Newcastle United v Everton match preview.

Posted on March 4th, 2011 | 70 Comments |

Ben Arfa after his wonder goal against the Toffees
Ben Arfa after his wonder goal against the Toffees
Tomorrow’s match will see Newcastle at home facing an Everton side who have been somewhat erratic this season, recording two wins, two draws and two losses in their last six games. Then again, Newcastle have had their inconsistent spells too as they rebuild and reacclimatise to life back in the top tier of English football.

Newcastle do have a pretty good record against the “Toffees” in recent years though, especially at home, with Everton chalking up just two victries in the previous sixteen encounters between the sides at St James’s Park. The last one coming way back when Everton were under the management of Walter Smith!

This is no excuse for laxity though against a side who can be outstanding on a good day. A key player for Everton could be one of the most underestimated players in the Premier League. We may have he considerable talent of Jose Enrique at left back, however the Toffees have the equally outstanding Leighton Baines. Despite his defensive role, the full back has provided the assists for no less than 24% of Everton’s goals this season, a remarkable figure I think you’ll agree.

Looking back at the last game between these two sides though, that is probably remembered mostly for a goal from another remarkable player, one of our own this time. I am of course referring to Hatem Ben Arfa’s wonder strike at Goodison Park, which I have included a video of below.

Team News

Newcastle United

A masked Shola Ameobi may or may not be in the side. Manager, Alan Pardew has reported that the facial contraption designed to protect his cheekbone injury is restricting his vision slightly, and is causing some pain when he heads the ball. Over to Alan:

“Shola looks to be getting more comfortable with his mask and we think there’s a chance he could be involved,” the United boss revealed.

“I think the mask causes some problems in terms of pain when he’s heading the ball, but he looks like he’s coming to terms with that.

“In football players do play through pain – thay play through thigh strains and little aches and pains here and there. They’re playing through it all the time. You get hardened to that. So a little bit of pain in terms of pressure around his face isn’t going to hurt him.

“The most important thing that he’s finding is visually with the mask, because you can’t see (peripherally) sometimes and he’s finding that a little bit uncomfortable. But we hope, by Saturday, we’ll get around that.”

Pardew was also forthcoming about other injury worries in his interview. On other injury doubts, Stephen Ireland, who has yet to make his debut because he was carrying a knee injury when he joined the club, Pardew added:

“Stephen Ireland has come back; the injury he had when he arrived here has cleared up but unfortunately we think he might have a slight thigh strain. When you’re coming back from long injuries, you get these little pulls and little tugs which might just keep him out of the weekend, which would be a shame because he’s trained very, very well.”

Finally, Pardew’s attention switched briefly to Joey Barton, who injured his thigh in the warm up for our previous game against Birmingham. On Barton, Pardew concluded:

“Joey’s better than he was last week, so I would say both of those are 50/50.”

Finishing off the Newcastle side, Gosling, Ben Arfa and Smith with sit this one out as they continue their respective recoveries from long term injuries, but Danny Guthrie could well see a return to action after shaking off a hamstring problem.

Everton

Meanwhile, Everton and their manager, David Moyes,  have an injury controversy going on over midfielder, Marouane Fellaini. The player’s father, Abdellatif, criticised the club for playing him against the beastly Mackems, despite the fact that he picked up the injury initially in the game before that one. Fellaini is now ruled out for the rest of the season with an ankle injury which requires surgery.

Another important midfield player for them, Tim Cahill, will also be out for the game with a foot injury. However that seems to be about it on the Everton side.

Don’t forget that you can also catch up with the banter through our “match banter” feature, which will be published in the hour before the game kicks off.

Howay the Lads!

NUFCBlog Author: workyticket workyticket has written 1055 articles on this blog.

• No Related Posts

1. A scouse collegue has just said he believes Cayhill, Fallini and Saha all missing tomorrow!

Never a better chance to do another double!

2. Doug says:
    March 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm

“A scouse collegue has just said he believes Cayhill, Fallini and Saha all missing tomorrow!”

Doug, just answered that in the other post, and above in the match preview. I didn’t see any news about Saha though. Did you scouse colleague say anything about what was wrong with him?

