Blackburn Rovers v Newcastle United match preview

Posted on February 11th, 2011 | 159 Comments |

Blackburn Rovers v Newcastle United 12th February 2011
Destination Ewood Park on Saturday
Newcastle United are off to Ewood Park on Saturday to take on Blackburn Rovers.

Both teams are on 31 points but Newcastle are one place higher thanks to goal difference (and we have a match in hand).

Blackburn have lost their last three games in all competitions and that, coupled with the confidence our 4-4 comeback against Arsenal should instill, should mean that we’re in with a chance of at least one point and possibly even all three from the fixture, despite our fairly dismal record against Blackburn over the years.

The good news for us is that niggling injuries to both Nile Ranger and Leon Best are expected to be healed and Cheik Tiote came through his midweek international unscathed. Unfortunately neither Steven Taylor nor Stephen Ireland will be fit in time and longer term injuries keep Ryan Taylor, Dan Gosling, Alan Smith and Hatem Ben Arfa in the treatment room.

New, short-term signing Shefki Kuqi may put in an appearance and will probably at least be on the bench.

Blackburn have injuries to defenders Phil Jones and Gael Givet but Roque Santa Cruz is reportedly likely to pass a late fitness test. Blackburn’s new signings Mauro Formica and Ruben Rochina are thought to be a few weeks away from first-team football although it’s just possible either or both could be on the bench.

Ahead of the game, Alan Pardew has stressed how important he thinks the next few games are:

The next four or five games are very important.

It’s a period of the season where we are all pretty tight together and over the next two or three games you are either going to get away from it and maybe fight for Europe, or you’re going to find yourself in a real dogfight.

It’s probably very dangerous to put a points figure on survival because it looks like being something of a freak season.

I know Sir Alex has come out and said what he thinks will win it, but even that is open to question and he’s the main man.

I wouldn’t like to put a figure on that, but it is important that we stay where we are and not get involved in that.

Talking specifically about the Blackburn game, Pardew said:

Blackburn are a side who do a lot of things in the game really well. They are well-drilled, have great players – which is the most important thing at this level – and there will be a tactical battle on the day.

And, referring to the effect the 4-4 against Arsenal has had on the squad, Pardew added:

Our squad’s been quite buoyant as you would imagine. The mood in and around the training ground has been great – almost better than a win.

In a way it said everything about the character in our group, and in your lifetime you could play another 200 or 300 games and not be involved in one like that.

However, it’s not something that’s the highlight of our season. It’s been and gone and it’s the next game for us now, which is a tough one as Blackburn are a good side.

Newcastle (from): Harper, Krul, Simpson, Perch, Ferguson, Enrique, Coloccini, Williamson, Campbell, Tiote, Barton, Nolan, Gutierrez, Guthrie, Vuckic, Richardson, Lovenkrands, Best, Ranger, Kuqi.

Blackburn (from): Robinson, Bunn, Salgado, Hanley, Nelsen, Samba, Olsson, Hoilett, Pedersen, Lowe, Andrews, Grella, N’Zonzi, J Jones, Dunn, Emerton, Diouf, Roberts, Kalinic, Santa Cruz, Benjani (maybe Formica, Rochina).

The match kicks of at 15:00 on Saturday. I’ve no idea who the scheduled ref is but presumably there’ll be one.

HWTL

NUFCBlog Author: Hugh de Payen I'm a baby-boomer of the punk rock persuasion, currently exiled in Somerset for crimes committed in a previous life where locals keep trying to poison me with something called 'scrumpy'. Hates sprouts, coat-hangers, Cilla Black, ornaments, Steven Seagull movies and 50 Cent (he's not worth 10). Hugh de Payen has written 634 articles on this blog.

1. “They play a different system to us, so it’s about us imposing ourselves on them. And although we are away from home that is very important – you take the philosophy that you are going to win, and that’s how we will approach the game.

“I don’t want another 4-4, thank you very much, but a good, positive performance is what I’m after.”

Pardew’s word are good and positive – can we expect the lads to play an attacking game…?

2. newcastle 2 – 0 blackburn.

and before sum1 talks abt 4-4 draw and what not. remember everton drawing 3-3 with Manu and getting beat by us next game. so purely on personnel not on that stupid thing called momentum.

3. I hope NUFC continues to attack through Jonas & Enrique and they take some fizzzing low shots so NUFC gets some rebounds and corners out of the effort.

And let’s hope AP has got Willo mentally settled so we get the best out of the back line.

