Toon £4m deal for Douglas this summer?
Posted on April 11th, 2012 | 62 Comments |
The Dutch press appears to offer further suggestions that FC Twente’s Douglas is bound for Newcastle United this summer, although perhaps the most pertinent question is whether or not we lose any of our current stars this summer too.
Further to an article I posted last week about Newcastle’s interest in FC Twente’s Douglas Franco Teixeira, the Dutch football magazine ‘Voetbal International’ has said that the 24 year-old central defender is indeed likely to switch to Newcastle this summer.
They suggest that a fee of €5m (£4.12m) has been ‘prepared’, which is about half the figure I mentioned in the previous article (which I got from the ‘Transfermarkt’ site). This makes sense I suppose as he will in fact be out of contract this summer.
According to Voetbal International, Douglas wants to wait until late August to make the switch though. This is because he will then have spent 5 years playing his football in The Netherlands and can become a naturalised Dutchman, thus allowing him to play for The Netherlands’ national team, which is apparently his aim.
It’s probably worth pointing out that this is still very much in the category of a rumour but it seems to fit nicely with our requirements and our recruitment policy and I have a feeling in water about this one.
Given the recent performances of Williamson and Perchino and our current run of 3 clean sheets, Douglas may face a fight to earn a starting place, particularly when Steve Taylor comes back from injury. However, if – as is looking increasingly likely – we qualify for European football next season we’ll need some sort of depth to cope with the volume of games.
Then again we might struggle to hang on to some of our players if the big spenders come a-knocking. The profiles of the players like Hatem Den Arfa and Papiss Cisse are understandably high at the moment and you can be sure that other clubs will be taking notice.
There has also been some discussion about whether or not Demba Ba is happy with his recent role on the left of a front three (although is it just me but did we look more like a 4-4-2 in the first half of the Bolton game?). Ba was apparently unhappy at being substituted on Monday, about which Alan Pardew said:
“Demba was upset when I brought him off as I had just had a go at him about something.
“I was trying to get a reaction from him, if I am honest. I want him to be angry and fight.
“He will come out fighting. I know Demba, and I have no worries about him.
“He, Shola, Papiss and Hatem have massive roles to play for us between now and the end of the season.
“It was not Demba’s day, but it might be in two weeks’ time.“
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Ba in the summer. I must admit I have some trepidation about the summer transfer window and will be grateful if it closes without us losing too many star players.