John Carver interview: “We’ll see how things go”.

Posted on January 20th, 2011 | 84 Comments |

Alan Pardew welcomes John Carver back to the club.
Alan Pardew welcomes John Carver back to the club.
Newcastle United’s not so new assistant manager, John Carver, has given an interview on his reappointment at the club.

In it, he gave a revealing glimpse into his previous time at the club. An odyssey which started playing with the club’s youth teams in the 1980s. He then rejoined the club as an academy coach under Kevin Keegan, eventually rising to be an assistant manager under Sir Bobby Robson from 1999 to 2004 and was caretaker manager for one game, a 3-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers after Robson was controversially sacked by previous Chairman, Freddy Shepherd. He was then moved back to the academy in a reshuffle under Robson’s successor, Graeme Souness before eventually leaving the club. After having stints at Luton and Leeds, he eventually joined the world of Major League soccer over the pond after being appointed manager of Canadian club, Toronto F.C. in 2008. He then returned to the U.K. in 2009 for spells with Plymouth Argyle and his last club, Sheffield United.

Carver began by revealing the emotion he felt upon his return to the club, and the memories it brought back, saying:

“It was amazing really.

“It was tough going through the gates, but when I stepped through the doors into what used to be his office, there was a lot of emotion.

“There is a massive photograph of him behind the manager’s desk, which I think Chris Hughton put there, but I didn’t know anything about it so it took me by surprise.

“We have a staff meeting in there every day, and it really hit me the first time I went in and saw him looking down from the wall. I have a lot of memories of him and we spent a lot of time together in that room.

“I’m not being funny, but I felt him there on my shoulder at that moment. I know he will be looking down and smiling because he knows how much this club meant to me, and he will be pleased I’m back.”

Touching on the way he left the club after Robson’s successor, Graeme Souness took over from the sacked Robson and brought in his own assistant, moving Carver back down to the Academy, Carver said:

“I always hoped I would come back, but I never believed I would. There was sadness and, if I’m honest, a bit of bitterness about the way I left the Academy. I lost my job through no fault of my own really, but that’s football.

“I’ve come close to returning a few times, without going into too much detail, and I’m really happy I’ve finally done it. You should always expect the unexpected in football and when I got the call it was totally out of the blue.”

Carver then echoed manager, Alan Pardew’s sentiments that both himself and Pardew will be treating the assistant’s current short term appointment (until the end of the season) as a way of getting to know each other, with a potential to extend his contract should both Pardew and Carver find their working relationship to be harmonious.
Carver said on this:

“I’ve only got a contract until the end of the season and that is absolutely the right thing to do, for the club and for me.

“As soon as I walked back into the club I could sense the special atmosphere around the place and there is no point giving me a long-term contract if I’m going to upset the apple cart as it were.

“The manager has got to find out if he can work with me and whether I can work with him. I’d love to have some stability in my life, I’m getting to be known on the circuit as Phileas Fogg as it feels like I’ve been around the world in 80 days.

“But we’ll see how things go over the next few months. Everyone knows the club’s main priority at the moment is survival and stability in the Premier League. Once we have achieved that, then we can start thinking about what the future holds.”

Meanwhile, Pardew himself has been speaking of Carver’s re-appointment at the club, and how he has a key role with the Magpies. He also alluded to Carver’s previous role under Robson, saying:

“You can’t disguise the link with Sir Bobby and JC – and nor would I want to.

“He was here alongside Sir Bobby during those great years. And those are the years that we want to bring back.”

Pardew then continued on the trust Carver has amongst the fanbase, adding:

“The fans can trust him with the team because he is Newcastle United through and through.”

He then concluded:

“I wanted to take my time. But John Carver fits in perfectly with what we have here – I couldn’t think of anybody better.

“He was the first person that we offered the job to, despite all of the names.

“There are various reasons why we did that.

“But once JC left Sheffield United, he was the obvious choice.”

I’m pretty sure that the fans would agree in wanting to wish John Carver every succcess on his return to the club he has supported, and served since his youth.