4. Pedro

Taking a risk putting your number in the public domain.
    You might get some of the strange guys off here pestering

5. If there are a few bloggers going to the game are you meeting up for a sherbert before the game?

6. CLINT nowts changed m8,one law for me another for you,its when we meet in the middle the truth comes oot :(

7. ‘Apparently the only reason they have not banned Ranger is because they could not single him out as Chris Smalling had also been allowed to miss his match without being checked.’

They hate us! Ever since the Ben Arfa thing and that letter they have singled us out repeatedly. Smalling and in total 24 england players! have pulled out, so why pick on us. This is now getting beyond a joke and to the point where it is becoming embarrassingly obvious what is going on. We are watching FA!

8. DJG says:
    February 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm (Edit)

“They hate us! Ever since the Ben Arfa thing and that letter they have singled us out repeatedly. Smalling and in total 24 england players!”

Yes, Sir John Hall :-)

Seriously though DJG, I don’t think that it’s just us. It’s just that there seems to be one rule for the big four / five / six teams and one for the rest, and Smalling belongs to one of those. Remember Wolves and Blackpool with the “fielding an understrength team” joke? There are other things too.

9. WORKY thing that bugs me about the whole F.A./PREM set up is,nobody seems able to change nowt and get a fair system in place

10. Sometimes I think these football organisations simply like to flex their muscles for the sake of it, as some sort of justification for their existence.

Of course you don’t do that against a big, powerful top 4 side.

11. worky the way I see it, they are like the slimy middle men/ con men/ ex,ex, ex pros who like to stick their oar in and have a bit play. They target clubs where they feel comfortable doing so and they would have here. Then it is as if one of them has said to the other two in an office, wait a minute that would be too obvious we can’t get Ranger this time because we would have to ban these other ones aswell and one is one of Fergie’s lads. Is it that the system is corrupt and they should be sacked (who by) and replaced with officials who officiate EVERY club in the league, or are the top 4 managers in this country enjoying almost mob moss / rockstar like power that puts them above the laws of the many. I would suggest it’s a bit of both and their all as bent as a £15 note.

12. icedog says:
    February 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm

“WORKY thing that bugs me about the whole F.A./PREM set up is,nobody seems able to change nowt and get a fair system in place”

Ice, writing generally, and not in reference to NUFC in particular, I think that it’s an international business, and they want the teams who bring in all the revenue from overseas to succeed.

13. DJG says:
    February 11, 2011 at 8:37 pm

“worky the way I see it, they are like the slimy middle men/ con men/ ex,ex, ex pros who like to stick their oar in and have a bit play.”

DJG, I think it’s just the modern world in general.

14. well we are “just”fans at the end of the day with no power, we have to put up with it,good job we have the blog to get it out lol

15. ice, I think fans do have power – it’s just they’re never organised enough to use it.

Similarly the people of a country have power (Egypt being a current example) – it’s just rare that so many people stand together to oppose the ruling forces.

I’m beginning to sound like Citizen Smith here!

16. icedog says:
    February 11, 2011 at 8:47 pm

“well we are “just”fans at the end of the day with no power”

Ice, hate to sound cynical (as usual) but we are consumers of a product.

Hugh, BeeGuy, on the subject of Egypt, and veering off the subject of football for a second, the people of Egypt haven’t won quite yet. Mubarak may have gone, but his henchmen are all still there maneuvering.

17. True worky, although the fact that Mubarak went at all surprised me. I thought it might be another Gbagbo sort of thing with him simply refusing to leave.

18. Hugh de Payen says:
    February 11, 2011 at 9:19 pm

“True worky, although the fact that Mubarak went at all surprised me. I thought it might be another Gbagbo sort of thing with him simply refusing to leave.”

I think the Americans, and some of his own people pulled the plug there, Hugh.

I got £35.76 for “Where’s Bill Grindy Now?” BTW. Capitol Radio is at £23.00 ATM.

19. well i think we will draw tomoro.
    On a different note i’m sure there are a few bloggers happy that clueless didnt get the brom job, as it would have been a bum squeaking game when we put them down on the last game.
    I guess clueless isnt as good in others eyes as a lot of the fans thought he was, or im sure he would have been in a job by now

20. Not bad. I really must get up in the loft and see what vinyl I’ve still got. I used to buy a lot of stuff on import from obscure German bands (remember Xmal Deutschland or Einsturzende Neubauten?). Can’t remember if I still have it. I doubt it’s worth much anyway but I’ll bet there aren’t that many copies of it left on vinyl.

