The FA ruling on Callum McManaman, and Llambias’s response in full

Callum McManaman's vicious assault on Haidara.

McManaman – No further action from the FA.

The FA have finally made their statement on Callum McManaman’s vicious attack on Massadio Haïdara’s knee on Sunday, with news that they will be taking no further action.

In their statement on the assault, they claimed that “at least one” of the match officials saw the incident and chose not to take any further action at the time, hence they are powerless to take any further action. It read as follows:

“The FA can confirm that no action can be taken against Wigan Athletic’s Callum McManaman retrospectively following his side’s game against Newcastle United on Sunday 17 March 2013.

“Following consultation with the game’s stakeholders (the Premier League, the Football League, the Professional Footballers’ Association, the League Managers’ Association, Professional Game Match Officials Limited and the National Game) in the summer, it was agreed that retrospective action should only be taken in respect of incidents which have not been seen by the match officials.

“Where one of the officials has seen a coming together of players, no retrospective action should be taken, regardless of whether he or she witnessed the full or particular nature of the challenge. This is to avoid the re-refereeing of incidents.

“In the case of McManaman, it has been confirmed that at least one of the match officials saw the coming together, though not the full extent of the challenge. In these circumstances retrospective action cannot be taken.

“The principal objective behind the not seen policy is to address off the ball incidents where match officials are unlikely to be in a position to witness misconduct.”

Indeed, it is as the FA say in their report. If an incompetent match official said he saw the incident but chose to do nothing about it at the time, then there isn’t much the FA can do about it under the present system. However, according to Newcastle United’s Managing Director, Derek Llambias, the FA didn’t even have the courtesy to inform Newcastle United before going to the media, adding that he only learned of the decision via the media like everyone else.

In his own statement on the FA ruling, Llambias fumed:

“We are disappointed to learn that the FA is not going to charge the Wigan player. We were first notified of this decision by a national media outlet who received notification from the FA confirming the decision. This was prior to anyone from the FA having the courtesy to contact the Club to let us know,”

“It is clear from this decision that the current disciplinary procedures are not fit for purpose. Newcastle United, along with other clubs, have had players suspended for incidents reviewed after the game. Whilst not trivialising these incidents, they were not, in our opinion, of the seriousness of Callum McManaman’s tackle on Haidara.

“Whilst we understand that the current procedures give the FA limited options, it cannot be correct that the most serious offences – those which have the potential to cause another player serious harm – can go unpunished, even if the original incident was seen by match officials.

“We will now be making a strong representation to the FA and the Premier League to see how a more appropriate, fair and even-handed disciplinary process can be introduced at the earliest opportunity to prevent incidents of this nature going unpunished in the future.

“I am therefore disappointed and surprised by the comments he made yesterday, in particular his assertion that the tackle by Callum McManaman “was a fair challenge”.

“It is our strongly held opinion that the tackle on Massadio was extremely dangerous and is the type of challenge that has the potential to cause serious harm and such was the force, and reckless and dangerous nature of the challenge, even end a player’s career.

“It was not a fair challenge. This view is shared by countless former players, referees and well-respected media commentators. Indeed it appears to be only Dave Whelan who takes a contrary view.”

Before I sign off, I must say that I find it somewhat unsettling to find myself in complete agreement with the whole of a Derek Llambias statement!

Poll

avatar NUFCBlog Author: workyticket workyticket has written 1036 articles on this blog.

87 Responses to “The FA ruling on Callum McManaman, and Llambias’s response in full”

avatar DarthBroon says:

Well done, Degsie – for once.

avatar fatash says:

avatar DarthBroon says:

I think several people will be getting a lifetime supply of (substandard) pies out of this.

Worky: I think you should tout for advertising from some of the winners on that Pie Award site. The Pork, Apple & Cider Pie from Morecambe FC sounds fantastic. I hope we draw them in the cup next year :)

avatar GS says:

Was it the same linesman that missed the handball as well as the assault or were all the officials that day inept?

avatar DarthBroon says:

Just been looking at this. I know it’s just rubbing salt into the wound, but…

“The pictures that show the linesman’s view of McManaman’s horror tackle on Haidara… so why didn’t he flag for a foul?”

fatash says:
    March 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

“keep it up Derek I am even starting to think you may be good for the club.”

