Confusing messages on search for Hughton assistant.

Posted on October 20th, 2010 | 167 Comments |

Hughton: “It will 100% be my decision”
Hughton: “It will 100% be my decision”
There have been some slightly confusing messages in both yesterday’s and today’s press about the seach for Colin Calderwood’s successor as assistant manager at St James’s Park.

Local reporter, Luke Edwards of the Journal, is insisting that Hughton will “Take his time” in the seach for a new deputy. However in the interview transcribed in the piece, there is something of a mixed message, with Hughton himself seemingly suggesting, as we reported yesterday, that it is something he will dealing with over the next few days, and also that he has someone in mind for the position already, but also saying “I’m going to think about it for a while”.

Hughton said on the succession:

“It will 100% be my decision because it has to be. He is going to be my assistant so it is important I know I can work with that person.

“I’m looking for someone I have worked with, or at least someone I know I could work with. It is a very important relationship and I’m going to think about it for a while.

“I’ve given myself a few days to think it over and then I’ll let the club know who I want. I hope we can get them, but you don’t know what barriers will be put in our way.

“I have an idea of who I want to appoint, but I’ve not made a definite decision yet. We aren’t going to draw up a shortlist, I’ll just come up with the name and give it to the board. They’ll do the rest.”

So, if Hughton already has a good idea, and will be giving a name of the candidate he wants in the next few days, this tends to imply that he will not be taking his time after all, that that any hold ups in the appointment of Calderwood’s successor will be for other reasons, such as contractual ones etc.

Moving on though, Hughton spoke further, sounding at times like a Teddy Pendergrass song as he waxed lyrical what what he wanted, and what he needed from his future partner. Hughton of course is something of an expert on the position, along with that of caretaker manager after his considerable previous experience in both roles at Tottenham and Newcastle. He said:

“As an assistant you have to get on with the manager and you have to be able to offer ideas to the manager as well.

“I want someone with good coaching ability, but also someone I can trust.

“I need someone who I know can deal with the players and who can look after them when he needs to.

“The modern manager is out on the training pitch every single day, but the training program is designed with the assistant so it is important they have good coaching ability.

“It will ultimately always be the manager’s decision, but you also want an assistant who comes up with ideas and who can discuss things with you on a match day. You need somebody to bounce ideas off.”

Meanwhile, the first team squad seem to be remarkably bereft of first class coaching staff at the moment, and we await with bated breath the decision of the Cockney Colossus.

NUFCBlog Author: workyticket workyticket has written 1055 articles on this blog.

1. Whoever it is, I’ll be surprised as I haven’t a clue about CH’s thinking on anything. Like the man and has done great so far but of all the managers I’ve heard he gives absolutely nothing away about anything.

2. suprised there have been no “HUGHTON – SHEARER DREAM TEAM”
    headlines. the media can’t be leaving us alone now?

3. I bet whoever it is will have a Spurs connection and to be fair they have played quite attractive football over the years so its not necessarily a bad thing.

4. I’m just concerned that CH has a man in mind and management does not like the selection, or has their own candidate. We don’t need a bust up between CH, DL & MA at this point. This is the biggest worry I have right now as far as the club moving ahead. If some bad attitude creeps in (may be there already & we don’t know it) CH could set his eyes towards signing with a new club rather than staying with NUFC.

5. i believe this development is a critical one. Although st. Hoots gets a lot of the credit (rightly so) i think colin was also a big part of the recent success. I’m interested to see just how big a part of the success he was. I’ve had my worries that hoots might not be as successful without colin. On the other hand colin was not appointed by hoots, so now hoots has the opportunity to put “his man” in place. Ultimately i feel colin played a big role in hoots’s success but now hoots has grown into the role and (hopefully) doesn’t need him as much as he probably did last year. I care nowt who he brings in now so long as it’s his descision.

6. They should think long and hard about who comes in, because undoubtably in my mind, it will be the difference between us sinking or swimming.

7. Rumour has it that Les Ferdinand is in the frame and the press are reporting Joe noidear, I like the first but would seriously doubt the second, one less suporter if that happens !!