NUFCBlog Author: workyticket workyticket has written 1055 articles on this blog.

1. lets just hope everything works out for the good of NUFC.
    Welcome back JC. Now lets get ready to rumble.
    HWTL :D

2. Mick G says:
    January 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm

“Smith out for season,Carrol out for another 2-3 weeks and Gosling suffers a set back marvellous.”

And Routledge’s off to QPR. Let’s hope that Barton doesn’t get knacked, Mick.

3. icedog says:
    January 20, 2011 at 2:45 pm

“and a good choice imo”

His appointment to be unanimously well received, Ice. Besides being a good choice though, I definitely think that Pardew will see this as a further step in getting the fans onside.

4. WORKY only thing i dont get on it is ashley going for it with him being close to k.k.i dont see ashley being a forgive and forget type of guy

5. Yeah expect everyone`s relieved to see Carver back, had hoped he would be offered the job.

Would like to see him arrive, as I believe he has the potential to be one of the best attacking midfielders in the EPL.
    Yeah we know he marches to a different drumbeat and has the rep. of being hard to handle, but i have seen him play some great games at Citeh and believe if given the right circumstance, could be a great addition to the side.
    And ticks all the boxes, age wise etc.
    And while we are at it, would`nt mind bringing his team mate Dunne in also, could replace Campbell and give us a an ability to strengthen the side with two quality players.
    Well probably not gonna happen but would`nt be a bad idea.

6. icedog says:
    January 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm

“WORKY only thing i dont get on it is ashley going for it with him being close to k.k.i dont see ashley being a forgive and forget type of guy”

Divven’t knaa Ice. I’m gossiping and speculating wildly here, but I think that Carver was always closest to Robson, who, despite the wishful thinking of some fans, Keegan didn’t like. He didn’t even have a good word to say for him when he died, probably because of all that fuss over being dropped from the England team. As for Ashley and Pardew, as I mentioned above, it’s an excellent way of getting the fans further onside with the gambling buddies.

7. Too many players leaving the squad or being out through injury or suspension leaving us worryingly very thin on the ground, surely they have got players coming in?

8. Chuck says:
    January 20, 2011 at 3:13 pm

“On another note, read there`s a possibility we may get Steve Ireland on loan from Villa,.”

Aye Chuck, but when are we going to be linked with a good left back?

9. it’s nice to see the fans have an ally in there,to make sure that lounge lizard pardew,doesn’t get too out of line.if nowt else he’s good in a chair throwing crisis.

10. icedog says:
    January 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm

“got a canny l/b in young fergie imo”

Aye Ice, I agree that he has potential, though I have to admit that I don’t know much about how he’s been coming along recently. However he’s very short of experience at the highest level.

11. WORKY agree but played v.well against cheasea,seen him couple of times for ressie,could be we have to pick and chose which games we play him to get that exp.

ssn reporting injury set-back to gosling,hope it doesnt relate to old injury :(

12. WORKY
    The thought of seeing both Ireland and Ben Arfa to-gether in a side playing with skill and verve is a very attractive thought.
    And yes you`r right, we need a backup for El Toro, but I think Ferguson is a bit lightweight.
    Certainly he is an emerging talent, but needs to bulk up and be given time if he`s going to play in defense.
    I think he was originally a winger and if employed in that role, like Moyes has converted Coleman at Everton, he may be more effective and we could use a backup for Jonas.
    Seems Simpson has improved considerably this season and has added a bit of offense to his game.
    All in all, seems thing`s could be a hell of a lot worse and hopefully we can continue the rebuilding process, one by one, adding a bit of quality here and there.

13. Also read where El Toro could be a target for Fergie, seeing Evra is probably on his way to Real Madrid this summer.
    He is certainly playing well (El Toro)and would`nt surprise me to see him capped for Spain in the near future.
    In which case it may be in our interest to have our scouting system checking out possible replacements, as we need backup in any case.

14. Chuck I can’t believe anyone would suggest signing Dunne, have you seen him play recently, well past it imo.

Rather keep Cambell! Or even get Kadar back.