Whoah! There’s no need for that fatash!!!!!!!

Now you’ve written that, his next statement will be that the club is to be called “Sports Direct United” from now on, or something like that.

DarthBroon says:
    March 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm

“Worky: I think you should tout for advertising from some of the winners on that Pie Award site. The Pork, Apple & Cider Pie from Morecambe FC sounds fantastic. I hope we draw them in the cup next year”

Darth, I divven’t gan to Morecambe very often, but I think I’ve those Pieminister and Dunkley’s pies around in the shops.

avatar Aarno says:

It would have been better for McManaman if he’d been punished. This will guarentee animosity towards him permanently as well as more media attention and he’ll now more than likely be sued by NUFC. As a young player he’d have been better off being sent off and it done with. It’s time we had an overhaul of the FA. What do they do apart from select unsuitable managers for England and oversee the youth development that is 10 years behind Germany, Holland & Portugal? Did any of the fat cats even play football?

GS says:
    March 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

“NUFC.com have put up the FA definition of dangerous play. I don’t know who the linesman is that saw McManaman’s assault but maybe he should be reading the rule book again.”

They should know the offside rule too GS, yet I still saw this in Swansea’s last game but one. I had the phone in my lug and I was only watching it out the corner of my eye, yet I could still see that it wasn’t offside at all. It was a breathtakingly bad decicion that left me stupefied.

Aarno says:
    March 19, 2013 at 5:37 pm

“It would have been better for McManaman if he’d been punished.”

Aye, i was thinking something similar Aarno. You have a point there.

avatar GS says:

Aarno: all of those jobs at the FA and Premier League seem to be jobs for life. It even includes the PFA.

avatar castro says:

There is one thing that I am certain of is that had it been Joey Barton or Cheike Tiote who committed that foul the officials would somehow have seen the offence very clearly.

avatar workyticket says:

I added a postscript to the story above about John Carver and Graham Barrow being charged for their reaction to McManaman’s savagery.

avatar pete_toon says:

atash says:
    March 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

“Like you I am also suprised that I agree with Llambias though my opinion has been softening toward him since Christmas,keep it up Derek I am even starting to think you may be good for the club.”

That’s just sick. There’s no call for comments like that.

avatar pete_toon says:

“Postscript: Just to add to the piece above, there was further news from the FA that although McManaman will escape censure for his act of thuggery, Newcastle United’s assistant manager John Carver and Wigan coach Graham Barrow WILL be charged for their reactions to the incident, which led to them both being banished to the naughty step for the second half of last Sunday’s Wigan game.”

But wait. Wasn’t the incident seen and dealt with at the time? Isn’t this re-refereeing? Bunch of hypocritical b4stargs, the lot of them.

It is double standards.

Mcmanaman gets away with GBH just because a ball was in the general vicinity.

The whole crew of officials are blind and dumb and nothing is done.

Halsey is slow and old and still has a job where fitness is a requirement.

Carver confronts an official and yells at a player and faces a ban. Alex Ferguson gets away with the same thing numerous times a season.

avatar joe hawkins says:

there’s nothing that can be done, because halsey didn’t even give a free kick, so it’s out the window.
    it’s a pathetic rule, they should be able to go back, and look at the footage, and do himon the strength of the evidence.
    i’ve seen on wigan forums, saying that it was late, it was an accident etc.
    personally i’ve looked at it time and time again, and i’m still of the opinion, he made no attempt to go for the ball.
    he is right footed, and the ball is on his left side, so why didn’t he lunge for the ball with his left leg?
    he goes studs up with his right foot, then follows through with his right.

avatar joe hawkins says:

sorry, meant to say he follows with his left leg, ffs i’ll have to get wellies like jimmy cricket lol.

avatar TOONARMYELITE says:

F.A. = toothless dog

avatar sampdiago says:

You just have to laugh.Fcking joke with a crap punchline.The F.A. Are gutless,everybody knows that if that tackle was made by any Newcastle player there would be hell to pay,I hope nufc do sue the lad.I hear Whelan saying the tackle was fair,and the scum got the ball,it wasnt,and he didnt.Martinez had nuts enough to say it was a bad tackle,but mcmanaman is not a dirty player.Worky I need your skills because im sure in 2011 in an under 21 match he got sent off for a filthy challenge,but I suppose that match was his debut too and he was just over enthusiastic…

sampdiago says:
    March 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm

“Worky I need your skills because im sure in 2011 in an under 21 match he got sent off for a filthy challenge”

Manchester City’s Gai Assulin, sampdiago. I was researching it earlier.

