Newcastle v Arsenal – Carling Cup match preview.

Posted on October 27th, 2010 | 97 Comments |

A warm welcome to The Gunners.
A warm welcome to The Gunners.
Newcastle entertain Arsenal tonight in a match where both sides will be looking to progress to the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup.

Newcastle beat Chelsea in their own back yard a few weeks back to get this far, and they have been rewarded with a tough tie against another top team in this round.

Arsenal have been accused of devaluing the Carling Cup over the years as Arsene Wenger has tended to stick with his youth players and use the competition to give them some match experience. Early signs suggest that Wenger is eyeing the Carling Cup as a chance to and a five-year trophyless run (boo-hoo eh!) which could mean that he is willing to risk more first-team players than he would normally.

As for Newcastle, well I would say that we can expect a mix of youth, experience and fringe players to feature for us tonight with some first-team players on the bench ready to come on and try to make an impact if it is needed.

Shane Ferguson, Haris Vuckic, Tamas Kadar and Nile Ranger all look set to start the match this evening whilst Alan Smith and Danny Guthrie look likely to be paired in the centre of midfield together. The goalkeeper position provides a different dilemma for us as Chris Hughton has to decide whether to risk Tim Krul and give him some more match experience or whether to start with Ole Soderberg instead and keep Krul safe for the derby on Sunday. With all that in mind I wouldn’t mind seeing a team of;

NewcastleOle Soderberg, Ryan Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini, Tamas Kadar, Shane Ferguson, Wayne Routledge, Danny Guthrie, Alan Smith, Peter Lovenkrands, Haris Vuckic, Nile Ranger.

As mentioned earlier, Arsene Wenger is expected to name a stronger side than he usually would for this match as he looks to give some match time to a host of first-team players who are just returning from injury. Nicklas Bendtner, Theo Walcott and Laurent Koscielny all look likely to feature at some point aswell as highly-rated youngsters such as Carlos Vela and Henri Lansbury.

Arsenal beat Manchester City 3-0 at the weekend and played a team of;

ArsenalLukasz Fabianski, Bacary Sagna, Sebastien Squillaci, Johann Djourou, Gael Clichy, Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Denilson, Alexandre Song, Andrei Arshavin, Marouane Chamakh.

The head-to-head stats don’t make good reading for Newcastle fans. Arsenal have won all three previous League Cup encounters between the two sides and Newcastle haven’t beaten The Gunners in any cup competition since way back in 1952. In fact, Newcastle have won only one of the last 19 meetings between the two sides.

I can’t see those stats changing tonight, although our team does possess the ability to come up with the odd surprise in fairness. If we win and go through to the next round then great. If we lose and go out of the cup then fair enough, as long as we pick up no injuries to what is already a threadbare squad in the process. Avoiding extra-time would also be a bonus in my book aswell.

My prediction: Newcastle 0-2 Arsenal.

Howay the lads!

Date – Wednesday, 27th October, 2010.

Kick-off – 7:45pm.

Venue – St James’ Park, Newcastle.

NUFCBlog Author: toonsy toonsy has written 643 articles on this blog.

1. As long as they go out with the intention of winning and have a go, then i’ll be happy.

If we go out to nulify their passing game, we’ll loose, and so will the football match as a spectacle.

2. I think he will play…

————-Krul————-
    R.Taylor-Perch-Kadar-Ferguson
    Routledge-Smith-Guthrie–????
    ———–Vuckic————-
    ————Ranger————

and could play someone like Donaldson or Adjei ect. I think Donaldson might be good against Arsenal because he is fast and direct.

Will be a difficult game as Arsenal are more serious than Chelsea and although some are not 100% fit, we saw what Bentner just did to Man City. I would have gone for a more experienced team and worry about the game in hand and not Sunday for yet but C.H is desperate so fair enough. With home advantage anything can happen though and this hungry team showed what mood they were in against Chelsea.

3. I agree with i love Mike, we have to go and play if we loose fair enough we are playing a good talented footballing side.

Bring on the unwashed on Sunday – we must win I share an office with a Mackem ! lol :)

4. ‘My prediction: Newcastle 0-2 Arsenal.’

Toonsy,
    Lets hope its 2-1 to the toon then like last time. ;)

5. buda – you must have some knowledge that every other fan, the coaching staff, manager of toon, spanish teams are missing as nobody else seems to think he’ll come good which is why he can’t even make the bench

6. hey xisco is a gd player just we got some top strikers already like carrol, ameobi(slightly, still too clumsy), lovenkrands would be a gd striker, nile ranger and gutierrez would torture the defence with his pace and ball control … thats if he will just run with the ball

7. jordj – Technically it is the League Cup, and it has always been the League Cup, but Carling are the current sponsors and it is what people more commonly refer to it in my opinion.

Sorry Worky :(

8. Sorry for being dumb but.. is the league cup for all the football league teams eg prem teams arn’t in the first round and is the FA cup for anybody that qualifies then?

9. DJG says:
    October 27, 2010 at 1:40 pm

“Sorry for being dumb but.. is the league cup for all the football league teams eg prem teams arn’t in the first round and is the FA cup for anybody that qualifies then?”