21. Toonarmy says:
    February 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm

“well i think we will draw tomoro.”

They’ve lost their last three, Toonarmy, but you may be right. As for Hughton, maybe he’s just waiting for the right job.

22. nowt rang with citizen smith along with the likely lads lol,

loved a bit of in sickness and in health,not being racist like

hugh,so fans have no power as we would never get even a 70% “stay” away to force changes

23. Hugh de Payen says:
    February 11, 2011 at 9:36 pm

“I used to buy a lot of stuff on import from obscure German bands (remember Xmal Deutschland or Einsturzende Neubauten?).”

Aye, I used to like a bit of “Test Department” on the Industrial side. I seem to recall that they played at one or two of my parties back in the ‘nineties.

24. icedog says:
    February 11, 2011 at 9:42 pm

“nowt rang with citizen smith along with the likely lads lol,”

Ice, There were nee Geordies in the Likely Lads though, apart from James Bolam. That title sequence bit at the beginning of “Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads” always brings back memories for me. Do you know the bit I mean? Where the old Geordie houses are all coming down and the new towerblocks down Elswick way are all there in the background?

For some reason (I found this out later) loads of lads my age (including myself) used to fancy Terry’s sister, Audrey.

25. icedog says:
    February 11, 2011 at 9:42 pm

“loved a bit of in sickness and in health,not being racist like”

Do you remember “Love Thy Neighbour”, Ice? They get completely radged about that one now, but as I recall it, it was actually anti racist.

26. Ice, I think that’s about it. I think people (or fans) do have power – it’s just that it’s rare (particularly in the West) that they’re ‘collective’ enough to wield it.

Worky, Aye, I remember Test Dept – Vic Reeves played for them. I sometimes think I’m the only person that remembers some of these bands when I’m talking to most people about music, but clearly there’s an undercurrent of us lurking around blogs like these!

Remember The Freshies? With Chris Sievey aka Frank Sidebottom and that chap from The Cult? They played my mate’s 18th birthday at a club in Manchester.

27. i dont think hoots would be too fussy as he is pretty new to the managment malarky,
    As for hodgson he might have been more desprate but i dont think he would have been as cheap as hooters

28. WORKY aye i remember that scene well,audrey was “hot” for a few,went right off j.bolam seen a few interviews with him he does nowt but rubbish the north-east

29. Big Dave says:
    February 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm

“Worky batty said he has tried to get on here a few times but he cant get on, is he banned ?”

No Dave, he isn’t banned.

He had one comment automatically held for moderation by the blog for using the “f” word recently, but that’s about it. I haven’t even thought about banning him.

30. icedog says:
    February 11, 2011 at 9:57 pm

“WORKY aye i remember that scene well,audrey was “hot” for a few,”

Sheila Fearn, that’s it! I was only a bairn really, Ice, but I had a bit of a “crush” on her. I didn’t realise until later that most other people my age who watched it were much the same for some strange reason. Know what you mean about James Bolam.

31. never have and never will be racist,from being a kid ive loved a laugh if anybody should winge about being “put down”it should be the irish,they have been beaten over the head with a stick by everyone “for a laugh”dont think they give a sh@t either

32. workyticket workyticket says:
    February 11, 2011 at 10:12 pm (Edit)

===

My 70’s crush was Debby Harry I’m afraid. We were going to be married. She didn’t know it like, but those were my plans.

33. Big Dave says:
    February 11, 2011 at 10:12 pm

“worky he says he cant even get onto read on his laptop, so it must be his laptop. I will tell him to try turning it on”

:lol:

I thought for a moment that he might have been playing silly buggers pretending to be someone else, but then I realised that no-one’s been banned since he was last on here making comments.

34. Hugh de Payen says:
    February 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm

“My 70′s crush was Debby Harry I’m afraid.”

Divven’t start on Debbie Harry, Hugh. Do you remember her arse?

35. Hugh,
    i remember all those bands you mentioned mate.

& i knew vic reeves when he was know as Desmond chin & rod the mod.

The word on CH & wba was that they couldn’t agree on ‘bonuses’ if he kept ’em up.
    Which sounded unusual for a CH story, unusual enough for me to actually consider believing it.

36. well i always rated that pederson not a bad player,maybe someone toon should look at as imo jonas will go in the summer,dont know the lads age like

37. CLiNT FLiCK says:
    February 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm

“worky,
    was there another part of DH?”