3. No, He is an Evertonian and said he believed they would struggle without these three and they were missing the game….

4. On another tack here.
    If in fact we are to lose Enrique come summer, prhaps we should be lining up Izaguirre presently playing for Celtic.
    Apparently having an excellent season there and attracting interest from sides such as Arsenal and others in the EPL.
    He`s not unlike Enrique in the fact he`s an attacking player with pace and similar skills, a Honduran and should`nt cost a fortune.
    Still young @ twenty five (coming into his prime)and the fact Celtic are desperate to sign our young on loan goalie, could possibly help clinch a deal ?
    Check it out Pard.

5. WorkyTicket, Apparently Saha has a hamstring problem and has been unable to train.

Hearsay i’m afraid, but goos gossip!

6. I see where Pardner is talking about bringing in four or five, players this summer.
    Does this mean we are also going to get rid of some of the present squad ?
    Of course, whether or not from a sour grapes perspective, it appears KK thinks Pardner will not be getting the funding he expects, or nowhere near it in fact.
    Rumors are we could lose Joey, Pardew has remarked that negotiations are not going well.
    To lose both Joey and Enrique would be a big hit,is management crazy enough to lose this much talent, or perhaps it`s part of the overall plan and we have replcements waiting in the wings?
    It`s normal at this time of year for players to become associated with various other clubs, mostly rumors set by agents, either in order to encourage big raises or in fact induce transfers, with thinly disguised come and get me pleas.
    It will be interesting and say something about the clubs ambitions, when the summer window finally closes and we know who our squad consist`s of.

7. Craig
    There are others, SPL and when talking about clubs in both leagues, just distinguishes one from the other.
    But i will try not to annoy you with too many EPL`s.

8. Its ok chuck and i do not mean to offend but you are on the newcastle webiste mate… we all know that its in england. It reminds me that Americans call the Open the British Open. Same sort of thing.

9. Well I won’t be watching the game on the streams this time not after it gave me a virus last week! Take note if u don’t want your computer wiped like mine!

10. hey i was looking at the word you know chuck and knew i had spelt it wrong.. just could seem to bring myself to correct it. Thanks for that though. i spell sh!t wrong all the time. i just cant be ar5ed to change it ever. i will try harder.

11. So are we talking about the next game or the summer hear? Chuck and Craig, give it a rest. What’s to come will come. there’ nowt you can do about and bitching and moaning week in, week out is canny annoying.

12. and as your not my father i dont suppoase i will pay much attention to what you tell me to do either lol lol

13. Tripp
    Oh ! seem to be offending everyone to-day, please accept my un-sincere apologies, jerk !

14. Tripp says:
    March 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm

“bitching and moaning week in, week out is canny annoying.”

It’s what Newcastle United supporters do though, Tripp! :-)

15. tripp.. i have been on here since its conception arging the t@ss over all things newcastle. actually, no thats not true, i only argue over fat boy ashley. i have my main objectors and also lads that think like me about ashely. It would be sad dull world if we all agreed. Besides, liek worky said… this is newcastle man. You can go to the games very often mate cos all aroudn me all we ever do is moan when something goes wrong on the pitch adn thats a fact. We spend all game slagging of strolla then he scores a goal and we sing his name hahahah. this is newcastle.

16. Everton are struggling this season,a team in decline for lack of money, with an ageing stadium.
    If both liverpool clubs were not so stubborn they like the two Milan sides could save themselves a fortune by sharing a new stadium, but hey !
    Having sold their South african playmaker to Spurs they have to rely on Arteta, who is now not the player he was a couple of years ago.
    Apart from Rodwell and Coleman, not a lot of talent comming through the pipeline and in general an ageing side to match their stadium.
    Surprised Moyes has`nt jumped ship to a wealthier side, who knows perhaps he`s waiting for the opportunity to take over from Fergie ?
    With Saha, Fellaini and Cahill out, not much firepower available.
    Think we can complete the double, three points would be very welcome, but on saying that getting tougher by the game, with so many clubs trying to claw their way clear of the drop.

17. So Workey
    Whats the story ?
    What happened to Man Friday, he ever start his own blog ?
    For someone who lived on this blog, to suddenly dissapear has not gone un-noticed.
    Became something obsessive, IMO, but he was a decent wordsmith and no doubt missed, though not by all.

