Niko Krancjar lined up for summer move to Newcastle?

Posted on October 10th, 2010 | 80 Comments |

Niko - A free signing next summer?
Niko - A free signing next summer?
Newcastle are looking to snap up out of favour Tottenham Hotspur winger Niko Krancjar on a free transfer this summer.

Various Sunday papers are suggesting that the club will be looking to secure a deal in January when the Croatian midfielder will be free to talk to other clubs and look for a new deal elsewhere, much like our very own Steven Taylor can do if he wishes.

Krancjar has fallen down the pecking order at White Hate Lane of late and is said to be evaluating his options. It would be a good move for Newcastle if they could secure the services of the 26-year old and he would provide some direct competition for Wayne Routledge on the right side of our midfield, but I have a feeling that we won’t be the only club that is interested in the player.

I suppose there is even the possibility of doing a deal for the player in January itself if the right deal was to come along. I would guess that Tottenham would rather claw some money back on Krancjar rather than lose him on a free transfer, so there could be the possibilty of a cut-price deal for the midfielder.

Of course Chris Hughton said only the other day that he is happy with the squad and won’t be looking to add to it in January. Personally I believe that was just a bit of PR, an exercise in not upsetting the squad. I expect that if a player becomes available at the right price then we will still sign them.

That player doesn’t have to be Krancjar as the newspaper reports that suggest this seem to have plucked his name out of thin air, again, but there will no doubt be a few deals to be had as teams look to refine their 25-man squads even further.

As for Krancjar? Hmmm….

NUFCBlog Author: toonsy toonsy has written 643 articles on this blog.

• No Related Posts

1. Good addition but We have enough midfielder,you know ? If he come it will be the end of Guthrie I guess.

2. He’s within the club policy of player of 26 & under which it said in the statement of intent, as he’ll still have a sell on value even if he does 3-4 years at the Toon…
    Good player & can give Routy a run for his money too, as I think we need a another winger in the team, just no more CM’s as we have enough of them.. :)

3. Ginkoh says:
    October 10, 2010 at 9:07 am

Good addition but We have enough midfielder,you know ? If he come it will be the end of Guthrie I guess.”

eh? no and no! He’s a winger and we have 2, thats not enough! Plus he is of a higher quality than we already have. Plus he can play in several positions, and has an eye for goal. He’s a totally different player to Guthrie so no, I don’t think it would be the end of anyone, we need players, and more over, we need players of this quality. Would be a great signing, get in there quick Chris…

4. Would love it, Kranjcars a cracking player, Either wing or number 10.

These are the sort of players we have to nab to take us to another level, As good as they have done for the club in the fizzy players like Routledge, Shola, Simpson, Smith and Nolan have got to be shed if we are going to progress.

KK dumped Kelly, Peacock, Sheedy, Kilcline, Wright and O’Brien, After promotion and we need the same in the summer.

5. he’s a good player krancjar , and he does get goals , he is also proven at this level , so you know exactly what your getting.well it’s sunday morning again , and the red tops wheel out their fairy stories.do these hacks save up a weeks supply of bull , to knock it out on sundays?love to have krancjar here , but i reckon it’s crap.

6. HERE’S ONE FOR THE GOOD PEOPLE OF THIS BLOG , THREE FOOTBALL CLUBS WITH SWEAR WORDS CONTAINED IN THEIR NAME.
    HERE ARE TWO OF THEM=
    ARSENAL
    SCUNTHORPE
    WHAT IS THE OTHER CLUB?

7. Taylor for Kranjcar? Possibility in Jan?

Also, Kranjcar wouldn’t give Routledge a run for his money. He’d take his place, no questions asked. No competition.

8. Krancjar would be a class addition, arguably Spur’s best player last season. However, what happens to Dan Gosling if he’s fit in January??

Just paper talk this one I reckon, he’ll go abroad if he leaves..

9. Batty – are the notw not eluding to the fact that Jol might come back as Hughtons assistant?

As for Nico, no chance!

10. Standard Sunday paper stuff I reckon sadly. However, should we somehow actually be looking at him, he’d be a fantastic signing. Criminal should he leave Spurs for free.

11. niko could play left or right and just off the striker. Positions that the two mid dannys don’t play. This is prolly bull spit but he would fill a couple of voids. He would add goals from the wings and also give us a bit of quality from corners and free kicks. However he isn’t the paceist of players and would demand high wages and with ben arfa’s and jonas’s wages on the wings i doubt they’d add niko’s unless they are ready to give up on routy/nolan as regulars.

12. He signed a four year contract when he signed for Spurs in September 2009. I don’t think the chances of him signing a pre contract agreement with two and a half years left on his deal is likely to happen.

13. Always thought he was tall for a winger but no doubt very skillful and intellegent player. Would prefer him to Routledge tbh. Not as quick but proven in the prem. Could be financed by the sale of S.Taylor perhaps.

14. ‘Of course Chris Hughton said only the other day that he is happy with the squad and won’t be looking to add to it in January.’