Samp,

“Assulin was carried off on a stretcher with his right leg in a brace, after the tackle which – as on Sunday – caused friction between the two benches. A report of the 2011 match on City’s website states that “Assulin picked the ball up just inside Wigan’s half and Callum McManaman ran from City’s half and dived in very late and caught Gai on his right leg with the studs showing” .

avatar TOONARMYELITE says:

<<<<<<<<<< is sure the dirty git also went off on a strecher in that instants

avatar TOONARMYELITE says:

avatar GS says:

People should read The Daily Mail article @25. The bit from the “Ref in Training” is interesting. It also points out more instances of Halsey’s incompetence this season. You have to scroll down a fair bit to find it.

TOONARMYELITE says:
    March 19, 2013 at 7:12 pm

“seen a post from a wigan fan who claimed to be at the game said he was carried off on a strecher as well”

I posted a link to a match report for that City reserves game in comment 23 Toon. It’s the first link.

avatar TOONARMYELITE says:

so the dude that claimed to be at the match is a flippen lier

TOONARMYELITE says:
    March 19, 2013 at 7:38 pm

“so the dude that claimed to be at the match is a flippen lier”

That Man City one? There were only 388 people there according to the report. It was like a game at Benton.

Off topic, but:

Joey Barton causes trouble in England even when he is out of the country:

avatar DarthBroon says:

GS says:
    March 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm

“Joey Barton causes trouble in England even when he is out of the country”

The Tap & Spile in Darlo used to be my local, GS. Seen many a key toon (and England) game on the big screen in there. I bet Worky’s had more than the odd jar at “the tap” as well!

DarthBroon says:
    March 19, 2013 at 8:02 pm

“I bet Worky’s had more than the odd jar at “the tap” as well!”

Aye Darth, I lived in Darlo for a while and I’ve been in there but it was so long ago I must’ve been an underage drinker!

I used to go in that seedy club near the Railway Station where the Yorkshire Ripper used to go. Can’t remember the name of it right now but all the hoooahs used to hang out in there.

avatar Grumpy Old-Toon says:

Must admit I hadn’t spotted the handball prior to their goal, probably to much red in my vision at that point, not much that can be done now.

Not sure that suing the kid now is a good move either, it opens up a can of worms especially where players genuinely try to tackle fairly and mistime it, causing a serious injury.

TV evidence of this nature should be enough for the FA to take action in these incidences, who write the rules and why can’t they deal with it? Looks like a sweep it under the carpet job to me!!

Chuck, re your comment in previous blog, I resent you saying I aint a “half wit” I can be as half witted as anyone else on this blog!!

Haven’t seen the bit about Taylor cos I’ve been rather busy today, I assume he has had an England call up.

Well done Steve, well deserved.

Anyone know just how bad Haidara’s injury is yet?

avatar pete_toon says:

What I last heard, the swelling is too great to properly assess the injury at this time. A doctor mate of mine reckons that’s actually a good sign – there’s nothing obviously damaged from the x-rays and examinations. If it was a visible injury through the swelling, that would be a game over condition.

avatar pete_toon says:

Oh, and I agree – well done to Taylor for the call up. Poor bugger got kind of overlooked today cos of this sh!t

avatar DarthBroon says:

workyticket says:
    March 19, 2013 at 8:11 pm

“I used to go in that seedy club near the Railway Station where the Yorkshire Ripper used to go. Can’t remember the name of it right now but all the hoooahs used to hang out in there”

It was called ‘The Walking Cane’ when I knew it, Worky :)

A comment from the Daily Mail:

“So whelan says the tackle was ok … so if that happend three or four times during a match and those players were carried off its ok then….IDIOT… wHELAN YOUR INTEGRITY HAS GONE OUT OF THE WINDOW…… Im not a Newcastle fan….”

- geordie jim , newcastle, 19/3/2013 08:45

Daft Geordie ****! :lol:

John Barnes on McManaman:

“I don’t think he should be charged at all… I think he’s been very harshly treated.”

