Pardew slams Enrique over Twitter Tweet.

Posted on December 28th, 2010 | 73 Comments |

Enrique: Twitter storm.
Enrique: Twitter storm.
Newcastle United manager, Alan Pardew has been highly critical of the club’s left back, Jose Enrique
after reporters revealed that a “tweet” stating that Jose wouldn’t be starting today’s game against Tottenham Hotspur on a Twitter site which allegedly belongs to the player.

When it was put to him by reporters that Enrique had published a ‘Tweet’ stating “we decide is better dont play.” Pardew said, without confirming whether the information was correct:

“Did he tweet it, did he?”

“Players can’t be giving that sort of information out.”

Pardew then added:

“It’s difficult to police … we need to make it as a club policy that it has to stop.”

When asked whether Enrique would be fit for Sunday’s match against West Ham, Pardew then replied:

“I’ll check his tweet.”

NUFCBlog Author: workyticket workyticket has written 1055 articles on this blog.

• No Related Posts

1. “The tweet in question was nowhere to be seen on Enrique’s alleged Twitter page”. Worky it was there and was deleted, But I fail to see how Pardew has been “highly critical” I cant see what else he is supposed to say when asked a direct question except to answer.

2. adebayor available on loan just hope pardew goes for him carroll badly needs a strike partner!!!! we are gone to predictable in the final third

3. Pardew absolutely correct. The club has been like a holiday camp for too long.

Premier League table looking a little less impressive now though.

4. Big Dave says:
    December 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm

“It really seems that at every chance you will come out and be Highly Critical of Pardew no matter what he says or do’s, but thats your choice. He mightn’t be my No1 choice or even in my top 10 names for the Job but I think he is here now and there is fuk all we can do about it.”

Dave, please forgive me but I can’t delude myself or anyone else. I’m used to being derided by the herd, then being proved right after all.

5. DAVE tend to go with WORKY on this one,nowt like a good winge m8,not a lover of the guys manner like.
    like a broken leg or sumit dont want it but got it,a winge helps at times :)

6. well alan passthru doesn’t like jose tweeting?i didn’t think enrique’s voice was that high pitched to be honest.
    well if the last three games are anything to go by, what was the point of alan pardews appointment?.
    would the results have been any different under chris?,not having a go at alan,but billy bunter cannot expect miracles with the paltry tools he hands out.
    doesn’t matter who is manager up NE1,you will still get the same level of performance from that team.
    anyway a belated merry xmas to everyone,as i cannot get on here much these days.

7. Worky I can remember people getting slatted on here for allways being negative against CH, but if its about Pardew its ok.
    I just dont see the point in it as it wont change owt and I still cant see how out of the words Pardew said He has been Highly Critical or Slammed Enrique.
    I agree 100% with Pardew that team affairs or tactics shouldn’t be put out on the web before a game or anyother time

8. Ice,

I noticed that you were having problems with the site earlier. Just to let you (and everyone else) know that thanks to Hugh, the site should be migrating on to a new server soon(ish), and those kinds of problems should be a thing of the past.

Three cheers for Hugh!

9. WORKY cheers for that,dont mind really part and parcel of it.
    will have nowt to winge aboot noo,oh yes i have pardew lol

10. Big Dave says:
    December 28, 2010 at 8:13 pm

“Worky I can remember people getting slatted on here for allways being negative against CH, but if its about Pardew its ok.”

No Dave, I was slated for saying that Hughton was a good man, a good manager and leader, a forward thinker and good for Newcastle United when virtually everyone else was deriding him. I just can’t say the same for Pardew I’m afraid, and my mother always taught me to be honest.

11. Ice he was pretty poor today but its funny that when Barton has a bad day the team tend to have a bad day.

Worky what did he say that was Highly Critical of or Slammed Enrique,

12. the question being,is pardew anyway a step up from chris hughton?
    i’m not having a go at pardew,but what i’ve seen over the last 3 games is he any better than hughton?
    the whole thing to me seemed a pointless episode,as chris should have been left in his position.
    anyone heard the rumour about pardew be into llambias to the tune of 1 and a half million debt?

13. WORKY coming good mate stiches oot looks good,son doon with viral infection/swine flu quite poorly on xmas eve,so no xmas for us,but we will come good lucky really compared to some

14. TROJAN with you on that one,heard that rumour but thought it was ashley he owed,but there you go thats rumours for you

15. I can remember being slated on here for saying that CH didn’t have the “Steel” to make tough decisions and letting the Senior players have too much say, and I still believe it but we will probably never really know if I was right or wrong.