15. Interesting seeing Carver mentioning CH have a picture of SBR in his office. Shows he had the right feelings for the job,I know it’s water under the High Level now but it irks even more the way he was sacked.

16. Grumpy old-toon

No I hav`nt seen him play untill the last Villa game, that`s because he has`nt been getting games with that genius Houllier about to get the side relegated.
    And you can believe i suggested signing him and i can`t believe you think either Kadar or Campbell is better.
    This is a guy who won the players player four times at Citeh, so it`s your opinion against the former Citeh team, is it ?

17. Grumpy
    As for Hughton having a picture of Sir Bobby in his office, does that surprise you ?
    Fact is Chris. Hughton was a very smart guy, we were lucky to have him when we did and in turn was treated like s**t,for his pains.

18. Well it looks like Smith is out for the rest of the season , pity because thats buggered any chance of selling him . Hope Ireland is brought in , when in form he is a fantastic player .

19. chuck get over clueless chris man hes gone end off,weve all seen what happens too any 1 who jumps into bed with fat ash

20. batty says:

“chuck get over clueless chris man hes gone end off”

He helped the 2009 squad, when all was shite coloured at SJP, to rehabilitate and take on the CCC with gusto. Many other so called managers might have got it wrong but he brought us back with a minimum of fuss and a lot of style. For that we should all always be grateful.

God bless CH :)

21. It will be the big chance for Guthrie and Gosling after Smith injured. Show us how good you are. HWTL !

22. Too late to get Routledge back ?

Oh Wayne we made a mistake and you are the best right winger at SJP (Today).

23. “Too late to get Routledge back ?

Oh Wayne we made a mistake and you are the best right winger at SJP (Today)”

Twas only me being cynical. There was not much enthusiasm in my reuqest :)

24. Chuck all I can say is is that if he was rated their best player for 4 seasons then the rest were a real motley crew. Sorry to disagree but all the times I have seen him play (admittedly with the odd exception) he has never impressed me, but as you say I’m not a coach or an ex team member, still wouldn’t want him for us even on a free, just my opinion though. ;)

25. “WE’LL SEE HOW THINGS GO”

the womanizer has a 5.5 year contract.

jc has a 6 month contract.

– my shillings on johnny still being here long after the – snide – gets uninstalled.

26. Roy Cropper says:
    January 20, 2011 at 8:14 pm

“the womanizer has a 5.5 year contract.”

Roy, why do you seem to be more concerned with him being a womaniser, rather than a third rate manager? Are you worried that he’ll run off with Hayley?

27. worky – there’s summit aboot this bloke a just dont like & i agree he’s just a 3rd rate manager.the likes of batty & co who are snuggling up his arse will soon change their minds when it starts going tits up.

28. AndyMac says:
    January 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm
    batty says:

“chuck get over clueless chris man hes gone end off”

Sorry Batty although I wasnt CH’s greatest fan I wouldnt ever class him as clueless and neither should you.<<<< well andy i will call him what i want thanks ,if it upsets you tuff

29. the – co – being the likes of – i love mike – ya knaa worky the soft lad you were constantly correcting & has never been seen since toonsy opened his own site.

evening batts..

30. Roy Cropper says:
    January 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm
    worky – there’s summit aboot this bloke a just dont like & i agree he’s just a 3rd rate manager.the likes of batty & co who are snuggling up his arse will soon change their minds when it starts going tits up.<<<< you sure your not cluelesses love child?

31. What I’m scratching my head at is all the players we’ve been linked with are only for loans. Is that all we are getting?
    The Stephen Ireland rumour is because Villa are after Charlie Adam for £4m from Blackpool.
    Why aren’t we in for Adam instead of Ireland?

If we are serious we should look at Adebayor – He’s being allowed to go for around £9m apparently. That is seriously cut price for him.

We have a team that is nearly there and it seems that we aren’t willing to push on and strengthen more.

I thought Ashley would have backed his man. Seems it doesn’t matter who you are Ashley still won’t open his wallet.

