Nottingham Forest vs Newcastle United League Cup match banter! (And competition update)

Posted on September 20th, 2011 | 200 Comments |

Nottingham Forest v Newcastle United, League Cup.
Third away trip in a row.
Venue: City Ground, Nottingham
Date: Tuesday, Sept 20th, 2011
Kick-off: 7:45pm
Referee: Lee Mason

Hello, good evening and welcome to NUFC Blog’s match banter feature for this evening’s League Cup encounter with Nottingham Forest at their place.

Forest have been struggling of late under former England manager and Dutch accent specialist, Steve “Wally with the brolly” McClaren, with the former double European cup winners languishing in the bottom three of the Championship table. However, before we get arrogant, it should not be forgotten that League One relegation candidates, Scunthorpe, really gave we Magpies a run for our money in the last round of this competition, with only an extra time goal separating the the sides in what was a very close contest. Don’t forget that for a more in depth look at the upcoming game, you can always check out Jimbob’s excellent match preview.

NUFC Blog Score Prediction Competition update

Still riding high in the £100 top spot, we have “Sir Jason Toon” on 44 points. However, as ever, “El Toro” is hot on his heels like a raging bull with 38 points, with “Geordie 101” and “Sveinstrand” battling it out for the £25 third place spot on 33 and 32 points respectively. You may also notice that competition organiser, Hugh de Payen, is in second on 42 points, but he doesn’t count for obvious reasons.

Check out the full table here.

If you missed out on joining the competition this time, don’t forget that there are not one but TWO chances per season to win big cash prizes. This competition will run until the end of this year, with a new one starting straight after that so be prepared and DON’T MISS OUT!

Getting back to this evening’s game though, as usual, I shall endeavour to post the teamsheets for the game below when they become available. One last thing, if anyone has any links to the game, please feel free to post them. I have also been informed that there will be radio commentary for the game courtesy of Radio Five Live Extra.

Howay the Lads!

Teams

Nottingham Forest: Camp (C), Lynch, Morgan, Gunter, Moloney, Greening, Moussi, Findley, McGuigan, Derbyshire, Tudgay.

Subs: Smith, Barnford, Freeman, Chambers, Reid, Majewski, Miller.

Newcastle United (4-2-3-1): Rob Elliot (G), Danny Simpson, James Perch, Fabricio Coloccini (C), Shane Ferguson, Dan Gosling, Danny Guthrie, Sylvain Marveaux, Mehdi Abeid, Hatem Ben Arfa, Pater Lovenkrands.

Subs: Tim Krul (G), Jeff Henderson, Paul Dummett, Gabriel Obertan, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Leon Best.

NUFCBlog Author: workyticket workyticket has written 1055 articles on this blog.

1. This is not the match to reintroduce benny. Someones gonna snap him and he’s gonna get injured again. Don’t risk him

2. Yep evening Worky and the rest. Any idea if Ben Arfa starting from the bench or from start?

Can’t seem to find any solid links to the game though.

3. GeordieDan says:
    September 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm

“Evenin’ Worky

Don’t know about u but I’m struggling for links tonight.”

Evening Dan, haven’t even started yet, though I thought it might be a problem. Haven’t been in that long and ust getting some scran before the game starts then I’ll be putting the teams up I suppose.

4. Agree with Micky can’t see the point in rushing BArfa back for this game….saying than he will probably be MOTM and Score a Hatrick…or get his legs smashed up within 10 minutes and we will see him again next year.
    Hope the players are up for this tonight a cup run would be good.

5. Risky. No one on the bench if it goes tits up.

Thought he would include Cabaye and Jonas on the bench. Suppose we’ve got Best and Sammy. Hope Marveaux plays a blinder, and also hope there is a link to the match! Can’t be arsed with the radio, it’s just a poor man’s tele.

6. AndyMac says:
    September 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

“Fcking H WT is that really the line up ? Or are you just pulling my plonker ?”

That’s what the official site sez Andy.

7. Jimbob says:
    September 20, 2011 at 7:20 pm

“.com say no overseas broadcasts… So I’m guessing no links…”

Seeing that is what filled me with trepidation yesterday Jimbob. :-(

“That’s what the official site sez Andy”

Do you think Pardwho reads this blog ? :lol:

9. GeordieDan says:
    September 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm

“The only other possible link I’ve found so far apart from the VIP one u mention Worky:”

Thanks GeordieDan.