The big question for me was who had the best arse? Debbie or the blonde lass out of Abba?

38. Worky, I remember every inch of Debs, arse included! I’ll tell you who my early 80’s crush was too – actually I forget her name without Googling – the dark haired girl in Just Good Friends. Well, her and Jennifer Beals.

Clint, clearly the NUFC blog-following, Geordie, post-punk-and-obscure-band club is alive and well!

39. Hugh de Payen says:
    February 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm

“actually I forget her name without Googling – the dark haired girl in Just Good Friends.”

Whatsername? The main one who played “Penny”, Hugh?

40. worky,
    BTW, congrats on the tv personalities single, that’s a decent price, yea?
    I was watching it, but didn’t wanna go above £30.
    CR should go for more.

41. worky havent been able too get on for aboot 4 or 5 days on my laptop ,so dave told me too try another ,so iam on me daughters :lol: cant belive i didnt think of it,what could ot be?

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm (Edit)

====

My mate would have kicked both of them out of the sack for Kate Bush. Obsessed he was.

I meam, yeah, she was okay. Particularly in that Babooshka video. But nowt up against Debs or Anna-Frid.

43. worky/hugh,
    Patti Paladin, friend of Lydia Lunch/Johnny T/Chrissie Hyde.
    She was drop dead, with legs all the way up to ….
    Cool 70’s chick & total R’n’R.

DH over any abba lass every time, the music has to count for something, call me a purist.

February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm (Edit)

Whatsername? The main one who played “Penny”, Hugh?

===

Aye, that’s it. Curiosity got the better of me and I Googled. Jan Francis it was. There was just something about her I liked.

45. ice,
    not saying he ain’t a decent player ‘n all that, but, he cheated us with a hand ball in the dying mins, tried to get Beye sent off, goaded JB into losing it, i’m sure there was another one too, …anyone?

46. CLiNT FLiCK says:
    February 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm (Edit)

worky/hugh,
    Patti Paladin, friend of Lydia Lunch/Johnny T/Chrissie Hyde.

====

Aye, remember the name and the Johnny T/NYD link but I can’t for the life of me picture her now. I’ll have to Google (again).

47. CLiNT FLiCK says:
    February 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm

“DH over any abba lass every time”

Just check out that Swedish arse, Clint, honestly.

My mate used to record in Abba’s studios in Sweden.

48. Later ice,
    how mate, i’d have him playing for us mate.
    Draw?

Hugh,
    tell us what y’come up with mate.

worky,
    ah, nice piece & principles oot the winda.
    I admit she was canny like.

49. Yep, it is. Just researched that. I didn’t make that connection for some reason – my brain’s getting on a bit Clint!

50. Hugh,
    was she in flying lizards?
    Wow!
    Didn’t know that like.
    Great version of ‘summertime blues’.

Little known Girl, but beautiful in her day.
    & tres cool.

51. Mind you, the Lizards weren’t exactly ‘prolific’ and not a band I know well.

In the late 70’s I kind of did the mainstream punk thing and then veered off into more ‘undeground’ punk bands and kind of the pre-electronic/new wave stuff (although I never liked ‘new wave’ when it became popular!).

I’m odd like that (in terms of most people) I like music to be ‘raw’, which I suppose is why I prefer early stuff from most bands.

52. Hugh,
    i’m pretty much the same mate.
    Soon as it gets ‘popular’, i’m off.
    There’s the odd exception like.
    Do like the ‘industrial underground’ stuff too, nice & opaque & too hard for the straights to like.
    Awkward get that i am.

53. Yep, I certainly used to like ‘industrial’, particularly with the German bands I mentioned earlier. Most people I hung around with in those days just didn’t get it the same way. Mind you, I like The Fall and my wife (for example) just can’t see the slightest appeal in them.

These days I’m a bit out of touch, musically. When John Peel died I think a bit of my music listening did too.

54. Mind you, my wife is not the best example to draw comparisons with. She likes just about the exact opposite to me: her 70’s listening was Donny Osmond, Child, David Cassidy and whatnot. It’s hard to get more opposite to my punk tastes than that!

55. I totally concur Hugh,
    JP was ‘godlike’ that’s for sure.
    I would suggest you check out (Strangely) Stuart Maconi doing his ‘freakzone’ & ‘freakierzone’, Radio 6 sunday early eve & Friday late, if y’not aware of them already, that is. Good mixture of old & new weird shit that you may dig.

