Betway betting sites banner

Archive for tag: Aly Cissokho.

Cissokho clears up Toon transfer kerfuffle

January 16th, 2012 | 12 Comments |

Aly Cissokho.
Cissokho: "I am waiting for the green light."
Late last week, various organs of the French media were confidently reporting that Olympique Lyonnais left back, Aly Cissokho, was going to be in Toon earlier today for a medical, with Sky Sports reporting in another story that:

“Sky Sports now understands that although the Magpies did have an interest in the player, they have now opted against a deal.”

Adding later:

“St James’ Park sources also confirmed that talk of a medical were wide of the mark”

Well now Cissokho himself has come out to add to the transfer intrigue. Speaking in an interview to the same Sky Sports who pooh-poohed the speculation at the end of last week, the 24 year old said of Newcastle United’s interest:

“I am waiting for the green light from Lyon.”

“I am a Lyon player and if they agree a fee with a club, I will then talk to that club.

“But nothing is done yet and I have not been to Newcastle for a medical.

“Newcastle and Lyon are talking about me, but there are other teams interested as well.” (more…)


Conflicting reports on Cissokho Monday medical at Toon

January 14th, 2012 | 13 Comments |

Aly Cissokho - On his way to Toon?
Aly Cissokho - On his way to Toon?
Several reports in the French media, including Lyon’s “Le Progrès” this morning, have claimed that Olympique Lyonnais and their left back, Aly Cissokho, have agreed a deal with Newcastle United, and also that the player will be in Toon on Monday for a medical.

There was nothing definitive on a price, though OL are known to be looking for around €10 million (£8.5 million), or €9 million (£7.5 million) if pushed, which they certainly would be by our pasimonious fat controller, Mike Ashley. This would be a big loss on the €15 million they paid Portuguese F.C.Porto for him in 2009.

My decidedly dodgy translation of Le Progrès’ story (which I had to pay a subscription for) from it’s original French goes thus:

“Yesterday, he was declared withdrawn because of muscular pains, but unofficially it seems to be a “diplomatic” injury. Cissokho is in fact awaited for a medical visit at Newcastle on Monday and it is evident that in the valuation of the selling club (€9 million minimum), no risk was going to be run. Yesterday, Rémi (Garde – OL’s manager) recalled that he was an important player for the team, but that a transfer was possible.” (more…)


Pieters deal dead, Cissokho deal cooling. Santon now seems most likely.

August 30th, 2011 | 34 Comments |

Santon the most likely new Newcastle United left-back.
Most likely option
Erik Pieters’ alleged move to Newcastle United appears to be dead in the water, interest in Aly Cissokho is cooling, so Davide Santon seems the most likely to be our new left-back.

It seems press reports that Erik Pieters is ‘close’ to joining Newcastle are wide of the mark if the Dutch press is anything to go by.

Various Dutch newspapers are reporting that Pieters will stay at PSV after talks with Newcastle broke down last week.

It’s seems that a disagreement about transfer conditions was at the heart of the problem, although some of the press are suggesting that, because the talks were dragging on, PSV withdrew anyway because they would not be able to find anyone to replace Pieters at this late stage in the transfer window.

Pieters’ agent, Piet van der Pol, said: “PSV will not sell Peter.(more…)


Pardew still hopes for 2 or 3 players, with Davide Santon being the latest rumour

August 29th, 2011 | 35 Comments |

Davide Santon is the latest in a long line of players 'linked' to Newcastle United.
Santon: latest target?
Alan Pardew remains determined to bring in “two or three” players before the transfer window closes with an Inter Milan fullback being the latest alleged target.

It’s going to be a tense few days as the transfer window heads to a close and, personally, I’ll be glad when it does. At least we’ll know where we stand. It’s the continual hope that’s the killer!

So where do we stand at the moment?

Last week, Alan Pardew said that he hopes to add two or three players to the squad before the transfer window closes, with the obvious requirements being a new left-back and a striker. And, speaking yesterday, Pardew stands by his aims. Pardew said:

There will only be a sense of relief when the window closes if we get these two players in, otherwise I will be disappointed

We’ve had a great start and I think the players have proved they are committed to Newcastle.

The club is everything. It’s not about the owner, the manager, the players, it’s about the club and the fans. (more…)


Pieters a cert. Hang on, no he isn’t. How about Cissokho instead?

August 27th, 2011 | 47 Comments |

Cissokho allegedly still a Newcastle United target.
Most likely? Or not.
Newcastle United are still hunting for a new left-back with either Erik Pieters or Aly Cissokho looking as if they’re the most likely targets.

There are confusing and contradictory reports flying around about Erik Pieters and his potential transfer to Newcastle.

Some of the British press seems to be hinting that it’s almost a ‘done deal’, with The Journal quoting Pieters as saying:

If a club from the Premier League says they want you, and that is the case, then you know the financial means they have.

Whether I play for PSV at Excelsior on Sunday or am already at Newcastle I do not know.

I have not seen much of Newcastle myself but my friend Tim Krul keeps me informed.

However, contrary to the British press, the Dutch press seem to think that Erik Pieters will stay at PSV. The Dutch football news site Voetbal Primeur is carrying a report that suggests PSV’s Technical Director Marcel Brands told Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad that he now expects Pieters to remain at PSV. (more…)