SJT, have you tuned in to the lovely Jacqui Oatcake yet? :lol:

10. Why does Pardew insist on playing young Ferguson in the LB position, is he thick or something ?
    Kids no more a LB than Raylor, it should be obvious to anyone who has watched him play in both positions, he is much more effective as a winger.
    I assume he(Pardew) wants to see how Marveaux performs there (LW)
    So will it look something like,
    **********Elliott*********
    Simpson*Perch***Colo*Ferguson
    ***********Gosling***********
    Tiabe******Guthrie***Marveaux
    **********Ben Arfa***********
    ************Lovenkrands******

So if it’s just about giving some a runout and giving others a rest, then ok.
    But i hope he convinces himself that Ferguson is no LB.

11. sirjasontoon says:
    September 20, 2011 at 7:46 pm

“She’s not on Worky whooo hoooo !”

These gadgies are useless and not talking about what gannin’ on on the pitch at all. Give me the lovely Jacqui Oatcake anytime!

12. He’s the only other option for LB at this club right now chuck. Speaks volumes about the management !!!!!!!

PS WhTF is Tiabe ????

13. It is pretty bad…but I haver been spared all the players choice of boot colours and what the fans are wearing…YAWN.

14. Ferguson is obviously going to be playing left back a lot more now that his competition for LW is Jonas, Marveaux, and Sammy.
    Better chance of pushing through as an attacking left back.
    I don’t know what u twats are freakin out about. I’m excited about this line up. Plenty of pace and skill throughout the team! Should be a good contest. Especially with the 1500 nufc fans present

15. BlythMag says:
    September 20, 2011 at 8:09 pm

“They look a bit dodgy to me like, don’t really fancy clicking on them”

You’re right BlythMag. They’ll probably ask you to sign up and pay something, then have buggerall on there or something like that.

16. sirjasontoon says:
    September 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm

“Commentators grafting now Worky…must be reading the Blog”

Everyone reads this ‘blog SJT. I hope Jackie Oatcake’s reading anyway, and watching my gallant defence of her good self against surly brutes like you! :-)

What’s a “chunter” across the pitch FFS?

17. Evenin all, there is a radio comentary .
    BBC tv
    Red Button
    Midweek Final Score
    Left or Right Button to Sports Extra. 1-0 TOOOOOOON

18. Of all the ways we would have scored tonight, I did not think Lovenkrands would score a header from a cross!
    Apparently some good work from HBA and marveaux to create it!

Game on, 1-0!

19. Porciestreet says:
    September 20, 2011 at 8:25 pm

“Evenin all, there is a radio comentary .
    BBC tv
    Red Button
    Midweek Final Score
    Left or Right Button to Sports Extra. 1-0 TOOOOOOON”

I’ve put a link to the internet stream in the post as well Porciestreet.

20. Is Elliot a left-footed keeper as well? What are the chances of that. Sounds like Benny and Marveux are having a good game. I wouldn’t risk him for too long, 2-0 or midway through the second half and get him off!

21. By the sounds of things, Abeid has been one of our best players.

Gosling, once again, has been playing within himself. I really don’t know why…? Was awesome in pre-season. Clearly lacking confidence.

22. Andy M
    Whoops Tiabe ? Wrong Club !
    Ment Abeid .

Andrew T. (too many Andies) on here.
    Erm ! sure sammy Ameobi is a LW ?
    Not a bad problem to have, with Obertan, Jonas, Marveaux (all capeable of playing either wing)plus Ferguson and Sammy on the left.
    Suppose we could convert Ferguson into a playmaking inside left, but he will never make it as a LB, he’d be wasted there unfortunately.
    Like a lot of guys who start out as wingers and are converted to FB.s, look at Coleman at Everton, converted back to winger, because though great as an attacking wingback he was suspect, in the defensive role, same with the Spurs LB, quickly put on the wing by Arry.
    Hey i’m not saying this for argument sake, i have seen ferguson play at RB.

23. gotta make changes to keep ur reserve team happy, my only doubt is Loven cos i reckon he’ll be gone in Jan/Jul, and cant see him featuring unless we get desperate….

hopefully he’ll come off (although he scored, apparently harder to miss) for Sammy

24. There are a lot of toon players out there who are lacking match practice, hope they can make it through to the end…Ferguson, Perch, Guthrie, Marveaux….

Howay the lads…

25. Phisix says:
    September 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm

“Just got in. Does anyone know how well Benny played in this game?”

It’s still on Phisix. Extra time 3-3 now. Could be pens.

26. Dani M. says:
    September 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm

“Elliot has not made a single save today. He is awful. Why did Pardew choose him, anyway?”

27. Chance for Elliot to save something.

I hope we don’t throw this away, we’ve had a great chance.