DJG, unlike the FA Cup, it’s only for the 20 teams of the Premiership, and the 72 teams of the Football League. That is why it’s called “The League Cup”.

10. I wish toonsy, the early kick off ended my chances of making it, I’ll just be in the pub, I wonder if my company has any jobs up there ;)

11. i think you should play your storng side its obvious your are in a good run of form and if you put your weakest side and loose 4-0 it won’t be good and it’s always good to carry good momentum to derby matches any ways one thing is for sure arsenal will put a very strong side, there are a lot of players in our squad that are fagthing to be in for starting 11 and this is a huge game for them, they will play as thire life will depend in this game.
    am expecting a goood match of football

12. DJG says:
    October 27, 2010 at 1:47 pm

“What is the FA vase? Only for non-league teams?”

Aye, that’s right, DJG. It’s for teams from the Conference National, down to leagues such as the Northern, Isthsmian and Southern Leagues.

13. ts says:
    October 27, 2010 at 1:48 pm

“i think you should play your storng side”

We’ll have to put out a strong, refreshed side to beat Sunderland at the weekend though, just like Arsenal have to with ‘Spurs! ;-)

It will be hard to tell though, we didn’t put out our strongest side against the mighty Chelsea, and we still beat ’em!

14. CC (and any other Fantasy Football players)

Just got an e-mail back regarding the quesry on Carroll’s assist….

Hi there

Thanks for your email – we appreciate your feedback.

From the rules:

“These are awarded to the player from the goal scoring team who makes the last pass before a goal is scored.

“If during this pass, an opposing player significantly alters the speed or direction of the ball, then no assist is given except if this intervention directly results in an own goal.”

Carroll was not awarded an assist for Nolan’s goal because the defender’s deflection after Carroll’s touch was significant enough to change the intended destination of the ball.

The Press Association provide all the data for our games, and we will pass your comments on to them.

However as it states in the rules:

“Neither we nor the Press Association will enter into any correspondence relating to the allocation of points to players.”

Regards

15. scum should be first priority imo. Arsenal may field a stronger side than usual but i don’t think they’ll be starting with anyone who played on the weekend. I expect to see
    krul
    raylor— colo—kadar—fergie
    routledge—smudge-guthrie-vuckic
    ranger—loven
    subs-ole, xisco, willo, tiote, nolan, shola, perch.
    2-1 to the toon ;)

16. It’s the league cup with a sponsors name tagged on, not unlike the ‘barclays’ prem.
    So, to clarify, it’s the league cup.

So, that tiny touch the whammer got was ‘significant’ enough to stop it being an assist.
    Yea, right.

17. Well that explained me quesry at least…

What complete and utter bollocks, I bet me mortgage people have got points for Kergiakos goal for Liverpool despite a defender changing the direction of the ball.

18. aye, don’t think big lad knew too much about it. Was probably just trying to head it to an area and the deflection put it right on nolan’s toe

19. Off topic but has anyone bought any of these retro tops from that kitbag thing in the top corner as ive refused to buy one of these tacky puma efforts after seeing first hand the quality (or lack of)…

I fancy a fairs cup one but i just want if anyfecker rates them ??

20. CC – I’ve had the 1980 for a few years now (you could see me wearing it on the Chelsea highlights video) and its still in canny nick.

For less than £30 you can’t go wrong IMO.

21. 5-3 to Newcastle.

two dubious penalties given to Newcastle.

Wenger fuming at side-lines.

Newcastle to Q-final. :lol:

22. CC says:
    October 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm

“Off topic but has anyone bought any of these retro tops from that kitbag thing in the top corner as ive refused to buy one of these tacky puma efforts after seeing first hand the quality (or lack of)…”

CC, I’ve checked out both the “Toffs” and “Score Draw” replica shirts which are advertised on this site, and I can assure you that they’re both of very decent quality. If you buy them through here, you’ll be really helping the site too!

23. DJG
    What do the gamblers recon aboot this, worth putting on or not?

Only works because you are opening accounts with offers. NB these “offers” basically mean that you get a free bet, if you lose you get your stake back which you may or may not be able to withdraw. effectively you may well have to reuse your stake on a future bet. Check the small print.

If you don’t understand the bet, then don’t take it.

Personally I’ve never made much on football as the odds are small so you have to be right more often than not. I’ve tended to make most of my winnings on the Horses.

24. <>

Aye I’ve got the same one and it is SWEET. Whenever I wear it, people start to follow me around because of its irresistible allure.

–Cybertoon

25. “ordj says:
    October 27, 2010 at 1:21 pm

“workyticket says:

It’s the League Cup, Toonsy!

nar its not m8 its the carling cup”

No, jordj, it’s the League Cup.”

Hows about The “League Cup formerly known as the Carling Cup” – it worked for Prince.