Should take whatever Houghton says with a pinch of salt. There’s no way if S.Taylor still hasn’t signed a new contract that we won’t cash in rather than risk losing him for nothing. Spurs would want similar with Krancjar.

15. like Daverism posted @ 15 Kranjar for Taylor , would be a great deal for both players and clubs , Taylor has had more than enough time to sign a new deal and Kranjar has lost his place at the spuds for some strange reason . We need a winger and they have injury prone defenders . I think a deal could be on the cards everyones a winner .

16. see O.M.are looking to sue JONG of m/city,as they want to see this type of player kicked out of football,for the tackle on benny!

17. AngelOfDeath says:
    October 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm
    SO who are the 3 lads who vote a lost against wigan? <<< iam 1 got no faith in ch at the mo

18. With Batty here like. Anyone that thinks 3 points against Wigan is a done deal are mental. We need to go 2 up top. We looked useless last time out at home against Stoke. Fair enough we maybe should have took 3 points at City but we didn’t and good performances whilst just coming up short, wont keep us up this season.

As for De Jong..should Marseilles actually go after him, it sort of makes sense. We had to buy him on the understanding he’d play 25 games. He won’t, so we could essentially just send back a crocked Benny and say “thanks but no thanks”. Marseilles are left with a broken leg and no money. Not what they want. They’d rather have the cash for Benny anyway, so they’re wanting money one way or another. If they get De Jong AND we then buy Benny, its a win win for them.

19. I do agree that we have to start turning those good performances into results but i feel its a matter of time beofre we get that bit of luck which is sometimes needed. It is a massive blow to lose Ben Arfa as i think he would of made the diffence 9 tims out of 10 against teams like wigan but i still think 3 points is attenable against wigan

20. Johno-Attainable, definitly. A formality though, absolutly not. We can’t go into this game thinking we’re due a turn of luck and 3 points or it’ll all go pear shaped, treat it like any other game. We do need to help ourselves from the word go though. Start with 2 up top, Carroll needs support.

21. I dont think any game is a formality or anything like it , I think if we put in the same effort / performance that we given for most of the season we could get 3 points but wigan on there day r a good side and we have to be carefull about zogs as i do feel rb is our weak link in defense at the moment.

Yeah id agree with 442 and start mclovin , think himself and carrol played really well towards the end of last season and they compliment each other well

22. Hahaha,batty….

i am 1 of the 3 lads. :lol:

i got no faith in the Right Flank atm…and hopefully CH varies he formation when guthrie fully comes back…

I got faith in the young lad….

23. AOD I have a lot of faith in Guthrie but I dont think he is best out on the right mate.
    Batty I know how you feel mate as for the Wigan game I think alot depends on our setup, if it is the same as it has been I would be happy with a draw, If it is an attacking one with someone along side Caroll I think we could beat them ;)

24. Stuart79 says:
    October 10, 2010 at 5:56 pm
    Why are Marseille planning legal action against De Jong? What are they getting from it?<<< i imagine cash stu seeing he is still there player m8

25. But it’s not costing Marseille anything is it? He’s not playoing for them so what’s it matter? Unless we’ve turned round and said “Permanant deal off”.

26. stu trust hughton he knows what he,s doing ,no doubt he will do his best too get us promoted next season ,like he says we have a good squad :lol:

27. Stuart maybe they are just covering themselfs just incase,
    But then thinking back to lastweek when CH said he didn’t know if they would sign him so you never know.

28. Stuart79 says:
    October 10, 2010 at 5:56 pm

“Why are Marseille planning legal action against De Jong? What are they getting from it?”

Money perhaps, Stuart? Though Marseilles president, Jean-Claude Dassier said:

“It’s about getting rid of this type of individual from European grounds.”

29. I’ve given up even thinking/hoping about signing anyone until we know which division we’re going to be in next season.

Ashley has taken a huge risk, yet again in thinking we’ve got a good enough squad to stay up. Not saying we’ll go down but I’m concerned. It will only get worse too if we get a few more injuries.

October 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm

If you believe that worky, you’re more naive that anyone I have ever met in my life, and I certainly didn’t have you down as that.

31. Stuart79 says:
    October 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm

“But it’s not costing Marseille anything is it? He’s not playoing for them so what’s it matter?”

It’s potentially affected a deal between them and Newcastle United.

32. Stuart79 says:
    October 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm

“I’ve given up even thinking/hoping about signing anyone until we know which division we’re going to be in next season.”

We’ll be in the Premiership next season, Stuart, divven’t worry about that.

33. Stuart79 says:
    October 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm

“If you believe that worky, you’re more naive that anyone I have ever met in my life”

Of ocurse I’m somewhat cynical about those comments, Stuart. It good to see the likes of Van Marwijk and Dassier weighing in alongside Newcastle though. Besides, he is right, Nasty Nigel should be flayed alive!

34. I don’t think 3 points will be easy but we know (and hoots and the players) that if we don’t get them we are in trouble. we don’t want to slope down into the bottom half. 1point/game is the form we have started the season. That equals just scraping up form. We need to improve.