8. the “barrier'” i believe he’s talking about is that he would need to convince his new assistant to leave his current post, as who ever he has in mind is most likely employed atm. I don’t think it would be the case of the board not approving, quite frankly because they know nowt about footy. There may be wage problems however…

9. one name i’d like to see back is rich money. I thought he did a great job coaching up the younguns and always came across well in interviews. But like i said i’ll be happy so long as hoots gets HIS man.

10. Les? Nah, paper talk man, he was with him at Spurs etc etc, easy link, not learned to look past it by now? Plus, baring in mind how important this season is, do you think CH or even the board with be brave (stupid?) enough to give the job to a novice?

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was someone who he has worked with in the past, or as he said, someone with whom he knows he could work with.

Coaches are important positions and should be awarded on merit and experience. Failing that, the person must bring attribute which other coaches can’t, namely a personality and/or the character to build a good rapport with the players, and importantly, continue with the good atmosphere the club has at the minute.

11. The worrying thing for me is hughton’s contract is up in the summer and that may deter anyone from taking up the assistant role untill that is cleared up .

12. Worky, Gazza is on his way to the big house if you believe ssn. Four times over the drink driving limit. The only player he would be able to coach is Andy Carroll ;-)

13. Tommy L says:
    October 20, 2010 at 2:54 pm

“Rumour has it that Les Ferdinand is in the frame and the press are reporting Joe noidear, I like the first but would seriously doubt the second, one less suporter if that happens!!

Cracking support there like :roll:

14. Gazza’s goin to jail man…. Calderwood was huge for us, it is going to be very interesting to see who can fit into that role, too soon for Nicky Butt me thinks.
    Possibles:
    1) Some Spurs Guy (Ferdinand?)
    2) Some Irish Guy
    3) Some Irish Spurs Guy

15. Ice – I play a lot of football video games and wtahc it on Sky so I reckon I could give it a go :lol:

16. Basically,
    he’s saying it’s got f*** all to do with anyone but him atm.
    Fair enough, i reckon.

17. Ice – I’ve already sent her out to work at a second job ;) ;)

We split the bills and whatever is left out of her wages is hers, and what is mine is mine, although we still save some cash between us into a joint account.

Anyway, she is on crap money (working with kids) so barely has owt left, which mean I end up bailing her out anyway. She moaned about being skint so I told her to get a second job, or a better paid first one ;)

And she did, although I admit I got it for her ;) :lol:

18. At the risk of sounding unpopular, the words CH uses are another indication of just how the club is now being run in a professional manner.

This is obviously an important footballing decision at the pitch level, and from his words, CH has 100% control over it. He will make his decision and will tell the board who to try and get, and in turn, they will go all out to get the man.

You ask the people at the top to remain silent and support the club in any way they can, I think this is another example of how the club is doing just that.

19. Ice – I told her it’s pointless moaning about something the she can change herself. I don’t see the point.

If nothing can be done about it then fair enough but she can earn extra cash. I’ve worked for everything I’ve got and nothing has been given to me. I don’t see why she should be different ;)

20. I’m guessing football clubs don’t really do ‘equal opportunities’ then?

or as Andy Pipkin wou say “I want that one…”

21. One thing that worries me about CH is that he tries to fit the players to a formation he seems to love 4-5-1, not the formation to the players. Guthrie is not a right winger. And he insists on playing Nolan behind Carrollwhereas a 4-4-2 with a midfield of Tiote and Barton/ Nolan rotating is imo better than the 4-5-1.

Also something has been getting at me for a while now, why are all our balls directed at Carroll as the furthest man forward when there is no-one ahead of him. I would play Nolan as the furthest man forward when we are doing a route 1 ball

team for sat:

Krul
    Simmo colo willo el toro
    Rout tiote barton jonas
    carroll shola

Perch has to go and i would have played sol instead of wilo but obv not now, for me jonas has been by far our most dangerous player this season. OK his final bal might be lacking sometimes, but off the top of my head he did put the ball in for sholas goal vs chelski and the two vs wigan, hes getting better and his pace and skill most of the time!) is destroying teams. Shola needs a start hes now scored as many as AC in fewer games

HWTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for all this assistant manager speculation, there is no way of telling who we will get. CH will give nothing away, but i cant see us getting anyone well known at all and definitely can’t see CH becoming no 2 for someone like Frank or Martin Jol. someone like Carver is most likely imo..

