Is Jonas the latest in senior player cull at Newcastle?

Posted on June 21st, 2011 | 40 Comments |

Jonas Gutierrez.
Jonas: Another one on his bike?
Tyneside newspaper, The Journal, are claiming very confidently that Newcastle United’s Argentine wing wonder, Jonas Gutierrez, will be the latest in a series of senior players to be edged out the exit door at St James’s Park as the club are willing to “listen to offers” to use the Journal’s words.

If correct, this news would follow hot on the heels of Kevin Nolan’s exit to West Ham, the complete breakdown of contract negootiations with Joey Barton, Alan Pardew’s earlier admission that Jose Enrique may not be a Newcastle player next season and several other things as Mike Ashley’s Footballer Farm project gathers momentum. However at the time of writing, nothing official seems to have been confirmed by the club itself. However, Joey Barton dropped a strong hint on his Twitter page that he, Jonas and Jose Enrique would be the next to go after Nolan was sold to West Ham, however Barton later expressed that he would be staying at the club to see out his contract, interestingly using the hashtag “#bosmanruling”.

In all the general comings and goings at the club though, to say that the rotund retail mogul is taking another gamble would be an understatement, as stabilty and leadership takes second place to wheeling and dealing in the transfer market in an attempt to savagely reduce costs and improve the profitability of Newcastle’s transfer dealings.

Just as the club doesn’t seem to have learned the lesson that constantly replacing managers will not bring success, it also seems to eschew the wisdom that gradually introducing new players into an already settled side is preferable to a constant merry go round of in and outs, which could be a very risky proposition.

NUFCBlog Author: workyticket workyticket has written 1055 articles on this blog.

• No Related Posts

1. We’re in serious danger of having no squad understanding and that’s before we even get into the language barrier. Football might be universal but I’m sure these lads would like to know what their team mate is most likely to do rather than being caught out.

I can see a few games being an absolute embarrassment this season if it continues like this.

That said, nothing is official until it’s official.

2. Your right thump nothing is official until it`s official but I certainly hope that all of these rumours are wrong. You cannot change a team overnight and we are heading for disaster if we sell too many of the core players. A gradual change is fine but a cull is unacceptable.

3. Valencia is a huge talent. Still has a couple of years in him. I think he is Gutierrez’s replacement. Think about it we will get at least 5M for Gutierrez and get rid of his huge wages. Then we bring this guy on a free and on less wages, simples. It’s a win win situation for me as this player is much better than Gutierrez. Though ideally he would be signed to add depth and not too replace as he is older and injury prone.

4. `Lets not over react guys. currently we have sold ONE player and signed 3…. I dont understand how that could be a problem. Even if we loose Barton(which i hope we do) and Jonas and enrique I still think the squad will be better equipt to improve on last season. It is also very early in the window and the squad will have a full pre season together. How about for once you doom and gloom toon supporters try SUPPORTING the team………

5. Freddie shepherd says:
    June 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm

“A gradual change is fine but a cull is unacceptable.”

I wasn’t being quite so literal there by the way Freddie. Even for Ashley, clubbing them to death would be a tad excessive, though he may take that option with Alan Smith.

6. Sorry but 4 players from a squad is not a cull I would say its about what you would expect… as long as the players coming in are of a higher calibre

7. I can’t understand why the Journal et al are actually being given any sort of credibilty for this made-up drivel. It’s true that papers have to create headlines to get punters to buy them and when there’s no real news to report they have to revert to creating sensationalist ‘rumours from a source ….’ but all it really does is create resentment in the fan base towards Mike Ashley for something that he has not done and a mis-founded belief that we have no plan to improve.

2 bit hacks in the North East should either recognise that they have a regional responsibility to give our team(s) their support, or they should stop writing lies and mis-truths to coverup their own lack of reporting ability.

And as for a ‘mass exodus & rebuild’ unsettling the balance & team understanding … poppycock – KK did it in 93/94, one squad to get us up and establish in the Prem and then he rebuilt quickly with the addition of Ginola, Ferdinand, Gillespie etc and we seemed to do alright after that

8. Not a fan of Gutierrez, never will be. The only reason I’d want him to stay is because he has a good connection with Enrique and Colocinni. If he leaves surely they would spit there dummys out and follow (even though Enriques already leaving) in all fairness he stayed with us through relegation but I’d happily say addios to him. Even though it’d be good for him to stay for squad depth! If we bring someone like N’Zogbia (highly doubtful since he’s a greedy git) or Barnetta, I wouldn’t even think Jonas would be thought about. He has the ability to take people on but has no finishing product. Not what we need if we’re aiming for top 8? He also has the IQ of a frog.