18. chuck says:
    March 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm

“So Workey
    Whats the story ?
    What happened to Man Friday, he ever start his own blog ?”

Aye, he started his own ‘blog, Chuck.

19. Toon_Factor says:
    March 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm

“Well I won’t be watching the game on the streams this time not after it gave me a virus last week! Take note if u don’t want your computer wiped like mine!”

Toon, did you have to download any plugins to watch it? And if so, which one?

20. I hate the thought of having to pay £32 notes to see Danny Guthrie play. I could go to my local park and see better. But at the moment its all we have. James Perch would be a better choice. Despite this weakness we will win comfortably.
    Then all the european chat will be the rage

21. chuck says:
    March 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

“Workey
    Ah well you had a good run .”

It took him quite a while to copy everything on this one, Chuck. :-)

22. Worky is cheap digs from you all Toonsy deserves after all he has done for you and the blog ?
    I knew you were shallow but that did surprise me.

23. Workey
    Yeah sh*t happens,have`nt seen his blog, nor want to, guys too intense and does`nt (like most of us)accept much in the way of criticism.
    Ah well !

24. My my. See the knives are out tonight :)

Good. At least I know I’m still in your thoughts.

Worky – Please compare Google now and see how dis-similar my site is now.

Craig – Cheers :)

Chuck – Stop lying. Everyone knows that if you go on the About>Site history menu there is a comment from yourself wishing me luck. No hard feelings from me marra.

Best regards

Toonsy

How are the donations going by the way? Did they pay for the free server change? ;)

25. Worky

No, I just clicked on one of the links someone sent in and as I was watching it, it said an unidentified something has accessed your account and infected some documents. Can’t remember exactly which sit it was but I’ve had to get everything totally wiped, so I’d be carful with these links because it’s not the first time it’s happened

26. Toonsy atlest now you know how well Worky thought of you, after keeping this blog going almost single handed for all that time ;)

Amount raised so far: £460.32
    Thanks to all who have donated!

Care to enlighten all the bloggers that donated then worky ?
    Oh and I know you have threatened to ban me on a few occasions before but I dont think asking what my donation went on warrants being banned ;)

27. The guy in the shop says football streams are one of the biggest causes of viruses too. But nobody’s said anything about a virus from it before, but I’m just no going to take the chance

28. Toon_Factor says:

“The guy in the shop says football streams are one of the biggest causes of viruses too. But nobody’s said anything about a virus from it before, but I’m just no going to take the chance”

If you are a genuine blogger TF then try http://www.comodo.com/ as a great free AV/FW program before downloading Sopcast. Then try the usual sources for streams.

PS. “Then try the usual sources for streams”, I’m always aware that “anti pirate” people masquerade as bloggers on these sites just to find out what’s going on.

29. Big Dave says:
    March 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm

“but I dont think asking what my donation went on warrants being banned”

Who banned you Dave? because I certainly didn’t. Anyway, if I did, what are you doing on here now?

30. FFC says:

“my team for tomorow- http://footballformation.co.uk/team/share.php?f=4411/040311214533.png

Always take the opposition into account before determining your own strategy. However Cahill isnt available and neither is Fellaini sowe should be capable of scoring more than the opposition providing we dont give up a place on the pitch by doing a “Taylor”

They’ll still go 4-4-1-1 or with variants

so we should counter that by stretching them and allow the midfield to gain the space left in the holes. Mind you Joey needs to be back.

31. Worky @ 47 didn’t take much to work out that I wasn’t banned.
    Hence why I said
    >Oh and I know you have threatened to ban me on a few occasions before but I dont think asking what my donation went on warrants being banned

32. @25 chuck, nice post. I’ve been here since the beginning too. I came here like everyone else when ed shut his blog down for a while. Been here ever since. I’m just not a frequent poster, though I do read the articles everyday. You’ve got to admit that you go on about the future (and generally in a negative way) quite a bit. I’m just asking you to give it a rest for bit.Save it ’til the summer man! Then we can all go insane together.