Finally the should we sack CH is stupid (he says before voting and seeing what people say) but we need stability at this club and stability in the management is the fundamental part of any successful club

22. Ch knows who he wants but knows that they wont take a pay cut to come and join him. Apart from that who in there right mind would come in knowing that CH could be out on his ear anytime ?
    Jokin Joe
    David Obleary
    :lol:

23. Well,looks like rooney will not be the one breaking shearer PL goal scoring record then. ;)

BYE SHREK.;)

24. HUGHTON: “We will be taking our time to appoint the right new assistant manager as quick as possible”…

Well, thats would be his kinda statement. Gives nothing away…

25. Steve Clark’s name is being banded about a lot right now. I would be absolutely delighted with him and he definitely represents a step up from Calderwood. That is not insult to Calderwood who was fantastic whilst he was here.

26. pearceet – Ooooooo I don’t know. Probably a hell of a lot behind the scenes and that……. :roll:

27. A question?

28. DJG – Yes, I would. Would it suddenly turn our players into world beaters like?

Eight games in, not even in the bottom three, and people are turning on Hughtin already man. Nee wonder we get called worse than shyte by others…..

29. DJG says:
    October 20, 2010 at 6:45 pm

“A question?

If someone decent (not huge) but non the less experienced and decent threw their hat into the ring… Would you be bothered if C.H was demoted/sacked???”

Then you’d want them sacked if we didn’t win every game, and so on ad infinitum. Get a grip man!

30. DJG – Ok, so lets hypothesise further. JFK or Hughton, because that will be the choice if there is one….

31. toonsy

I have no idea what an assistant does ‘behind the scenes’? not saying he didnt do anything just wondering what it was

32. DJG says:
    October 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm

“I didn’t say I wanted rid of him, it’s just a hypothesis.”

It isnt a hypothesis, DJG. A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for an observable phenomemon.

October 20, 2010 at 7:01 pm
    DJG says:
    October 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm

“I didn’t say I wanted rid of him”

But you do, that’s obvious and you’ve already mentioned that you do.

When?

Just realised Milan vs. Spurs id on tonigh, what a game that should be.

34. DJG says:
    October 20, 2010 at 6:45 pm

A question?

I would be bothered, The person to hang around and take charge of pre-season after relegation was Hughton, He led the club to a near as damn it perfect season in the championship and we have showed some encouraging signs in the Everton, Man City, Wolves and Blackpool matches and could easily be half a dozen points better off than we are.

We arent even in the bottom three and we have been/are lacking 3 first team defenders, The number 1 keeper and our most creative midfield players and we havent even seen Gosling break sweat yet.

No need to panic IMHO…

35. I support Hughton after he suck by us through thin and thiner. I just wish he would not stick with certain players for ages, but fair play he seems to be changing. If Steve Clark came in as coach I’d be pleased as punch.

36. Richietoon thought I saw him earlier by villa park, probably just someone who looks like him. Toonsy were you by villa park today? :)

37. pearceet – Some assistant just do training and what not, others do a lot more and basically ruthe team allowing the manager to prepare for matchdays and what not.

38. DJG says:
    October 20, 2010 at 7:04 pm (Edit)
    workyticket says:
    October 20, 2010 at 7:01 pm
    DJG says:
    October 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm

“I didn’t say I wanted rid of him”

But you do, that’s obvious and you’ve already mentioned that you do.

When?

“Time to step down C.H and let someone who can take control of this team in?”

“Hughton must be clueless.”

“This just confirms to me that the man (Hughton) has no testicles. He should have come out and said that all days off and priviledges have been canceled until they can sort out this disgraceful home form against the bottom sides.

Hughton = Ashleys bum licker.”

“Bollox, we looked like what we are today, a second rate team, playing long ball rubbish with a second rate coach (not a manager).”

There are many more.

39. Serious question….if ya button on ya work trooser’s explodes into 3 pieces is it time to lose some weight, answers on a postcard please :-)

40. jay jay says:
    October 20, 2010 at 7:07 pm

“Pearceet some do loads of stuff, read up on peter taylor, brian cloughs assistant.”

Failing that Malcolm Allison who pretty much ran Man City for Joe Mercer.

41. Worky,

I’m not ignoring your mail mate, I knaa I’ve took ages replying, just bouncing a few ideas off a mate, see if they’re actually feasible..