“Tackles like that happen every single day, in every single league, at least 60/70 times. At least.”

avatar sampdiago says:

Worky you are a proper bloke,I knew you would come with the goods.I feel the f.A. Would have made sure Taylor made the squad,to try and soften the blow.You me and my dead cat knew that the F.A. Would do nothing,Anichebe sued nufc for nolans tackle and got compo,that mcmanaman is a dirty player with no skill,he got angry that haidara was too quick and flicked the ball away,either he is stupid and slow witted he couldn’t work out he was never going to get the ball,or he just thought haidara was being flash and took him out.I think it is both,the way he followed through with no attempt to pull out at any stage or see if haidara was o.k. Tells you what type of scum he is.Cant see him getting away from St.James without a slap from carver…

avatar sampdiago says:

John Barnes is a confused pric*Any player manager or chairman who thinks the tackle was fine should not be allowed near the game.

avatar pete_toon says:

So, the FA “shows it’s teeth” by fining Zaha and banning him for a match for the appalling offence of flipping the bird. He should be jailed for such a horrible act.

avatar Pardiola says:

Probably the most sensible thing Dekka has ever said. I agree with every single word of it.

I’m still raging at the fact that standing there in the away end I seen how high the tackle was, nothing given, then seen his intentional hanball and he still didn’t even recieve a yellow for that either. I knew at that moment we would lose, Halsey is a homer and has been awful since he’s came back he is finished as a referee and is in a job out of pity

With regards to the no re refereeing of games. Laughable comment from the FA as always. The red card that Martin Atkinson (who gave no foul or card to De Jong on Ben Arfa and that wasn’t charged after either) sent off Rodwell for Everton against Liverpool on Suarez where he proper jumped up screaming after he brushed his socks and it was clearly not a red.

Now, the ref seen that incident obviously as he sent off Rodwell albeit incorrectly and the FA rescinded that red card so how is that not re refereeing games?!

Baffling

avatar sammy d says:

FA= Fkn Arseholes who do Fk All but sit on their Fat Arses and Fk us All

avatar GS says:

Chuck man, you have to have thicker skin than you are showing. You really have gone down in my estimation. Someone who can give it out but can’t take it, is a bully. I thought you were better than that.

avatar GS says:

Worky, that’s the last thing I am saying on the Chuck subject.

avatar Tripp says:

The self-imposed rules make no sense what so ever. What a joke. I really don’t understand the resistance to review… except that it makes match fixing more difficult.

Football refs regularly make a hash of it, they need all the help they can get.

avatar workyticket says:

GS, I’m sure you have a crush on him.

avatar GS says:

Nah. I read that other site and it is not bad when Batty and Troy stay away.

avatar GS says:

Tripp: I saw something that said it was decided by the FA, Premier League, PFA, and League Manager’s Association. So, as usual the compromise ends up serving no-one particularly well.

avatar Tripp says:

I’m not sure how a “well we saw it and made a decision… turns out it was the wrong decision by a mile, but we made a decision so we can’t review it” philosophy serves anybody well at all… other than the offending player and perhaps the official(s) who made the call. Why would an organization ever make it impossible to review a judegment that was made in haste under difficult circumstances. That just makes no sense what so ever.

GS says:
    March 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm

“Nah. I read that other site and it is not bad when Batty and Troy stay away.”

.com? .cock? Or have you been stalking him on both, GS?

avatar GS says:

Worky: I’ll go on Ed’s now and then if the “newsnow” feed is down :)

avatar GS says:

Tripp @51: because it is four organisations coming to something that they think is a compromise that ends ups serving nobody – as you so correctly say.

GS says:
    March 20, 2013 at 5:45 pm

“Worky: I’ll go on Ed’s now and then if the “newsnow” feed is down”

It’s like feeding time at the zoo on there.

avatar tunyc says:

This is why violence in ice hockey is a good thing. You know why guys in that sport don’t swing their sticks at each others’ heads or slam guys into the boards from behind? Because every team has a few guys of the 6′+/200lb+ variety who are there strictly to beat senseless any coward like this clown who wants to take out their players. I watched Tony Twist break many eye sockets, jaws & noses. The Blues had an immensely talented team at that point. Players didn’t take liberties with the talent because, though the ref & league may look the other way, they didn’t feel like spending nights in the hospital and taking their meals through a straw for weeks.

