury waiting to happen, head turner, & general shite behavior pit.
    Particularly how not to play football.
    Friday’s shining example being a case in point.
    It’s well dull not having a proper game for a week or so though.

10. icedog says:
    September 6, 2010 at 10:02 am
    TGS aye thats a point mate need to keep his feet on the ground.
    enjoy your hols m8 anywhere nice?
    >>>>Went to Cala Bona in Majorca with wife and kids, had a good time but glad to be back as kids ran me ragged lol. Managed to keep up with NUFC news whilst away courtesy of toonsy, mind you my mobile phone provider have charged me £20 for surfing the web.

11. CLINT hows you m8 well i hope,a few days to get the lads ready as i think b/pool might bring a bus to cover the goal like

12. batty,
    alreet.
    Well, i was told something about shrek by a guy i know ‘in the biz’, then a week later, another guy i know ‘in the biz’ mentioned ‘thug boy’, any regular’s on here should know who i’m referring to there.
    This was when i was watching the 2nd england game in the wc, with ’em.
    It all seemed kosher at the time, they said it would come out soon as england were out of the wc, obviously though it’s took this long.
    So maybe there’ll be further revelations to come. Interesting hey?
    This is a great reason why we wouldn’t want AC hanging out with these mongo’s.

13. ice,
    alreet mate.
    Wha’che’or?

I’m cool mate.
    On the blackpool thing, i reckon they come & give it a proper shot early on.
    They’ll love coming to SJP. We need to kill ’em off early. They’ll see us as a possible scalp.
    Don’t y’think hollway’ll just tell ’em to get stuck in.
    They aren’t a bad footballing team

14. TGS pleased it went well,aye these phone companys are bloody thiefs of the highest order,but what can you dee,nowt

15. the secound part of the season should see us being very strong..fitness wise if we dont get tuns of injuries..we havnt got many playing for thier countries..so being together more will make us stronger..were most teams will worry about thier players going away..plus we can use different tactics in traing with players if we have problems from injuries..2 see which works better..yes it is a break other teams need their players to gel were we dont need 2.

16. CLiNT – alreet? I assume “thug boy” is Gerrard?

The rumours about him turned out to be horse shite tho, didn’t they?

Whoever made them up obviously didn’t do their research because they said he’d been shagging his missus’ sister – except she doesn’t have a sister – doh!! :lol:

17. lads the story is he got a young girl up the duff..and paid for her to get rid..she is very young..and they say most of the football world no about it..

18. TC,
    alreet mate? aye mate, that’s the one :)
    Just telling y’ what i was telt.
    Maybe it was just the ‘scouse connexion’, gotta say: at the time the shrek one sounded more ‘right’ like.
    Probably a case of chinese whispers after that.
    You know how these things snowball.

ice,
    too right mate & blacker will fancy themselves for a while now. We need to smack ’em down. They look naive, but they give it a good go.
    We have to exploit their defensive frailties & nullify their attack. They are quite nippy up top.

19. asim – those rumours have been doing the rounds since the Seventies!!

Every year its a different Liverpool player and the story is slightly different.

I think they get started by the Everton-supporting cabbies who are quite happy to tell anyone who listens.

20. Anyhoo,
    so long as it upsets shrek, manky you, rudolph, liverpool, gerrard & a few others, happy days.

21. CLiNT – aye mate – it all sounded well plausible at the time – the stuff about in-fighting and JT having his nose put out of joint cos he was stripped of the captaincy for pretty much the same thing.

22. didnt get this story off any1..this story was told to me from a united player who is on loan at sunderland..they wanted to tell this story at the world cup but got stopped..

23. Sad little fckers – That’s how I would describe the people who make these rumours up. It also describes the people who sell their story to the papers too.

How about having a little self repect and humility?

24. CLiNT FLiCK says:
    September 6, 2010 at 10:35 am

…….This was when i was watching the 2nd england game in the wc……

CLiNT. It must’ve been a pretty swanky place if you could watch telly in the netty!

25. The up-side of not having international players is one of the few factors levelling the playing field a bit between the top teams and ‘also rans’ in the top leagues everywhere. The better your squad becomes, the more prone you are to disruption by international games.

So yes, keep Bigger Lad away for at least another couple of years; hopefully he’ll be too good to hold back longer than that, and can go get himself a golden boot in the next WC.

Anyone else want some very rosy specs and some LSD?? :)

26. hi lads im new on here so im still trying to work out how to send comments using my phone. i think ive worked it out now so should be ok. what can i say about the england team that hasnt been said i think most fans have lost faith in the team and manager including me and the 2 weaks international break just does my head in, i want nufc to play everyweek im not intersted in england anymore

27. Alreet gary77,
    welcome to a world of pain.

Na mate, it’s cool, only joking.
    Why is it that england fc only run when the other team has the ball & they are forced to?
    Otherwise it’s let’s all walk/stroll around or stand like statues getting marked. I’m sure that’s not capello’s brief. Does y’nut in.
    Answers on a postcard to: the fa Landan.