16. icedog says:
    December 28, 2010 at 8:33 pm

“WORKY coming good mate stiches oot looks good,son doon with viral infection/swine flu quite poorly on xmas eve,so no xmas for us,but we will come good lucky really compared to some”

I really hope the swine flu isn’t too bad, Ice. Glad to hear the stiches are looking good though. I know from experience that it’s better to have those when you’re a bairn as they heal up better, otherwise I’d look like a patchwork quilt now!

17. TROJAN 69 I cant see the point in shafting CH then bringing in Pardew, but I think Pardew is now being painted as the Devil when IMO the Fat Controller is the Devil and is getting away with what he done on CH and Pardew is taking all the stick instead

18. Big Dave says:
    December 28, 2010 at 8:39 pm

“I can remember being slated on here for saying that CH didn’t have the “Steel” to make tough decisions and letting the Senior players have too much say”

Good delegation and making people feel responsible for the unit is a crucial part of good leadership, Dave. I disagreed with you, but I don’t think that I “slated” you for it. I can’t speak for others.

19. Big Dave says:
    December 28, 2010 at 8:44 pm

“TROJAN 69 I cant see the point in shafting CH then bringing in Pardew, but I think Pardew is now being painted as the Devil when IMO the Fat Controller is the Devil and is getting away with what he done on CH and Pardew is taking all the stick instead”

That is a very good point Dave. I agree with you on that mostly. However Pardew is by his own admission “confrontational” and tends to do stuff like spouting untruths to the media and blurting things out about matters which should be kept in house, as the above story shows. I fear a return to the pre Hughton “comedy club” days, expecially with Pardew’s encouragement of a “yob culture” (someone elses words about Pardew) in the dressing room. Of course, he is also a very mediocre manager and a step backwards too, as his record indicates.

20. pardew has been good since he came in n man city n spurs are 2 hard games i wud of been happy with a point from them 2games thought we were brilliant against man city apart from the first 5mins, at least pardew has identified that we better quality n speed in the final third jus gotta hope fat man provides cash to bring themplayers in id personnally bring in adamjohnson n swp from city on loan with option to buy both n left bk n i feel we mite not get a striker as i believe thats were hba will play once fit, although id love someone like whickham or maynard young english n talented

21. looking forward to the day ashley takes a step forward oot the door like,some say better the devil you know thing is we dont know him

22. jan window cud be interesting were not far off we jus need the creative n speed added to our team, against man city when they broke from there box on counter attack 3 passes n they were at are box, now if that was us it wud take 20 passes n thats not pardews doin thats been case b4 season started to slow

23. Davy says:
    December 28, 2010 at 9:01 pm

“at least pardew has identified that we better quality n speed”

That was identified long ago, davy. That’s why Hughton brought Ben Arfa in to provide more quality and more speed in terms of service at the front. We all know what happened there though, as well as the financial restrictions imposed by the club.

24. i dont c were he has been highly critical he is right jose shudnt b putting on his twitter that he is out of the game, n am sure its lot of clubs policiys to ban twiitter bout team news n stuff

25. Don’t really see Pardew being out of order on what he’s said. In fact it makes perfect sense-we can’t go out and give teams advantages and insights into our game and who might be playing-even if its interesting to know the facts ourselves. We need secrecy as far as line ups go, it might not have made a difference today but it may well do in the future.

Also I’d probably agree with Dave in that Pardew isn’t exactly “slamming” his player. Maybe he should have had a quiet word with him behind doors rather than voicing it publicly like that, but if he was asked directly about it then I guess you can’t really fault his honesty. Falling out with enrique would be a massive blow to us, but I think if its explained to him he’ll understand, he’s a top lad.

26. i know worky but hba wasnt enough n hopefully bcoz pardew is ashly choice he will be backed with cash at least thats what we hope n like i say johnson,swp,leager,ruiz who weve been linked with wud all b an improvment on jonas n routledge at the moment who jus provide no crosses at all apart from them shi*ey dink crosses, really dont understand why ferguson or vukic or donaldson arnt giving a go, how come houghton thought they wud develop best at the club yet pardew says they will only develop by bein loaned out n playing theses players shud b pushing the first team

27. NewkieBrown says:
    December 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm

“Don’t really see Pardew being out of order on what he’s said.”

But he said it to the media before he sorted it out with the player himself, which is stupidity of the highest order for a football manager, or anyone in a similar position of leadership. Behaviour such as that risks returning Newcastle to it’s “comedy club” / soap opera status, with the media destabilising the club with endless gossip and division. He should have sorted it out backstage, away from the press. That’s what a wise manager would have done.