If an official saw that and didn’t even think it’s a foul they should never officiate a match again.

Oh, and finally: boils my p!ss that I’ve seen Tiote both booked and dismissed for incidents where there was no contact at all but this can’t be punished. Ridiculous, and I would certainly look to send a message to Wigan next time we play them. Really hoping Wigan are relegated and McManaman catches something very embarrassing and uncomfortable…

tunyc says:
    March 20, 2013 at 7:23 pm

“Because every team has a few guys of the 6′+/200lb+ variety who are there strictly to beat senseless any coward like this clown who wants to take out their players.”

Tunyc, we used to have the burglar’s best friend, Drunken Ferguson. He was once jailed for an offence (a Glasgow kiss) he wasn’t even booked for when he played for Rangers. No player ever wanted to get on the wrong side of him.

avatar DarthBroon says:

workyticket says:
    March 20, 2013 at 7:51 pm

“Tunyc, we used to have the burglar’s best friend, Drunken Ferguson.”

He wasn’t really a designated ‘enforcer’ though, worky, was he? He just took it upon himself to attack people in between scoring some pretty impressive goals :)

I think King Kev bought Killer to do that job to an extent and, probably, Darren Peacock – but he turned out to be a bit soppy in the end. Didn’t Juninho (the little Boro version) break his leg once?

DarthBroon says:
    March 20, 2013 at 10:31 pm

“I think King Kev bought Killer to do that job”

I’m sure that Ferguson even headbutted a bizzie once. In one of his two burglar bashings, he said he punched the intruder once in the face. He was in hospital for two days.

I do remember seeing 5’5″ Juninho beating 6’2″ Peacock to a header once, which was quite funny.

avatar DarthBroon says:

“I always thought he was a Tramp who had somehow managed to wander on to the pitch Darth.”

:lol:

Aye, he was a sight alright, worky, but he didn’t wander onto the pitch that often!

Same with Ferguson, unfortunately. He wasn’t with us for long, but I’ll never forget his goal in the 3 – 0 against Man U in 2000. It was worth buying him for that alone.

avatar workyticket says:

Darth, if you recall, Ferguson had alot of injury problems when he joined us, and they continued when went back to Everton. He hardly played in his first season, then he had a decent one where he played quite alot, then he hardly played in his first season back at Everton, then he had a decent one again and so on…

GS says:
    March 20, 2013 at 3:39 pm

“You really have gone down in my estimation.”

For some reason, I always get a picture of an angry little gadgie with massive headphones on jabbing away with his finger whenever I hear or read that expression.

avatar GS says:

Worky @62: I have no idea what you are talking about or even if you are talking about me. I was trying to goad someone who seeks attention to come back on because sometimes it is just you an him on here.

I can only read so many of the comments on Ed’s before my head threatens to explode and I wonder about the state of the education system. Same when I see Troy and Batty, so I have to get NUFC out of my system on here.

GS says:
    March 21, 2013 at 12:54 am

“Worky @62: I have no idea what you are talking about”

avatar workyticket says:

Watching that again, I still laugh when I hear Kev rant “I’ve kept really quiet about this.” Kev can’t keep quiet about anything.

avatar Gremlin No1 says:

If you’re interested, there is an online petition to look to get the laws changed. Probably will make no difference, but it may make you feel better….

Not sure if link will work – did it on my iPad. You may need to copy and paste.

TOON IN EUROPE

HA!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for that Gremlin.

GS says:
    March 21, 2013 at 3:06 am

“Worky @64: We didn’t really have any football/soccer coverage here when Keegan did that so I have never seen the full rant before.”

You must’ve missed all the best NUFC soap then GS if they didn’t cover the Hall / Shepherd years properly over there.

avatar GS says:

Worky: I watched the cup finals at the only pub that showed them. Fox soccer didn’t start up until Robson’s time.