WAIT… GOAL!!!!! Haha.

September 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm

“Charlton mafia Dani. Our new goalkeeping coach, Elliot and Pardew himself all worked together there.”

One save… in the end. It probably saved our skins. Good work Elliot. =D

29. Didnt hear many agreeing with me that defence was seriously lacking in depth. We shouldnt have been in a position where we needed to play either of the first choice back 4.

Elliot is a back up keeper. Simple as. Charlton cockney mafia line is boring. Harps will be back in when he is fit again, if he gets there

30. Jimbob says:
    September 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm

“Losing the lead 3 times to a really shite team is poor, no matter how anyone will try and sugar coat it.”

And you know they’ll try.

Never a dull moment.

HWTL

31. Raffo says:
    September 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm

“Harps will be back in when he is fit again, if he gets there”

Raffo, according to Pardew, Harper’s ok and wanted to play, but he thought that Elliot should have a go instead.

32. Clint.
    Yr dead right about the never say die thing. That attitude could take us a long way this season.
    Stoke up on pens

33. HWTL:-):-):-) A win is a win, no matter how stressful:-):-):-) I live in South Africa so the best I could get was live text updates. . . Not even a radio feed!!!

34. Marveaux is turning out to be a cracking player. Him on the left and move Guti to the right with Tiote and Cabaye in midfield, and Best up front with benny behind. Sounds like a recipe for winning!

35. porcie,
    aye mate.
    While we shouldn’t be allowing 3 in against Forest, we did hang in & scored 4.
    Can’t be that bad with a very changed squad.

All i need now is a cherry for the top…

…Oh yea!..HBA played some competitive football, as did Gosling & Abeid,
    Marveaux also got some game time & he sounded good.

36. Cut the guy some slack, he’s good enough to warm the bench now Harper’s knees are shot. hell give me some washing up gloves and i’ll do it. :)

37. Also, I haven’t seen the game but sounds like one was a ’round the ‘keeper’ type goal and another was a shot that not many would save. Remember he wouldn’t have had the protection tonight that Krul normally gets from Taylor and Tiote ect. ;)

38. Rob says:
    September 20, 2011 at 10:31 pm

“Not even a radio feed!!!”

Rob,

I put up a link two or three times for a radio feed you could have got down there. They were taking it from the Radio Five Live one.

39. We havn’t conceded many in the league! We let in a few tonight in the cup away from home, big deal we’re through arn’t we.

40. sirjasontoon says:
    September 20, 2011 at 10:41 pm

“When’s the draw JimBob?”

SJT, I was having a look on the Football League website just now, but it hasn’t released any news about it yet.

41. Just seen the goals on ssn.
    Elliot was unlucky for 2 of ’em, maybe shoulda cut out the 3rd, it was a cross along the goal line, got through him to an attacker to tap in.
    Our goals were good.
    1st was an excellent ball from HBA to Marv, who in turn put a great ball on to Loven’s heed, good stuff.
    2 was a nailed on pen for a foul on Marv, who looked great tbh.
    Simpson’s was probably a cross, lol.
    & the winner was an amazing outside of the foot cross from Obertan i think, right onto Colo heed, great goal.

42. SJT…

The Fourth Round draw takes place during Sky’s Soccer Saturday programme on Sat 24.09.2011 – ties are played in the week commencing Mon 24.10.2011.

Just seen the goals.

Benny but in a nice pass to Marv, good cross and header from the Lover. Penalty was, well, a penalty. Simpson’s was a fluke, and Colo’s was from a good outside of the right foot cross from Obertan.

Forest’s first was route one, and I don’t care what anyone says, Elliot may have done better. Their 2nd goal was awful defending again, and Elliot rushed out and was easily rounded. There 3rd goal was really bad defending from a cross, Elliot missed it, and there were two Forest players unmarked in the middle.

That is all I know so far.

43. Same as Clints observations then! Though he’s being too kind for the first two conceded. ;-)

Marv took the ball really well and burst into the box for the pen, so I think he was our main man from what I’m hearing. He and Benny will probs be on the bench for Saturday though.

44. jimbob,
    i think Elliot was, rightly expecting some better defending of the first & second goals
    like mate. It was pissing down & the ball was well struck for the first, dipping & skidding past him.
    Second, again, he was left a bit exposed & had to come for it, but was never gonna make it, if he had the attacker woulda ‘won’ a pen & he coulda went off.
    3rd was bad all round like.
    LOL

45. would you believe it! we won a 4-3 match!
    Boy, was I p!ssed off at 3-3 with penalties looming.
    BBC times the winner as 3 minutes of added time in extra time – don’t make life easy for me lads, just win the games in your own way in your own time – well done, you fought to the bitter end, which some said after the departure of Nolan & asbo you would not have the guts for, but it looks like we have a team with talent AND balls!
    enough, I need to lie down.