32. Forgot to say a certain Gusieppe Rossi is currently worth around £20m.
    Didn’t we have an option on him while he was here?

33. Yeah i guess it`s time to give over with Hughton, but i still cant get over the cold way he was used then told to pack his bags.
    But the real affrontary was to replace him with the fast talking would be con job that is Pardew.
    Lets see how Ashleys plan works out, got a feeling he screwed up big time on this one.
    I mean what was he thinking when he figured Pardew was the answer, hey! makes you wonder ?

34. Errrm Micky toon,you really believe Adam is a better player than Ireland, Guess you and Houllier think alike, thats why he took a sixth or seventh place team to a team struggling to avoid relegation, and screwed up Liverpool, a real judge of football talent

35. I haven’t seen anything this season to suggest otherwise chuck.
    Charlie Adam is a brilliant talent.

36. Chuck says:
    January 20, 2011 at 8:59 pm

“Guess you and Houllier think alike, thats why he took a sixth or seventh place team to a team struggling to avoid relegation, and screwed up Liverpool, a real judge of football talent”

Chuck, to be fair, he was excellent in his early years at Liverpool and won four or five trophies (including the Uefa Cup and Super Cup) with them until he suffered with a dissected aorta, which is a very serious thing indeed.

After that he wasn’t quite the same but he still won the League Cup and got them straight back into the Champion’s League after narrowly failing to qualify (5th) in 2003. He then went to France and won two Ligue 1s and two Champion’s Trophies on two years. He also won another Ligue 1 early in his career with PSG and was a major figure behind France’s World Cup win as their technical director.

With all due respect, your assessment of him is very harsh and he’s hardly even started with Aston Villa. I really don’t think that they will get relegated. As for Ireland, whatever his merits or otherwise as a player he was a problem at Manchester City and he has also been a problem at Aston Villa.

37. anyone in the three bulls before the game on saturday? travelling up from reading tomorrow and will be going to the game

38. The fat man will not release any cash to buy or wages for loan forget about new signings this transfer window including Ireland. We`ll get by with what we`ve got!

39. Micky,

Just to let you know, my webmail server seems to be down at the moment so I haven’t been able to read any messages there. Hopefully it will be back up soon.

40. Yo Batty. Dont give a monkeys what you call CH if you notice I said “and neither should you”

Which is not the same as “Oi Batty you Bell End DONT call CH clueless”

See there’s a whole heap of difference between the two :)

January 20, 2011 at 9:36 pm

“Micky,

Just to let you know, my webmail server seems to be down at the moment so I haven’t been able to read any messages there”

It’s ok now, I’ve just found another way in through the back door.

42. Worky

It’s ok now, I’ve just found another way in through the back door.

Sounds a bit limp that mate!!

43. tom tomb says:
    January 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm

“Worky

It’s ok now, I’ve just found another way in through the back door.

Sounds a bit limp that mate!!”

Tom, no double entendres intended there, honest! My webmail login is knacked at the moment, but I know that there’s a secret, alternative login page that most people don’t know about, so I sneaked in that way. ;-)

44. Worky!

Ah knew what you mean’t mate, hey the french sounded good there though!

Lets hope we have some good news tomorrow at the club, it is racking up against us the last few days!

45. ‘arry’s just got Pienaar indoors…what price us getting Kranjcar…even buying at the right price, but at least on lern for rest of season…dunno, just a funny feelin.

Nee nighthawks about tonite ?

46. My prediction for this weekends game is that we will have 11 players starting the game. Smith is out so we might even finish with 11 and a win.

Harper in goal with 10 others will form the team.

Now for the lottery numbers!!

47. Don’t suppose many have heard this crack, but apparently Pardew’s got two illegit half brothers…

Johnny and Gerrard Depp…

Soz lad’s…p*ssed and bored…;0)

48. Wimbledon Mag says:

“Here’s a link to his client list… take your pick!”

Wow that guy must be busy fending off all those offers for his stable of quality players !