42. Richie@67.

Mate, that’s not serious.. a mate of mine’s pants split all the way up his haris. He had to staple the back of his pants shut!

43. Worky.

I could keep a log of all your comments but im not that immature.

Im sure that most sane people will agree that those comments mostly suggest he need to improve not be sacked.

You’s can say we arn’t in the bottom 3 all you’s like. The fact is who have we played? Blackpool, Stoke, Wigan at home. You forget the big boys are comming yet m8.

44. DJG – I’m sure Worky didn’t keep a list of them. I’m pretty certain they will be stored in the ‘blog’s archive like all comments are :)

45. richietoon says:
    October 20, 2010 at 7:17 pm

“Serious question….if ya button on ya work trooser’s explodes into 3 pieces”

You make it sound like a grenade gannin’ off. Were there many casualties, richie?

46. Manchester United away – one of the toughest of the season. Granted, we got beat but it’s out the way.

Aston Villa at home – Er, not one of the easiest. Certainly didn’t expect owt.

Everton away – again didn’t expect owt from it.

Man City away – Unlucky, very very unlucky. Should have won.

So, thats quite a few of the “big boys” DJG to be honest.. more so than the “little boys”, infact.

47. DJG says:
    October 20, 2010 at 7:21 pm

“Worky.

I could keep a log of all your comments but im not that immature.”

DJG, it only takes me a few seconds to pull them up from the database. Mwahahahah!

48. Dave……I thought the split would come today,bending down taking air samples from floor ducts all day :-)

Toonsy…I divnt think work stock bigger sizes, besides I need to lose some before Xmas so I can put it all on again ;-)

49. DJG – Where did you expect us to be? Just curious?

I wonder because I think the 6-0 Villa game brought an unreasonable expectation to some people.

We won that when most people expected us to lose.
    We won at Everton, which most people expected us to lose.

50. toonsy

I know that m8 but he’s gone through about 3-4 threads I recon to dig them out. I wouldn’t be bothered to do that myself like but thats just me. :lol:

51. DJG – I reckon he will have just searched for ‘DJG’ and it would have brought them all up anyway ;)

52. fair points about the assistants manager jobs. its just on the whole they tend to be referred to as unsung heroes just wasnt sure what that consisted of!

53. Toonsy

54. Go for it mate! Just make sure you’re not working around the centre for life.. Or that old “park your bike” joke will be taken quite seriously.

55. DJG – You don’t have to say it directly to hint at it though ;)

My mrs often asks me if I think some woman or another that we see shopping or somewhere is pretty. Of course I say that the woman in question is ‘ok’ or ‘alright’, but what I really mean is that I’d be up there like a rat up a drainpipe ;)

56. DJG says:
    October 20, 2010 at 7:30 pm

“Toonsy

If I went back far enough m8 I could get comments to prove or disprove anybody, but what does it achieve? And he couldn’t even find one that said I wanted him sacked.”

“Time to step down C.H and let someone who can take control of this team in?”

It was one of the first ones that came up. I could only be arsed to check the first few.

57. DJG – Where did you expect us to be? Just curious?

With more than a point a game at this stage. The recent home games have been a big let down. Yes we arn’t in the bottom 3, but we ain’t far off. In december I can’t see where a single point is comming from. What really upsets me is the effort they show against teams that beat us anyway like the Manchester clubs, then teams we could get 3 points from, we don’t turn up.

That means we arn’t winning either type of game atm m8.

58. “Time to step down C.H and let someone who can take control of this team in?”

It’s got a question mark at the end of it. It’s not a statement. Not that I can be bothered to reply to you anymore after this.

59. I wonder whether CH is looking for a yes man or someone who could ultimately outmanoeuvre him ?

If the rummours about Steve Clarke are true maybe he’d be better off finding with someone with a little less ambition ?

Because if six months down the line we’re struggling to stay out of the bottom three and FMA takes a dressing room poll et voila Welcome Steve Clarke the new caretaker manager:)

60. Toonsy

I just said I’d by happy with Hughton and Steve Clarke, what more have I got to do say it three times. :)

Inter 1-0 after 1 min. :lol: hahahaha

61. Good ol’ Spuds.

They’ll be able to say yes we have and we got walloped off Inter.

62. DJG.. at least we got a draw there ;-)

Went there last season…cheapest thing I did in Milan,bloody expensive place.