HWTL

46. Hey Worky ticket @40

I tried numerous radio stations including Radio 5 live sport extra. . . They all return an error as I am not in England I presume. . . Keep hearn that its nt available to my geographic location. . . Bummer!

47. I saw that earlier Worky. Good to see two SD signs and one Newcastle sign…

He can take the other fcker off now then, we don’t need 4 of them, and the little ones pasted everywhere.

Clint, I guess mate, does go to show how thin we are at the back. Just saw them again, really bad Forest’s 3rd ain’t it? :-)

Not sure what Colo and Ferguson (I think) were doing in the centre… Anyway, we made it in the end!

48. @workyticket #152

That sign is a fking disgrace, why doesnt the fat git just go the whole hog and rename the club Sports Direct FC.

49. No Tripp but played well and no knocks.
    5live went off on DAB so listended to rest on freeview.
    Shame these games are not on terrestrial crowd was 10,000 ish
    Wonder how many we will get for a home game?

20,000?

50. Think it’s 64 or 65 sports direct logos on the stadium now.
    Like a disease really sad being associated with such Trash.

51. Jimbob says:
    September 20, 2011 at 11:16 pm

“He can take the other fcker off now then, we don’t need 4 of them”

I believe it’s around 65 Sports Direct signs so far in total Jimbob, not counting the huge banners which now go on all the empty seats.

52. @sirjasontoon

If there’s a space anywhere he’ll cover it up with the sports direct logo.

Im surprised he doesn’t instruct the groundsmen to cut it into the pitch.

53. Sounds to me like we hung poor Fergie out to dry when Miller came on ?

I didnt see the game or bothered with the radio but Fergie’s not a left back, he’s thinner than the watered down beer you get at SJP and Miller aint exactly Tinkerbell. With two DM’s in a 4-2-3-1 it’s important that the two players have enough positional sense to protect the back four which doesnt appear to have happened ?

On the plus side good run out for HBA, at least he walked off this time :)

54. Perhaps they’ll start superimposing the logo for televised matches. I’m surprised there isn’t more of that over here in the States, actually. Hand egg (American football) is ideal for that sort of thing.

55. Zmiler says:
    September 20, 2011 at 11:25 pm

“Im surprised he doesn’t instruct the groundsmen to cut it into the pitch.”

Don’t give him ideas FFS Zmiler! :-)

56. jimbob,

aye mate, their 3rd was chronic.
    Bit of a make shift defense though.

Obertan’s cross to Colo was exceptional though hey?

57. Yeah Clint, looked good mate. I’d prefer Marveaux over Obertan though, but Marveaux just played 120 mins! So reckon Obertan will get the nod on Saturday.

Night mate.

58. Tripp says:
    September 20, 2011 at 11:41 pm

“Any match highlights for this one? I assume not, but can always hope.”

I will certainly hava a look around Tripp, but I don’t hold out too much hope either.

59. jimbob,
    Marveaux looks well good, nippy & dangerous.
    Can’t wait for him to get a bit more first team time.

Night mate.

60. Tripp,
    there’ll be a highlights show on tv tomorrow probably.
    If you’re not in the uk there still might be some highlights come available after that.

61. …turn the oven on, it smells like Dachau, & the rain pours through the ceiling…
    We can, you know we can…

62. …although I’d argue Folk Rock got there before Punk. Ian Anderson is a legend. And I say that whilst perched on one leg.

63. tripp says:
    September 21, 2011 at 1:23 am

“Tull rocks. Used to have every album until they got nicked.”

I had all my best vinyl albums nicked too tripp, or they just vanished once. I was a real nut in that way and some of ’em were worth a fortune. I put all the rarest, best ones in one box and guess which one went missing :-(

64. …and at that point, all bunny wabbits fell asleep, to the sweet lullaby of Fat Mickey.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz……..

65. Highlights from the match.

Without seeing the game it’s merely conjecture, but I don’t really think that Guthrie or Gosling are DMs. Gosling does seem like a good box to box player, but Guthrie’s a bit shy on the tackle and isn’t the strongest or the most mobile either.

As bad as Tiote has played at times (don’t give me the 84% completion crap, he’s given the ball away in horrible positions repeatedly) we need his energy and positioning in defense and would be right fooked without him.