28. Clint, they’re all too busy comparing excuses for when they’re inevitably found cheating on their lasses.

29. thanks for the welcome clint flick. i havnt watched england since the world cup and dont think i will until something changes dont know if its the manager or players who make me feel like this maybe abit of both

30. gary,
    nee sweat mate, get stuck in lad.

I reckon you haver to blame the players first, they’re over confident of their position, lazy on the pitch & look like they’ve got other things on their minds.
    Capello must take some blame, but they’re the ones kicking the ball.
    It’s been the same for decades. Get picked, think they’re sorted, do little, don’t get dropped.
    Too many get picked on past ‘glories’ (with their clubs), but don’t produce for england. It’s dire football to watch as a fan.
    Teams should always be chosen on form, nowt else.

31. Will HBA get a debut v blackpool, who’ll be dropped?
    Sol may make the bench.
    We should have 2 up top at hyem?
    Decisions, decisions.

32. CLiNT FLiCK says:
    September 6, 2010 at 2:23 pm
    gary,
    nee sweat mate, get stuck in lad.

Capello must take some blame, but they’re the ones kicking the ball.
    Teams should always be chosen on form, nowt else.<<<<< clint didnt wor alan win the golden boot at a torney after fans wanted him dropped because he hadnt scored for ages :)

33. aye clint flick i think your right there mind. ive just read the vetere link you put up. was he the one who used to be at real madrid? and did he do anything wrong at nufc i cant remember if he did to be honest

34. gary77 says:
    September 6, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Don’t think he did do anything wrong at Newcastle, only because I don’t think he did anything!

35. batty,
    Wor Al is a completely different case, he always left it on the pitch. & scored more than every other game.
    I’m talking about the lack of movement when they have the ball. If you watch the way they ‘play’ & i use the term loosely, they can only counter attack from the back on a quick break. There’s no quick passing around the box.
    They looked alright for the first 5 mins the other night, then dropped into their usual game, looked scared every time the other team got the ball, back tracking, out of position, it was painful to watch. If it wasn’t for Hart they woulda been punished big time. Walcott was the only one that looked up for it, when they got round to giving him the ball, not often enough mind.
    Well done to defoe like, he did get the goals, did little else though. I’m not knocking him, he did his job.

gary,
    aye mate, i agree.

36. cheers stuart that clears that up then lol. did he used to be at real madrid? are was that the other one who left after keegan went

37. Basically,
    the result was excellent, but the performance was turgid.
    But the result seems to have whitewashed the specs of the pundits.
    Although i suspect that they aren’t fully convinced, yet they aren’t sure why.

38. “Jeff Vetere lined up for controversial Newcastle return”. Controversial? Doubt it, nee one knew what he did?

39. 34 Toon Chicken says:
    September 6, 2010 at 10:58 am
    Wonder what the odds are on old Marlon coming back to haunt us?

I would say fairly high considering all the other rejects that have managed to put one over on us during their return to SJP. Didn’t Bramble even manage to find the net against us?

40. People who are regs on here may have heard me say i’ve got a family member who works at the club, and he said ages ago that we should be gutted that him and Tony Jimenez left, said they were doing some good stuff, what ever that might have been?

However, you have to admit, since Wise and the team left, there doesn’t seem to be the flow of youngsters there once was coming through the doors does there?

41. something ive been saying for a while, I cant remember a time when we have been so organised and defensively astute. I hope CH doesn’t put Campbell in for the sake of it, Williamson and Collicini havn’t put a foot wrong and it would give out the wrong message if either got dropped, especially to someone who is going to be here for a few months.

42. CLiNT FLiCK says:
    September 6, 2010 at 3:14 pm
    Indeed ILM,
    this is obviously an attempt to rectify that situation.
    Good”

Indeed, I concur. Good.

43. is it me but does anyone else feel absolutely awful for dawson?pity,he really had a great start to his season.

44. I Love Mike says:
    September 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

“People who are regs on here may have heard me say i’ve got a family member who works at the club, and he said ages ago that we should be gutted that him and Tony Jimenez left, said they were doing some good stuff, what ever that might have been?”

Vetere was the knowledge man, he knew where, and who to look for, and Jimenez was the contacts man who knew everybody who was anybody. They were a complimentary team.

45. icedog says:
    September 6, 2010 at 10:41 am

“TGS pleased it went well,aye these phone companys are bloody thiefs of the highest order,but what can you dee,nowt”

Just got some refunds and an apology from my cable company Ice, it was hard work and nee compo though.