35. Stuart79 says:
    October 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm

-I said something similar earlier Stu. They’re scared we’ll turn round and say “no thanks” at the end of the season, given the fact he wont play 25 games for us. They’d be left with a crocked Benny and nee cash. They go after De Jong now and make money, at least it softens the blow if we send him back. If we buy him, its a win win for OM.

36. If Benny makes a decent recovery and is playing again at the end of the season I don’t think Ashley will say ‘no thanks’. It would be PR suicide surely.

37. DJG- “It would be PR suicide surely”

That hasn’t stopped him before sadly! I agree I doubt we’d turn him down, but if he isn’t fit and performing by the end of the season then who knows. Our reluctance to take risks has been apparent in the past. Unless it’s spending money on the likes of Leon Best.

38. batty says:
    October 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm

“worky iam glad your confident we will be ,cos iam with stu on this 1 a divent know where we will be”

batty, divven’t worry man! It’s quite normal for the team to be somewhat erratic at this stage in their development. We have risen like a Phoenix from the ashes of relegation, the team has been in a state of great flux after the post relegation exodus of knackered auld superstars, replaced I might add by some very promising and well scouted young prospects. I’ve used this one before, but there was a time when Alex Ferguson and Man Utd were in a very similar position to us, and some supporters were calling for his heed! There has also been the side issue of referees being complete and utter bastards so far as well. I am confident that as time marches on, we will become more consistent, and the Cockney Colossus will shape a team we can be proud of, if we give him the chance and we stop carrying on like big girl’s blouses (as usual). HWTFL!

39. Stuart79 says:
    October 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Back to chatting your usual sh1te I see, Spew.

A few weeks ago you were as happy as a mackem in a charity shop.

Get a fcuking grip you miserable sod.

40. Does anyone see positives in the fact that benny will be off the radar for a while, whereas he was basically in the shop window for the season.

41. No, because a contract was in place with a fee agreed – so long as he played 25+ games it wouldn’t have made a difference if Man City offered £36billion for him – he’d agreed to join us and the deal was done.

42. I wonder what this new french lad Moyo is like and where he fits in the pecking order with regards to LuaLua, Ferguson, ect.

43. @Big Dave: Oh…u misunderstood me…i am saying when guthrie is fully back,place him back and drop tiote when at home matches..cause imo we don’t need a DM when we go attacking Mode.

Rmb? Didn’t we do well in CCC without a decent DM when home matches? ;)

And saying the Right Flank meant,i currently worried abt Perch and Wayne performance…Ryan taylor can play there but would CH choose Him,i ponder…

44. While french clubs seem to like to get as much cash for players, when selling to english(or other) clubs, they always sue.
    They love a good fight for ‘liberty & dignity’ & stuff.
    They’re french, it’s their schtick!

Not dis on the french like, it’s just in their national psyche, i like that about ’em.

45. I have a feeling that with Ben Arfa out then hughton might just start playing 442 , I think ch was playing with 1 upfront to allow ben arfa a free roll now with him out we have no talented attacking midfielder that can roam free and CH knows that . It would not surprise me if Nolan is sacrificed for a different formation . He now has the international break to come up with plan b and let the squad train and practice to it . I know a lot of people would not like it but its time to give Barton the captains armband and place Nolan on the bench . Carroll and Lovenkrands upfront will give us height and physical presence and Pace

46. CLiNT FLiCK

At least the french stand up for themselves, don’t just roll over and get shafted like us. I personally find it disgusting that it has taken two OTHER nations to do something about De Jong. We should be ashamed of the FA for this.

47. Toon Chicken says:
    October 10, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I notice you have only passed comment on my views. batty holds exactly the same view and has exactly the same concerns as me, but alas you choose to throw your bile at me. Says alot really.

48. DJG says:
    October 10, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Why should we feel ashamed of the FA just for this debacle? The FA and shambolic go hand in hand. They have no balls and have totally fcked this countries football up!

Their ran by a load of 70 yr olds who have never played the game and the only experience they have is being secretary of their local club – Complete joke!!

49. DJG,
    aye mate, totally agree.
    But at least it highlights the ‘concern’ about these type of ‘challenges’.
    It’s about time, isn’t it?
    & it proves it’s not just us that knew it was an ‘attack’ on flair.

50. CLiNT FLiCK some people are just not forgiving and his past will allways be held against him by some , i think with the way he has handled himself since his stint inside should be used as a positive .

51. AOD with you now mate ;) and I agree with most of what you say.
    Axel I would say there is more chance of us winning the prem than captain Tugboat being dropped.
    DJG > I personally find it disgusting that it has taken two OTHER nations to do something about De Jong.
    I found it disgusting that our own manager never came out and blasted De Jong, or Henry in the wolves game.
    But then CH said that the game needs players like Henry :( then CC comes out about De Jong saying “I wouldn’t want to take that type of challenge out of our football.”

52. Considering the huge outcry regarding the De Jong tackle on HBA, everybody agrees that it was a horrendous tackle etc etc…Marseille rightly suing De Jong, Van Marwyk banning De Jong etc. However, everything seems to have gone quite regarding the cretinous referee involved who didn’t even award a free kick ! Now THAT’S real bollocks…