49. According to you he said ‘Could be BIG news for NUFC fans today’. Pretty sure JOS doesnt come into that category, nor for that matter do any of his clients :).

50. How lads.

Im just wanting thoughts on a few things please?

Why is it all starting to feel like a bit of a cover up re carroll’s injury. By the sound of it he’s gonnanbe injured throughout the transfer window. Something doesnt add up to me.

Also, this interview pardews gave this morning, its as tho there is absolutely no money to spend and he’s practically begging? You would think an owner might reward his manager and players for the progress this year and take advantage of a poor league to possibly finish well.

It sounds like we aren’t getting anyone anytime soon. Also pardew has said something like theres no chain of contact in the. It’s upto him by the sound of it. Is tht good or bad?

Just when i was beginning to feel excited about the 2nd half of the season. God knows why we havent been in for …. Carew, babel, ba, sessegnon, jarvis even.

Ps. Will bartons ex man city team-mates want to play with him after some of the things he done while there? Just a thought.

51. DarloToon says:
    January 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm

“You would think an owner might reward his manager and players for the progress this year and take advantage of a poor league to possibly finish well.”

You mean like he did with Hughton, Darlo Toon? :-)

52. From that list, didn’t we have Oguchi Onyewu on loan a while back?

It might not even be one of his clients, it could be someone else altogether. These people all talk amongst themselves.

Where’s good old David Craig when you need him? :lol:

53. Can’t see Dempsey or Salcido leaving Fulham or Rodwell leaving Everton. They are the three I’d like us to get!

So it is flying pig time again. :)

54. Micky Toon says:
    January 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm

“From that list, didn’t we have Oguchi Onyewu on loan a while back?”

Aye Micky. Like Thomasson, he wasn’t good enough for Newcastle, so he went to a lesser team called AC Milan. He got badly injured there was out for a long time, got better, throttled Ibrahimovic in a training ground bust up, then moved out on loan to FC Twente in the Netherlands.

55. “Aye Micky. Like Thomasson, he wasn’t good enough for Newcastle, so he went to a lesser team called AC Milan. He got badly injured there was out for a long time, got better, throttled Ibrahimovic in a training ground bust up, then moved out on loan to FC Twente in the Netherlands”

OK so your version WT suggests we were at fault but he moved on to Milan. Whereas the truth is (as you well know but forgot to mention) he was crap but he went back to Liege and played for almost two seasons and made a name for himself albeit in THE BELGIAN LEAGUE.

So Milan took a punt on him, bought him but he hasnt played a game for since he signed and he got shipped out to Twente for twatting Ibrahimovich.

The moral of this story is that if you omit certain facts, it helps when telling a tale :)

56. “Like Thomasson, he wasn’t good enough for Newcastle, so he went to a lesser team called AC Milan”

I’ll lighten up WT when you cut the misinformation crap, after all you’re not moonlighting down at the Chronicle or are you ?

Gooch wasnt good enough for NUFC and the Premier League so he went back to the Belgian League before Milan decided to take a punt on him and judging from events they were wrong as well ????

57. Not getting at you specifically WT but just at the whole spectre of lazy journalism, not that you’re officially a journalist :)

I read so much bullshit in the media about clubs, players and management and I know 95% of it is just bull made up by lazy journo’s cutting and pasting because they cant be bothered to do their real job.

58. AndyMac says:
    January 21, 2011 at 7:49 pm

“Not getting at you specifically WT but just at the whole spectre of lazy journalism, not that you’re officially a journalist”

Andy, with all due respect, it was a piece of banter in the comments section of a ‘blog, not a piece of “journalism”.

59. and I’m about to go out so this is it….

“Aye Micky. Like Thomasson, he wasn’t good enough for Newcastle, so he went to a lesser team called AC Milan”

So what does that statement imply to all your readers ???

I’ll tell you what it doesnt imply. Gooch went from NUFC back to Belgium where he played for two seasons then got signed by AC Milan who never played him and moved him out on loan to Twente Enschede.

Its not the same thing and you know it !!!! End of. I’m off :)