56. You’re the second person to recommend Stuart Marconi to me, so I might check that out.

I suppose I shouldn’t be too critical of my wife’s music tastes. The first stuff I remember liking was stuff like Herman’s Hermits, Scaffold, The Monkeys, Slade, Sweet etc. But I have an excuse for that – I was very young and it was before I developed any music taste of my own.

In 1976 I was given a battery radio for my birthday (and I would be 13 then) and I discovered the John Peel show under the bed covers (I was supposed to be going to sleep so I had to hide it from my parents). Back then he was playing a lot of Bowie, T Rex, Ferry and whatnot but punk rock ‘broke’ in this mass of raw sound and I was just stunned and, soon after, hooked.

57. Hugh,
    i saw Maconi doing the rounds as a ‘celeb’ talking head on best of…tv shows & thought he was a total **** for ages, then one sunday i was bored & tuned into his show on Rad 6, by mistake, not realizing it was him, & the rest, as they say is history.
    So, i had to take back some of (no, all) what i’d said/thought about him.
    If i’d known it was him, i probably wouldn’t have tuned in in the first place, like a ****.

Rodecles,
    wha’cheor marra?

58. Clint, I’m really stretching my memory here but do you remember an Irish radio station that used to play loads of punk stuff? It used to start at midnight, just after the John Peel show in about 78/79. I can remember getting up for school very tired the next day!

Rod, how old are you? Just curious as to whether all this punk blather is lost on you.

59. Alreet hugh, I turned fawaty last April.

Well familiar with the old 77 onward punk/new wave/skinhead/ska kind of mallarky.
    ..can remember hearing ‘Geno’ one morning and thinking that sounds goos, but, shit, I’m not a mod! Or whatever the jippos tornd oottibee

60. Hugh,
    don’t remember that mate.

Wonder what it was?

Anyhoo, i’m off for some shut eye right about now, stuff to do the morra.
    Nice one Hugh, top craic mate.
    Later.

Rod,
    ziggerdy, zaggerdy zoom.

61. …travelled through little punk late 70s, skinhead soon as mi mam id lediz have one boot 81, Ska from then, then dance, then re-introduction to rock, thats it all went wrang.

!

62. Ah, well you’re aboot the same era as me and Clint then.

Ah divven knaa what Dexy’s were. Jippos is probably reet. I’m guessing they call themselves new wave though.

You still up in the north east Rod?

63. Kev Rowland started off in a punk band ‘The Kiljoys’-Johny won’t get to heaven is a classic.

‘It could be you, it could you, it could be , could you, could be you…’

Nite lads.

64. I’m not sure what a tw@ts arse is (something to do with American presidents?), but you’re probably right.

65. Just had to pay ‘Fluffy’ for her time (wife’s away). Thankfully I have ‘cakes’ as a safe word or it could have got dangerous.

66. So where are you Rod? Every job I’ve had has moved me further south so I’m now in Taunton. If it keeps on going this way I’ll be in Portugal in a few years.

67. I have moontins, well, hills at least. The Quantocks and Exmoor, whereupon there is a beast. A cat they reckon. Certainly not mine though.

What was the last thing Nelson said before his men got on the ship?

68. I’m watching some crap on the Horror Channel. ‘Animals’ it’s called, but don’t bother with it.

69. I simply don’t believe that a cat came out. I mean, what sort? Siamese, Persian?

I also don’t believe your bottom is big enough.

70. The process of sludging remains much the same today as it did 5000 years ago, although today’s large commercial factories are situated within badgers producing great quantities of furr much faster. It is basically the interlacing of two sets, warped and the weft.

Dig.

71. Look, if a cat came out of your bottom that means your bottom must have a four inch span, which – even if you have a very large bottom – I find hard to believe.

Furthermore, if you were in the habit of sprouting cats from your bottom I reckon the RSPCA would be after you.

Therefore, I rest my case on the basis that a cat has not emerged from your bottom this evening. Quad erat demonstrandum.

72. Hugh, am telling ye man, av just sh1t what looks like a tortoise shell tabby. Anli went upstairs fora p155.

Am taking it te the coppaz anyway, it looks weird.

73. tell you what, was just doing something today, and just in the middle of nowhere I thought “EH!?” , that ain’t no big chicken no-bad mama no.

74. Here kitty kitty…

Has anybody seen me cat, its a tortoise shell tabby and answers to the name of Shearer?