33. Big Dave says:
    March 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm

“Worky @ 47 didn’t take much to work out that I wasn’t banned.
    It was more me saying that as you would probably find it easier to ban me, I just dont think that asking a simple question would give you a good enough excuse to ban me rather than answer a question.”

You’ve lost me there, Dave. I think you’ve probably lost yourself too! :-)

34. @Andy Mac
    yeah the taylor sending off was so annoying, will be good to get barton back. jonas and enrique will find space down the left against anyone, they’ve got such a good parternship on that side now

35. Batty #40 yes I did
    Batty #42 f*ck you
    Andymac #41 I’m not taking any chances with anything if it’s not on tv then I’ll listen too it on radio

36. Worky to make it easier for you to understand and not get lost.
    If the server change was free what did the £460.32 of donations go on ? ? ?

37. Worky I asked the question @ 37 where it says >
    ( Well well well so if the server change was free what did the donations go on then ?)

38. evening all..i just got back from the big city of london in the last few days and thought i’d log on here for the latest news regarding the newcastle club .. it appears it’s the same old same old if i’m not mistaken.

i have been staying in the mayfair hotel on stratton street for some important business meetings …. as it happens ronnie wood and helen mirren were actually on same floor as myself and following a good chat after we bumped into each other in the lift we decided after freshening we should continue with our conversation in the mayfair bar….i was aware of recent speculation in the press that ron was on…the wagon…but i can confirm and in his own words … he has not … and has..no intention..of ever packing the drink in.
    after ron..helen and myself nearly drank the bar dry we moved onto the nobu restaurant where we nearly ate the table legs with hunger..it has to be said it is a very good restaurant…but very very expensive mind.

..as usual when i’ve had a few drinks i always turn the conversation onto the toon and as usual with everyone i speak with they seem to have a..soft spot..for the world famous black and whites..helen actually marked in her diary the 16th of april (man u game) and fully intends attending..no doubt i’ll be putting her up for that weekend.

what suprised me was when in the restaurant ronnie produced a polythene bag and filled it with the left over salad off our plates saying he mindful not to waste food and he is well aware of the thousands of homeless people throughout the country and he intends passing it onto one of the unfortunates! nice touch.

just one more thing that i was unaware of … but was pleasantly suprised at..is the two of them were sharing the penthouse suite .. yep their a couple and have been for the last two months apparently.

helen thanked me for a very good night and in return i’d now just like to wish her and ron all the very best for the future and look foward to meeting up again on the 16th of april.

i’m off now so good night and god bless.

39. anybody be watching the liverpool man u game for the spectacle its self or for you know who to make a complete fool of himself :)

40. Come on Newcastle… I believe Jonas will score 1st goal nd we will see a win ov 3-1 as we can neva keep that clean sheet. Leave ameobi out nd start ranger nd best nd wiv a bit luck barton will get on. Sam jacks is the place to be geordies thru nd thru.

41. No Joey apparently :(

Harper S Taylor Williamson Colo Enrique Simpson Nolan Tiote Jonas Best Lovenkrands

42. Everton: Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Osman, Neville, Rodwell, Arteta, Beckford, Saha.
    Subs: Mucha, Heitinga, Bilyaletdinov, Coleman, Anichebe, Duffy, Baxter.

43. You might be, have you even checked the official site?

I’ll save you the bother:

Newcastle United (4-4-2): Steve Harper; Steven Taylor, Mike Williamson, Fabricio Coloccini, Jose Enrique; Danny Simpson, Kevin Nolan (c), Cheik Tiote, Jonas Gutierrez; Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands

Subs: Tim Krul, James Perch, Michael Richardson, Danny Guthrie, Shane Ferguson, Shefki Kuqi, Shola Ameobi

Actually I’ll have to accompany you after all as I’ve also just noticed this on the site:

Shola Ameobi …. replaces Nile Ranger among the substitutes, with the youngster missing out through injury.

d’oh! :)

44. AndyMac says:
    March 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm

LS says:

“what the hell, ranger aint even on the bench!”

Off to specsavers LS ?

__________________________________

I think you need to be marra what with eight players on the bench @ 63 :razz:

45. Soz LS I was going by Lee Ryder’s team selection :(

Just goes to show that you should never trust the Chronicle :)