I did read about the Douglas Hall night out in Spain thing. The only time I saw a Keegan game was when I was in London and they showed the 0-1 Man U game where there seemed to be a force field guarding their net. I have since seen a few others that they show as “classic” games when there is a bloody international break.

avatar workyticket says:

You misssed all the fun then GS :-)

On the Spanish Brothelgate thing with the Fake Sheikh, strangely, people seemed to ignore what was probably the most offensive part in amongst all the fans are mugs / Geordie lasses are dogs / Shearer is Mary Poppins stuff – Fat Freddy the racist perv. He liked lesbians in handcuffs apparently, so long as they weren’t “coloured” lasses as he didn’t like coloured lasses at all.

avatar GS says:

Worky: I was back in London for a few days during Keegan part 1. I was talking to an Arsenal fan friend and he was telling me how good Newcastle were and I wouldn’t believe him, I thought he was yanking my chain. I just didn’t think it was possible for NUFC to have a good team. Of course we all know what happened and we fulfilled our destiny of breaking everybody’s hearts.

avatar tunyc says:

worky @ 59: kinda like Victor Moses beating Willo to a header?!

(sorry, couldn’t resist!)

avatar workyticket says:

Hughton’s had an £8 million bid accepted to buy Ricky van Wolfswinkel in the Summer apparently. Delia will have to bring out a new cookery book to pay that off if it happens. It’ll be their record signing by a long way.

avatar jack72 says:

half decent striker Wolfswinkel anall Worky.
    Mcmannamen the little scroat should be banned for years if thats twice he’s getting away with snide OTT tackles.he’s really ganna fk someones career,if he has’nt already.

jack72 says:
    March 22, 2013 at 4:18 am

“half decent striker Wolfswinkel anall Worky.”

Jack, he might not be the dog’s bollocks, but he is the wolf’s winkel!

I’ll get me coat.

avatar joe hawkins says:

not for me!, look at that other scottish kid, supposed to go on to be a world beater, “goodwillie”, he’s done f all, so they might as well call him “badcock”.

avatar sampdiago says:

I just read that Colo has been seen watching san-whoevertheyare,shock horror,yollocks again from the press,correct me if im wrong,but has he been in Argentina whilst recuperating from his injury?and doesn’t his pa work for that club..wow,.I see Haidaras escaped ligament damage,but got bruising to the bone?!that is some savage tackle,dirty little bas@&*

avatar jack72 says:

@75 Worky says
    “i’ll get my coat”
    your taxi is already booked Worky mate. :-)

avatar workyticket says:

I’m sorry about the lack of blogs over the past few days, I just can’t seem to get motivated at the moment. I hate it.

avatar sampdiago says:

Worky what’s up brah,who pissed you off?I will do em.

avatar Tripp says:

Ha was at the US v Costa Rica match last night. Absolutely mental. 4 inches of snow on the pitch by the end of the match. The football was dire, but the atmosphere was great (by our standards anyways). The Costa Ricans must have lamented their lot, playing at 5280′ above sea level in a winter storm. The grounds crew worked their socks off keeping the lines clear of snow, even working on the empty end of the pitch when they had the chance. They nearly called the match in the 52nd minute, but after a few minutes of deliberation, they carried on. Memorable night to be sure. The snow’s still lashing down outside as I type.

sampdiago says:
    March 23, 2013 at 9:28 am

Worky what’s up brah,who pissed you off?I will do em.

:lol: No, no-one in particular Samp, I’ve just had enough at the moment and have better things to do with my life.

GS says:
    March 23, 2013 at 2:43 pm

“Worky: it is the international doldrums. They didn’t even show San Marino in the U.S.

If you check out newsnow, nobody else is writing anything either, even those who get paid to do so.”

Well that’s not the case with me GS. I can see things to write about, but then I start trying to write them and just end up being distracted rather than finishing them the way I should.

avatar BLYTH MAG says:

this site seems much different on my laptop Worky than on my phone.av had to make anew user name and e-mail.think my phone account is through googlemail..just incase your wondering it’s jack72.

avatar workyticket says:

Jack / Blyth, if you could be a bit more specific about your problem, I will try to help you.

Are you saying that you registered and used to login as Jack with your mobile, but when you try to login using your laptop your old login details no longer work?

Or are you saying it’s the other way ’round (ie you set up your registration on a laptop and you can’t login on your mobile)?

avatar WBD says:

In a sense Halsey is being used as a scapegoat by the FA. True that, Halsey have ground to argue that he really didn’t see the tackle as someone ran past him that time. Claim it as an honest mistake. But the FA’s refusal to correct the mistake only serves to make Halsey the heat magnet while the FA runs away scot-free.