9. Not that upset to see Jonas go…..he has the final touch of gary glitter :lol:
    I have to say though the way I see it the philosophy under this regime is if there is a cheaper option do it.

Pardew is hardly falling over himself to spend the Carroll money is he?
    I can’t even see NUFC replacing AC with even a £10m signing to grace the Number 9 shirt….it is all well and good saying great if we can get x amount of £’s for such and such but will the sale of any player be fully invested back in the club?

After past windows under MA and whatever puppet he has installed at the time the answer is will he FOOK ;lol:

10. Andy B – Wise words fella. Some people have an agenda and that is to spout hatred about Ashley, Lamearse and Pardew no matter what they do.
    We could win the league, fa cup and Champions league and they would still be saying cockney mafia out, Pardew is crap, etc…

I’ve said it before, our current squad is good enough for a lower table finish every year. If we need to push on we need to bring in more players, better players and get rid of the junk.
    I remember when we were promoted under Keegan and, like Andy said, he had a clear out. My favourite, David Kelly was cast aside like a used rubber johnny. I was gutted. He was brilliant for us in League 1/Championship, but not good enough for where we wanted to be, so he had to go.

The difference now is that back then it was Kevin “I can do no wrong” Keegan doing it.

11. JP – Another midfielder? Seriously? We are crying out for a striker.

Still think there’s a big surprise around the corner and we are just keeping our powder dry. Must be difficult with Alan “I think out loud all the time” Pardew.

12. Suppose I better comment on the topic. Aren’t the Journal banned from SJP along with The Chronic and The Sunday Sun?

If they are, how come they have this inside exclusive?

The papers make their stories up the same was Bobby Shinton does. They just put out as many stories as possible, covering all situations. Odds alone say they will be right at least once. That’s when they spout on about exclusives and how they told us this years ago.

13. Micky Toon says – I suggest you take a peek in you-tube or something on him because the young little fella is EXTREMELY TALENTED. Boudebouz is Better than Ben Arfa if not on par.

14. Micky Toon says:
    June 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm

“Suppose I better comment on the topic. Aren’t the Journal banned from SJP along with The Chronic and The Sunday Sun?”

The People’s Anal Oliver was banned, and the whole of the Fail / Fail on Sunday were banned too.

15. I think that if it was a cull, Enrique would not have been offered excellent terms to stay on. Letting go of Nolan made financial sense for him and a shrug of the shoulders and a handshake for us. If Jonas and Barton go, we will almost certainly find better replacements. I have little doubt that Ashley is seeking to have a more competent grip on the club which means making it financially viable (a lead which most other clubs will be forced to follow) and seeking European football. If Pardew is unable to get these new (quality) players to gel, he will be released in favour of a more experienced manager who can get the job done. I believe that NUFC are on the up.

16. Paul in Hollywood says:
    June 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm

“I think that if it was a cull, Enrique would not have been offered excellent terms to stay on.”

What were the details of his contract offer Paul? and where did you see them as I couldn’t find anything?

17. I think it’s safe to assume that Jose is waiting to see if a champs league team come in for him.
    I’m guessing he coulda gone to liverpoo by now?

If we’re gonna believe everything that AP is credited with saying by the the rags, then we have to believe EVERYTHING then, don’t we?

18. Clint, I think the human condition is such that we generally pick and choose what to believe to fit our pre-conceived ideas.

Discussions wouldn’t be half as much fun if we didn’t!

19. Rather than sack players off you just offer crap terms and they will sling their hooks soon enough.
    Fans will blame the player the club cream the dollars and replace with cheaper players and freebies whilst pocketing any spare change…..like £35million.

20. JP, not doubting what you say, just that we only seem to be looking at midfielders. That’s one area we seem to have covered. We don’t have a decent striker in the team at the moment.

21. The club won’t be ‘pocketing’ anything, it’ll be paying off it’s loan ’til it’s all square, then it can start creaming monies from transfers. Although then it’ll be using money made from transfers to buy players, won’t it?
    That’s how you buy & sell things, ain’t it?
    You can only ‘run’ a business at a loss for so long before creditors start really getting the hump & pull the plug.

22. sirjasontoon says:
    June 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm

“Rather than sack players off you just offer crap terms and they will sling their hooks soon enough.
    Fans will blame the player”

That bit is absolutely spot on SJT, especially with Newcastle United ATM. I’m not quite so sure about the rest, I suspect that Ashley would invest if he saw a good profit in it.