28. jose has obvouisly been told its not acceptable since the comments were removed, end of newe club policy enforced no twitter comments bout team selection or fitness simple

29. how do u know he sorted it with the media b4 the player or jus guessing because it fits your argument that pardews no good, i dont expect pardew to work wonders coz hes working with same players who arnt up to it as hoots had, jus gotta hope he adds pace,creativity n skill to the team in jan 4pts against wigan n wham is must then its the derby get in

30. Davy says:
    December 28, 2010 at 9:25 pm

“how do u know he sorted it with the media b4 the player”

Elementary, my dear Davy:

“Did he tweet it, did he?”

31. well in another piece i read it said they were removed any way worky i still dont see the big deal he aint said anything outrageous jus the truth that jose shudnt hav put it on n i agree, i dont think fergie wud allow anything like that, n spurs banned players from using twitter after bents outburst on it

32. Davy says:
    December 28, 2010 at 9:28 pm

“well in another piece i read it said they were removed”

Check things out for yourself, Davy, and don’t believe everything the media says. ;-)

33. Davy says:
    December 28, 2010 at 9:28 pm

“i still dont see the big deal he aint said anything outrageous jus the truth”

Davy, have you ever heard the expression “don’t wash your dirty laundry in public”? And in Newcastle United’s case, especially not in front of the media.

34. Watching Utd against brummies, Carroll would thrive on Larssons passing! That lad can pick out a cross and a pass…..shame none of our players seen to have the ability to cross!

35. workyticket workyticket says:
    December 28, 2010 at 9:19 pm

“But he said it to the media before he sorted it out with the player himself”

True enough, but if that was the first he had heard of it I can’t fault him for being angry-any manager would be-a bit of a PR mistake but if he feels he needs to be open about it to stress its importance then thats just his style and hopefully it will work-aye its different to Hughton, but that doesn’t make it wrong or neccessarily doom it to failure.

Also, if you’re only criticising the fact he is saying it, rather than what he is saying, then you have to kind of admit he’s hardly being “Highly critical” or slamming Enrique…

36. NewkieBrown says:
    December 28, 2010 at 9:48 pm
    workyticket workyticket says:
    December 28, 2010 at 9:19 pm

“But he said it to the media before he sorted it out with the player himself”

“but if he feels he needs to be open about it to stress its importance then thats just his style and hopefully it will work”

It won’t, NewkieBrown, it never does, especially at Newcastle United. If you ever get the chance to be in a position of leadership, especially where you are dealing with the media, you will know what a liability a big mouth can be. Just look at Joe Kinnear for a start.

37. does anyone feel that with carr chief scout the quality of player will b good in jan bcoz he was reasonible for gosling, hba n tiote n all class, cant wait for gosling n hba return

38. Davy says:
    December 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

“does anyone feel that with carr chief scout the quality of player will b good in jan bcoz he was reasonible for gosling, hba n tiote n all class”

Tiote was being pursued by Chris Hughton before Carr joined the club, Davy, and it’s hard to know how much of a hand Carr had in the aquisition of the other players. Players like Gosling and Ben Arfa were already known about. Carr will probably send alot of his time unearthing younger talents. Time will tell I suppose.

39. worky who wud u like to c come in jan realistic although we dont know r budget if any, for me id sell lovenkrands, xisco, smith n bring in johnson/swp/leager/ruiz any two of them for the wings n a lb n a striker, i really like to i quick pacey striker come in

40. we clearly need a lb bk since he dont hav faith in ferguson,kadar,dummit over perch although i heard he played well today n john carver as no 2 plz

41. Davy says:
    December 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Davy, I think the problem of getting rid of alot of the “lesser players” at Newcastle is that they were really bad deals. If you were the manager or owner of another team, would you want Smith and Xisco for £40/50/60 thousand per week? As for SWP / Johnson etc, I don’t think we’ll get Johnson, though I may be wrong. I thinks the policy may still be to go for top players we may not have heard so much about, like Tiote, Ben Arfa etc. Gotta go!

42. workyticket workyticket says:
    December 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm

“It won’t, NewkieBrown, it never does, especially at Newcastle United.”

Cheer up Worky, theres a first time for everything…even stability at Newcastle United. Ha ha ha….

43. On a side note, can’t wait for the FA cup now just to see if Xisco gets a run in, even its just for the shop window. We need something fresh, who knows, he might turn out a masterclass :P

44. Just to confirm what a set of twats we have running the club;

NUFC signed up to a annual membership to NGI (Newcastle and Gateshead initiative) for a annual fee of 10k. NGI promote Ncl and bring in lots of money to the city and they club.