63. “We won’t ba able to use that good ol’ ‘you’ve never played in the champions league’ chestnut on message boards though. :(”

Ah but only an estimated 5,000 fans will travel to Milan tonight whereas we took over the place :)

64. AndyMac….ssn said there’d be 15k there..wtf..I s’pose ya can’t let the truth get in the way of a good story ;-)

65. wonder what arry says after this,he said they were only 2 good players short of winning the p.l.y/day,must be ganning for 3 players on the goal line.

66. Toonsy – You asked DJG where he thought we’d be? I think we should be about 7th given the kind nature of the first 8 games. I would have expected that, that’s for sure.

67. stuart79

Someone talking sense at last!!

68. Stu

The fact is Sunderland have played 5 of the top 6 and got points from most, and are above us having played the same number of games.

Can you see us getting points from the top teams coz I can’t.

69. Lviv like a training game between inter / spurs – inter know they’ve won and spurs know they’ve lost so no one putting that much effort in
    That young coutinho looks good – 18 years old, couldn’t imagine hughton giving a young un a chance in prem never mind chaps league

70. toonsy says:
    October 20, 2010 at 7:26 pm

‘We won that when most people expected us to lose.
    We won at Everton, which most people expected us to lose.

You can’t cite Blackpool/Stoke without mentioning the other two, unexpected, results surely? I mean that would be incredibly biased wouldn’t it?’

ffs 2 games out of 8. :roll:

71. batty

The good thing is derby matches are different from normal matches. It will be a painful struggle this year though, bruce has got them playin some decent stuff.

72. Hopefully.

Id like to just bury me heed in the sand like some on here. But having been to the match on Sat, my first since Blackpool when we lost 2-0. I can’t just see things being as straight forward as we’ll just turn up against West Ham, Arsenal and Scum and we’re ‘due a win’.

73. DJG…I think the scum have had some luck too that we just havnt had, 3 penalties,an own goal for,injurytime goals v Citeh and gooners.If they lose Bent they’ll struggle imo 7 league goals and bent has scored 5 of them(3 pens),Gyan 1 and the OG……having said that we were lucky v Wigan, so I’ll shut up ;-)

74. batty

Well lets give C.H the benefit of the doubt for the moment m8 and hope he can bring in a decent coach.

There’s another snippet for worky to add to his collection. ;)

75. richie

They’ve had luck against tho mate. What about that freak goal that went in off Fabregas?

Bent has NEVER missed a game for them, only England. Can’t stay fit forever surely???!!!

For me though it just shows how much better a team we would be with a proper striker.

76. Aye….the sod has to get injured soon DJG…aye we should have got a Bellamy type player, maybe Benny could have filled that role in time :-(

I hope I’m the last guy on earth — I wanna see if all those women were lying to me.

77. DJG….doubt as much bad luck as us,we probably had more in the Citeh game than most teams have had all season….. bad luck or not,expected more at home tho, oh well bring on the next game :-)

78. A tell ye wot, these cuts to benefits and public sector are gonna hit the north east hard like arn’t the??

I would be lazy and guesstimate half the folk up here are either on some sort of benefits or public sector. Happy days eh?

79. DJG…I’ve been working at the DSS in Benton today, one of the leaflets advertising a protest rally reckoned 1 in 3 people in he North East work in the pubic sector!!…dunno if thats true but it will be a few like.

80. How can women complain about being asked to work longer when they currently retire before men, yet usually outlive men!

81. RICHIETOON divent tell batty you were at benton m8,hes always looking for spare giro!s he will give you a cut like hes always fair :)

82. Don’t think Fergie has been a bully this time ike, just looks like a beggin wife at the prospect of loosing Rooney.

Rooney ‘For me it’s all about trophies’, Ah well there’s still time to join Newcastle lad. :)

83. DJG…The real reason women live longer than men because they don’t have to live with women ;-) :lol:

84. DJG says:
    October 20, 2010 at 9:24 pm .

“Ok m8. Coz of those 2 games we should relax, im sure we’ll be comfortable at the end of the season.

ffs 2 games out of 8”

Ok, I see what you did there, but where did I say we would be comfortable at the end of the season?

Please, it really pisses me off when people have to make dtuff up and add things in to try and make a point. Stuart does it all the time, don’t go down the same route as him.