26. 7.45pm kick-off that’s live on SkySports2

Al Jazeera Sport +3 Ring.bg
    Al Jazeera Sport +5 Setanta Sports Canada
    C+ Fotball (Norway) Sky Calcio 1 +HD
    C+ Fotboll (Sweden) Sky Sport 1 (Italy)
    C+ Futbol (Spain) Sky Super Calcio +HD
    C+ Sport 1 (Denmark) Sport 1 (Hun)
    C+ Sport 1 (Finland) Sport 1 (Rom)
    ESPN Brazil Sport 2 (Cze/Svk)
    ESPN+ SportKlub (Poland)
    ESPN+ Andina SportKlub (Serbia)
    Fox Soccer Plus SportKlub (Slovenia)
    Fox Sports 2 (Australia) SuperSport (South Africa)
    Hi Soccer YES Sport 2
    NTV+ Sport On-Line

27. I can see a debate starting up about what is and is not an assist.

Obviously if he didn’t touch the ball it wasn’t an assist, but if he did and it fell to Nolan by chance is that still an assist? That is where the gray line appears.

28. workyticket

29. Premandup

Ive made £60 from 2 bets before in football but I think this offer stinks of s###. Like you say it is too dodgy to be able to just pull the money back from 3 sites and probably will have to put another bet on or something. £70 odd quid is a lot to put on if unsure aswell so for that reason im gonna give it a wide berth.

30. CC says:
    October 27, 2010 at 3:43 pm

“workyticket

I’m not buying from Toffs after a major problem i had a couple of years ago with an order and their shitty attitude towards me asking for a refund, But i will get one from the other company.”

Thanks for telling me, CC. I like to know about stuff like that. One to stay away from is “UK Soccershop”, not so much for the goods, as they are manufactured by the usual people, but for the customer service.

31. @AndrewT: it WILL be true~~~ :lol:

After all,we hardly seems to get penalties to us during epl. ;)

32. CC says:
    October 27, 2010 at 3:43 pm

“But seeing as im helping the site i’ll change my orders for an NUFC gnome and that big match dvd to here.”

I fancy one of those Gnomes myself like!

33. Premandup says:
    October 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Aye more is to be had on the horses but I never watch it or have any interest on it so wouldn’t know who to back. The bookies always have the odds well stacked in their favour and just use these introductory freebets to try and hook people so that they can get their money back in the long term. Betfair is probably the best for football because your just betting with other fans.

34. Its gonnna be a tough game tonight and we will need a bit of luck to go through like the chelsea game. But we can do it.

Whats the bets if we do go through we get a certain manchester based team next round? :)

35. It’s definitely going to be a tough game, and one that I would actually be a little disheartened to lose. I really hope that we don’t get some crap calls against us like in the Citeh game.

36. Ladbrokes suspend betting on Hughton getting sacked 8O

I’ll be more worried if more than just the one bookie does it….

37. DJG
    Totally agree, Ive no inteest in the horses either, but as game player with some stats in my background I’m inerested in betting against the market so knowing when to back or lay or better still sit on your hands is fun. Use betfair as the bookies wont let you lay and have to make a fair??!! profit

38. johno,
    aye we might need a bit luck the neet.
    Though i don’t think we had ‘luck’ v chelsea, we just beat ’em, fair & square.
    They got the luck with their pen to get back into it.

39. that’s kind of worrying toonsy. I don’t like that at all, and it doesn’t make any kind of sense since Hughton won against West Ham

40. AndrewT – I wouldn’t worry about it to be honest. Betting markets getting suspended isn’t that uncommon. It usually happens whe a lot of money is put on something and looks irregular, and to give them time to place bets to cover their losses elsewhere ;)

41. Just checked out the arseblog to see what our opposing fans think is going to happen today between our teams. He seems to think that they’ll be throwing in their 3rd choice keeper, so hopefully we have Ranger or Vuckic giving him a tough time, challenging him with shots and getting their bodies on him for set pieces and crosses. Can’t have the surest hands

42. Clint flick we did did get a bit of luck against chelsea , they played most of the game with 10 men due them running out of subs! No sayin we didnt beat them fair n square but we did get a bit of luck!

43. I’d be pretty sure that Hughton would use Krul tonight I think. Soderberg isn’t even 20 yet is he?

44. it dont take a lot of money for the the bookies to run scared in the – manager sacking stakes – batty investing the family allowance has probably done it.

0 – 4 the neet.

October 27, 2010 at 3:53

“I fancy one of those Gnomes myself like!”

Not for me but i have family members who like football and gardening, So it makes sense with crimbo not too far off…

46. Re. #65:

Kitbag has always been good service.

UKSoccershop sent me a wrong item once and I sent it back for refund because by then the item was suddenly sold out.

–Cybertoon

47. UKSoccershop are gangsters simple as. I presume you all now the story of it? The only places I order from are Prodirect, NUFC Store and classicfootballshirts.co.uk ( epic selection )

48. richietoon says:
    October 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm
    in that case if anyones seenMike Ashley doon the bookies I’d be worried

Huh Huh Huh good one Barney,

(huh huh huh good one Fred).

49. johno,
    ok y’right about that.
    But, it went both ways, they got a doggy pen & handed the first goal.