What have NUFC done? They have refused to pay the 10k and have offered to pay 2.5k! Fcking w**kers!!!

Their a bunch of fcking w**kers!

Oh and this is true, I have it from the horses mouth.

45. I was just about to come on and say this.

The Spaniard wrote in broken English four hours before the match, “we decide is better dont play.”

Pardew was annoyed that key team news had been leaked in such a manner. “Did he tweet it, did he?” Pardew asked reporters after the 2-0 loss at White Hart Lane. “Players can’t be giving that sort of information out.”

As a result the manager revealed he will address the use of Twitter by his players, saying: “It’s difficult to police – we need to make it as a club policy that it has to stop.”

Asked if Enrique would be fit for Sunday’s match against West Ham, Pardew replied: “I’ll check his tweet.”

Then I noticed im about 6 hours too late. :)

I thought it was a bit weird him telling everyone before the match like and im not suprised it’s got him in bother. :)

46. ‘This kind of behaviour by Pardew signals a big break from the discreet approach of previous manager, Chris Hughton, where such matters were dealt with behind closed doors and away from the glare of the media.’

Pardews hardly ‘dealing with it in the glare of the media’ he’s probably quite rightly shocked that his plans were leaked hours before he intended. How exactly would C.H have acted? Said nothing and we all wonder if he has any authority whatsoever, Pardew is right players shouldn’t be leaking critical team tactic via twitter to any Tom, Dick and A’rry hours before a game and it needs to stop!

47. ”But he said it to the media before he sorted it out with the player himself, which is stupidity of the highest order for a football manager, or anyone in a similar position of leadership. Behaviour such as that risks returning Newcastle to it’s “comedy club” / soap opera status,”

Bullsh!t. Enrique is a highly paid proffesional not a kid in primary school. He should know better without Pardew having to deal with all this sh!t. By the sounds of it he didn’t know till the press told him. What would C.H have done predend he authorised it and then had a quite word with Enrique. I don’t think so. mugs.

48. we have the worst form in the prem ,we will struggle from here in ,wonder if the big snide bastard has banged on fattys door yet

49. no we don’t have the worst form, Chelsea and Villa have. But this can be changed, at least it’s not at the end of the season.

Our last seven or so game, from March onwards are really tough, we need some points on the board like now! Another 10 points come the begining of March I would say.

50. Whole thing needs a good shake up, Barton isnt as effective when he plays in the middle, two wingers are and have been for long enough Piss Poor and the selection of Smith yesterday had the predictable dumbing down effect on the team.
    One route to goal isnt good enough but i wont blame Hughton or Pardew for this, they have a limited squad and it was always going to be exposed at some point.
    Lets see what backing Pardew gets from the board, he sounded optimistic after the game yesterday.

51. Howay Nora, we’ve lost the last two games against Man City And Spurs, both top 4 sides, however I feel we competed well in both games and should beat Wigan if we play with the same commitment.
    Nora, pull your tatty tights up, adjust your head scarf and drink the last of the Xmas wine or summers wine if there’s any left.

52. bbb
    I agree with you that we souldn’t blame the managers as they’re just working with what they have, but for how long now have we been screaming out for pace and creativity in our midfield?

53. Our form was always likely to take a nosedive this month with the fixtures we had…now we need to start racking some points up.

As much as I wish CH was still in charge, Jose is the only one who’s f*cked up there.

54. I think it is just an honest mistake by Jose. Banning it could be counter-productive and get the backs of the players up. I would just remind them of their responsibilites and tell them to be more careful in future.

AS for the form? Yep, pretty crap, but we have hardly had a run of easy games. Depending on how you look at it, we are three points from the relegation zone, or three points from the top of the table.

Next week is big.

West Ham v Wolves
    Wigan v Newcastle

55. Don’t see what all the fuss is about.

Jose was a prat, and team selection will no longer be allowed on twitter.

Pardew’s comments were entirely as I would expect, given the circumstances. Comparing this to the rantings of Joe Kinnear is laughable :)

56. hardly “slammed” him there – simply stated that team news shouldn’t be shared over twitter and he’d look into it and deal with it internally. totally correct in how he handled it. (personally enjoyed his little joke about checking joses’ twitter about playing saturday)

everyone got all up in arms and are looking for any excuse to slag pardew. he’s simply needing to deal with how team news is shared. no problems here.