23. It has to be said – Jonas only managed 3 goals last season, the same as Saylor (who missed many fixtures)A DEFENDER!….And we’re looking at midfielders who score 8 goals (Boudebouz) or more,Taarbat – That sounds sensible to me.

the Core that should remain would be Colo/Saylor partnership at the back, and Tiote in midfield.

If BIG changes are gonne happen, then do it on mass – if they’re quailty players, they’ll soon gel.

Just think, if ur bird went for a nose job – she might look a bit better…If she got added tits the size of exotic fruit, ass tuck implants from Jessica Alba, perm tan gene-therapy, and hair woven out Mink – You’d f*ck her. Sideways.

24. I just think their is no real blueprint for success unless you measure success on bleeding a club of it’s talismen and constantly chopping and changing things,moving forwards then changing the blueprint again.

The money off Carroll was stated by Partridge that it would be reinvested in the squad…..well maybe it will be but we will raise another 35m by selling others.

MA is minted and if he can’t move this club forwards with sensible investment with a decent manager at the helm he should just sell the club and move on.

25. @elgalgojonasjonas gutierrez

Buenos dias, cada vez falta menos para volver a newcastle. Good morning, less days to return to newcastle.

26. Demba Ba arrived from German side Hoffenheim after first failing a medical at Stoke. While Tony Pulis called him a ‘ticking time-bomb’ West Ham stepped in and took a chance. Ba has been repaying that faith ever since.

Is he being overrated by some Toon fans?

27. Ba managed over 100 games in 3 years at Hoffenheim, so he couldn’t have had that many long spells out.

His record for them was 1 goal every 2.5 games, and better than 1 in 2 for West Ham in the latter half of last season. There’s a lot of much more expensive strikers who’d happily take that record before the season’s kicked off.

28. Bobby Shinton number 9 says:
    June 22, 2011 at 12:03 am

“While at Hoffenheim, Ba missed long periods of football with a knee injury and prior to the aborted transfer to Stoke, he also failed a medical at Stuttgart.

A Senegalese international, he averaged around a goal every three games prior to joining West Ham but since his move, he has found the net four times in his first four starts.”

Bobby, He scored 40 goals in 103 games, which is more than a goal every three games. He has missed quite a few games through injury in his last two seasons at 1899 Hoffenheim though.

29. sirjasontoon says:
    June 21, 2011 at 11:37 pm

“The money off Carroll was stated by Partridge that it would be reinvested in the squad”

SJT, you may have noticed that Pardew chose his words very carefully whenever he spoke of that. He always said “reinvested in the squad” or “go back into the club”. He never said that it would be spent on new player’s transfer fees. Most of it will go on salaries paid over the length of player’s contracts. ;-)

“Mike Ashley has made that commitment that the money will go back into the club, I’m sure 100% that he will and it’s my challenge to spend the money wisely.” – Alan Partridge.

30. No doubt, as I type this, you guys are all in the land of nod (It is 3:00 am BST after all) but Worky Ticket at 19, point taken. I’m “presuming” that he has been offered good terms but you are right, it could be all absolute guff.
    Hugh “the humourous articulate”, at 22 agreed also. I trust Jose was offered a decent wad – crikey, by most of our standards, they’re all offered a decent wad!; and Milner at 29, comments like yours at the end are a major part of why we read this stuff.

Lads, though I’m not a Geordie, I’ve been hooked on the Toon for 40 years and come what may, (which ain’t much) we just love the Toon and try – against all odds – to keep looking for the positives.

31. Paul in Hollywood says:
    June 22, 2011 at 3:09 am

“No doubt, as I type this, you guys are all in the land of nod (It is 3:00 am BST after all) but Worky Ticket at 19, point taken. I’m “presuming” that he has been offered good terms but you are right, it could be all absolute guff.”

Well, I wasn’t sure if you’d seen something that I’d missed Paul, though I do spend an inordinate amount of time poring over guff about the club! One thing I know is true is that there’s been alot of that coming out of Barrack Road recently, mostly through Alan Pardew, but sometimes through other sources too.

32. I read somewhere that Jonas tweeted, in response to loads of messages from Toon fans, he wants to stay desperately as he loves the Toon but not necessarily the Fatman :)

On a separate topic I note that Tozer has now been given the exit option after being touted as one of the finest at 17. Now Aaron Spears has also departed I’m wondering if the Academy is all that it should be ?

Last week on R5 David Pleat was arguing that the best coaches should ideally stay at junior level and be rewarded accordingly rather than gradually moving up the ladder to become assistants somewhere. Roeder, for example, was probably a better leader at the Academy than managing the First Team. So do we have the right people in charge of the juniors, I’m not so sure ?